PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure obsession..ugh!

kivyt73
10-07-11, 23:05
Hi Everyone,
I have posted here before but I am struggling again. Let me first say I don't have high blood pressure. A couple of years ago I had a few elevated reading at my docs office and that set off my obsession (I think the highest was 160/100 one time). Since then I have been obsessively checking and thinking about my bp. It got so bad that I had to get my husband to throw away the bp machine, but then I just went to numerous groceries and pharmacies checking and rechecking until I got a "good" number. My good number is below 115/75. My therapist finally had to call my gp and ask him to tell me to stop and to only check once a month. I have been doing that now for almost a year (well I check every three weeks or so, haven't quite made it a month yet) and it has been ok but I am stressing again. My average bp right now is 108/75 and the last time I checked my reading was 105/73 so logically I know I shouldn't even be checking at all but I can't seem to get there yet.

Right now I am obsessing because I am going on vacation to the beach in two weeks and I know I have to check before that and I am afraid it will be high and then I will be worked up and it will ruin my vacation......I just want to relax and enjoy a week away without sneaking out to the pharmacy or thinking constantly about my bp.

Help http://www.anxietyzone.com/Smileys/default/kooky.gif
Ivy

nomorepanic
10-07-11, 23:08
You have to work out why you are obsessed with this blood pressure taking before you can stop it.

Once you know why then you can work on stopping taking it.

Your blood pressure readings are fine though.

Almost_there
11-07-11, 02:58
It's just an obsession maybe read Claire Weekes she covers obsession pretty well. Or you can try this-make a conscience decision NOT to check anymore. Just remember every time you want to check it that u made a decision not to check because yr blood pressure is fine and anyway it changes all the time after excercises it can be 160/100 EASILY even more but excercises are GOOD for yr heart. Just stop checking cos NOTHING will change if you don't check. You'll forget about it eventually:)

Almost_there
11-07-11, 03:00
Ps I'm other way around I hate checking Bp as every time it's high naturally cos I'm worried about it being high so I just don't want to check it:) I'll have to face this fear soon though

kivyt73
11-07-11, 11:32
Thanks for the replies, you guys are always so supportive. I don't really know why I obsess about this other than it is just a form of ocd. I hate it though and you are right almost there I need to stop all together but I am trying to wean myself I guess. It is so crazy, like an addiction. I just want to relax on my vacation and not be thinking about bp when I don't have bp!
Thanks,
Ivy

Almost_there
12-07-11, 12:48
So what if you will think about it though. Thinking doesn't control yr actions. Think all you want you'll soon get very bored:) just don't actually act on yr thoughts-don't check