PDA

View Full Version : every morning

katykaty
05-07-11, 07:52
Hi, for the past few morning I've started to panic at 7am when I wake up about going to work. Then it really hits at 7.45, I leave the house at 7.50. Its not turned into a full blown attack yet but today it came the closest (hyperventilating, dizziness) its making me not want to go to work as I can't handle the panic before hand. Especially when I know I'm pretty much fine when I get to work and I'm busy prepping lessons and dealing with 30 kids.

I'm scared that its becoming a routine and I don't know how to take it.

I take propanolol every morning at 7am but it doesn't seem to calm me.

Anyone else find their panic comes in a routine?

eva82
05-07-11, 08:16
So I take it you're a teacher...me too! I deal with the same thing almost every morning and it is really interfering with my performance at work. I usually am able to calm down by the time I get to work, but I notice that I spend most of the day on edge, always worried that I am going to have a full blown attack at work (and in front of the children). I am on summer vacation right now and I am trying to spend this time working on my anxiety disorder by devoting my time to counseling and reading lots of self help books. I highly recommend Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Claire Weekes! A lot of us on here suffer from the dreaded morning anxiety and this book gives some great tips on how to deal with panic in the morning.

What helps me the most is:
1. Getting up and out of bed right when I wake up...make a cup of tea or take a nice warm shower. Don't stay in bed worrying as it only makes everything worse.
2. Do 10-15 minutes of deep breathing or guided meditation to help calm your body down.
3. Write down all your feelings in a journal as well as some positive statements or what you hope to achieve that day.

Doing these things does take up extra time in the morning, so its important to wake up a little earlier than usual so you can start your day in a more relaxed way. Hope this helps a bit!

LadySinger
05-07-11, 09:08
Journaling is an excellent way to take the worries from your mind and get past them. I journal when I can't sleep, or am overly anxious. It helps me quiet my mind so that I can attempt meditation. (I haven't got there yet.)

katykaty
05-07-11, 10:15
Thanks for the replies - will definitely track that book down and look into meditation.

The panic did become a full blown panic attack after I posted the message. I had 3 attacks in total as every time I settled and then tried to leave for work it started again. I had to call school and let them know, they suggested going in for break time (11am) to take the pressure off as knowing the later it got the less time I had to calm down. I took myself for a little sleep (aint slept for 2 nights) and feel a lot calmer now. Time will tell though when I have to leave the house in 15 minutes.

Tyke
06-07-11, 01:48
Hi KatyKaty

If the Propranolol isn't really working, maybe it is worth asking the doc if there is anything else he/she can suggest. Has the Propranolol ever been effective for you? Claire Weekes is excellent and I personally use relaxation CDs to bring my anxiety down.

Tyke

katykaty
07-07-11, 08:22
Tyke, I've only been on propanolol for just over a week now so I don't know if my body is just getting used to it.

I used to listen to relaxation cds a few years ago but haven't in a while - is there any that you recommend?

Tyke
09-07-11, 02:42
I used to listen to relaxation cds a few years ago but haven't in a while - is there any that you recommend?
I am currently using this one:
http://your-wellbeing.net/2010/10/well-being-relaxation-cd/
I quite like the fact that it is produced within the NHS, so the people behind it have plenty of experience in dealing with these issues and aren't just doing it for profit. It relaxes me so much I can sometimes fall asleep listening to it. I had another really good one on a tape years ago, but misplaced it when moving house. I tried to reorder it again via the internet, but I couldn't find it anywhere on there - some of these are only produced for a short duration, then just disappear from the market.

I also use some of the stuff on YouTube. There is stacks of stuff on there and it changes all the time. It just depends what suits you best. I prefer something that talks you into relaxation by relaxing parts of your body in turn then leaving you with some soothing music. On the whole I find womens voices more relaxing, though I did record a really good one on YouTube by a bloke when my insomnia needed dealing with. There's plenty of relaxation music on there to suit all tastes too.

Tyke :)