PDA

View Full Version : Too scared to take meds

marie ross
27-04-06, 16:28
Hi, i've been suffering from a panic disorder now for nearly 2 years and am now bordering on the verge of becoming an agrophobic. I want to go and see my doctor about possibly having medication other than beta-blockers just to help me leave the house without my legs turning to jelly or feel like i'm going to faint. But the thought of the medication making me worse or more anxious petrifies me, am i better off just leaving it or giving it a go?? The thought of being any worse because of the tablets makes me being nearly house bound sound better!
MarieX

wendy
27-04-06, 16:36
Hi Marie

I would defo say to go and speak to you doctor, at least for advise on some meds that will suite you

I am the worlds worse side effect googler and have failed on many meds many times but took a diazepam last week and was totally fine, I think the fear is in our minds because of what we suffer with, Im sure many people on here will say how much medication has helped them alternativelty maybe your Doc could support you with counselling?

Good luck!

Wendy x

Southern_Belle
27-04-06, 17:01
Marie,

I would definately go to the doctor. You don't want to be house bound do you? You will miss out on so much life! You are already taking beta blockers and they haven't done you harm. I know trying new meds are scary but if they make you better it is so worth it. You might feel like your old self again and wouldn't that be nice! Just go and discuss with your doctor and have the option of a decision.

Bel

Spice
27-04-06, 17:26
Hi Marie

I am like yourself and hate the thought of meds and make myself worse by googling for side effects if I have to take anything.
After agreeing with my doc that meds were not an option I am trying CBT which seems to be working for me.
At Christmas I was scared of going outside to put the rubbish in the bin but am slowly geetting back to normality (what ever that is.) lol
I do sometimes have to take the odd diazepam and I'm thinking about trying beta-blockers but the CBT seems to be the key for me.
Everyone is different and I hope that you feel better soon with whatever choice you make.

Take care

Spice
x

Sometimes I give myself the creeps,
Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me,
It all keeps adding up,
I think I'm cracking up, Or am I just paranoid ..... Billie Joe Armstrong

jackie
27-04-06, 18:49
marie i too have a terrible fear of the meds, and i just think you have to weigh up for yourself is the fear worth it for a few weeks til you see it is harmless. for many it is and i know that ashley on this site felt she had to . i personally am at the point were i am trying herbal remedies and i even fear these, bu tthe fact is many millions of people take meds every day with only minor side effects so it may be worth a go

it is a personal choise marie rose and its up to you but i know they can work wonders once in your system

jackie

chucklehound
27-04-06, 19:14
I too am scared of taking meds although I used to take seroxat that worked in getting me out. I came off them too quickly so ended up worse than when I first got anxiety, agoraphobia etc.
I wish you all the luck in getting better
Chuckle

alexis
27-04-06, 20:42
Hi Like the others say at least go and have a discussion, I refused meds for ages, not because of side effects but just because I thought I was a failure if I gave in.
They have done me the world of good, try not to become agrophobic when there is an alternative, i know, I have trouble going places etc for different reasons and Im cross with myself I allowed it to get to this stage.
Wishing you all the best and get on the phone for an appointment, remember only you can committ.xxx:D

marie ross
27-04-06, 21:23
Thank you for all your replies, i have read them all over and over again, i know i should go back and discuss all this with my doc, but its the fear of the side effects that really put me off. I'm going to give this subject a lot of thought and really consider where i'm to go from here. Thanks for all your kind words.
MarieX

existential crisis
27-04-06, 22:18
Marie - I reckon you should pop to the docs and see what he/she has to say. If they do prescribe something and you decide that you want to take it then what I will say is take out the patient information leaflet, walk slowly to the bin with your eyes closed (so you arent tempted to look at it) rip it to shreds, and then throw it in. Then you are in the best place to start taking them! :D Clare xxx

*I think, therefore I am.*

marie ross
27-04-06, 22:27
Hi Clare, thanks for your reply, it made me chuckle, i can't even take a paracetomal without gettting all the symtoms it describes on the side effects!!!!! But seriously i've only been on this site for 1 day, and i've read everyone talking about their meds and to be honest it has scared me, but then again to go through 1/2/3 weeks of hell while the meds kick in for no anxiety at all would be a blessing. Just got to get the courage to go for it. Thanks again
MarieX

