PDA

View Full Version : teeth, obsession with bite/jaw/etc

MandySlade
11-07-11, 02:59
I've had a lot of dental work done in the last 2 years, including an impacted extraction. Previous to all of this, I hadn't seen a dentist in about 13 years due to phobia. I also had some deep cleanings, 8 fillings, and an erupted wisdom tooth removal. I still have one impacted that they said I can wait on since it's not *knock on wood* causing any trouble.

My issue is that, no matter what "good" I do, I am finding myself obsessing over my teeth now. My current obsession is my bite. I can't tell if it's actually off or if I just -think- it should be off because of the widsom removal a few months back. I've been looking at old pics of myself and wondering if my teeth look any different. I have issues with TMJ and so recently I've been thinking maybe my bite is off or my jaw sits weird. Currently I'm sitting here wondering if it's normal that my teeth don't touch much when my face is relaxed. Like, exactly how much contact is normal when you're just sitting around watching tv... and what is too much. I think I'm moving my jaw around and/or clenching it just because I'm trying to remember how it goes naturally. God, that sounds crazy. I'm also obsessing with how my teeth "feel" in general... where my top ones touch the back of my lip, etc. :( I don't know when I'm just obsessing or when I should be concerned about something anymore. I don't think my teeth touch much if it all when im just sitting around, and now I keep thinking "that can't be normal can it?" .......uhg!

Anxious_gal
11-07-11, 05:38
Hey, I have a lot of issues with my teeth too. Am due to have my wisdom teet out and the rest fixed.
I also have TMJ. My bite feels very off at thr moment, my wisdom teeth are too big, but my teeth still fit together ok and i chew, if you can do these too then nothings wrong only you are too aware of your bite being off.
Any time I hsve had a filling or a tooth pulled it would take me a while to get used to it as my bite again would feel a bit odd, sometimes a filling might be too big so your teeth cant meet but your dentist can fix that, it happened to me one time,
If you have tmj be aware of clenching your terth, relax you bottom jaw, letying it just hang open a little bit will help.
NO when you are relaxed your teeth dont touch, your mouth may stay closed, if your terth touch your tensing your jaw :)
I hope this helped you a lityle bit not to be too worried x

Derekhuffman
12-04-16, 07:31
I have been obsessed with my teeth and bite for over 5 years now, It feels so uncomfortable all the time. I'm glad to fins someone I can relate to. I was wondering what this is called. Is it OCD or BDD or what...?