PDA

View Full Version : Acid Reflux - symptoms

nhf
02-07-11, 12:17
Hi All,

I havent really been on the forum over the last week as i've been doing really well with my anxiety - have been feeling my old self :) - up until yesterday :weep:

I've been suffering with acid reflux (thinking about it i had it before my anxiety but never paid it any attention).

My question is - does anyone ever feel dizzy/lightheaded with it. When it starts for me its like a volcano starting from my stomach and moving up and it just burns, then i feel all lightheaded/dizzy and shake a bit like a hypo attack even tho i am not diabetic. This happens when i am hungry or if ive eaten.

Just wanted some reassurance that others have experienced this, my doc just keeps saying its anxiety (yet im not anxious until it happens!!) All he will give me to treat it is gaviscon but i find this only works for 30 mins then the acid comes back with avengence!

xx

Baster9
02-07-11, 14:20
Hi All,

I havent really been on the forum over the last week as i've been doing really well with my anxiety - have been feeling my old self :) - up until yesterday :weep:

I've been suffering with acid reflux (thinking about it i had it before my anxiety but never paid it any attention).

My question is - does anyone ever feel dizzy/lightheaded with it. When it starts for me its like a volcano starting from my stomach and moving up and it just burns, then i feel all lightheaded/dizzy and shake a bit like a hypo attack even tho i am not diabetic. This happens when i am hungry or if ive eaten.

Just wanted some reassurance that others have experienced this, my doc just keeps saying its anxiety (yet im not anxious until it happens!!) All he will give me to treat it is gaviscon but i find this only works for 30 mins then the acid comes back with avengence!

xx

Haven't experienced this but I think the best way is to consult your doc again and tell him that the gaviscon is working only for 30 mins. Anyway you don't need to feel anxious for the symptoms to pop in, so I guess it's probably due to anxiety.

nhf
02-07-11, 16:16
Thanks for the reply....

Only reason i havent been in to visit the forum is that as ive been feeling my old self ive been getting out of the house alot more and not really been using the internet.

Trying not to go back to the doctor at the moment as i have been so many times since the start of my anxiety in Feb that i dont want to seem like im being hysterical and overreacting.

I also find i am suffering from a lot of wind/gurgling noises from my stomach and this seems to be contributing to the acid too :(

*dick*
02-07-11, 17:46
Yep - I've had the symptoms you describe for years.

I take zantac (ranitidine) everyday. At least one tablet, sometimes 2 or three. Even that doesn't work sometimes.

Defo connection with the anxiety!

CE3K
02-07-11, 17:59
I used to experience true acid reflux; which is basically a result of over-production of acid in the stomach, which then enters the oesophagus and can travel up into the throat. It causes a burning sensation and can be very unpleasant. I've never known it to be the cause of light-headedness, which is more likely to be an anxiety-type response to the sensation the acid reflux is giving.
After trying various things, the only thing that I've found works is Lansoprazole (a protein pump inhibitor) which acts by reducing the amount of acid produced. I've now been on it for almost two years . . . each time I stop using it for a few days, the acid reflux starts up again!
As for the cause of acid reflux; this can be a number of things, including stress, anxiety, diet etc.
As Baster9 says, it might be worth asking your GP if you could try Lansoprazole, or something similar, not least to alleviate the symptoms to give you some respite from it.

nhf
02-07-11, 22:12
Thanks for the replies!

Yep - I've had the symptoms you describe for years.

I take zantac (ranitidine) everyday. At least one tablet, sometimes 2 or three. Even that doesn't work sometimes.

Defo connection with the anxiety!

I wouldnt wish this on anyone but it is a relief to know someone else has the same symptoms as me....

I've never known it to be the cause of light-headedness, which is more likely to be an anxiety-type response to the sensation the acid reflux is giving.

Ive just been to visit the out of hours doctor who has prescribed me omeprazole. Fingers crossed this will sort it out! She said the lightheaded feeling was probably my body responding to the sudden pain of the reflux.