PDA

View Full Version : Work worries

scoob
01-07-11, 00:53
Hi all,

i'm off on sick leave for stress, depression and anxiety. I have been on 20 mg of cit for five weeks now and just feel that i'm existing day to day. I sat in my garden today and it felt as if i no longer worked at my job. I'm not sure if this is the anxiety, the depression or I was just having a moment.
i cannot contemplate going back but my sick note runs out next week and my doc thinks I should bite the bullet and try and go back.
I' just after some advice from anyone who has been in a similar position as i feel scared and anxious but also know i cannot just exist day to day.

:scared15:

cattttt
01-07-11, 06:06
How about a staged return to work, say a few hours the first day, a bit longer the next and working up to a whole day. How long you take over it depends on what you can arrange, but it would be better than cold turkey straight in.

Johno
01-07-11, 06:48
:)
Hi all,

i'm off on sick leave for stress, depression and anxiety. I have been on 20 mg of cit for five weeks now and just feel that i'm existing day to day. I sat in my garden today and it felt as if i no longer worked at my job. I'm not sure if this is the anxiety, the depression or I was just having a moment.
i cannot contemplate going back but my sick note runs out next week and my doc thinks I should bite the bullet and try and go back.
I' just after some advice from anyone who has been in a similar position as i feel scared and anxious but also know i cannot just exist day to day.

:scared15:

Hi Scoob,

I am in the same position as you. Over six weeks off work with Anxiety and Depression, mostly due to a work incident. Still signed off for another 3 weeks. Now on 40mg of citalopram. Lots of visits to Doctors and two councilling sessions. One interview at work. Was supposed to return about 3 weeks ago but couldn't. I am considering asking for a phased return as suggested as I think this will help rather than jumping in cold. I am worried how my so called work mates will take this as I have already been noticed walking around town and trying to get better by do normal things also visiting my wife at work, we work in the same place. Somebody complained to my bosses boss who belives I should be back at work if I can do this. Like you I now feel like I am just existing.

I am going to fight this though and get occupational health to support me with a phased return as like you you have good days and bad days.

I hope this helps with any decisons you make.:)

blueangel
01-07-11, 09:01
Hi Johno and Scoob

There's been a lot of research done on the whole issue of work and anxiety/depression. The outcome of this is that phased returns to work are resoundingly better than diving in at the deep end. Also, you're better easing yourself back in sooner rather than later as being absent from work for a long time can lead to a phobia of returning, and this can happen to people with physical illnesses as well, for some reason.

It's a completely reasonable request to ask for one, but you need to make sure there is proper support for it.

If either of you need a hand in what things to ask for, drop me a PM and I'll get back to you.

Groundhog
01-07-11, 10:21
Hi Scoob
Just to echo what the others have said a phased return is the best option and usually works very well. I work in a secondary school and we have teachers of all the time with stress, three at the moment, and whenever they return they do so on a part time basis. This is generally afternoons first (Two 1 hour lessons) then mornings only ( three 1 hour lessons) then all day when they are ready. There is also often provision for their classes to have a teaching assistant present and they often swap known troublesome lessons within the faculty until they feel ready.
Your doc is right though you need to get back – easier said than done I know.
Good luck :)

scoob
01-07-11, 14:38
Thanks for the responses guys.

Going back is always on my mind at the moment. My boss got a temp in pretty much as soon as I disclosed depression and stress as the reason I needed sick leave. this worried the life out of me as a friend in the same office recenlty quit due to stress and also because they were told they would recieve a warning for the amount of time they had off ill. Two other staff have also quit in the last 2 months as they just hated the place and wanted out.

I have had facebook rumours that I have left under a cloud and all that sort of shenanigans which has really helped my recovery (not!!!). I have had no contact with work apart from my very breif conversations with the boss basically telling her every fortnight that i will be off another two weeks.
Has anyone got advice about how to start the dialogue with work. I'm due back on Wednesday.

S :scared15:

Johno
01-07-11, 15:29
Hi Johno and Scoob

There's been a lot of research done on the whole issue of work and anxiety/depression. The outcome of this is that phased returns to work are resoundingly better than diving in at the deep end. Also, you're better easing yourself back in sooner rather than later as being absent from work for a long time can lead to a phobia of returning, and this can happen to people with physical illnesses as well, for some reason.

It's a completely reasonable request to ask for one, but you need to make sure there is proper support for it.

If either of you need a hand in what things to ask for, drop me a PM and I'll get back to you.

Thanks for advice Blue Angel, have just PM you. I know what you mean about fear of work. I also dont' want to have to do a full shift as I may not be able to finish it and this would make feel like I was failing.:)

blueangel
02-07-11, 21:39
Hi Scoob

I suggest you get in touch with your boss and request a return to work meeting - are you going back as a phased return, or just jumping straight back in? I'd recommend that you try and phase it in even if you only do this over a couple of weeks. Make it clear to them that you really do want to get back into this but are going to need a bit of support.

scoob
03-07-11, 12:39
Thanks Blue angel,

I have had no contact from work since I was signed off. I will try and put an e-mail together for my boss tonight and see how the land lies. I was planning to just bite the bullet and go full time as I have a holiday booked for aa week on the 23rd so hopefully will be ok and the holiday will give me space to think if the job is for me. Have a feeling that the answer is that I have had enough of the sector.
Thanks for all your time and advice.

S