PDA

View Full Version : Oh no - I went to A&E

wendy
29-04-06, 20:45
Well, just as I was "getting there" I had a mad episode [:I][:I][:I]I phoned an ambulane (twice!) so 2 arrived (felt awful to waste there time)
One of the dashed me to A&E (Me Sure I was going to die AGAIN), When I got there I was calming down because I was with a medical person, had all the usual tests done, ECG, Blood Pressure, Blood Test etc etc - As expected all was fine and got sent home - now totally ashamed! my family think im cracking up! and think im attention seeking but believe me this is attention I do not want!

My question - How do I stop myself doing this, At the time I am so convienced I need medical help then as soon as Im with them I start to be ok, feel so ashamed, I try breathing / relaxation nothing works, how can I stop these ridiulous episodes? Any advise please?

Thanks

Wendy

michelle-lee
29-04-06, 21:04
i have been to the a & e so many times due to the attacks and have found that they cant do anything to help me

m.snyman

ashley
29-04-06, 21:06
Arrr wendy darling , im so sorry that happened to you..it was a panic attack thats for sure, i too have felt that clsoe to ringing for an ambalance.. and many of us have..dont fel ashamed for this, as you felt that bad and frightened i see no wrong in this darling.[V]
Wendy you need do the breathing execises as soon as you get a panic attack it will calm it down...may be hard to do at the time but will help you, or quickley do something to occupy yourself, this feeling will calm and pass..face you fears as claire weeks said dont run from them.

Maybe you should go and buy this book wendy i have it and so many others on this site does too, its a self -help book..you can get it from amazon..its a top buy and helps so much with acceptance.

Mate you know im here for you, and never mind your family..mine think that way too .. and it makes me so upset to be honest.. as if we would feel this way for attention,, what a joke huh wendy.

Thinking of you, remember wendy this is just a minor setback.. try not to concentrate on what happened.. dont feed the fear.. minor setbacks are part of recovery.. you was doing so well, and i want you to continue to.

All my love ashley xxx [^]

jodie
29-04-06, 21:19
hi wendy

i am just the same when i have a realy bad time with eptopic heart beats i get if they get realy bad i get to a&eand in a mad panic thinking i am going to die when i get there i feel safe after a bit they do tests and with in a couple of hrs im home feeling silly and panicy .i sometimes feel like they have missed something and i am still ill
now when i can i wait for a bit and dont go to a and e just sit down remember what was sead the last time you went have 1 hr befor rushing to hospital and you may feel ok if not ring n h s direct talk to a nurse see if that would calm you down

jodie

Dave
29-04-06, 21:39
It's hard, I've been to A&E twice with a panic attack but I think on the one occasion I had a nasty virus too. It does make you feel quite silly but it also reassures your mind. It's difficult once you get into a negative state of mind, whatever people say it doesn't help. Every so often I get a panic attack but they're becoming more and more manageable now. I didn't find NHS Direct that much help, the nurse said she wasn't sure of the cause and told me to go to A&E to get checked although she did acknowledge that stress from work could be playing a part, which I think it was.

ItWillPass
30-04-06, 03:54
Wendy...

I have done the same exact thing. Its terrible. In a split second i will go from the terror of being sure I am about to die, to the embarassment of wishing I was dead. Its terrible. I also know what you mean about how people believe us to be attention seekers. My family refers to my panic attacks as "fits". "oh no, is she having another fit again?" Its terrible. It makes things so much harder for us. You just have to remember that you did nothing wrong... You are a wonderful person who is just going through a rough time. There is NOTHING to be ashamed of.

Heidi

jackie
30-04-06, 11:53
oh wendy i know how you feel i have done this many times and to be honest i have no answers for you because when the panic that something is badley wrong sets in there is nothing that can stop me. i simply try to keep it from those who are judgemental because thats the last thing you need. i just tell my hubby and he says just go jack, whatever it takes to get a bit of reassurance.

and i try not to be too harsh on myself, i know one day i hopefully wont need to do this but for now i just say i hope i dont have to go back but i wont punish myself if i do

your not alone wendy,

jackie

wendy
30-04-06, 12:03
Thanks for all your replies,
It is good to know its not just me who does this!

Take Care

Wendy xx

nell1965
30-04-06, 12:15
Wendy
will it make you feel any better to know that when you get to a&e that the people you meet there and that deal with you dont think your crazy and dont think that you are deliberately wasting their time,but they do feel it for you. The best thing to do when you start to have a panic attack is to go with it, when you go with it it sends the correct messages to all your systems and it stops it pretty quickly if you contine to fight it then your body thinks that the percieved danger is still there and continues to produce adrenaline and some hormones at a faster rate.
When you feel a panic attack coming on try andgo and either lie down or sit down close your eyes and tell yoursel im going to relax and whatever is going to happen to me will happen, i know you think im bonkers typing this but beleive me it works ita hard to do the first couple of times but it really works,please try it.

I just want my life back
nell
x

Two heads
30-04-06, 13:15
Ow wendy you poor soul!
Im sure most have done the AE thing,so dont beat yourself up about it sweet!Your not cracking up you just havet got this dreadful gremlin under control yet but you will have.xxxx

wendy
30-04-06, 19:24
Thanks Nell & Bong :D

Will give advise a try, thank you

shiv
30-04-06, 20:51
Hi Wendy, Ive been to a&e twice this month, although once was for a genuine complaint. And I've felt like a prize idiot every time I've done it! But we're not irresponsible time-wasters. I absolutely detest hospitals and i would only go if I felt something was really wrong and boy, can these panic attacks throw up some very real, scary sensations and symptoms.

