PDA

View Full Version : Drinking

becksfan86
06-07-11, 12:49
Quick Question, il be going out in a few weeks for a leavers do, im on Sertraline 100mg tablets, now if i didnt take my tablet on the day of drinking alcohol would that be ok? I dont want to be the only one not drinking, rarely i even go out let alone drink, would it mess me right up? Or should i leave the driinking?

Charmaine

Tyke
07-07-11, 02:51
Hi Charmaine

I've had this problem too. I am on Sertraline 50mg. My doctor originally told me not to drink at all, but now that I am stable he says I'm OK to drink small amounts, not more than you would if you were driving. I have since had a couple of drinks occasionally with no ill effects. If you feel fairly settled on the medication when the leavers do comes round, you would probably be okay with a drink or two, but don't have more than that. Probably best to check with your doc to be certain. I wouldn't miss out a tablet.

Tyke

Anxious_gal
07-07-11, 04:49
I have a friend who does this, often skips the tablets on weekends, over all she has been ok but has felt more depressed after drinking and no medication .
also you might get withdrawal symptoms if you miss a tablet but everyone is different.
I myself years ago drank whiskey on this medication, I did end up getting a rather fast heart beat but then alcohol does increase your heart rate.
But just because a few people were ok while drinking on it doesn't mean it is safe and could affect you differently.

I found this "Alcohol In 11 healthy subjects administered Lustral (200mg daily) for 9 days, there was no adverse effect on cognitive or psychomotor performance relative to placebo, following a single dose of 500mg/kg alcohol. However, the concomitant use of Lustral and alcohol in depressed patients is not recommended."

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of the alcohol interacting with the antidepressant.

I would prefer you did not drink while taking the medication, but if your intending on drinking, I am not sure if it would be better to skip the tablet or to take it.
I would ask your doctor and tell him if you are going to drink or call into your local pharmacy for some advice or maybe ring up nurse line in the UK.

becksfan86
08-07-11, 09:56
Thanks for the replies, i am not going to miss a tablet ive decided last time i done that i was in bad state need to learn from that mistake LOL as for the drinking il ask my doctor when i next go there.