PDA

View Full Version : New to HA (but not to anxiety)

skygreen_leopard
06-07-11, 13:35
Hi everyone, just joined the forum..first post and straight in :blush:. Been having lots of odd pains and been back and forward to the doctors lately, it all started with testicular pain which i think triggered a lot of the other stuff as i got seriously freaked that it was cancer and then everything spiralled.

I keep going to the doctors and they keep telling me its anxiety...and i believe them to some extent, but i am getting really odd symptoms and dont really know how to deal with them. I have constant eye pain, weird feelings on my face and have had dizziness, scalp pain, chest pain, tinnitus etc etc.

Being anxious and obsessive (i have OCD), i cant help but worry its a brain tumour or something serious... .The doctor put me in to see neurology but theres a 6 month waiting list and i really cant afford to go private. I dont know how to deal with the uncertainty of it all, i know this is all pretty common but i just dont know how to deal.

I just feel at a loss and dont really know what i expect people to say. :weep:

holly1986
06-07-11, 19:43
hello welcome to the board!
Sorry to hear about your aches & pains. We all get them.

doctors are doctors because they KNOW when someone is ill and they do the tests to back up what they already know.

To make you realise how anxiety can change your trail of thought and make you genuinely physically ill and in pain, i remember when i first had anxiety, i was dizzy and had no explanation as to why, queue doctor google! frantically searching for my symptoms and related problems and all of a sudden i was convinced i had a brain tumour, i thought my arm was numb. My head started to pound, i felt sick, shaky, lacked concentration had chest pains and difficulty breathing at times. i went to the docs and had multiple tests & examinations and i had anxiety. all the time i was told what it was i didnt believe them.

5 years later and guess what? i still dont fully believe them. Im convinced i have an underlying heart condition that theyve missed and im going to die at any given point. Im petrified.

Its hard for me to say what i dont believe, but its anxiety. I wish i, like you, could accept it but its so hard.

I find by taking my mind off of stressful situations i feel better, i hope you can do the same

x

skygreen_leopard
06-07-11, 22:03
Thanks for the reply Holly, it makes me feel a bit better. I think with all my anxiety google dosent help one bit as it can seemingly convince me that everything is wrong and being anxious i always tend to look at the worst possible outcome, as a sort of risk assessment (i even look at statistics and plot the likelihood of getting certain illnesses lol).

I think i am driving my family wild, and at some stage i will have to accept the medical advice i have been handed. I think i possibly have some problems but i have let my mind go wild e.g. my ears hurt but i did have an infection not long ago so its probably something to do with that.

The dizziness really freaked me out in particular though because i couldnt walk for about 3 weeks and thought i was going to die and have never had it before :blush:.