PDA

View Full Version : Just took first Propranalol

benjibin
30-06-11, 23:01
Hi all,

just took my first propranolol (10mg) after having the tablets for over 3 weeks. Not sure if I'm more scared that they will make me feel ill or that they wont work!
Really need to get panic attacks under control as need to get back to work.

diane07
30-06-11, 23:03
Hi benjibin

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Carrera74
01-07-11, 12:28
Hello :welcome:

I have just started taking these too as I am struggling to leave the house due to anxiety and panic attacks. I am hoping they will break the cycle so I can get back to work.

There's lots of good advice on here and lots of nice people to share experiences and worries/successes with :)

benjibin
01-07-11, 15:13
Well, I wasn't sure if the one I took last night actually worked as I was at home and relaxed...well sort of!! But, at least I knew I felt OK after taking it, so i took one this morning before heading off to work for a 3 hour day. (The start of my phased return to work) It was amazing, I cycled to work (a lot of it uphill) and wasn't even out of breath.( I know now why athletes are banned from using them!) It seemed to last for about 3 hours and then I starrted getting a bit jittery, so not sure if I need a higher dose. Will try them out for a week or so and then decide what to do next.
Glad I bit the bullet and took the tablet.

Carrera74
01-07-11, 15:49
Fab :)

I used to take these years ago and could feel them wearing off too. I started taking the slow release ones and they were so much more better.

I am having a different experience with the slow release ones this time but just hoping it is my body getting used to no adrenaline when I have been living on it for so long!

benjibin
01-07-11, 17:23
What dose are the slow release ones and how many do you have to take?
I am on part time hours for 3 weeks then have a 6 week break and then back full time so want to use the time to get the dosage etc right.My boss is great but not sure he will tolerate me taking to long to get back to full time

PanchoGoz
01-07-11, 18:25
I haven't mustered up the courage to take one yet. I've had a pack for about 2 months and everytime I think about taking one my mind says "no - your fine - really - it will be ok - not panicking at all". :blush:

benjibin
01-07-11, 18:44
I know how you're feeling but I'm so glad I took it. My son who has a brain tumour and is on medication said " Mom, just take the tablets, the doctor said they'll help so trust them. I Did!!They know what they're doing." He's right, no-one is going to give you something that is going to make you worse.

Carrera74
01-07-11, 22:46
Aw bless him. He's right :)

I'm on 80mg slow release, one a day. I take it in the morning and I believe it releases over 24 hours.

I'm dreading going back to work!!

daybyday
01-07-11, 23:12
I know Propanalol slows adrenaline, but will it slow the heart too much and too low bp?
I tried atenelol twice. First time fine, This last time, not. I think they are the same a beta blocker. Or do they work differntly?

Tyke
02-07-11, 03:34
I know Propanalol slows adrenaline, but will it slow the heart too much and too low bp?
I tried atenelol twice. First time fine, This last time, not. I think they are the same a beta blocker. Or do they work differntly?
These drugs can be used to treat high blood pressure, so they probably wouldn't prescribe them if you had low blood pressure to start with. Most people would be fine on them. The main restriction is for anyone who has asthma as it can worsen that. As far as I know, all the beta blockers work in a similar way.

I have taken them before and found them great for reducing physical anxiety, but can feel a bit strange on them as I can still feel a bit panicky in my head, but the body doesn't react physically.

Tyke

benjibin
02-07-11, 08:12
I didn't notice my heart slowing down at all. Just noticed that after a strenuous cycle ride that it wasn't racing. Felt strange but great at the same time! If they are prescribed for heart conditions too then they must be ok. To be honest I was so fed up with the racing heart and panic that I just took them in the end. The anxious thoughts are still there but I hope in time if I can keep the symptom under control then I can also control the thoughts.
Not sure about atenolol. But the propranolol worked for me.

benjibin
02-07-11, 08:25
Aw bless him. He's right :)

I'm on 80mg slow release, one a day. I take it in the morning and I believe it releases over 24 hours.

I'm dreading going back to work!!

How do they feel? Its quite a high dose compared to my 10mg. Do they last all day and can you feel them wearing off? I think I like the idea of being able to feel them wear off so being able to take another one if I need to.
Can you do a phased return to work? I am doing phased return at the moment but to be honest if I can't cope I will just go off sick again and try again once i've got my head together. I suppose it depends on your employer but I think mine has realised that its better that I am in for a bit than not at all.

Carrera74
02-07-11, 12:24
For the last few days I have been really tired but *touch wood* it's getting better. I think my body has just been getting used to not running on adrenaline which it has been doing for so long.

I did feel jittery for the first few days in the evening. I am not sure if this was the tablets wearing off or because I had got myself so worked up about taking them.

Carrera74
02-07-11, 12:26
I used to take the instant release ones but hated the jittery feeling I got later in the day. The doctor prescribed the slow release ones automatically. I won't try to fixate on the fact it is a high dose lols.

I have an appointment with Occupational Health on Monday so will ask about a phased return. I'd hate to go back and not be right then have to go off sick again. I've done that already :(

benjibin
07-07-11, 10:07
Well, have been on Propranolol for a week now and the panic attacks have come back with a vengeance. I have upped the dose to 20mg 3 times a day and am now experiencing panic attacks at nights as well. Something I haven't had before. I am so down at the moment, and would like to know if this could be a side effect of the propranolol. Could they also be causing my panic attacks to get worse? Just can't seem to caslm down. Will this stop or should I stop the propranolol?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated? I am trying to stay at work but finding it increasingly difficult to do so.

blueangel
07-07-11, 10:20
Hi there

The propranolol won't stop the panic attacks themselves, as they are caused by your thoughts (and your reactions to them). What the propranolol will help with is the physical effects of the panic that are caused by your body being flooded with adrenaline, which is what we produce as a response to what we think is danger.

To be honest, you're probably better off at work, as at least that gives you things to think about. If you're at home all day there is a danger that you won't have anything else to think about other than how you're feeling.

hope this helps!

Carrera74
07-07-11, 13:20
Maybe you are feeling the panic at night as the tablets have worn off? That was the feeling I used to get when I took the instant release ones. My physical symptoms seem to have eased a lot but the mental anxiety is still there.

I have been out a few times this week and have felt the panic in my head but it doesn't get carried away into a full blown panic attack although it has felt like it would do. I'm not sure if this is the right drug for me but I hope that in another week I'll feel better and gain more and more confidence about going out and about :(

benjibin
07-07-11, 14:29
Hi there, you could be right. I am going to try going without the dose on the evening as I don't really need it. Hopefully that will help with the panics in my sleep!! They are helping I'm sure of it and I think the dizziness and nausea are just side effects that should settle down. At leats my appetite seemes to have returned which is good. I am really struggling at the moment but am determined to beat this and get back to normality. I miss my old self, being able to drive on my own and go to work and just smile. I know she's in there somewhere she's just got lost for a bit :)

Carrera74
07-07-11, 14:30
I'm struggling too. It's rubbish isn't it. I miss my oldself too. I wish she'd get a move on and show herself lols. I guess she will when she's ready. Keep at it :) xx