PDA

View Full Version : How often do we drink

shiv
26-04-06, 22:45
I know there's a fairly high incidence of people with anxiety disorders drinking to much. I know I sometimes do. How much do you drink?

ItWillPass
27-04-06, 16:02
everyone tells me I should take up drinking. Im terrified of it though. Luckily, my liver has never really been a concern for me.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance, never settle for the path of least resistance... When you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance"

"This too shall pass..."

nomorepanic
27-04-06, 16:06
Itwillpass - don't start!!! You are better off being a non-drinker trust me!

Nicola

darkangel
27-04-06, 16:30
totally agree nicola - alcohol only makes matters worse

........life is for living not just for surviving

wendy
27-04-06, 16:39
Hi Shiv

I agree Alcohol is defo one to avoid! I have a couple of drinks now a the weekend but a month or so ago when I was at my worst, I was having gulps of wine throughout the Day - Not the answer, problems are still there when the drink wears off

Take Care

Wendy

ItWillPass
27-04-06, 17:04
basically people think i need to chill out, so i should take up drinking. I think im too chicken though... So it makes me feel better for all to tell me im not missing anything :)

Heidi

nomorepanic
27-04-06, 17:51
Don't chill with boooze ! It is not the answer trust me.

You are fine as you are.

Nicola

Rennie1989
27-04-06, 19:44
I only drink on special occasions, even then I have to look after my boyfriend, lol. I do find drinking makes me more panicy because once there was a fight once and it made me really worried (not just for myself).

Yes, I am 16, sssshhhhh!!!!! Lol.

Scooties Back

Alexandra
28-04-06, 10:05
Hi

Used to drink alot when i was younger as you do but only have 1 or two in the week sometimes a little more at the weekend.

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Jason37
28-04-06, 10:17
Dear Heidi (ItWillPass),

Honestly - do please listen to us all when we say DON'T start drinking! It really is SO not the way to chill out! Unless there's a version of chilling out that involves feeling worse, being poorer, compromising your health and generally becoming dependent on something when you don't need to!
Why go for a route to chilling that doesn't work, when there are so many that will? Exercise, meditation, diet... I won't even try and list them all (and other people on here would do a much better job!).
You don't need it, you don't want it, you sound pretty together at some level, don't throw that away even a little.
It's your life, you are free to choose. Do so wisely!
Lots of luck and all good wishes,
Jason

melvyn
15-08-06, 22:50
Alcohol is a definate no no it might make you feel better for an hour or two but the next day the anxiety returns with a vengance . I have suffered really terible panic attacks the days following heavy drinking sessions. And it was only recently after reading info on this site that it dawned on me that drink was a major contributor to my condition. The more I think back probably most of my panic attacks over the past years have been after heavy drinking session's . I am now trying to do without drink .[^][Sigh...].

steve
31-08-06, 08:51
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Alcohol is a definate no no it might make you feel better for an hour or two but the next day the anxiety returns with a vengance . I have suffered really terible panic attacks the days following heavy drinking sessions. And it was only recently after reading info on this site that it dawned on me that drink was a major contributor to my condition. The more I think back probably most of my panic attacks over the past years have been after heavy drinking session's . I am now trying to do without drink .[^][Sigh...].

<div align="right">Originally posted by melvyn - 15 August 2006 : 23:50:44</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Your right there. I try to avoid the drink if i can. I find I can drink & then feel great have a laugh & feel like the old Steve before I was ill. But the next day I'm worse than ever. Sometimes tho you need a few drinks to get through a situation. I have done this many times in the past. I went out to watch england play in the pub a few months ago I must of had about 15 pints as i was out the whole day. The next day my anxity was so high It was 100 times worse i wont leave the house & I have to have another 3 or 4 cans to feel slighty better. I say if you can do without drink try stick to that

chop
31-08-06, 11:47
Ex alco,
Never drink now.

Trust me, alcohol masks the problems and makes it worse overall.

Dont drink. Brutally honest here:

Most people are actually alco's, they just cant admit it! More than 2 drinks a night is it with a few nights a week off is recommended? Most do more, so what are they? Addicted, thats what. Like my mum. Sore point but the truth hurts sometimes.

Dont drink.
Paul

Learning to under react

Wannabeloved85
31-08-06, 12:19
alcohold caused my first ever attack. my mum then started drinking to help her sleep and find confidance, she got to the point where she was drinking at 4pm to go shopping, then started drinking heavily, depending on it all the time. luckily, shes now alcohol free, has been for a year!
Becci x

Paddington
31-08-06, 14:00
hi there,oh yes the demon drink!I lost soooo many days and nights drunk and depressed,all because i thought it made me feel better?????More confidant ,more a party person,i looked A TWIT!The next day i would have to drink to get rid of the panic so the vicious circle went on and on!Looking back i wonder how i did it!My mother is an alchoholic[she wont admit it?]so i have seen what it can do,and i was scared i would end up the same for a while.LEAVE THE DRINK ALONE ,IT IS NOT THE ANSWER!Come on here and talk,that is what i did,now?i have a couple of wine spritzers if i am out, i dont overdo it as i know i will feel ill the next day!So many of us here have had or have drink problems ,so dont start!Love mary rose.xxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

marie ross
31-08-06, 16:10
Hiya,

I can only agree with everyone else here - don't go down that road - it will make things so much worse.

I was drinking every night to help me relax and so i could sleep - not good. The next day was even worse because i was ten times more anxious.

I'm not totally tee-total, but i'm not using alcohol as a way of chilling out any more.

Take care.

Marie XXX

Wannabeloved85
31-08-06, 16:16
i forgot to mention that i dont drink, i only mentioned my mum lol. but no, i cant touch the stuff, plus i also find it pointless! it smells AWFUL and tastes worse! my thing was cider, DEADLY stuff!! especially at 15 yrs old! lol not had a sip of alcohol now for almost 6 years :)
Becci x

Rik
02-09-06, 00:52
Im surprised how much percentage is never drink, i dont because im scared of throwing up so i avoid it, and im scared of feeling that dizyness feeling when your standing still and all the effects.

But i do wish i could drink socially, and i think theres so much pressure to drink everything is about drink these days, and it sticks out like a sore thumb, sorry im going on but its how i feel.

chop
02-09-06, 07:38
I wish I could drink socially too but that wont ever happen :(
Just me....

Cheers
Paul

Learning to under react

carly123
02-09-06, 12:53
Hiya
A few of you made comments about how you 'used to drink' to rid the anxiety. Can anyone tell me how you got over it? cos Im struggling. I'm not physically addicted (well I hope not!) but definately rely on it more and more lately. I do realise that it exacerbates the problem, but I feel like I'll do anything to just not feel like this any more.
Any advice very much appreciated??

xx

tam
14-10-06, 10:11
hi i dont drink only very very rare. im scared of drinking and feeling that dizzy feeling which then starts me off with everything else.tc tracy

LLADDIS
10-12-06, 10:01
I can drink because of my Urology problems the advice of my doctor is avoid alcohol and limit myself to just one half pint of beer or equiv
Not sure what could be equivalent to sucha low amount ..lol
sometime I could really crave a drink too

LIFES A BEACH THEN THE TIDE COMES IN AND GIVES YOU CHANCE TO SWIM

Nel
10-12-06, 12:28
I used to like a bottle of wine for a Friday and Saturday night. I haven't had a drink for ages, probably a year or more since I drank.
My main worry is I'll have a really bad panic attack (even though I've had virtually no panic attacks for months, the fear of them is still there), and can't take one of my emergency rescues (a valium) because I've been drinking.

People who drink every day (or evening) have a dependance, and I think a lot of people are reluctant to accept that. It's not alcoholism, but it is a dependance.

Lindalou64
10-12-06, 13:42
i use to love to drink.....then when i got hit with the agraphobia i felt i had to drink at least a 6 pack or a few drinks just to get the nerve to do anything it went on and on and i knew i felt worse the next day tripled wammy....so one day after drinking i dunno like 16 yrs i just gave it up totally been 14 yrs there our days tho if i could only have a drink but i know that one will lead to another and so on..so i just dont how i did it........got old got tired of feeling the way it made me feel and seeing all around me including myself what it does to others it wasnt worth it to me.....tc xx Linda[8D]

matt1981
10-12-06, 13:56
i drink about once or twice a week but a bit more often recently which probably isnt good :/

PanickyPolly
10-12-06, 17:01
I'm so glad to see so few of us drink heavily. My mother is an alcoholic and has been my whole life. Alcohol is just evil.

happyone
10-12-06, 19:08
Before having this recent bout of anxiety/depression, I was drinking most nights. The only ones I wasn't was if I was on a late shift. I tried to convince myself that it wasn't much, but I knew that I felt a 'need' for it come 7-8pm. I didn't sleep without it, but didn't sleep well withit.
When I started these meds, the leaflet said to not drink alcohol and because I was so worked up at the time, I followed it to the letter.
Thank goodness! I now realise how close to dependent I was becoming.
I now hardly ever drink, but if I do, it is one glass of wine (occassionally two) but it is very infrequent and I can take or leave it.
Happyone

Stew
10-12-06, 20:21
I rarely drink these days as i find i feel terrible the next day and my anxiety is twice as bad.

Do have the odd one or two occasionally but not that often.

It dosen't help with anxiety anyway as you may feel better that night but you certainly will regret it the next day

"Forget Perfection, You'll Never Reach it'

mooks
10-12-06, 21:32
me too
I used to have a few wines at night...but felt it was making things worse
Ive switched to red wine which I drin Fri/Sat/Sunday...but cant drink alot of it as heav....nothing during the week
xxxx

dave11282
11-12-06, 18:25
great thread.

I have been t total for a year now, and it has helped me cope better with stressful situations and anxiety.

I have PTSD and I have realised that I used alcohol for many years as a place to escape and hide, and act as a pain killer.

Alcohol can fuel depression too.

that all said I do like/miss a good glass of fine white wine lol

Dave

samc100
11-12-06, 19:18
I have 1 large glass of wine about once a month. I do it when out at the pub with my book group. I know it is stupid but I don't them to know I am on tablets as they are not close mates. I drink so they wouldn't twig - they'd suss me out if I was on the orange juice or think I was pregnant!

creatrix
11-12-06, 21:37
I used to drink a lot more than I do now... I would have 1-3 drinks a night. But then 2 things happened: my best friend stopped drinking altogether (and HER panic has lessened significantly as a result!) and I backed off to support her, and I took up yoga. Now I have 1-3 on friday and / or saturday nigts and that's about it. The benefits are: I'm much less panicky, I have more money, and I embarrass myself less. Although if I got out to pubs with friends, I end up drinking loads of coffee and feel AWFUL the next day... but better alive and shaky that dead calm!

franfhm
12-12-06, 20:02
Due to the medication I'm on at the moment I can't drink.

But if its a special occasion I stop the tablets for a day and go out with my friends. Its not something I do very often

Nick1981
22-01-07, 21:17
I voted Never. I used to drink at the weekend with 'the lads' but i stopped about 10 mts ago when the panic attacks started.

It does get better

Coni
22-01-07, 21:42
I must admit lately ive been drinking a bit more....my mind just seems so full its like I need it to unwind. I know its not a good thing though.....I only have maybe one or two drinks in the evening, I definitely dont drink to excess...I hate feeling out of control.

Coni X

bubblygirl
22-01-07, 21:56
Since being on meds ive not drank atall too scared too

bubblygirl
22-01-07, 21:56
Since being on meds ive not drank atall too scared too

Issy_Bum
22-01-07, 22:20
Strangely, I don't drink at all. It's one of the things that makes me nervous.

wobily_lin
23-01-07, 03:30
elo,

Well I used ta love a drink..socially of course..loved goin out ta the pub or club..had a great time..plus im an irish girlie so had a few hangovers i can tell ye lol

But since my trauma 4 years ago, i havn't touched it..Basically my anxiety is so high that I'm too damn scared to drink..good eh?

I have neva abused alchol nor turn ta drink to solve my probs and I know alot of us on here do as a copin mechanism.

We all know that drinkin is not good for anxiety but some just can't help it..tbh there have been times in the past few months when i did think 'omg mayb if i hav a drink, just for 1 god damn night to forget' ye know?...but i didn't...for 2 reasons..

1) i was terrified and knew i would b more anxious before during and after drinkin it..duno y..just how my trauma has left me.
2) there is no drink. There used to b for occasions. but my daughter has drank the bloomin lot lol..

Take care,
Lin xxx
"Fear is dat lil darkroom, wer negatives r developed", so positive thoughts okies!!!!!

Chopper
23-01-07, 08:45
Morning all,

I'm on 40mg of Citalopram a day and enjoy a bottle (750ml) of white wine every lunchtime and maybe another bottle in the evening.

I never have a hangover and sleep well (I reckon I'm one of the lucky ones on Citalopram who do?).

An added benefit I've found is that going to the pub at lunchtime for an hour gets me away from my desk and into social situations. I chat to a group of pensioners about their wartime experiences, grandkids, football, photography, politics - generally we put the world to rights!

I don't think I'd have managed to get this far into the Autumn without a combination of Citalopram, Chardonnay and Cameraderie!

Anyone else manage OK on this combination or is it just me?

Happiness and light to you all,
'Chopper'

I saw her once, one little while, and then no more:
’Twas Eden’s light on Earth a while, and then no more.
Amid the throng she passed along the meadow-floor:
Spring seemed to smile on Earth awhile, and then no more;
But whence she came, which way she went, what garb she wore
I noted not; I gazed a while, and then no more!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

valeriej
23-01-07, 16:42
I never drink, or hardly ever may be the odd half glass of wine at Christmas but that's it.

Mainly it make me feel hot if it's high in alcohol which kicks off my anxiety then I'm always running to the loo so I steer well clear.

Krakers
23-01-07, 18:25
Well it looks like I'm going to be one of the bad ones then. Everyone seems to be doing so well withough alcohol, I congratulate you all. Its the wise choice.

Like a lot of things you'll see on the forums, knowing something and doing it isn't always as simple as it may seem.

I've been drinking for a long time - usued to be socially in the evening before my anxiety walloped me. As time has gone by alcohol has become a crutch, and one that I have found more reliable than any meds I've been given to date. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way advocating for *anyone* to drink. Its just for me when nothing else seems to work alcohol does.

I know that alcohol could well be a major part of my anxiety, however I also don't know how to get by without it. I can drink the same amount every day with totally different effects day by day. One day I can wake up with bad anxiety and find myself reaching for a drink at 2.30pm. The next I can be anxiety free most of the day and might only feel I need it late on.

Currently I may drink upto 20 units a day. While this may sound bad I was drinking a bottle of vodka a day 3 months ago with a relapse over Christmas. The first couple of drinks help to dispell my anxiety. While I should stop there I don't and continue to self medicate until I can sleep later.

I don't get hangovers anymore, I don't feel rough the next day. I don't get fall down drunk and most people wouldn't even recognise if I'd had a drink or not. What I am lacking is motivation and a positive outlook, so that may also be a contributory factor to the drinking.

Someone has already posted a reply asking how all the ones who used to drink and now don't broke the cycle. I would be interested in hearing your replies.

I'd also be interested to hear from the other 7 people who replied to the survey saying they abuse alcohol daily. I know its a private vote and can appreciate most peole won't want to feel the odd one out.

For me, I think I'm a lost cause. I've tried enough meds now without success and don't feel like going back to the doctor to be a guinea pig for another month.

Drinking is never the way forward, but the respite I receive is just too damn seductive.

Krakers.

sal
23-01-07, 18:36
Hi Krakers

Dont give up on yourself. Im like you i drink and it has become a habit and at the time it does make me feel better but not always the next day.

I was drinking two bottles of red wine a night and sometimes opening the third then falling asleep on the settee. Its been really hard but last week i managed without a drink at all from monday to thursday then drank on fri, sat and sun night. Ive got worse because i have been off work sick since Feb 06 but i know ive got to keep pushing myself on this and i am sure like you said you have cut down and you can still in time do at little bit more at a time. It wont happen overnight as i well know.

Here if you ever want to talk.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Krakers
25-01-07, 23:23
Thanks for that sal, I appreciate your honesty. You're doing well being able to go without for that length of time - you should be proud of yourself.

You're right, it certainly does take time to kick. Everyday I say I won't drink this day. Each day one way or another I end up not keeping my promise to myself.

To everyone else - I wasn't looking for any "there theres" from my post. I was honestly relating my experiences. I didn't mean to kill this thread - I'm probably the worst case scenario here on NMP.

I really would welcome some feedback. Especially to my question regarding how all those who are now reformed managed it.

Krakers.

ladybird
26-01-07, 16:53
Hi Ktrakers,

I'm with you on this one. I dont know how much 20 units is but I drink a bottle of white wine per night and sometime have opened a second bottle and had a further glass.

I consider that is way too much but, like you, can't do without it.

This purely to chill and alleviate anxiety - nothing else.

Kind regards,
ladybird

KOKO23CAT
29-01-07, 20:55
used to drink way too much, now i find just one beer can trigger a whole week of anxiety

my life is full of catastrophies, most of which never happened

Evie
02-02-07, 10:06
My husband and I share a bottle of red wine maybe once every two or three weeks - whenever he brings one home with the shopping. I love red wine but don't feel driven to have it. Similarly, on the rare occasion that we go out (this is not a complaint - we're just largely too tired!) then if - and ONLY if - Hubby's driving I will have up to three pints of real ale, but that's only once or twice a year.

I did drink more frequently when I was younger, but my limits and tolerances have remained largely static. My husband knows that if I hit that third pint of beer he'll be carrying me home and I'll have such a hangover I'll beg him to NOT buy me a third ever again!

We have loads of bottles of various bits and pieces, won in Christmas raffles all lined up along the top of the piano but it apart from managing to use up most of a small bottle of cointreau in this year's batch of mincemeat the bottles just gather dust. I like to have a bottle of Tia Maria for when I fancy flavouring my coke but that bottle lasts me about a year. I don't think my liver's in imminent danger...

jo61
02-02-07, 10:09
I sometimes drink too much and it affects anxiety. I know I shouldn't but know what you mean when you say it takes edge off anxiety but only in the short term.

