PDA

View Full Version : A release of some emotional pain

Brokenmum
01-07-11, 10:53
Hello there,

Thought that I would post this as my thoughts this morning go through a dark stage.
Having an emotional morning, taken my tablet and so hoping that it kicks in fast.
I have this incredible urge to self harm, so I am hoping this will destract me from doing so. Please note that my self harm is not a cry for help or of the attention seeking kind.
It is my way of self punishment, for being weak, a failure in myself.
I just seem to be in this most awful daze, sometimes it is very dark.
I am stil struggling to come to terms with my daughter being born needing emergency heart surgery, something that was not expected at all when you give birth.
I feel that I was failed by so many professionally and so many covered up the fact that one was failed greatly. My mind is continously searching for answers. I never get them and to this day, six and a half years on... I am torturing myself within. When asking medical staff surrounding the negligent care of myself and my daughter, all are so defensive and dismissive. I feel that the walls come up with them and the doors are closed in my face. Its killing me within, it really is. It has destroyed as a person, a wife, a mother and a friend. So much so that I shut down. I just feel so low within myself that I feel that I no longer have purpose in life itself any more. I thought that by having another daughter in more positive circumstances that it would eliminate all those awful thoughts and unpleasent memories. Sadly it did not. Don't get me wrong, I wouldnt change her for the world. But I can't help but feel that she is missing out on the real me. I am a great mother, although the majority is sheilded behind the "mask". Inside I am screaming as my heart is breaking. If only one could just go to sleep and wake up feeling like the old me. The happy, confident woman that I once was. Now I am a nothing, a complete failure in myself. i am so quick to advise others with positive thoughts and vibes Nd yet when it comes to myself... nothing.

Apologies for the depressing post, but I just felt that I just had to let some of it out.
I feel that those that are close are very poor at understanding and then theres the added fear of thinking that I am insane. I'm not insane, i'm just finding it truly difficult to cope.

Tyke
02-07-11, 04:24
If those close to you are poor at understanding, do you think it would help to talk to a counsellor? I know you may feel uncomfortable using the NHS with the issues involved, but is there any way you could see one privately or through a charity? You are not insane, but you have had a lot of trauma in your life which you need help to deal with.

Tyke

Brokenmum
03-07-11, 20:38
Hi Tyke,

I made the first step just a few weeks ago by visiting my G.P and getting the much needed diagnosis etc.
It's a case of waiting now for my appointment with a recommended counsellor.
Yes it's the dreaded NHS but it's worth a try.
You just never know, it may be a good option or it may be a bad.
I never thought of going privately or using a charity, so thank you for recommending that. It is greatly appreciated and one that I will look into in advance just in case the NHS option doesn't quite work for me. It's been a long time of suffering and the sooner one opens up I think, then the better. Again Thank you ever so much Tyke xx

Philomena
07-07-11, 15:26
Hi.

I too am on the NHS list and sorry to say that I have waited over 3 months now and haven`t even been for the test with them yet, but that`s for CBT, and your case may get you in quicker, so don`t take my word that you will wait that long. But sometimes you can wait over a year for councilling with them. I think it really is a disgrace! :mad: I REALLY hope it is different for you, if it`s not, go back and pester your doctor again to see if he can check up on them, I`m going back to see mine tomorrow.

If there is a local MIND centre where you may want to consider ringing them, I am having MIND councilling now and I waited about 5 weeks to see a councillor, which opposed to a year, isn`t long at all. Also, MIND sometimes do classes for relaxation, anxiety etc too, which has helped me. MIND don`t seem very up on mental health issues which is the down side but you can definately talk to them about most of your problems. The reason I want to see someone from the NHS too is that I do feel they will be able to help me get my head around my mental health condition more than MIND. If I don`t know what kind of depression I have and how to handle it, I feel I may serverly fall back into it, and that would be hell.

It`s something to think about until you get seen by the NHS anyway, or if you are worried that the NHS might not work out for you.

Also, while you wait, check out the worksheets on www.getselfhelp.co.uk (http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk) and you might want to do what I did, surround yourself with LOADS of lavender oil, it`s an amazing comforter.

Take care.

xx