PDA

View Full Version : Back to work tomorrow...nervy as hell

Chester
10-07-11, 18:43
Well afte 2 weeks off with anxiety after a false harassement claim I'm returning to work on a phased return with 5 hours a day instead of my normal 10.

The doctor recommended another 2 weeks off but being at home is making the return to work something I'm dreading more so I felt in my own mind that I was ready.

I enjoy work a lot and when I'm there I'm fine. It's the journey I'm dreading tbh. I've been having some toilet issues which have affected my social life of late, doc has prescribed some immodium style tablets which have helped a lot but I'm just really nervous.

I've got the positive thought thing in mind having had CBT last year and it seems my problem has moved on from panic to anxiety. I know nothing will happen and that the journey will go fine. I've done it hundreds of times but tomorrow...I'm dreading. My worst fear is that I'll take my safety behaviour and end up in a cab to work

Hate that feeling

Ingenious
10-07-11, 20:04
Good luck - I'm sure it will go OK. It's the fear of what might happen isn't it? Focus on what you have said above - you enjoy the job and you have done that journey hundreds of times. And, by this time tomorrow it will all be done and you'll be patting yourself on the back. It's always such a big step returning to work but in virtually every case the fear is completely unfounded and you soon get back into the groove :)

snowgoose
10-07-11, 20:36
hi :)

remember the feeling well .......horrid morning anxiety when we are most vulnerable .

do your breathing exercises .........eat something if you can before even a yoghurt ...............go out and sniff the fresh air for awhile [daft but it helps honest] .......stay hydrated .

this may not be the best advice :blush:.....but what helped me most on first day back .was being told by my husband .if it gets too much you come home. end of . you are not backed into a corner like a frightened rat .
that gave me space to say of course I will be fine ......and I was .:)

and again for first day back ? if you need a cab? well so be it mate .
you wont need it afterwards . the relief and joy you have after first day back will carry you through .
will think of you .....you will be ok honest :hugs:

Chester
10-07-11, 21:00
Thank you both for the encouragement.

My anxiety is particularly bad in the morning but I've picked out 2 of my favourite Bill Brysons (which I've read countless times) to use on the bus (as well as reading nmp forums on my phone) and I'm going to do my best to get through. I'll force a yoghurt down and walk the dog and hope that'll be enough.

I've got my emergency £20 (taxi fall back)

snowgoose
10-07-11, 21:08
love Bill Bryson :D:D:D

and always take emergency money too [nowt wrong with that]

I like Katz in the books :D

natasha75
10-07-11, 21:15
good luck for tomorrow snowgosse even if you get a cab you still made it hope everything gose well will be thinking of you:hugs::hugs:

snowgoose
10-07-11, 21:23
bit of a mistake .........jkkne is the poster my love........not me .

but have done it sooooooooo many times myself Natasha .xx

Chester
11-07-11, 20:06
Well....I did it.

The morning walk and having yoghurt on the stomach really helped. I had to wait 15 minutes for a bus which was a bit tenseful as I got myself worked up and felt a bit retchy. I was fine on the bus and fine at work. I feel absolutely great today. I've never felt as 'alleviated'.

Touch wood that it stays the same as I know we all have ups and downs.

One thing that I was disappointed in, mainly myself was my reaction to the false 'accuser' of my harassement case. I promised to be the bigger person but I felt a lot of anger towards them and completely blanked them when they tried a talk and singled them out by not saying bye when I left.

After today, feeling I could go back full time but I'm not pushing it. Really feeling good about things. Hope it lasts!

snowgoose
11-07-11, 20:29
delighted to read this Jkkne .
you must feel so relieved ..........you did it !!!!!!

dont push going back to full time to soon ........give yourself some time to just settle again eh?

as for your accuser? ... silent dignity is the way .
so pleased all went well .take care :hugs: