PDA

View Full Version : How long for a cold?

Savannah
03-07-11, 10:18
I have had a cold 8 days now. I started with a very bunged up right nostril, then left nostril.... then it went to my ears so they are all congested, My mucus has gone from yellow to clear and it is now running out more freely not as thick as at the begining when i was very congested and couldn't blow it out.

No fever, no sinus pain, only coughing when it drips down into throat, but my ears feel so bunged up and nose driving me mad.

Noone else in the house has it, just me. My children are fine, which is good but I am worrying what is wrong with my immune system lately!!

My husband says 8 days is nothing and that it is following the normal pattern for a cold. Is he right? I wouldn't mind if it was winter!!!

saffy f
03-07-11, 10:44
you may have hay fever,in which case it will go on as long as there is a high pollen count.Try getting some antihistamines.
x

menithorts
03-07-11, 11:09
yes I would agree with saffy, it certainly has the symtoms of hay fever and the body reacts to different pollen types during specific seasons so it is worth getting it checked with your GP too

bluetopazgirl
03-07-11, 12:16
Yeah sounds like you could have hayfever, as symptoms are just like a cold. My partner sufferes terribly from it. My youngest son is currently experiencing his 5th cold since april (he was poorly in hospital 2weeks ago following fitting, which was caused by a ear infection following a bad cold for 4weeks) i am beginning to think his could be hayfever as its in the family.. see your gp for piece of mind x

Savannah
03-07-11, 13:18
Thank you.

Occasionally I get some yellow discharge if I blow really hard. Usually clear though. I've been doing sinus rinses which loosens it and that's when I've noticed some yellow. Can you get yellow with hayfever?

I've no fever or sinus pain. Just this congestion and blocked up ears? Again would hayfever cause blocked ears?

Savannah
03-07-11, 14:19
Sorry??

Savannah
03-07-11, 21:47
Is yellow normal with a cold? I had some slight yellow before after doing a sinus rinse but not yellow when I blow my nose any other time, just clear.

LauraSmith27
03-07-11, 22:10
The yellow is probably just older mucus that's been trapped in your sinuses. I had an awful cold in November. It took over two weeks to clear up and was absolutely vile. I had a lot of yellow / green stuff coming out. If you start getting facial pain or it doesn't clear up, go to the GP as you might have a sinus infection. I've had this before and it's easily treated with antibiotics / nasal spray.

Savannah
03-07-11, 22:24
Thanks Laura.

I used to suffer with my sinuses alot but for 2 years I have had a good run, up until now. I used to get an infection with every cold but the last few colds I've had I have actually been fine.

I was just thinking that it was probably from me doing a rinse that brought out the blob of yellow, otherwise when i blow it is clear. I hadn't done a rinse for a couple of days either. Just goes to show the rinses do work to clear you out;-)

I have no facial pain and i am sure my GP once said yellow is fine, it is green that is a concern and requires treatment.

I am using the Nasonex spray that I always take for nose, it works well.

Thank you x

nomorepanic
03-07-11, 22:46
There is a saying "3 days coming, 3 days on and 3 days going" so 8 days is not unusual.

Savannah
04-07-11, 07:24
Thanks Nic.

I guess I'm Jist concerned it's sinus issues again.