Jo

Robin
02-02-07, 13:48
Alcohol induced anxiety:

This may be high-jacking this post but I wanted to bring up the topic.

My query is does alcohol induced anxiety exist?

I find one – three beers helpful after a day at work but if I get drunk the day after I have severe anxiety distress [as well as a bad hangover].

Why?

anxious
02-02-07, 14:41
Hi,
as many of you in chat know, i like a drink:D. It was getting to the point where i was definately having too much. I find it no problem to drink a bottle of wine by myself. I never drink to get drunk i just love the taste. Anyway as part of an experiment (also skint) i have more or less stopped drinking during the week. I have noticed if i drink say 1 or 2 glasses next day i'm totally fine (well fine/normal for me) but if i have a hangover, i get anxiety from hell[}:)]
Goody goody its nearly the weekend:D

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

Chopper
02-02-07, 14:42
Good afternoon all,

Given my substantial experience in the topic I find that the poison of choice often dictates the subsequent anxiety levels.

I've not touched beer in, oh, 3 years or more but find wine has all the usual positive effects but none of the negatives, I never suffer a hangover, sleep well and am now back in control of my life with little/no anxiety.

I don't drink spirits so can't really comment on how we may react to them but, for me at least, vino hits the spot!

I'm on 40mg of Citalopram a day by the way.

Happiness and light to all,
'Chopper'

Let us pray to Him who holds Life’s issues in his hands—
Him who formed the mighty globe, with all its thousand lands;
Girding them with seas and moutains, rivers deep, and strands,
To case a look of pity upon Kathleen-Ni-Houlahan!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

mooks
02-02-07, 16:42
i take 30mg seroxat...smoke too much and love a glass of wine...its an easy trap to fall into..i love wine and the realxation it gives you...2-3 a night...ive tried the not during the week but its hard...
god does that make me dependant

jo61
02-02-07, 16:46
Hi Mooks, I certainly hope not as I'm with you. Different meds b ut a few glasses of wine and far too many cigarettes lol

Jo

matt1981
12-04-07, 19:56
I drink about 3 times a week but not heavily i have drank tho when i have felt very anxious.. when i have registered an 9 or 10 on the official matt anxiety scale :)

mazzywoo
13-04-07, 07:20
Hi Itwillpass-drinking definitely makes anxiety worse! When the booze wears off, it causes someone who has anxiety to feel jittery and a bit panicky, as well as feeling depressed. I find that after even one glass of wine, this happens to me so I don't drink any more-it's just not worth starting mate! Best wishes, Maz

Ellen70
13-04-07, 09:33
None of the poll options accurately describe my drinking so I ticked 'weekend bingeing' as the nearest choice.

I only drink (not including occasional social drinking here) when my anxiety or depression is so bad I feel that I have to do something to 'kill' the fear/anxiety/depression or they will overcome me and I will lose control/go crazy.

The last time I drank like this was about six or seven weeks ago. I only get 4mg daily of clonazepam on prescription and it is not enough to 'conquer' my anxiety when it is really bad so I only take the benzo when I really need it as so I can take more than that then and if I am running low on benzos I will drink vodka with them to make them more 'powerful'.

When i feel really desperate I will take 8-10mg clonazepam and a few Xanax and drink maybe one quarter of a bottle of vodka with them. I don't just drink the vodka neat in one go with the pills, I drink it with a mixer over a couple of hours. I have also used this benzo and alcohol mixture to 'knock myself out' when my insomnia is really bad.

But usually I use it as an 'emotional painkiller' and/or when I feel I am going to lose control of myself. If I can't afford vodka then I would drink red wine as the next best thing but vodka is the best as it is stronger.

I live alone so I can abuse alcohol and benzos like this without anyone else knowing. Sometimes I use alcohol and pills when I feel overcome my loneliness.

This behaviour is very erratic with me, I can go for six months without touching a drop of alcohol and then abuse it, on a daily basis for a couple of days or a few weeks, as described above with pills when I feel overwhelmed by my mental health problems and need to 'kill' the thoughts in my head immediately.

I don't even like the taste of alcohol and I get terrible hangovers, even when I have just had a few social drinks, so alcohol for me is very much 'any port in a storm' when I feel there is no other way out.

I have been feeling better for the last six or seven weeks so I haven't drank at all. I definitely don't advocate mixing alcohol and benzos as a 'painkiller' for mental health issues, however I am just telling it how it is here as regards to what I do when I feel I have no options left.

Regards

Magpie
13-04-07, 11:28
I love alcohol, in fact I only really feel good when I'm at that stage in between sober and drunk. It's like it takes all the sharp edges off the world.

Unfortunately that feeling is impossible to maintain, and the outcome for me is that I developed a serious problem with binge drinking. I now find it very difficult to drink and not keep drinking until I black out.

So how did I overcome this? Well, I started out by just not going out with friends and isolating myself so I wouldn't have the temptation to drink. This obviously wasn't good, so I started socialising again but used the convenient excuse that I have a dodgy stomach (which actually came about because of alcohol abuse), and started to only drink on special occasions. When I cut down in this way, I noticed that when I did drink, the next day my anxiety was really, really bad. Then I started on Citalopram, and haven't had a drink since. That was two months ago.

I really miss alcohol but I know I have to stay away from it. On the plus side, it's an amazing feeling to go out with my friends and then wake up the next morning feeling human!

Insomniac
26-05-07, 22:38
The effects of alcohol on someone with anxiety are not good. Some of the symtoms are dizziness, nausea etc and these get worse with alcohol. I drink rarely anyway, but was told by doctor not to because of meds. Now my tolerance is low and when I do drink if I start to feel slighly squiffy it makes me feel anxious because the symptoms are similar, and because of the feeling of not being in control. Just don't go there! :winks:

Moondust
28-05-07, 17:30
I used to drink but gave it up without intending to when I learned to drive. I am nearly always the designated driver, and now I find on nights when I'm not driving, that alcohol doesn't appeal any more. If I drink too much I get a migraine, which is a great deterrent!

M.

josephine
31-05-07, 10:29
I drink about 2 or 3 glasses of red wine a night. I just love red wine. but my tolerance to alchohol changes on a daily basis. Sometimes one glass will make me feel like ive had a bottle, other times im fine. Not sure if that depends on how anxious i feel at the time.

love Josephine.x

michellemumof4
31-05-07, 11:08
Alchol will make your anxiety worse and will not mix well with any medication you take. SUGAR in alchol can upset our natural balance and make panic attacks more frequent simple answer DONT DRINK :ohmy:

Another thing for all you coca cola addicts out there this is again very bad for anxiety as it has a huge ammount of sugar and caffeinne in it

xxxx

jakob
19-06-07, 20:53
I used to drink a fair bit as part of a 'work culture', I suppose 4 or so pints perhaps 5 times a week. It definitely helped my anxiety though as at least there were a few hours each day when I felt OK.

I gave it up, apart from very rare occasions, when I realised that I could see myslef going down a road that really wasn't a good idea and alcohol would become a problem.

On balance (And I think this is backed up by the science) it helps with the short-term anxiety but definetly not with any associated depression.

Jakob

geordie flower
19-06-07, 21:47
Hiya, I am currently trying to cut down on my drinking I've gotton myself into a bad cycle of drinking a bottle ov wine a night because I find it makes my anxiety go away and I actually feel normal again for a while. I know this is the wrong way to go so I'm really trying to cut down, I've done it before so I hope I can do it again. tracey :) x

phill
22-06-07, 12:13
dont drink!! is the easy answer. i go to AA - became dependant on alcohol - self medicated with it to avoid anxiety/ depression awful stuff - it IS a depressant will make u worse. love phill:D some people can have a drink(one) and then leave it alone I cant!.. rely on it , obsess about it , way out, somewhwere to hide, etc. in the short term makes u feel better, long term worse.

Gordon
11-07-07, 14:29
I used to be a heavy binge drinker from my late teens til about 30, then I gradually cut down and I only have alcohol once in a while now (usually 4 or 5 pints at the most, though I am getting hammered on 8 cans tonight as I'm a bit down).

Gordon X

Fall Out Boy
17-07-07, 08:58
On the poll, i put never, cause i'm not even old enough to drink, lol!

Lilith1980
24-11-07, 11:13
I didn't drink every day of the week butwhen I did go out, I would drink too much, sometimes just to get drunk and forget.

But it made things so much worse so I've made the conscious effort of watching how much I drink when I got out now and its helped alot.

xx

WDWFan
24-11-07, 12:46
I have cut down considerably! I drink one or two glasses of red wine a night, and i am going to reduce it even further on a gradual basis.

Meewah
25-11-07, 12:34
Alcahol is so interwoven in to society that the more people tell me to come out for a drink the more I think they have a problems themselves. I feel proud to be able to conquer going in to the pub and just socialise and not drink.

