PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram side effects?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

samurayX
02-11-10, 22:42
Hi everyone,

I'm from Mexico but Im stuyding a PhD in UK. I'm about to start my third year. The problems started when I awoke some weeks ago with the sense that I was not breathing enough air, I got a panic attac and from there I have had other two and I find myself trying to controll my breathing all the time, so I can't sleep I'm anxius, with nauseas and very, very low mood. My GP suggested Citopram 20mg and I'm scared just to think that If I take it, at least for some weeks I could fall even deeper. And in the top of it, Citopram has lactose and Im lacto intolerant, but the GP told me to give it a try. I still do not know what to do.

What to do when you awake at 2am anxius and trying to controll your fears?

needs to change56
03-11-10, 09:28
hi there i have had bad anxiety and depression for about 10 years now ( started when i was 21) had some sought of breack down but got over it with out meds instead had a glass of wine every time i had one witch badly took it away !! so have been drinking alot more than usual ever since .... how ever 5 weeks ago my stepdad who was like my best friend suddenly died at 53 he was a heavy drinker ,, and my anxiety is back with a vengance doctor told me it is again some sort of breack down i have two children 12 , 6 and have been so bad i decided to give cit a go .. i started on 20 mg also 5mg diaz to sleep after 5 days did not need the diaz but the cit was makeing me so sleepy nearly missed picking the kids up !!!!! so i decided to half the dose 10 mg and fealt great !!!! after 10 days no side affects or nothing so stupidly decided to go out with friends and got very drunk arghhhhhh ,,, have now had worst side affects ever horrible thoughts cant sleep back on diaz thinking im going mad and never gonna get better went back to doctor who told me not to worry ive had a relapse and i should persist with tablets its 3 weeks 2 days now the last two night i have not needed diax ( thank god ) had a good day yesterday but anxious and crap today !!!! just dont understand this !! my partner is no help dose not understand and to be honest has proberly helped me beinh like this just wanted to no if any one felt good at first then had a relapse like me ?? should i carry on or throw the towel inim going out of my mind here help xxxxxxx

needs to change56
03-11-10, 11:23
:scared15:

heavenly
03-11-10, 11:34
Day 6 for me on 20mg Citalopram. Heightened anxiety (but that could just be me worrying about the new meds!), drowsiness and couldn't sleep Monday night. Managed to sleep last night though. I will stick with it, but its hard when you suffer from anxiety, as you worry about every single thing! Cannot wait til the Citalopram starts to work, I want to feel a bit more human again.

SPRINGER SPANIEL
03-11-10, 15:02
I have been on these tablets for 16 months for PMS and have had enough, i started on 20mg then was increased to 30mg. I felt no real difference on the 20mg with the exception of sleeping more....30mg forget i couldnot function at work......over time i feel like my head is a complete mush, i lack concentration and forget the simplest of tasks......i am now not taking them and am going cold turkey...have been now for 2 weeks.......i have had some real downer moments but keep telling myself to pull myself together and get on with it.....i am also getting some peculiar tingling in my finger tips and my tongue....but am going to keep it going as i feel that despite this i have a new lease of life.....i am sure the doctor will be horrified i have come off them when i get round telling him but i am sick of simply being given another prescription and told to go on my way..........:)

allen
10-11-10, 16:31
Hi- I've just joined this forum and have already found it very useful. I'd thought I was the only one experiencing these symptoms!

I've only been taking the pills for a week so some way to go yet. One question: how long might the effect on my sex drive last? Hope it's not for the duration for my partner's sake. And mine of course!

Thanks.

cottage witch
12-11-10, 12:01
Hi, Im just back from my doc who is fab. He has prescribed Citalopram for me today for the second time and has warned me about these side effects in the early days. He told me to take 10 mgs instead of the prescribed 20 mgs for a week or so and assured me the effects will settle and I will feel a lot better. I have rheumatoid arthritis too and am in a loop of pain and depression, one feeding the other. I trust my doc implicitly and am going to give it a shot.

mandiefarr
14-11-10, 08:32
Hi There, I have been taking 10mg of Citalopram for 7 weeks now and found them to be great after the first two weeks. However in the last 12 days i have been suffering from what i think is a slight allergic reaction. All i can explain it as is similar to prickly heat where i get a sudden stabbing itch like u get when u have had your hair cut and it gets in your clothes. This is followed by goose pimples in the area and in my legs. Sorry if this does not explain it very well but i was wondering if anyone had experienced a similar thing. Thanks xx

