PDA

View Full Version : The year from hell

Rudimentary
05-07-11, 09:06
It's been a really really messed up 12 months for me, and it's affected my confidence so much that I was sacked from my job yesterday, because I wasn't performing well, felt unable to talk to customers and the responsibility was just too much for me. I feel like the world is out to get me & I have no self esteem. I used to be so popular and confident. I don't recognize myself anymore.

12 months ago, I was perfectly happy, living in Romania. I had 2 very good friends, a dream job and life was very easy. Then I got appendicitis, which then turned into peritonitis and ended up having surgery in a third world hospital. I was kept in for 3 weeks and put on a liquid diet for another 3 weeks after.My boss's decided to let me go as I couldn't do anything physical for the next 8weeks due to the 6 inch incision along my abdomen. After recovery, I was posted to Egypt, which was wrong from the very start. I changed jobs within the first week, the next place I went my boss kept trying to pressure me into sex and I lived in complete isolation. Then the civil unrest kicked off, causing the economy to crash, so the money I earnt over there because worthless. But while I was being evacuated my passport got stolen, meaning I had to spend the remainder of my money buying a travel document. On getting home, I discovered a lump in my breast. It turned out to be benign but the doctor wanted to remove it anyway. I had 2 infections in the month that followed and have been left with quite an ugly scar. By this point I was stressed and confused over the events of the last year but had run out of money, so I went to Denmark.
The whole time i've been here i've felt lethargic, unmotivated, sad, empty and have developed a sense of self loathing and a fear others won't like me. I can't get out of bed in the morning and the only thing I look forward to is the end of the day. I don't want to know the customers and have become very shy and don't know what to say to start conversations. I blush every time I make eye contact with somebody then they point out my face is red which makes me turn even redder, then my words won't come out, I sweat and then get very angry with the person who made me react like that. Yesterday I got the sack due to my social skills, which are now in free fall. Please help, I feel like my life is falling apart and someone up there just wants me dead.

DontPanicMrMannering
05-07-11, 09:55
It's been a really really messed up 12 months for me, and it's affected my confidence so much that I was sacked from my job yesterday, because I wasn't performing well, felt unable to talk to customers and the responsibility was just too much for me. I feel like the world is out to get me & I have no self esteem. I used to be so popular and confident. I don't recognize myself anymore.

12 months ago, I was perfectly happy, living in Romania. I had 2 very good friends, a dream job and life was very easy. Then I got appendicitis, which then turned into peritonitis and ended up having surgery in a third world hospital. I was kept in for 3 weeks and put on a liquid diet for another 3 weeks after.My boss's decided to let me go as I couldn't do anything physical for the next 8weeks due to the 6 inch incision along my abdomen. After recovery, I was posted to Egypt, which was wrong from the very start. I changed jobs within the first week, the next place I went my boss kept trying to pressure me into sex and I lived in complete isolation. Then the civil unrest kicked off, causing the economy to crash, so the money I earnt over there because worthless. But while I was being evacuated my passport got stolen, meaning I had to spend the remainder of my money buying a travel document. On getting home, I discovered a lump in my breast. It turned out to be benign but the doctor wanted to remove it anyway. I had 2 infections in the month that followed and have been left with quite an ugly scar. By this point I was stressed and confused over the events of the last year but had run out of money, so I went to Denmark.
The whole time i've been here i've felt lethargic, unmotivated, sad, empty and have developed a sense of self loathing and a fear others won't like me. I can't get out of bed in the morning and the only thing I look forward to is the end of the day. I don't want to know the customers and have become very shy and don't know what to say to start conversations. I blush every time I make eye contact with somebody then they point out my face is red which makes me turn even redder, then my words won't come out, I sweat and then get very angry with the person who made me react like that. Yesterday I got the sack due to my social skills, which are now in free fall. Please help, I feel like my life is falling apart and someone up there just wants me dead.

What does not kill us makes us stronger, you sound pretty independant and I think the series of events in your life have simply exhausted your self confidence, you also sound like you have been going through all of this on your own which must have been hell? you need to be with friends or family and allow your confidence to return, it will not happen over night, you probably feel like everything has been thrown at you at once and the world hates you, but this isn't the truth, and in time you will realise that what happened to you has only made you a better and stronger person, it just takes time.

Dale xx

Tyke
06-07-11, 02:45
You've had a truly awful time of it and it has all knocked your confidence. That isn't surprising given all that has happened to you. You Just need time to start building up that confidence again. Like Dale says, it will take time but if you take it day by day, one step at a time, you will move forward. If you are able to see a doctor it might be worth looking at counselling or medication. You can't change the past, but you can still have a good future.