PDA

View Full Version : Driving anxiety - does anyone else suffer? Does CBT help?

FRANK30
11-07-11, 14:04
I first experienced a panic attack while driving 2 years ago. It came out of the blue whilst driving on a dual carriageway, I honestly felt I was going to "fall off" the road. As if I would somehow tip off the edge! I was sweating, shaking and couldn't grip the steering wheel. I started slowing right down in the end, I just wanted to stop the car and get out. (In the middle of the road!). Eventually I managed to pull off at the next exit, but I was in a terrible state and had to ask a relative to come out and get me.

Since then I have been uncomfortable on all motorway journeys or dual carriageways. Its the feeling of not being able to stop or have anywhere to pull over. I get sweaty and shaky and very tense. Like you, I would happily sit in traffic and get to my destination slowly. I never go above 70mph and I am petrified of over-taking, which means I have to sit on the inside lane. I don't care if I'm stuck behind a slow-moving lorry! I feel safer that way. In all honesty, I would avoid the motorway and use the "back roads" to get to my destination, even if it took twice as long and used more petrol.

It's a shame, because I have been driving for 10 years and I have driven on motorways before - lots of times. I used to have jobs which meant a daily commute on 3 motorways. Nowadays I work locally, so I barely use my car at all, except to visit friends and new places. I view my car as freedom, so I don't want to give it up. Sometimes I think the problem is that I don't go on the motorway enough, so I have built it up as a massive thing whenever I need to drive anywhere.

Anyway, recently I decided to seek help for my problem. I was prescribed beta-blockers two years ago, but they didn't help. Fortunately I have private health cover through my work. I was referred by my GP for CBT at a private clinic. I had my first appointment last week and as part of my homework, I have been asked to come up with a hierarchy (1-10) of driving scenarios I fear most. So for me, being stuck in a contraflow lane on the outside lane of the motorway would frighten me to death - that would be a 10. Driving on a dual carriageway/motorway, is a 6. Driving locally would be a 1.

I am having CBT every fortnight and I just hope it works for me. I want to be able to look forward to driving and not feel so scared. I don't ultimately know what I am frightened of when I drive, but I don't feel in control and I over-analyse the drive too much.

Does anyone else experience the same sense of panic when driving on motorways and dual carriageways? I was initially really embarrassed to admit that I have a condition, because prior to having my first PA I was a very confident driver.

Has anyone else found CBT has helped them?

Be good to hear from anyone who has experienced similar problems?!

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/nmp/misc/progress.gif

nomorepanic
11-07-11, 14:22
You may want to look up my post - use the search facility and search for "cbt driving" in the titles only.

I can't look for you as I am just off to work but it will be very useful for you to read it.

nomorepanic
11-07-11, 14:25
Ok I found it here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7162

nomorepanic
11-07-11, 14:26
You may want to read this as well:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/mystory/

lincolnkate
11-07-11, 14:30
omg, this is part of my day to day life. last Monday I had the worse atack in my car ever whilst going to work (which I have now been signed off sick due to this happening) I too fear the ques on dual carriage ways, and in this incident i was stuck for 15 mins because of a broken down lorry, plus it was the hottest day we had had for a while. I was uncontrollable, i actually rang my husband as I thought I was going to die. I am having my first proper CBT next Thurs (have had my 2 assessments) he thinks he will help me, my other fears are fainting, losing control and I also get very depersonalised which I think is the scariest feeling ever.

FRANK30
11-07-11, 16:24
Thank you Nicola

I read your posts with interest. I need to practice my driving a lot more, as you have. It is part of my 'homework' for my CBT. I tried driving on a dual carriageway last week, but I came off at the first junction and went the back roads as I couldn't control my anxiety. I need to practice not coming off and driving through my anxiety.

I noticed you are keeping a diary. Do you find different moods affect your driving? i.e if you're feeling low generally, your driving anxiety is worse? I'm trying to map my moods to see if this affects me. If I am tired or stressed I get myself very worked up.

I take it you are finding the CBT sessions helpful?

nomorepanic
11-07-11, 16:37
Hi Frank

Well that post is quite old now - 2006 - but I am still doing ok with my driving at the moment.

I now see a road cone in road works as just a cone and not some major thing that is going to cause me to panic and freak out.

