PDA

View Full Version : swallowing advice please xxx

dazzle
28-04-06, 20:04
Hello,

This is my first post!

When Im nervous, I stuggle swallowing. This really affects me eating.

Im fine first thing in the morning, but as the day gets on it gets more and more difficult. With every bit of food i eat i feel i need to take a sip of water.. and only manage small bits at a time of soft food.

People dont understand, 2 years ago i was stressed over getting married and moving and I lost 3 stone and people assumed i was anorexic.. I dont like being thin, I just want to be able to eat without worrying and go to restaurants with my friends :(

Last year I was pregnant and for the last 5 months of the pregnancy, my swallowing became normal again and it was just great:)

Then the problem returned when my baby was 1 month old. I am certain it is anxiety, as it gets worse when im stressed!

I would really like advice that anyone can offer me. I want to be swallowing without worrying before my baby is old enough to see I have a problem. Family meals at the table are important to me!

Please help?

nell1965
28-04-06, 21:42
yes you are right it is anxiety because if it had been anything else it would have reared its ugly head by now, however i know its hard to deal with all the same

Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)
Here is a link to common problems you will see that one of them is all about lump in throat if you read these it may help you to understand it a bit better
hope this helps

I just want my life back
nell
x

jackie
29-04-06, 13:56
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=reading

dazzle welcome aboard. dazzle my advice to you is the same as i give amny people so im sorry to repeat myself. if you have never read claire weekes book entitled self help for your nerves then get it as soon as you can. she goes into depth about this horrible symptom of anxiety and also explains that whilst you continue to fear this symptom and focusing on it, it will remain

i really hope this helps. the book i reccomend will without a doubt

take care

jackie

denise84
29-04-06, 16:08
i used to be like that when trying to swallow food, it is because we are making ourselves aware of our swallowing, and our muscles arent going naturally because we are focing them to swallow the food.....if that makes sense??

dmcgovern

dazzle
30-04-06, 17:45
Hi:)

I really appreciate you both taking the time to reply to me, jckie and Denise

I will certainly now go and buy the book Jackie - thank you.

Denise, how did you get rid of the thinking about swallowing iyswim?

dazzle
xxx

dazzle
30-04-06, 17:46
sorry Nell, somehow only just seen your post (juggling an active 7 month old on my knee!)

thanks for the link

gilly123
05-05-06, 20:55
[:o)]
Hi Dazzle, I have only just joined the site and i'm not sure what i'm doing yet....but...oh...the swallowing symptom. I am going through hell with it at the moment. I keep telling myself 'i can swallow the food' but...i still cant!!. I know its anxiety but ive been thinking throat cancer etc!! but its not, its that horrible tension. I find if i'm tired its harder for some reason. As for eating in front of anyone..well..thats definately out of the picture. As for what to do, well i found that if i try not to think about it, it gets slightly easier, but its one of my main symptoms at the moment. Sorry i cant help but i thought i'd let you know i do understand the ordeal your having with food..Gill
gill

leslie_ve
12-05-06, 23:01
hi i get this a lot im ok in morning then as the day goes on i can feel every bit of food going down and i chew my food for ages. its horrible cos u think u ave got a ilness, but it sometimes does go for weeks when im verry happyand content .only to come back. the only thing that helps me is to keep busy and then u get hungry then u gulp it down without thinking. then after a while u seem to not care anymore...