I agree the morning after feeling scares me silly. Its just not worth it. People tell me that if you dont drink then you aren't socialising. Nonsense.

Mee

woodnights
25-11-07, 13:13
i totally agree with what everyone is saying.

drink is so bad, does anyone else have te same problem as me, I CANT HANDLE DRINK, well what i mean is i can drink like a fish with best of them but the next day my mental state of mind and anxiety is multiplied by 1000.
i feel so much more panicky and really think i am dieing.

does anyone else suffer with this.

mumof4
25-11-07, 15:19
i dont drink never will drink scares me i feel like i like to be in control of me and drink changes you.

chalky
27-11-07, 15:15
i'm an alcoholic - nine years sober now
for me,drink is not an answer for serious anxiety problems-it only clouds the issue.
probs like ours are much easier to treat without alcohol.lots of meds do not combine well with booze.

lorac
03-12-07, 09:48
I used to drink many years back but haven't had a drink for about 6 years, I am like you ItWillPass, people tell me to have a drink and chill out but I prefer not to coz I feel I have to be in control at all times. To be honest drink just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Carol

june
09-12-07, 15:05
Drinking is always supposed to be the "cure all" like any problem is cured by "a cup of tea". Tea does not leave you feeling guilty to add to your panic and anxiety that was made worse by your drinking.
Anyone who is Of nervous ddisposition ( In any shape or form ) will eventually realise that drink is a NO NO.
At any moment in time a person will "just have a couple of drinks to ease the pain - to be sociable etc.
BUT as with anything that pleases you , you will need another fix, another drink, a stronger tablet or another cream cake.
I used to find that it was easier to open a bottle of wine - far too much trouble to make tea - It was very hard to convince myself that I was causing my own problem.
So to be good (and lazy) i had bottles of pop and a wine glass. You can laugh your self silly thinking "if my friends could see me now".
If I had to be in a social situationI claimed chronic heartburn (nothing too serious to tempt fate) but 'they' will sympathise with heartburn and usually won't try and ply you with a drink.
Best wishes
June

vernon
12-12-07, 09:27
Only drink on special occasions, is every night about 9 a special occasion? thanks Vernon

Lilith1980
12-12-07, 09:43
I find myself more and more wary of drink. Last night I went out and had 4 glasses of vodka with a mixer and I was ok, but I think that's only becuase i was being mindful of how much I was drinking.

I enjoy socialising with my friends and would feel a bit left out if I was the only one not drinking to be honest. But when I have seen people totally slaughtered when I am quite sober its frightening what it does to people. I'm a lot more wary of drink now. As long as I keep an eye on how much I drink I feel ok but if I throw caution to the wind (like I used to) and just go hell for leather with the drink its not a good companion for my anxiety.

amandaj
19-01-08, 12:47
woodnights i know that feeling, i had to many last night and today chest is tight feel like cant breathe heart missing a beat etc its a nightmare and im scared im going to die also

Jaco45er
11-02-08, 15:52
I go through wine at weekends like its going out of fashion. I don't get legless and fall over the place, but if I am completely honest, I would have to say I drink far too much, and can easliy go through a bottle and a half in a night, even 2 bottles on occasion (at weekends).

I cook alot, and tend to drink while cooking at weekends. I am wary of it though, my mother ws a terrible alcoholic when I was growing up, and I had 3 family members on her side die through drink related problems.

This is the ironic bit, when my anxiety was high, I never drank because I couldn't enjoy it.

Go figure

Jaco

weeble40
11-02-08, 16:07
i confess to drinking every night and I know this does not help with my panic attacks, that horrible hot flushy spinning feeling, what I know is a hangover starts me off in a what if its not this time here wwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeee go, I know i need to stop completly but as many have said its calms me for the moment, just next day im a total wreck, think my drinking habit and that is all it is at the moment cos i can leave it alone and im not drunk everynight could lead me to being an alcholic which i dont want so as of now Im cutting down, wish me luck

Emma xx:emot-drunk: :emot-drunk:

Ma Larkin
11-02-08, 16:25
I hate to admit but I probably drink every night. I only drink Carling lager, but I just can't help myself when I get home and go in the kitchen to cook (single parent to 3 with 1 newborn grandson, working full-time - busy, busy!). I will only have the 1 can at night, 2 max, but I can sink a ship at weekends! I don't really suffer from anxiety through drinking so I suppose that's a benefit for me, but I know loads of people who really suffer from serious anxiety after drinking so it isn't advisable. We all know the side effects of drinking, not to mention the harm it could cause. Luckily, I must have a strong constitution as my Dad says lol!

Advising someone to drink alcohol isn't good, but it chills me out (affects us all differently). I wouldn't drink to the extreme that I would get a hangover as I'm sure it would most definitely make my anxiety much worse.

I had some C2 (which is cCarling but only 2% alcohol) at the weekend. Must admit I couldn't tell the difference, but it went flat too quickly. I don't mind drinking things like Kaliber either, tastes like sh*te but you get used to the taste.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Good luck.

janey50
11-02-08, 16:29
I really do wish you luck, Emma. Wish me luck too, everyone, please! I've got into the terrible habit of supplementing my sleeping pills with brandy to ensure I go to sleep. This is crazy behaviour and today I fell apart after a really bad night. So I need lots of encouragement to be 'sensible' again and regain some control over my life. Bit of a confessional this! My anxiety is so high, I don't know how to go on living a lot of the time and this website is a life-saver.

lawzy
12-02-08, 00:30
drinking used to be a fear of mine bcoz i had a PA once whilst drinking so iv finally overcome it and can drink now and its great! im back to how used to be:):)

lawzy
12-02-08, 00:39
also i think if u can drink without feeling bad the next or at the time then why not

bluedaisy
13-02-08, 13:58
I hardly ever drink these days - it seems to provoke panic whenever I have even a small amount of wine or beer. I think the lightheaded feeling you get from booze freaks me out because dizziness has been the most comon symptom of my anxiety.

It's very annoying though as I would love to be able to have the occasional drink with friends. On the rare occasions I've been out since my anxiety started (I'm agoraphobic) I've had to sit sipping orange juice whilst friends enjoy their ales. Not much fun!

elle1987
13-02-08, 15:47
i used to drink a whole lot more than I do, all-out binges that often ended in a blackout.. I drink much less now :) but when i do drink, i usually end up getting very drunk before i know it, perhaps a side effect of meds or something. i've got to be careful with xanax and stuff aswell. for the first couple of weeks on it, i disregarded medical advice and i'd have a few drinks and become completely disoriented.

phil38
28-04-08, 18:24
i used to drink a whole lot more than I do, all-out binges that often ended in a blackout.. I drink much less now :) but when i do drink, i usually end up getting very drunk before i know it, perhaps a side effect of meds or something. i've got to be careful with xanax and stuff aswell. for the first couple of weeks on it, i disregarded medical advice and i'd have a few drinks and become completely disoriented.

..hi mate may i ask what dose of xanax you are on and how many drinks did you have and was it with the xanax or later on...sorry for the questions but i am goin onto xanax i think soon

popsy
29-04-08, 16:05
I used to drink alot, in fact if im honest i think i was developing a bit of a problem, 1 bottle of wine a night usually. i think it could have been one of the reasons my anxiety/panic came back as i was becoming seriously worried i was getting to be an alcoholic. once i got really ill with panic disorder i stopped drinking completely, and do you know what it wasnt hard at all, far more scared of the panic disorder than having a glass of wine. my meds say to avoid alcohol and im so desperate for them to work since i found this out i havent touched a drop!

AtmoLav
15-05-08, 17:58
I drink at least three units a day and I love it :o)

Cathy V
15-05-08, 20:19
I must admit that i drink up to 2 glasses of red wine every evening. My only defence is that its 'cabernet sauvignon' coz i read somewhere that red wine can be good for you in small doses, and sauvignon in partic' something to do with the grape skin.

However, when i was taking propranolol, i was so wound up all the time on them and the ectopics were going crazy, that i was drinking more and more just to take away the anxiety. Sometimes taking a slug of wine before i went out to the supermarket...thats a bit grim i know:lac:

But since ive had the meds changed the anx levels have come down so the need to drink during the day isn't there so much but i still enjoy my 2 glasses of the red stuff....for now at least :D

Cathy v xxx

Heaven_Scent
15-05-08, 20:36
I was drinking alot as i was feelin so low but since startin to feel better im only havin one or two on a night out. :)

jackie13
17-05-08, 06:59
Hi there

DO NOT START!! I am an alcoholic and know this is the reason for my continuous anxiety and panic. I fight with this addiction everyday. If I dont have a drink my anxiety is usually not there. Good luck.

Jackie xx

Trixie
17-05-08, 08:01
I drink once in a Blue Moon and even less now I have this brain tumour (the neurosurgeon advised me against it).

When I was younger I use to drink but I always say "I don't need alcohol to make me silly, I am silly enough without it" :)

janey50
17-05-08, 13:48
Hi there

DO NOT START!! I am an alcoholic and know this is the reason for my continuous anxiety and panic. I fight with this addiction everyday. If I dont have a drink my anxiety is usually not there. Good luck.