Driving when tired is harder work and I do have to concentrate more on "keeping it together" and sometimes when I see the dreaded "roadworks ahead" sign I do start to get a bit panicky but once I have got through it I pat myself on the back and remind myself that I have come a long way.

The only way to overcome it though was to work hard and drive up and down motorways and challenge myself through those thoughts.

It can be done but it takes time and it won't happen instantly.

mamoonkay
12-07-11, 00:39
Wow nice post this is very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Col
12-07-11, 09:58
Hi frank,

I've written a post on fear of fainting( type it I to search) which gives my personal experiences regarding panic.

But I think you've got a solution to your panic so your doing well, the fact that you can still get from A to B is a positive some individuals including myself have out of the blue and completely out of character have had a complete life changing experience that extends across every aspect of everyday life and not just driving. I think although this is awful what you experience when your driving to make you feel better think how much worse this could be look at others comments on this site and reaffirm to yourself that although this is an unpleasant and distressing experience it's limited only to a car and driving and at least although annoyingly you can however still carry on with work and you can still end up where you want to be. That's a positive way to look at it because some individuals can't even bare to leave there front door.

FRANK30
13-07-11, 12:23
I appreciate that a healthy dose of perspective is required for my particular condition. In fact, that is what makes it so frustrating, that it does only extend to driving on motorway/dual carriageways. It's very specific and no amount of bringing logic into it seems to help. The danger of course, is that I could stop the car in the middle of the road or slow right down which can cause a danger to myself and other drivers. Also, my panic attacks did come out of nowhere and now I avoid motorway driving which just isn't practical. Especially as I was a confident driver prior to this.

Panic attacks in whatever form are debilitating. I will continue with my CBT and hope that I will get to the stage where I can manage this anxiety by myself.

jharland
08-08-11, 21:46
Hello Frank,

I first had my first panic attack whilst driving about four years ago. I felt very tense and shaky and felt I needed to get off the motorway immediately. Since then, like you I have avoided motorways and dual carriageways whenever possible. A few weeks ago I attempted the dual carriage (I was feeling very brave at the time). Unfortunately I had to pull on to the hard shoulder - I was shaking uncontrollably and had to sit there until I had the nerve to rejoin the road and exit at the next turn off. I feel this is now getting worse. I am starting to feel nervous even on back roads. I feel it is now time to get some help. Yesterday I spoke to a GP whom I work with. I could'nt believe she had actually had the same fear. She said the only thing that worked for her was CBT. I was so relieved I was not the only person to suffer from this and have therefore booked a GP appointment for tomorrow. I am praying that CBT can help me. I am not a nervous person, have never taken anti-depressants and can't understand why I feel like this.

sleepy1
12-08-11, 22:24
Wow. I also have an issue with dual carriageway/motorway driving. Mine also happened due to having the mother of all panic attacks on the third lane of the motorway. I was having a bit of stress and feeling tight chested anyway and was on my way home, had called the NHS and they wanted me to get an ambulance before all of this happened (They would - they ask you if your chest feels heavy and then automatically think heart attack) well anyway, I tried to drive the 40 minutes home from work, and had a panic attack. Not the first time I've had one, but definitely the worst. All my other panic attacks were from confrontation so I knew what it was. This was different, harsher, terrible burning in my head.

I couldn't drive, I pulled over onto the hard shoulder as I actually thought I was having a heart attack, I called 999, asked for an ambulance and was crying my eyes out. I remember how scared I was, I kept saying to the woman, "where are they, please tell them to hurry up" I actually thought they wouldn't get to me in time. I tried to carry on driving after that (I'm a saleswoman, I drive all day!) and kept having panic attacks. Must have had 7 that weekend alone. Took the back roads everywhere, still not confident enough to handle it.

What I did find useful is having someone in the car with me. When my hubby is in the car I feel more relaxed.

I have been off ill for 5 weeks, and go back on monday. The driving still worries me so they have agreed to ease me in gently by letting me work in the office for a couple of weeks.

I used to love driving. So we are planning a camping trip for a few days and I am determined to feel that same excitement I used to feel when driving to this place on holiday. My feeling is if I can re-associate it with a positive experience, I will train my subconscious thoughts to feel that way too. It's just an idea that I'm going to test out.

