PDA

View Full Version : Vaginismus/smear test worries

kitty18
12-07-11, 17:38
Hi there, I posted a couple of months ago regarding sexual health tests and HIV concerns. I went for the STI tests with my partner. During the tests I could not have a speculum inserted for a swab, because I suffer from vaginismus. The nurses simply took a urine test, a blood test and a urethral swab, and they also checked my outer vaginal area. All the tests have come back fine for myself and my partner.

Unfortunately that isn't the end of the story... I'm 26 and I've been overdue a smear test for a year now, because of my vaginismus. My doctor is aware of this problem, and she has assured me she can make provisions to help me [I can have a chaperone, i.e. my partner if I like, they will use the smallest speculum] but I still can't bring myself to do it. Any attempts to use a speculum on me in the past have caused me a lot of pain and made it impossible for the test to be carried out.

I am able to have sex, but it is occasionally painful and I am usually very dry down there.

I would like to get the smear done, but I know it will be impossible because of the pain, no matter what my doctor does. My muscles will clamp up anyway, even if I try to relax.

This means I am very worried about developing cervical cancer and not knowing it. All I ever hear about is how important smears are, and I understand this but they're so hard for me to go through. I'm worried I've already left it too late, and that my first smear will come back showing abnormal cells. This is another reason I can't go through with it.

I booked a test for a couple months ago, and had to change it because I wasn't ready. The next time, I had to cancel because I was on my period, and I just couldn't make myself rebook it. I know I have to do it but I'm just so frightened, of the procedure and of the possible results. Knowing my luck, they won't get enough cells and I'll have to do it again. :/

I want to tell myself that my risk of cancer is low - I've only had one sexual partner and we've been active for four years, though he has had other partners before me.

I guess I am looking for reassurance on my level of risk and whether anyone with vaginismus has managed a successful smear test yet?

x

kirsty74
12-07-11, 20:23
I don't know how you feel about taking valium before the examination to relax you. My sister always freaks out at smears (she doesn't have what you have..sorry can't spell it!!) but she has to take someone with her and she really tenses up making it difficult to get the swab done. Doctor prescribes her valium to take just before.