Jackie xx

Jackie, it's so brave of you to put it so honestly. I totally identify with you. I have a dependence on alcohol which is not healthy - I don't drink much but I do use it as a prop and it's a very wobbly prop! It can make you feel s***t when the initial numbing wears off, even more depressed or anxious than you were to start with, so i fight the temptation to have 'just a little vodka' as i hard as I can. It's steep learning curve. Jackie, keep fighting it. Can you get help from your local health team? There is a scheme in our area to help people with addictions called 'Turning Point'. i don't know if it's the same name everywhere else but it should be a national initiative and you could look into it. Don't struggle on your own - it's such a lonely place to be when you have an addiction. It'll be worth it to feel you have put it all behind you. Lots of love, and I wish you courage - Janeyx

loneill183
17-05-08, 13:53
I definitely drink too much - a bottle of wine most Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights. It really helps me relax and I fully enjoy it. I never get drunk, just nicely tipsy.

noonoo
17-05-08, 23:01
Very rarely.

MissChampers
19-05-08, 14:21
I think I drink too much, around 3-4 bottles a week usually over a 2 day period. I drink to make me feel better but then pay the next day when I feel anxious and depressed and can't leave the house.:wacko:

karen34
09-06-08, 19:22
i never drink as it makes me more anxious and the hangovers kill me...lol

Lila
09-06-08, 19:40
I find when I am anxious I drink more which is of course totally not the way to handle anxiety. I know it in my head I just need to be better about listening to myself.

Sax
25-07-08, 09:01
everyone tells me I should take up drinking. Im terrified of it though. Luckily, my liver has never really been a concern for me.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance, never settle for the path of least resistance... When you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance"

"This too shall pass..."

:scared15: What a bizarre thing for people to advise. :doh: I'd say don't start :winks:

tracy1972
25-07-08, 09:52
the problems will still be there when u sober up it doesnt solve anything i use to drink but gace up years ago it never helped made them worse:D

marie1974
25-07-08, 10:15
i have stopped drinking beacause it just made me feel even worse the next few days after. i just have odd 1 or 2 now thats it

ksmith
25-07-08, 20:28
I used to drink loads but after the anxiety bout I'm too scared to drink to excess. So I spose health anxiety stopped me drinking!

Kay

dave11282
27-07-08, 08:31
for me personally, I use to be t-total,

but I now enjoy a couple of beers at weekend, & actually feel better for it,

I see it as a useful respite after a long slog at my insane work place. (enough to test anyones anxiety)

I actually feel better now than compared to last year when I was t-total.

I only drink beer @ 5% proof. Wine & spirits will trigger my anxiety the following day because of the strength of alcohol.

Dave

milly jones
28-07-08, 20:24
i rarely drink, praps once a week if i feel like it. an odd glass of red.

funny tho, alcohol does relax me and helps my sa, but at the same time i hate feeling like im losing control.

so i never fully relax lol

take care milly xx

Jackson01
02-08-08, 09:08
hi, I think
Alcohol is not an ordinary commodity. While it carries connotations of pleasure and sociability in the minds of many, harmful consequences of its use are diverse and widespread.
In order to reduce the harm caused by alcohol (http://www.greenfacts.org/glossary/abc/alcohol.htm), policies need to take into account amounts consumed and patterns of drinking, as well as varying situations in different societies. For example, avoiding drinking and driving can help prevent injuries.
Worldwide, alcohol (http://www.greenfacts.org/glossary/abc/alcohol.htm) is expected to take an increasing toll on lives and communities. Indeed, more and more alcohol is consumed per person in countries such as China and India, and young people are adopting more harmful and risky drinking patterns.

Tx,
http://www.yeastinfectionadvice.com Yeast Infection (http://www.yeastinfectionadvice.com Yeast Infection)

Jaco45er
05-08-08, 11:44
I nearly said " I will drink to that" but thought better of it.

I drink probably, well not probably, more than I should. I can get through 7 bottles of wine a week and them some.

However, when I see Brits abroad on the news, like last night on a Greek island, it does make me think that alcohol should be restricted by age.

I never used to drink through the week, but ironically since my anxiety is less, I drink more frequently.

It was when I was in a bad way with anxiety I drunk far less.

Strange eh.

Jaco45er
05-08-08, 11:45
had to to another post, that last one was post 666 and I am far too superstitious ;)

Krakers
05-08-08, 12:24
Well this thread has been running for a while now. From my early posts you can see I was one of the ones who drank a lot. I am now T-Total. Not an easy journey, but one that had to be taken.

Robin asked "Does Alcohol induced anxiety exist". Simply put - yes.

I initially drank to help prevent the anxiety - however the alcohol actually became the problem and was the catalyst for inducing my anxiety.

Since giving up (from almost 400 units a week at worst) I now do not drink at all and would not advocate anyone with anxiety doing so.

My meds have been significantly reduced (and will continue to be reduced to none in around 4 months time), my anxiety is down, theres more money in my pocket, and I don't feel like crap every morning.

My sleeps getting better (although still not great), but I am back in the driving seat, alcohol isn't driving me.

If you're considering starting drinking, don't. If you do drink, think long and hard about it, how much, when and why. If you drink while on meds (as I did) make damn sure you are aware of the risks. If you *think* you drink too much then you probably do and its time to take stock.

Lastly but most importantly - if you think alcohol has no bearing on anxiety then you're deluding yourself.

Krakers.

HeatherMc
05-08-08, 13:29
I would love to be able to have a drink, have always been a social drinker in the past but over the last two years and certainly since suffering from anxiety I am scared to have a drink the hangovers are horrendous I get the real horrrors shaking, wieird thoughts very very increased anxiety, I only need to have about 2 glasses of wine and I am not good at all the next day cannot function etc.
I have never ever been a heavy drinker so I don't know what has brought all this on.

note to krakers blimey thats enough to sink a battleship, you have done very very well to get over that, you must be made of very strong stuff and I think you are very very brave and honest to share that with people

Love

Heather

bubblerawk
05-08-08, 15:54
i dont drink, but i never have done i just dont like the taste.
people seem to think its weird that im 20 and dont drink =/
x

Nicomi
07-08-08, 13:33
I was drinking more and more, to the point when I felt I could only get through the day if I knew I could have a glass of wine at tea time. The problem was that the glass always turns to 2 then a bottle and the next day I felt terrible and everyone suffered until I had another drink in the evening.
I cut back to only at week ends then it started to creep back up again.

I do think that with anxiety the alcohol makes you feel better temporaily and as an occaional thing it is ok but it is habit forming.

I'm currently off alcohol until I feel better again and when I do I know I will have to be very careful.

At least I'm now a cheap date!!:D

Lila
12-08-08, 00:48
I nearly said " I will drink to that" but thought better of it.

I drink probably, well not probably, more than I should. I can get through 7 bottles of wine a week and them some.

However, when I see Brits abroad on the news, like last night on a Greek island, it does make me think that alcohol should be restricted by age.

I never used to drink through the week, but ironically since my anxiety is less, I drink more frequently.

It was when I was in a bad way with anxiety I drunk far less.

Strange eh.

Funny you should write that, I drank less when I was in a bad way with anxiety, now that I am somewhat less so I find I am drinking more. I do think that some of the reason is situational.....life stressors and all that. Still, sometimes I wonder if the fear of anxiety and having panic attacks can cause one to self medicate (my thinking being it helps me to relax but is that an excuse?) and try to stop the fear or the ability to spend a lot of time thinking about anxiety hence that glass of wine with dinner.

Mavrik
15-09-08, 22:48
I have been drinking fairly heavily, and increasingly so for the last 3 years or so. Start late at night to scare off the demons ... helped me sleep ... but EVERY panic attack was always in the morning after a heavy night the night before. I gave up drinking completely 10 days ago and it has helped a LOT !!!

Alcohol may make you feel better at night, but it makes it much, much worse in the morning.

cameron
16-09-08, 01:31
Take it from me pal, DO NOT TAKE UP DRINK FULL STOP. if you do well hell bend you as you will only have yourself to blame and dont expect others here to give you pity. Sorry for sounding a bit harsh but please listen to what everyones telling you.

