PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine

katykaty
10-07-11, 17:22
I'm having a bit of a rough day - been doing my planning and resourcing for this week's lessons (I'm a teacher) and found myself getting really overwhelmed. I had to turn off my laptop and take myself for a bath to chill for a bit. I hate feeling like I can't do my work as its not like I can get away with not doing, I don't do my work then my kids can't do theirs!

However I have found that when my anxiety is coming on I feel the urge to get outside into fresh air! I'm so thankful that there is a bit of sun today so I can sit outside quite comfortably.

Does anyone else find that just being outside, regardless of the sun, can help their anxiety?

en07jp
10-07-11, 18:25
Yea I definitely know what you mean. Can cheer my day up when feeling a bit low as well, something that just makes you relax when sitting in the sun i think.

Bill
11-07-11, 02:42
when my anxiety is coming on I feel the urge to get outside into fresh air!

Stress produces adrenalin preparing us to fight or run but we don't have lions to fight or run from in the modern age so we end up feeling trapped in our home, on transport, at work etc - anywhere where we feel confined. Therefore, getting out into the fresh air helps us to feel free by getting us away from whatever it is that is stressing us.

One "not so funny" thing about anxiety is that it can either cause us to panic by feeling trapped Or cause us panic when we feel vulnerable when we're out and about making us feel the need to feel safe in a closed environment. It affects people in different ways which is why no one treatment fits all.:hugs:

Ingenious
11-07-11, 12:37
Yes getting out into the fresh air and seeing some nice countryside, or the seaside, is very underrated as a treatment for anxiety and depression. However the irony is the worse we feel the less inclined we are to go out. I've found in recent months if you combine a trip out with a good walk too, you get the best of both worlds, exercise and fresh air. I also take a camera with me and have started blogging about it too, it really helps to keep that positive cycle up.