PDA

View Full Version : Useful bit of info? Vitamin D

blueangel
01-07-11, 09:10
Hi all

I went to see my GP yesterday to review my progress on citalopram, and he was telling me about some fairly recent research on anxiety and depression.

Rates of anxiety and depression increase the nearer the North and South poles you go - obviously, a big part of this is exposure to light, and the links with Seasonal Affective Disorder.

However, something else that has just been picked up is a link with Vitamin D deficiency. Our major provider of Vitamin D is the sun, as we synthesise it through our skins. Dark-skinned people (e.g. Asians, Africans) don't synthesise quite as much as fair-skinned people, as the body works on the assumption that they are going to receve far more exposure to the sun.

In the far Northern and Southern hemispheres, somewhere between 70% and 90% (!) of dark-skinned people are deficient in Vitamin D, some severely. Fair-skinned people have problems with this too, as between 30% and 50% of them are lacking it as well.

We store Vitamin D in our livers, and our supply of it can last for a few months. What tends to happen though is that by about April or May, these supplies have gone - and guess what, rates of depression climb very steeply in these months!

He has recommended that I give Vitamin D a try - it's not one of the vitamins that are toxic in large doses, but evidently there are high dose tablets for sale in most chemists that will do the job fine if you take one a day in the summer and two in the winter.

Hope this helps someone.

Ingenious
01-07-11, 14:34
I've read a lot about that too - and how the suicide rates are higher in countries like Finland which can be quite dark for a long time. I've used a SAD light for many years and a couple of years ago I also bought a sun bed (harder to get hold of these days because they're out of fashion - skin cancer worries). In the winter months I try and spend a short time each week under the UV light - only enough to get a slight tan and the therapeutic benefits and well within the safe guidelines for skin cancer - and it does seem to help. Not just (maybe) the vitamin D, and I replaced the tubes with ones that mimic the sunlight mix of UVB/A, but the "feel good" factor of being a shade other than deathly pale white :)

JaneC
02-07-11, 09:45
Really glad you posted this Blueangel - the illnesses my husband and I have in addition to depression, MS and CFS/ME, both have a possible vitamin D connection and your post gave me a kick up the bum to go and buy some.

I've been considerably less tired (and less depressed) for the last couple of months and had been wondering if it was to do with the longer days (in Scotland so haven't actually seen very much sun :mad:).

So we're both going to give it a go, although I'm not sure if the summer is the best time to start. Please let us know if you think it makes any difference to you xx

PanchoGoz
02-07-11, 11:10
This is very interesting! And Britain has had *no* summer in the last 4 years, so maybe thats contributing to the rising numbers of depresseion? In fact, maybe its the cause of a lot of the moody people on our streets...
My anxiety is worst in april and may like you say. I'm guessing it drops for people in June where we have our usual week of summer somewhere in that month. I am adding this to my supplement list which I am building now, along with magnesium and B vitimins.