Wish you all the best of health buddie.

pinkpiglet
16-09-08, 11:23
I am actually thinking about becoming tee-total.
I have always loved going out and having a good drink but when i got pregnant i stopped drinking altogether. Since my little boy was born two years ago i don't get chance to get out all that much and i prefer to stay sober incase my little boy needs me in the night. I don't miss the drink and i certainly do not miss the hangovers. I sometimes go out on special occassions and have a few but i never over-do it. I recently started taking fluoxetine and had a couple of lagers one night, i woke up very ill and had to go to A & E. So now i don't think i want to drink ever again.
I never thought that i would ever hear myself say that but i do not need drink and i do not get the same feeling from it that i used to so whats the point!
My partner hates it that i won't enjoy a bottle of vino with anymore and i sometimes feel a bit pressured to have a few sips!!!

vernon
16-09-08, 17:16
I stopped drinking fully for three years after years of heavy drinking to get rid of fears, I did start again a few years ago and ony intended having a drink on special occasions, then started going out to my local again three nights a week (but only the last hour and a half) and enjoy the chat with someone differnt now and again, Most nights I have 2 cans of cider just to relax me to go to sleep. When I stopped for 3 years I dont think I felt any better realy and when realy stressed out I had no little escape. I did miss my couple of nights out a week with a pint and a chat to friends. I love my wife and family very much, but we do need a change now and again. My dad was a coal miner and I followed like did my brothers for a while, so from 16ish going out for a drink with friends was the done thing and to stop doing it after years of knowing nothing els is very hard. I am not saying I ever get drunk like my younger days,, but a few now and again does me no harm.

paul38
18-09-08, 00:59
Hi guys i have noticed a bad drinking pattern that i have aquired over the last year, i drink every night now even when i get home from work and yes maybe its down to me being a long term sufferer of panik attacks and severe anxiety.

what is frightening me though is that am i becoming an alcoholic?

I dont drink through the day and i have a very bad eating pattern and yep the beer belly is showing.

Any helpful tips would be welcome, thanks for reading :)

LeeBee
18-09-08, 09:29
Interesting how anxiety encourages some people to drink and others steer clear. I used to drink quite a lot, most nights of the week and probably 2-3 glasses of wine minimum per night. When I was depressed a couple of years ago I often wanted to drink more. Most of the time I felt bad about my drinking but struggled to cut down. I got regular hangovers and had really poor sleeping patterns.
Just under a year ago I broke up my relationship and moved away, and as a result my lifestyle changed. I drank less often, but could still easily down half to a whole bottle in a night. THEN I got sick and my anxiety kicked off, and I now have very, very little desire to drink at all. The 3 glasses of wine (each on separate nights) I have had in the last 3 months have been drunk mainly to be polite. I find that alcohol makes my vertigo worse and I hate that feeling. Not drinking is good for my health so... hooray! My anxiety has had at least one positive side-effect :).

paul38
19-09-08, 02:51
Thanks for that input leebee, well its just becoming a very bad habit i feel i work nights until midnight through the weekend and maybe later at weekends, i take my nights off as and when, but i notice how ashamed and aware that i like a drink at night i am going to bed at sometimes 6am uk time getting up at 3pm in the afternoon and i have no energy or motivation to do anything in life these days, i feel down and suffer very low esteem god why can i not just come home and relax like i used to be able to do without making sure i have my cider to hand in order to enjoy the rest of my night, sorry to waffle on but i really do seek some tips here please of anyone that can ty :)

LeeBee
19-09-08, 07:52
Hi paul, sorry you're having a bad time right now. I really do know how you feel. I spent a long time feeling really bad about my drinking and beating myself up for not being able to do anything about it. My drinking stopped because 1) I had a big change in lifestyle and 2) I got sick. I wouldn't really recommend either of those things, especially the 2nd one :).
It seems to me that your realisation that you're not happy with your drinking, and your desire to do something about it, are both signs that you will do something about it.
The main things that kept me drinking were: boredom, habit, relaxation, and socialising. So if I had to stop drinking now, I might try to find something else to do that kept me interested, got me out of my drinking routine, and that helped me relax and socialise. For me that might be something like joining a dance group (which I have done now). This, for me, is interesting, fun, keeps me fit, and enables me to socialise in a non-boozey setting. I don't know what would work for you, but it might be something to think about? And maybe you could find some help here:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/alcohol/Pages/Alcoholsupport.aspx

Good luck paul. I'm sure that now that you want to do something about it, you eventually will. Small steps are good, and don't beat yourself up about it - you're far from alone with this problem. It might take a while, but you'll get there :flowers:

LeeBee
19-09-08, 08:43
Sorry, one other thing I've just thought of (can't shut me up once I get going) is that I think trying to stop or even just cut down on your drinking without any support or even just change to your regular routine is like trying to pull yourself up by your bootstraps. I can remember when I was drinking, when I had a "night off" the booze I would feel good about myself for having a night or two without alcohol, but at the same time I would miss it, and be thinking about when I could next have a drink. I'd just be in my same situation, but without the drink that I would normally be enjoying. Even though I would get a good night's sleep for a change and not wake up with a hangover and guilt - I still missed it. So I do think that you need to make changes in your life so you don't feel that there's a gap left by the drink and/or find something that fills the gap. Just my opinion obviously, from my own experiences. Might be different for you. Right, finished now :).

titchjd
20-09-08, 21:29
Hi folks ...I drink 2 much and get annoyed that even though I know I will suffer next day and that my anxiety is horrendous I still drink my wine ...I have been given some contact numbers 4 me 2 ring 2 help and they have said that my anxiety might increase as i have been so used 2 drinking that stopping completley is not a gud thing so 2 cut down but I find it so hard ......sat at night nothing 2 do so i just drink its a part of my life .....would like 2 hear how people who have drank a lot have managed 2 stop or cut down successfully xxxxxxx

Titch xxxxxxx

Dazza
20-09-08, 21:35
I stopped drinking alcohol as soon I started suffering from anxiety.

Quiet-Lift
20-09-08, 23:42
I can't say never. But there are times when I feel like a drink. No shortage of pubs and other sources of Alcohol in London that's for sure!
It seems so ingrained into our culture and seems to be endemic. I really sympathise with people who are trying to stay on the wagon. It must be so difficult. At the same time, I feel angry with those who drown themselves in it and then do stupid things.
Sometimes it seems to the most popular anaesthetic in the world!

leeg
23-09-08, 12:19
:shrug: i used to love a drink at weekends but now its sure to bring on a pa

Hereford Al
23-09-08, 12:38
I used to drink every night. Nothing seriously heavy (maybe 2 cans of beer a night) during the week, but I would go a bit mental on Friday and Saturday nights as well as Saturday afternoons.

I think this cylce of drinking to kind of switch my mind off from work is what caused my already "there" depression and anxiety to reach a higher level.

Since starting on my anti-depressants in July, I think I have had about 12 nights where I have drunk alcohol. Even then it was only moderate. I do feel better for not drinking every night, and I feel good about myself by proving that I am not an alcoholic (which is what I feared I was becoming) and that I can fall sleep without needing a nightcap.

I also find that I have a hell of alot more energy during the day and I am not yawning all the time like I was a few months ago.

caz303
15-10-08, 20:51
I have a glass or two :blush: of wine every night. Started about 20 years ago when I had problems sleeping and it's just become part of my life. And I actually enjoy to sit down in front of the tele about 10pm with my glass of white wine and just unwind before I hit the sack.

Don't know if that's right or wrong but it works for me! I realise its become a bit of a crutch but I think there could be worse ones :shrug:

lennons_mammy
21-10-08, 16:00
I only drink on special occasions and even then not much maybe glass of red wine or two.

starlady
12-11-08, 10:54
Hi...........I am more of a wkend drinker.Dont drink through the wk. As soon as friday comes along and my 7 yr old son goes to his dads for the wkend i like to go out but i always seem to over-indulge grrr. I cant drink 2 days on the run though....its either a fri or a sat because i need a full day to re-couperate and sometimes i think is it worth the hangover. I have stayed in fri and sat some wkends but get a bit bored and feel im missing out on a nite out. Its gr8 whilst im out drinkinking with friends but the nxt day i cant get out of bed.........i do ...but only to go the toilet or to eat or drink WATER....and then i feel shaky and panicky and wont answer the door to no-one coz of a scatty head. I wonder if im a friday binge drinker..... what do you think.....Angie x

Twin Galaxies
12-11-08, 11:39
iv voted never but truth is thats only bein for the past 2 months before that i was drainking daily for my anx but it just ended up making me much worse so i stoped drainking and smoking 2 months ago and havent looked back :D

mabel
12-11-08, 11:50
I drink to deal with my depression and anxiety. Every day. It's the only thing that takes the edge off. I know it makes things worse but I can't stop. I really don't know how to deal with it anymore. I have cut back a bit and am hoping to reduce it further but i'm really struggling!

Mabel x:weep:

Diane O'Brien
21-11-08, 22:38
I used to drink wine a lot and I started to notice a difference in the morning, not only did I have a hangover I felt terribly low, this lasted all day, then it changed to after a bottle of wine I used to just break down sobbing.

When I was put on medication I stopped drinking, then one night I went out with my friends, the first half of the night was great, then I started vomited, then I just passed out in the toilets in the nightclub. It turned out to be the worst night of my life, I was so shamed, my friends thought I had gone home bless them they were completely horrified when they learned the truth. I was asleep in the toilets for 3 hours. Eventually at four in the morning security had to put me in a taxi, stumbled home. I was ill for 4 days, so down and constantly crying. It was a absolute shambles.

Take my advice do not drink on the meds OR have ONE or TWO no more, alcohol is a depressant. I have made a pact with myself, whilst I,m ill and taking medication no more Alcohol.

Here's to a sober but Happy Christmas!!!!!!!!!

trixi
21-11-08, 22:40
Hi,

I def drink far too much not on weekdays when I have work but I do at the weekend. It helps me well thats what I think, it takes away my sysmptoms of anxiety. And makes me forget about them.

