PDA

View Full Version : Statins and side effects

CE3K
09-07-11, 15:36
I've put this thread here, as there doesn't appear to be anything suitable under the Medication section . . . but (Mods) please feel free to move it . . . .

I was aware of the possible side effects of Statins when I was put on them in April last year (along with blood pressure tabs and aspirin).
The problem is that once anxiety symptoms take their hold, it's really difficult to decide whether to attribute a symptom with the anxiety or the medication.
Well, one of the symptoms which has slowly increased in the last six months is muscle weakness, aching joints etc, and I've just always put this down to being related to stress, age, diet etc.
However, my GP yesterday felt that this particular feature could more than likely be as a result of the statin I take (Lipitor, or Atorvastatin).
Lo and behold, the little bit of research I've done on this today highlights this as being one of the commonest side effects, although the pharmaceutical studies play it down as being 'rare and minor'. However, there appears to be increasing evidence that statins aren't all they're cracked up to be (yes, they do lower cholesterol) and in fact, the prevalence of such side effects are a lot more common (and not so minor for some people) than has been previously suggested.
At my GP's suggestion, I'm going to stop taking my statin (for at least one month) and see whether my muscle weakness and aches improve or not.
I just wondered whether anybody else has lokked into this and perhaps gone down the same route and if so, have you seen any difference or not?

melvin
09-07-11, 15:50
i know my brother in law had bad muscle problems so they changed his meds and hes ok now .iv just gone on to them as my col was 6.1 im on simvastatin 40mg 1 at night dont know why have to take it at night though and im on blood pressure tabs .im only 49 i keep fit swim go to gym i do smoke though but im trying to give up .

AlexandriaUK
09-07-11, 15:55
Hi my other half is on the simvastatin as well and he has no probs, as for quitting smoking I went that way over 18 months ago and although at first my anxiety went through the roof it seems to have come down a bit since quitting, dont let anyone tell you that you will feel worse if you quit you want I promise, this is a site for quitting
http://forum.nosmokingday.org.uk/
Well worth joiming as so is quitting as smoking makes anxiety worse and the strange thing is people with HA smoke when we know it will eventually kill us :unsure:

pammy1944
09-07-11, 16:01
i came off statins after 6 yrs on them ....my muscles hurt so bad .....i lost teeth and hair ...all because of statins .....I now take CoQ10 to try and counter-act some of the damage done.

nomorepanic
09-07-11, 17:47
I am on Lipitor and I was sure that a lot of my muscle ache was due to them so they took me off them for a month. Things didn't really change so I was put back on them again!

I think it is all trial and error to be honest.

haynsey
09-07-11, 22:57
Hi my husband is on atorvastatin and 8 other sorts of drugs and has not had any side effects on any but he remembers on called metformin which is used with insulin

Magic
10-07-11, 14:40
Hi,I take Lipitor 40mg . I was put on 10mg at first and I was ok ,then i was given 20mg and I was ok. Now since I have been taking 40mg I have terrible muscle pain.
The Gp said I could come off them for 6 months to see whay happens.
I asked her if she could reduce the dosage,but she said no.
I have stayed on them for now, but when my check up comes around I am going to ask if I can come off them . My worry is will my cholesteral go up.
Its the old swing and round abouts!!!!!!!

CE3K
10-07-11, 15:50
Thanks for all your replies :).
My immediate plan is to stop taking them for at least a month and keep an eye on my diet (which isn't too bad on the whole).
The key diet things are to swap back to Flora Proactive, instead of butter (I went back on to butter after the statins had successfully reduced my cholesterol!!!), reduce the number of biscuits I have with cups of tea, limit myself to one curry every couple of weeks.
Although not cholsterol-related, I'm going to start taking a high quality multi-vitamin and ginger capsules (for the nausea and to help the joints).
I've already started having a probiotic each day.
Just need to avoid red wine every night!! so my plan is to go at least three nights a week without.
I'll be asking my GP for a cholesterol test in a month or two's time to see if I'm staying around the level I'm at now (4.0) or whether it's started to creep up.