PDA

View Full Version : Heartburn still on lanzoprazole

Catalyst
02-07-11, 23:18
Hi, just wondering if anyone on here that takes omeprazole, lanzoprazole or ranitidine STILL gets a bit of heartburn, even when taking it? I'm asking cos I'm still getting it and its really worrying me that the medication isn't fixing the problem. (I'm currently on lanzoprazole, but have tried all 3!) It makes me worry that something more sinister is going on in there. Especially because I just found out my great-nan had stomach cancer and died at 39. Obviously that is making me worry that it may be genetic (I know there is a stomach cancer variant that is genetic). I keep trying to tell myself that great-grandparents are too far away to really count with this sort of thing and then some stupid tv show randomly suggested otherwise! :mad:

The heartburn I'm getting is definitely not as bad as it was when I wasn't taking the tablets (3 weeks ago). But it is bad enough for me to notice it every day and get fed up with it. I never really suffered with heartburn in the past and this has been going on for months now.

countrygirl
03-07-11, 14:21
Have you had a gastroscopy to look at your food pipe and stomach and first part of small bowel??? If you have then you can stop worrying about ulcers, cancer etc as all of these would have been seen. If you have not been sent for one of these then your Dr should eventually send you if he prescribes acid suppressing meds its one of the guidelines.

But don't panic with the above advice as usual its just routine. I have a haitus hernia and have been taking famotidine ( like ranitidine) for past 15 years and even with it I still have to very careful what I eat and cannot bend over for any length of time or I get crippling heartburn. I have heartburn every day at some time.

I do not want to go onto losec (omeprazole) if I can help it as they are much stronger than what I am on.

See how you go with the tablets, be careful what you eat ( you will find out the triggers) and as I say if you have not had a scope then in time ask your Dr to send you if Dr does not suggest it first.

kibbutz83
03-07-11, 14:44
Hi, I was given Lanzoprazole by a gastroenterologist a while back because he put a camera down my throat and saw what he thought was too much acid.. it actually made my symptoms worse, and I had to stop taking it after 3 weeks. I think the problem is that sometimes giving us an anti-acid is just not the solution. We have stomach acid for a very good reason. I think if we "watch what we eat", and keep away from foods that trigger our excess acid, we'll be much healthier in the long run... doctors very often treat us without actually knowing what is wrong, and that's dangerous for us... I think sometimes we need to "be our own doctor", because only we truly know how we feel...

raja
03-07-11, 14:59
Hi I have been on lanzoprazole for 6 weeks for similar symptoms I have also been told I can take ranitidine when things get bad? I have Hiatus Hernia and mild gastritis nothing too serious you need to watch what you eat, even with that you do sometimes get heartburn. In my case stress and anxiety has been a major factor reducing that will eventually help but takes time, am getting there slowly :) when is your heartburn at the worst before food or after? Do you know your trigger foods?