PDA

View Full Version : Major panic and jittery feeling

benjibin
05-07-11, 14:46
Hi I have been suffering from panic attacks and a severe feeling that I can't breathe for months. Have recently been off work for 2 weeks and have just gone back on a phased return but finding it very difficult to cope. I have been prescribed propranolol 10mg to take 3 times a day but have just been taking one in the morning about 8am and then one again about 12pm. They seemd to be working at first but now the severe panic feeling and jittery feelings are back. I am desperate to get back to work and not sure if I've gone back too early or these severe jitters and panic feelings are side effects of the propranolol. Have rung the doctors but cant get an appointment until next Thursday. I am wondering if I should just up the dose to 20mg each time or stop it completely. I am the main wage earner in the house so cant stay off work for too long. This is also causing me anxiety/ I have spoken to a counsellor on the phone who just said they would arrange for me to see someone but there is a long waiting list. I can't afford to pay private.
Any advice would be very welcome....

Tyke
06-07-11, 01:40
It's very hard to know the effectiveness of drugs in an individual as they can work very differently in other people. I found Propranolol took the edge off, but I didn't really get better until they put me on anti-depressants (Sertraline). I would try and remain on the same dose until you have seen the doc. Coming off might make you worse, but increasing shouldn't really be done unless you've got the all clear to do it in case it isn't the best way forward. I took Propranolol once a day in slow release capsules - maybe they would suit you better.

Tyke

benjibin
06-07-11, 04:14
Thanks for the reply. Am writing this in the early hours. Woke up in a panic, something which I never do normally. I always sleep really well. I think maybe I have gone back to work too early, as all I can think about when I am at work is getting home. I think I may ask to try some anti depressents as the propranolol are just not working. I am so focused on the anxiety they aren't making much difference. Will try and get a telephone appointment.

beastsbeauty
06-07-11, 11:33
Hi benjibin.
I take Propranolol. I am now fortunately only in need of 1 x 10mg as and when required. However, at the start I was given very specific instructions by my GP on how many to take and when. It's very important that if your Doctor told you to take them 3 times a day that you do actually take them. I know you've only been missing one a day, but that one could make a big difference in helping you. I'd suggest you start taking the tablets 3 times a day as originally advised. It may take a while for the tablets to start taking effect as they need time to enter your system. Be patient and I'm sure you'll notice a difference. Propranolol worked for me. I was on specific prescription for 12 months then was gradually weaned to lower intake. I now only need to take them when I feel the need, although thankfully this is not often now. Have you considered trying relaxation techniques to help with the feeling of not being able to breathe. I used to feel that way and tried a relaxation cd that worked wonders.
Feel free to message me if you feel the need.

beastsbeauty
06-07-11, 11:34
benjibin,

Is it the job itself that could be causing your anxiety?

benjibin
06-07-11, 20:07
Thanks for the reply. I have been back to the doctors today and he wanted to up the dose to 40mg 3 times a day. I was reluctant to take that dosage so we agreed on 20mg 3 times a day.He also took blood to test for an overactive thyroid. I don't think I do have a problem with that but it's good to rule it out. I think circumstances over the past 6 months ahve just got to me.( son unwell and needing brain surgey, me needing a scan also and son losing job etc) but after taking new dosage I had a better day at work. Still felt jittery but it didn't last as long. Also realised I need to be more positive in my attitude. My job is great, I love working there and the people are lovely.I have just made myself think the panic attacks only happen at work so I think thats why I've been having problems going in. My boss said to me again today to take my time and just to do what I want. Luckily he and my colleagues are very supportive :) I am waiting for counselling and hopefully CBT. I hope that along with propranolol will do the trick and get me back on track.

xx

Tyke
07-07-11, 00:18
Glad things are a litle better for you Benjibin. It does sound like you have a good job and nice people to work with. It isn't surprising you have had panic issues considering the stress you have been under. I hope things will now improve for you.

Tyke :)