I am also doing CBT but early days so not yet discussed the driving.

Anyone else tried this theory? Or similar? :)

sazz_1984
17-08-11, 18:30
Hi,

I can really relate to this.

I had my first panic attack driving home from work one day along the same dual carriageway I have been driving along for years with no problem. Had to keep driving until the next turn off which was quite far away. I managed to carry on driving after a 10 minute breather but only along the back roads. Everytime after that for about 10 months I would panic when I went to join a dual carriageway and would have to pull off at next slip road.

I managed to somehow build myself up gradually after 10 months to drive little bits on dual carriageways until I could then drive confidently again on them.

This went well for just over a year until Feb this year. I was driving back from chester when I started to feel sick. I was in the outside lane. I suddenly started to panic that there was nowhere for me to pull over quickly if i was ill. This bought on a full blown panic attack and i had to keep going till i could see a layby to pull in.

Now my panic attacks have come back to haunt me 10x worse than before. I now panic all the time on normal roads and traffic lights etc, but have to keep battling through it to get in to work.

I need to see someone about it really, but not sure if they would give me CBT on the NHS.

debs71
17-08-11, 19:33
Hi Frank,

I really sympathise with you.

My Dad has suffered anxiety and panic for as long as I can recall and way before I was born i fact, and one of his great fears is driving alone. This stems from two car crashes he was involved in. At the time he had them, therapy was not offered for post traumatic stress which we think he must have had, and he went on to experience panic attacks whilst driving alone, and since that time, he always has to have someone with him. The only time he can manage lone driving is for very short, familiar journeys, but we see this as a postive thing as the more he does it, the more mentally confident he becomes.

Just wanted to illustrate that you are not alone in this horrible, debilitating fear and panic where driving is concerned. The positive thing is - and be proud of yourself for this - is that you are facing your fears and undergoing CBT which is great.

I wish you all the best.:hugs:

Candyfloss*sky
24-08-11, 02:48
Just a really quick post, will probably post more when it's not late, but I stopped driving for about a year because of PA's when I was younger. I eventually plucked up courage to drive again, short journeys to start with and built up. I can now tell you that for the last few years I've been a taxi driver! I love driving and actually feel pretty safe when I'm driving now so it's possible for a complete reversal. Just refuse to give up, it can be done x

Liviguy
24-08-11, 14:30
Hi Frank.

This is something I have suffered from in the past too, although it did progress to the stage where I was panicking on any road I drove along. I used to take small B roads to work, which although took twice as long, it did not involve me having to stop at lights or in a jam. If I even saw a line of brake lights illuminated in the distance I started panicking and would turn back around.

There was a crash on the bypass near my work which resulted in grid lock at all exits. I drove round and round trying to find a quiet exit, I felt trapped. I actually cried at one point as I didn't know how I would get home. Eventually I sat in the car for 3 hours until the roads were clear again so I could make the journey home.

I was terrified that I was going to pass out at the wheel and crash. This made it so much worse.

3 years on, I am now back driving on all roads, motorways and can sit in traffic queues. I do still have the feeling of fear come over me, but I tell myself to stop and I can get it to pass fairly instantly.

I deliberately went out at night in the car and drove. When I started the panic I would shout out loud STOP and nip my leg. Sounds crazy but it actually worked after a while and the confidence came back.

grimwoodrac
28-11-11, 16:22
Hi

I have had simailar problems, I had a major panic attack last year whilst driving home in the dark. I couldnt get out of the middle of the road and was fighting to control the car, I felt that if I relaxed the car would tip of the edge. This then affected all my driving making me a very anxious driver making me reduce my speed significantly.
I went to my GP who referred me to a vestbular clinic who said I was having panic attacks whilst driving but that didnt explain why this was happening to me, before this I was a very confident driver, driving miles everyday.
My driving seemed to get better for a while and my confidence built until last week when I had a panic attack again whilst driving in the dark. Since then my driving has become progressively worse. Only recently I drove on an A road and couldnt get above 40 as the road veered to the right I felt I really struggle to control the car. I am now considering giving up driving which will mean I will lose my job and in this current climate this doesnt bode well, I really feel I have no choice.
Does CBT work? Has anybody been cured?

Thanks in anticipation