Like you, the last time I was in because of a PA my symptoms had disappeared by the time I was examined. I'd had severe ectopics for an hour non-stop, then lo and behold they stopped the minute I went to reception. Just proves they're all down to anxiety!!

Shiv x

wendy
30-04-06, 21:05
Hi Shiv

Thank god you have done it too! Think it is just that Safe feeling with medical people around It feels safer "incase" anything happens but your right the fact the symptoms go away shows that it is anxiety as if was anything else the symptoms would persist

Thanks for you reply

Wendy x

alexis
30-04-06, 21:25
I ended up in casualty with an anxiety attack, took me months to realise this is all it was and not something serious, i was so convinced it was something else I almost comnvince the drs the same, hope things go ok now.xx

lin
01-05-06, 12:10
Hi Wendy

I did that too 3 times convinced myself there was something seriously wrong even though i was told it's only anxiety it didn't make any difference, i still phoned the ambulance i thought i was going out of my mind.

It was only after a few months i thought yes it is anxiety and now when i do get anxiety i know i dont need to phone for the ambulance. I was referred to a phyciatrist and it really helped me, i am much better now.

Try not to worry too much i'm sure you will be ok its just this nasty anxiety that takes over your mind.

take care
linda xx

wendy
01-05-06, 18:59
Thanks Alexis and Lin

Didnt think so many people would reply to say they done the same, what a relief!

Wendy x

GillT
02-05-06, 10:01
Yes me too. I didnt even realise it WAS a panic attack at the time. Just knew I felt terrible and thought Id die. Trouble is the doctors didnt seem to realise either and just sent me home saying they couldnt find anything wrong. Trouble is I still feel terrible and ill 2 months later. I just feel ill and like ive got flu or a bad hangover with headaches and tingly feelings. It never goes away and I dont know what to do. Does anyone else feel like this?

GillT
02-05-06, 10:06
I also ended up at A&E. I didnt even realise it was panic. just felt so terrible I thought I would die. Nor did the doctors - they just sent me home and I was in bed for 2 days feeling terrible, nauseaous and shaking. Trouble is I still feel dreadful, like I have a mixture of flu and a hangover with headaches and tingly feelings going through my body. Its day after day and never goes. Can anyone else identify with this. sometimes I can bear it and I really dont know why it wont go.

wendy
02-05-06, 13:52
Hi Gill

I can totally relate to how you are feeling, Have you had any counselling or talked over your feelings with you doc? Please dont worry these are definate Anxiety symptoms

Take Care

Wendy x

Greg1983
03-05-06, 14:25
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I also ended up at A&E. I didnt even realise it was panic. just felt so terrible I thought I would die. Nor did the doctors - they just sent me home and I was in bed for 2 days feeling terrible, nauseaous and shaking. Trouble is I still feel dreadful, like I have a mixture of flu and a hangover with headaches and tingly feelings going through my body. Its day after day and never goes. Can anyone else identify with this. sometimes I can bear it and I really dont know why it wont go.

<div align="right">Originally posted by GillT - 02 May 2006 : 11:06:14</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Allthough i never been to A&E with my symptoms, i have exactley the same ones as yourself, mine have gotten worse over the weekend, but thats maybe due to the fact that i'm back to work after 5 weeks off. I still worry about having a heart attack constantley, i have been taking citalopram for 4 weeks now and hope to get the full effects from them soon, i'm also seeing the psychiatirc nurse which is helping as well.

"UNLESS YOU HAVE BREATHED ANXIETY, TASTED ANXIETY AND LIVED WITH ANXIETY YOU DONT KNOW HOW IT FEELS..
NEVER JUDGE AN ANXIOUS PERSON BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW ONE DAY YOU MAY WAKE UP WITH IT YOURSELF..... (Stolen from someone else, can't remember who, but i'm sorry - i just liked it)"

wendy
03-05-06, 18:41
Hi Greg

Sorry your symptoms are feelin worse, yep it could be your body re-adjusting back into work, it is hard after been off for a while. Sounds like your taking all the right steps tho and hope you soon be feeling lots better

Wendy x

GillT
03-05-06, 18:45
Glad to know Im not alone. I think when you feel terrible you worry MORE and its a viscious circle. The gp has arranged for me to see a councillor. Wonder if it can really help. Feel a little better today (perhaps its finding this site!)Sure you will feel a bit better soon Greg.

trish1955
04-05-06, 07:47
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">i have been to the a & e so many times due to the attacks and have found that they cant do anything to help me

m.snyman

<div align="right">Originally posted by michelle-lee - 29 April 2006 : 22:04:21</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">i to no how you feel i feel better when with some one from the medical proffesion thought about getting a divorce and finding myself a doctor to marry so i can feel safe evry day lol trish

theresa21
05-05-06, 18:39
Hi wendy i know exactly how you feel as i have done the same.i even thought not to trust doctors as i truly believed that i have something wrong with me.I am not so bad now but it took several doctor trips to realise that and i still get symptoms but try not to make a big deal of them anymore its a horrible thing to be burdened with but isnt it nice to see that we aint the only ppl that get it and we are not alone.

wendy
06-05-06, 13:02
Well thanks all, Cant believe the response I have got and the good advice with regards to this! Next time (hopefully never!) I will remember all of your words and hopefully come through it better without a midnight dash

Take Care

Love

Wendy x