Not the way out at all, but just to have the relief is so good.

Trixi

xxx

Diane O'Brien
21-11-08, 22:45
I drink to deal with my depression and anxiety. Every day. It's the only thing that takes the edge off. I know it makes things worse but I can't stop. I really don't know how to deal with it anymore. I have cut back a bit and am hoping to reduce it further but i'm really struggling!

Mabel x:weep:
I know its difficult Mabel, alcohol used to make me feel so relaxed, well done on cutting back, just take a day at a time. I know its not the same but I now drink Shloer in a wine glass, just to fool me i,m havin a drink of wine, and I don't wake up feeling as yucky.

Thinking of ya :shades: :shades:

Natural Mystic
22-11-08, 04:57
booze and anxiety do not mix, I know, I've tried it. Just makes me feel so ill and over anxious the next day.

EdwardP
26-11-08, 19:02
I drank everyday to deal with my depression and anxiety. There came a time when I was opening the vodka bottle the moment I woke up and swallowing my medication with it. This went on for years until I was committed to a hospital over and over again. It didn't stop though and I kept on going and it went around and around and around. Waking up anxious, having a drink and taking my medication to relax, drinking more and then waking up the next day the same way. It doesn't work. It makes you feel worse.

EmmaJane
26-11-08, 19:51
I don't drink at all. My dad was an alcoholic and by brother died 9 years ago on 2nd dec, from alcohol abuse.

BexieB
27-11-08, 09:42
I was doing really well on my antidepressant meds and drink very little. But last weekend I went out with some friends and had a few too many. Since then I feel I've gone back to square one: depressed, anxious, not eating, poor sleep. I'll never do that again, feel like i've wasted months of good work.

Booze and anxiety/depression just don't mix, esspecially when on meds. My partner reckons I've got 'suicide tuesday', a plunge in mood XTC users get after a weekend of booze and drugs. Thinks my drink/ AD combination may have had the same effect. My doc thinks the same, given the amount I drank and the amount I'm used to.

I decided to take a drink because it gave me a sense of normality, I felt happy to engage in this 'normal' activity.

In future I'll just steer clear. Just hope I can get back to where I was before the weekend.

laura36
29-11-08, 09:38
I drink about twice a month, i do get leathered on these ocassions, and to be honest it does make me forget about my symptoms....but the next day i feel a hundred times worse. I used to drink at least 3 times a week a few years ago, so i'm trying!!

Diane O'Brien
16-12-08, 15:44
Ohh Dear

I used to drink to much because it made me feel good about myself in the short term. Long term deep down I knew it was making me worse. I don't drink as much now. I,m on medication so know I should,nt drink but I can,t lie especially because people
know from last friday I was drunk. I do try not to drink but it does relax me.

Meewah
16-12-08, 15:52
I think the poll results pass the message over or you could say that we are all here because we don't drink. Either way I will not be giving up a good night in the local ale house for anything, I will just be drinking soft drinks in future as the days after even a few drinks are not worth it.

T TOTAL FOR ME this Xmas.

Mee

Cherbear
17-12-08, 19:18
I rarely drink, only on special occasions usually. It's hard being at uni where drinking is all people do but I just don't particularly like the taste of alcohol that is all! xx

Puye
17-12-08, 20:29
I checked the box "Rarely/ special occasions". But the last time I drank was about two years ago; and that was the first time in a while. I have told myself and friends that it is a metabolic issue because if I take a glass of beer or wine, I feel realy bad physically and mentally about two hours later; and I sleep very poorly.

But now that I read many of the responses here, it appears that it may well be the medication or the anxiety/depression that has been the cause of my bad reaction to alcohol.

In any event, I almost never drink alcohol anymore.

Eva May
18-12-08, 12:44
I haven't had a drink since last July and that was just one. Before that, I can't even remember. I am going out tomorrow night for christmas drinks with the girls from work and as it's christmas I'd like to be able to let go and enjoy myself with a few drinks but am scared the alcohol will make me panic

playman44
18-12-08, 21:10
hi i used to drink nearly every night to avoid dealing with my HA that was a terrible thing to do it made things so much worse now i have 1 or 2 beers on a friday night with my friends after work then thats it .beleive me you are better off not drinking at all but that does not mean you cant have fun get drunk on life s good things instead

Meewah
20-12-08, 07:12
OK

Test finished, I went out last night with the lads and not one drop touched my lips. I was so proud especially when my friend said he really envied me that i was not feeling like him. I said that I wanted to prove to myself that I can have a good night out and enjoy myself without booze. It worked!!

Now the interesting stuff. On the night I did not feel the anxiety, being a socially anxious person, I sat and had good conversation not the usual philosophical c$%p that I talk about when on the booze. I felt relaxed as I saw everyone else getting drunk. I felt I had power. Saying that when I got home I felt anxious and the next morning I felt even more anxious. I even said to myself I would have felt better if I had drunk. But latter that morning when the early morning anx had lifted I was great. So the answer to me is that the anxiety being more intense after the event lasted a 10th of what it usually does when drinking.

Any more CBT like tests to report?

Mee

braggfan
22-12-08, 11:09
I haven't had a drink since February.
I used to be out every weekend drinking and that's were all my panic attack problems started. Even after I started to have pretty bad panic attacks I carried on drinking and that made it even worse so I decided that I had to stop.

DCJuggler
28-12-08, 00:35
Havent touched a drink for over 3 years now, i see it as a complete waste of money anyway.

And everyone i know who does drink either gets moody by the end of the night or cannot remember a thing the next day and feels ill.

Dominic1975
21-01-09, 22:42
Im the same.... i used to drink most weekend and at the time, really enjoyed getting drunk and having a laugh with my mates.... that was about 2years ago now... Only have the occasional glass of wine now with a meal..

sheppeyescapee
21-01-09, 23:10
I rarely drink, at the most I go through 3-4 units a month. It is so low that drs never believe me when they ask.

sunshine-lady
21-01-09, 23:20
I drink a couple of times per week. I used to drink a lot more which increased my anxiety

keith113
21-01-09, 23:28
Drinking isn't the answer to solve your problems. I should know! You don't have to drink to have have fun.
Keith

Krakers
26-01-09, 11:38
Interesting fact I picked up from my alcohol doc at Substance Missuse Services : 66% of people being treated for alcohol dependancy suffer from some kind of anxiety.

Best fact he gave me is that 5% of people who quit still suffer from anxiety or a related disorder afterwards. While this still means you might have anxiety after stopping I'll take 5% v 66% any day.

Krakers.

Krakers
26-01-09, 11:44
Just read my last post here in August last year. I'm no longer T-Total as I've relapsed twice now. Due to start detox next Monday again - this time using every support method available once stopped.

I stopped for 10 weeks twice last year and it made a big difference to my anxiety in a very posotive way.

Krakers.

licquyd
26-01-09, 22:19
I drink about a quart of rum a day just to get through the day....my panic and anxiety is so bad and no doctor has been able to help

Krakers
26-01-09, 23:16
Hi licquyd.

I've learned this the hard way - anxiety, self medicated with spirits leads to anxiety the next day.

If you are in any doubt I was drinking 400 units per week at my worst, waking up with PA's and drinking a quarter bottle of vodka (to start with) to feel normal.

If you only have one doctor, then I'd seek a second opinion. If you are a member of a practice with more than one doctor then consider seeing another doc.

I know exactly what you are going through. In my town there are other people who can help : Substance Misuse Servives (SMS), Street Based Services (SBS) - both NHS, and the Alcohol and Drugs Service (ADS). Don't let the names frighten you, one of my councillors drank for 17 years and went through exactly the same experience. He's now qualified and understands totally where I am at from past experience.

There are a lot of other organisations, but the ones I've named above both understand and treat the problem (they have their own doctors too).

Spirits are worse than wine which is worse than lager. When I stopped drinking spirits I stopped having PA's. I currently consume 100 - 140 units a week, but *and this is important* I realise I have a problem.

Initially I self medicated for anxiety which was my no.1. problem. As I continued to self medicate, the alcohol became the primary problem and the anxiety is worsened (if not created) by the alcohol I drink the previous day.

I am still alcohol dependant and it does fuel my anxiety - I know this for sure because of the two 10 week periods I stopped drinking last year. After a week I was a heck of a lot better.

Doctors can help, you just need to see one that understands. Also, not wishing to offend, you have to be open. Docs can't help if you don't tell them the full scenario.

Most people don't realise how much I drink - like any med you become tollerent to it.

If you want to PM then I will gladly do my best to help / advise / or just listen.

Krakers.

nikkipops
03-02-09, 20:31
I drink very little, it's hardly worth the hassle while I'm taking medication for panic attacks, I'm completely drunk after a couple of drinks, and this makes me even more anxious!