Two heads
28-04-06, 09:40
Hi marie!I agree with clare about going to docs,And if you are prescribed something just chuck information leaflet in bin!I made the mistake of reading this over and over again and didnt touch the drugs for aweek also hun!That way you wont do what i did and wait for the ones you read to appear if you no what i mean?Good luck you will be finexxx

KatiePie
04-05-06, 23:38
Hi Marie

I agree with what everyone has said about going to see your doctor again, and if you don't feel you can talk to him/her properly then maybe try a different one?

I was so scared the first time I took anti-depressants (have been on them twice). Like you, even the thought of taking paracetamol worries me. You can imagine how desperate I got before I decided I needed to take something. I was so scared. But they worked and I got well again from a position where I wasn't functioning.

If you can cope without then I think that's fantastic, but if you make the decision to take something then it doesn't make you a weaker person.

Good luck!

KatiePie

violet
06-05-06, 18:49
Hi Marie,

I know exactly how you feel about taking the meds. I'm having panic attacks for nearly six months now and at the beginning I was determinded to get over it without any medications. I have tried everything: councelling, aromatherapy, yoga, homeopathy, meditation etc etc. I've got loads of self help books too. I had my days: some good, some bad. Most of them were bad, actually. I havent had a full blown PA for a few days (as if I was trying to ignore them and it worked) until today it went over the top - it was one of the worst. And I hate taking tablets anyway, I like natural remedies, even for a simple headache I would hesitate before I took a paracetamol. So, finally I've given it up and took my first one today. I'm sick and tired of this anxiety. I want to be able to go shopping, to go out with my friends without having fear - simply enjoy my social life again! I read a lot about it and I feel positive. I just cant bear the thought of getting crazy, loosing control etc anymore. I want to be normal, I want to be my old self again. I hope it will work for me.

Phill2
08-05-06, 05:46
I was exactly the same re fearing the meds. I also googled all the side effects and decided to go on Lexapro (Cipralex in Europe) and haven't looked back since
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

Two heads
08-05-06, 15:26
Please try not to fear these meds marie!I to feared mine to being with but i just so wanted a normal life again.Maybe they are worth trying just for a couple of months to see if there for you hun?xxx

KatiePie
09-05-06, 18:07
Hi Marie
Taking meds may help to give you the space you sound you need. I got so tired trying to control my anxiety without them that I just ended up getting worse. I think I couldn't have been any worse on them. I felt better incredibly quickly and became able to think rationally again and started to see a counsellor and change some things about my life.
It is scary.....I had to get a friend to sit with me the first time I took a tablet and was too scared to be alone for a few days, but the only symptoms I had were a dry mouth and a bit of sweatiness and shaking...very similar to the symptoms I was getting from the anxiety anyway.
Let us know what you decide to do.
Good luck with whatever your choice is.
KatiePie

marie ross
09-05-06, 22:33
Thanks KatiePie

I thought that i could just sail through this without any meds, but its becoming obvious things are getting a lot harder, and i'm just getting worse. It's nice to hear that you got on with your meds, what were they? I'll probably be the same as you if i ever took them, but i'd be camping out in my local A & E just in case the side effects were too severe!!!!

Thank you for your reply.

Marie XXX

Phill2
10-05-06, 02:41
I found the side effects of Cipralex (Lexapro) negligable though my doc did put me on a small dosage of diazepam to calm me for 2 weeks first
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

KatiePie
10-05-06, 21:03
Hi Marie
I was on Sertraline 50mg for over 2 years and remained on the same dose throughout. I took one a day but over the last few weeks have reduced until I'm now on one every three days. I feel fine so far.
I took time off work just as I started to take them - I couldn't cope with the panic any longer - and went and stayed with my mum for the first week just so I had someone around. I was 31 at the time! But maybe you're never too old to need your mum!
I didn't actually 'need' anyone around as I didn't feel any different when I took them, but I think it was a psychological thing really.
:-)