Nikki

bluegirl09
03-02-09, 20:40
Drinking increases a persons anxiety and its a depressant as well so its best if you suffer from panic attacks or a pnic disorder to stay away from the liqour i do tho i will be having onw or two on saturday as its my birthday and i said i would have a couple l;ol x

Deepest Blue
04-02-09, 02:29
Drinking increases a persons anxiety and its a depressant as well so its best if you suffer from panic attacks

Exactly, I only drink a bit when I am out and this is exactly what happens to me, I get really emotional and my thinking becomes irrational, even suicidle depending if I was already feeling bad that day. I'd stay completely away from it as much as possible as it serves no purpose whatsoever.

Auxman
05-02-09, 02:15
I drink a lot, I can't go out (or post messages) unless I'm half-cut.

Lilcharlie
12-02-09, 01:16
I dont drink, to be honest iam scared to as iam scared it will make me ill and sick and dizzy spells on top of my dizzy spells x

leon_telford
12-02-09, 16:54
Drinking caused the problems I now face, without a doubt I'm sure of it.

Binge drinking on a weekend. Done it for 6 years etc, then all of a sudden 'bang' on Holiday in Cyprus with the lads on the way home on the plane.

At 26 years old I'm hoping I have a bright future already ;-(

bluegirl09
12-02-09, 20:29
out on my birthday last weekend i had two vodkas and a shot the first taste of alcohol since october and boy was it good i really relaxed and had a good nite came home felt a bit wobbly but fell asleep -the next morning however MAJOR panics i was full of anxiety and had quite bad runs not soo good soo probaly just twice a year for me xmas day n my birthday and if mum wins the lottery side -effects arent worth it for me xx

Cat80
28-02-09, 16:06
I don't drink at all, well not unless you count a few times a year eating baileys fudge or baileys cheesecake lol. Cannot stand alcohol and what it does to you and for that reason have never drank (plus I don't like the taste)

janey50
19-03-09, 20:11
I crave alcohol quite often when I am super anxious. Sometimes I give in - I always regret it. I have been hospitalised twice for alcohol-related severe anxiety attacks, it always makes me feel depressed even in small doses, and gives me horrible palpitations, so why do it at all? Maybe one day i will be determined enough to steer well clear of it altogether. I'd advise anyone with anxiety to do the same! Janey.

Tankerton
20-03-09, 12:31
I know I'm drinking more because I feel so much better in the evening, but I know this is wrong. Would love to stop completely, but I only ever have a couple.

Going to try and give it a complete miss week days, maybe have a few at the
weekend

Good luck

Corinna
21-03-09, 14:15
I have referred myself to my local alcohol team cos I am at the point where I need help to stop my drinking, or at the very least, cut down. I'm not an alcoholic but I drink a LOT more than I should. The time that I drink is also getting earlier and earlier and its not unusual for me to have had a "quick" beer before lunchtime. The brutal truth is-it helps. I feel like total crap the next day and my remedy for that is to drink more. I know its makes things worse and I know alcohol is a depressent, but when I'm gripped by anxiety and fear and I KNOW that a big glass of wino is going to help,what can I do?? I would love to be able just to drink socially and drink purely for the enjoyment and not because I need it, and I'm hoping that the alcohol team at the hospital will push me in the right direction.

If I can't stop for me, then I need to stop for my children so I'm determined.

Love to all.

Corinna xx

Kaybee
22-03-09, 03:19
I find drinking makes my moods a lot worse. I get alot more aggitated and focus too much on my breathing. It's not nice.

If you don't drink, I wouldn't start.

bishops
22-03-09, 11:50
Don't chill with boooze ! It is not the answer trust me.

You are fine as you are.

Nicola Quite agree Nicola boooze , meds and anx dont mix, indeed lots of boooze start my PA big time the next day. I take prozac again so i just limit myself to the odd glass of red in the evening but nothing much. I also like the idea of not being a slave to booze and smoking, my PA and anx control most of my life so its best not to have other things as well doing it

finny12000
22-03-09, 12:32
Ive stopped completley now as i drank to ease anxiety
and it got worse and worse and worse to point and im from a hard drinking family of them saying i was worse drinker they had ever met.
Its hard to explain on here what i drank but a bottle of whisky wouldnt last half a hour in morning before i was out for second one to knock me out then same again in evening when i woke a bottle then out for another and anything else i could manage ,i called it suicide drinking but i just wanted knocked out.
Looking back i wonder now why i never just bought 2 bottles at once but in my mind it was me thinking ppl wont think ive a drink problemif i only getone lol
Anyhow all that took its toll mentally physically and when i came off benders anxiety was always increased 2 notches that would never go away
so abstinence was only way i could go or i would be dead now
Ive nothing against social drinking or a glass wine or a beer for anyone that in control but my wagon has run completley dry and i hope to god its never full again

I will also add that anyone on nmp drinking to much needing advice
or help conctact me as i will be glad to help them out as best as i can

amandaj
29-03-09, 12:08
i drink way to much and now its out of control i am currently getting help with it but i see no light at end of tunnel for me stopping atm unless i go and have a dettox

bishops
29-03-09, 13:09
i drink way to much and now its out of control i am currently getting help with it but i see no light at end of tunnel for me stopping atm unless i go and have a dettox Its hard imo i used to drink too much more at weekends . Its not easy but its been 3 years since i can remember being really drunk. You are doing the really good thing GETTING HELP. dont be to hard on yourself just do what YOU CAN to cut down each day. Im taking meds again soim not drinking but dont mind a little when im not. You can cut down and imsure with help you will good luck , if i can anyone can:)

tryingtocope
29-03-09, 21:08
I rarely drink in the house, maybe a couple of drinks a month. The last 2 weekends i have been out drinking with friends and the boyfriend. The first time i went out was a huge step for me, as i get panic attacks pretty much anywhere in public places where i might feel trapped. The alcohol did ease my anxiety, although drinking isn't good for you, it feels great to be able to do something a 'normal' 20 year old would do, and it's something i want to keep up, might try only having one or 2 next time, and get to the point i can do it easily sober.

About 2 years ago, when i was at a pretty low point in my life (before the anxiety, i don't know, i think PTSD) was unemployed for a couple of months too and drinking a bottle of vodka a day, i think i was coming close to becoming addicted, when i started working again, i had to stop, and thankfully i havn't been like that again. It's pretty scary how easily you can slip into it.

PoppyC
30-03-09, 09:13
I dont drink at all. I find it makes my anxiety worse the following 48 hours afterwards and that is even if I only have a couple of drinks. It affects me mentally I can tell.
I didnt drink lots before as I was brought up by an alcoholic violent motherwho has cirhhosis and has also brain damage caused by her heavy drinking of 30 years! I have seen everthing there is due to drinking and the effects it has on the alcoholics family. My mums drinking blew my family apart and all of my family (5) are on anti anxiety and anti depressants. 2 of my sisters have had drinking problems too.

nikita
04-04-09, 15:03
I drink too much and then I feel terrible next day and swear not to do it again but I do. I drink to feel more confident but next day my anxiety is really bad. I hope to be able to give it up and just have a drink when I socialise and not drink at home at all. Im a lot better than I used to be, I wouldnt drink during the day like I used too but my night-time tipple is a bad habit and I have to stop.

Rachel_123
15-06-09, 19:07
hardly ever, im very careful because alcoholism runs in my family

sandy35
16-06-09, 00:21
I used to drink every day about 3 years ago for a short period of time near to the point where I nearly became an alcoholic. I now rarely drink at weekday evenings as I don't go out but I am still finding it a bit of a problem on a Saturday night when I go out. I always say to myself I am going to stick to 3 lager shandys maximum but end up having double the amount and my anxiety is really bad for the few days afterwards. I am seriously going to have to look at cutting down when I go out although I don't go out every Saturday and when I stay in on a Saturday night then I stick to j20 or shloer which is a non alcoholic drink but it looks like wine.

Keeway
16-06-09, 12:14
I drink too much and then I feel terrible next day and swear not to do it again but I do. I drink to feel more confident but next day my anxiety is really bad. I hope to be able to give it up and just have a drink when I socialise and not drink at home at all. Im a lot better than I used to be, I wouldnt drink during the day like I used too but my night-time tipple is a bad habit and I have to stop.
Hi Nikita

This happened to me and you definitely wouldn't want to end up like I was at the beginning of the year. I drank to cope and have more confidence, then I drank because of the depression and anxiety, as it helped me cope and gave an ease from depression for an hour or so sometimes and then the next day I was worse, so I would start the cycle again. Without knowing it I became really addicted (I had been quite a big drinker before, but never like I became) and it was taking over my life. I ended up in hospital with liver failure and kidneys stopped, and there was an 80% chance that I would die. I have not drunk alcohol since Jan 3rd this year, and my liver is now recovering. I was lucky. and given a second chamce.

There's a good website:

http://www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk/

I hope I haven't broken any rules by putting this site on here.

Don't be put off by the counselling in the URL, counselling is optional and you are never asked if you want it - you sign up yourself (at a cost of course) There's a forum which is as helpful on the alcohol side as this one is on the mental health side, and topics range from abstinance to cutting down and many others. It's worth a look

I wish you well, but please don't end up where I did - easier said than done I know. Feel free to pm me if you want to.

Teresa