michelle123
19-11-10, 11:53
Hi everyone :D
I have just joined this site 5 minutes ago, I have suffered with severe anxiety for years (I'm 31) I have a great partner and a wonderfull little girl, we're happy and content, so I have never understood why I suffer with Anxiety, I have been through a lot of stress and trauma in my past so wonder wheter thie is the after -effects?
Anyhow I have been on citalopram before 20mg, yes it is true that for the 1st few days you feel panicky, shaky, scared, sick, anxious ......all of these symptoms sound alarming to someone more so with anxiety already, but trust me, it does ease within a week. I woke every night with my pyjama top soaking in sweat, I also had very vivid dreams, but after 1 -2 weeks this all settles down. I was on the tablets for around 12 motnhs, there not wonder pills that make you 'happy', they simply make you feel normal again, more able to cope. I chose to come off them myself as i felt i no longer needed them, the doctors suggest coming off them gradually and in the summer time, as winter is a time when the blues set in for people anyway.
Unfortunately 3 years down the line I have been suffering anxiety like I have never known before, it really really scared me 6 weeks ago, I couldn'r control the shaking and had a masive panic attack. I'm back on citalopram but have forgotten wheter they made me tired 1st time around? This time i've been on the 6 weeks and I'm completely shattered constantly, :unsure: can anyone tell me if this eases off??

heavenly
19-11-10, 17:05
I'm back on citalopram but have forgotten wheter they made me tired 1st time around? This time i've been on the 6 weeks and I'm completely shattered constantly, :unsure: can anyone tell me if this eases off??

I am on day 21 of 20m Citalopram. The couple of weeks I felt incredibly tired but that has eased off. What time do you take them? I take mine mid-day, I was taking them first thing before but they made me tired at work. Its better now I take them mid-day.

michelle123
19-11-10, 17:20
I am on day 21 of 20m Citalopram. The couple of weeks I felt incredibly tired but that has eased off. What time do you take them? I take mine mid-day, I was taking them first thing before but they made me tired at work. Its better now I take them mid-day.
Hi, thanks thats a good idea, I'm taking them at 8am at the moment, but by 11am I just want to sleep. I'll try taking them at lunch time, thanks for that :)

michelle123
19-11-10, 17:25
Hey there,

I am on Citalopram for the second time. The first time I started on 10mg going up to 20mg after a few months. I did have side effects, mainly extreme tiredness and feeling a bit sick, but nothing I couldn't deal with. The meds really helped and after a year and a bit I came off them.

My doctor has now suggested I give them another try for panic and low mood and I agree I need to. This time she started me on 20mg telling me that they don't often start people on 10mg anymore. Am okay with that, but the side effects have been much much worse this time. I am only on day 2 and I feel like I have the worst hangover. My head hurts, I feel sick, spaced out, panicky and worst of all I couldn't sleep at all last night which is very very unlike me. I am going to perseve because I know it will pass and it will be worth it, but my main concern is how long the not sleeping is likely to last. I know others out there will have been in the same position and was wondering how long the non-sleeping lasted for them.

:)
Hi hun. I too am on citalopram 2nd time around, 20mg. I'm on week 6 now, the 1st 2 days were awfull, I was very scared, sweating, shaking, twitching and couldn't sleep, I persevered but now I can't stay awake, 2 hours after taking them I just want to sleep all day. I'm hoping this passes soon enough :)

suzy-sue
19-11-10, 19:08
Its ok for Drs to say they dont perscribe 10mg anymore ,They dont have to go through the horrendous side effects ..:mad:If you feel too bad cut down to 10mg until they stabilise ,then up to 20mg .It doesnt matter you will get to the same point eventually ..but you wont have to feel so awful doing it .Ridiculous Dr .:lac: All the Best take care Sue x

cazzaxXx
20-11-10, 12:07
hi i have been on 20 mg for 4 days the side effects are bad at first but im slowing getting better and the side effects are slowly going away and everyone is ryt about eating well because they do make u feel as though am never hungery . i toke them last month and only managed 2 days and had to stop because off the side effects but this time round i just keep thinking that im going to get better in the end :D hope this helps good luck x

heavenly
21-11-10, 15:37
Hi, thanks thats a good idea, I'm taking them at 8am at the moment, but by 11am I just want to sleep. I'll try taking them at lunch time, thanks for that :)

Be interested to know how you get on taking them at that time. :)

Octavian
22-11-10, 02:24
I was on 20 gram for 4 months from day 1, wasn't really bothered by the side effects.

I also came off them around 2 weeks ago, cold turkey, again hardly noticed withdrawl symtoms, bar slight tingling.

I think the secret is too have a fixed diet and exercise programme, I have been going the gym 3-4 times a week, and eating 4 meals a day to gain weight.

So even when I didn't feel like working out or eating I pushed myself, and I think this really helped minimise the negative effects.

If you just sit their brooding on the negatives then you will become ill imo.

Their is no better boost than finishing a session at the gym or finishing a jog outside, even if its only a 10 minute jog, it helps.

sarab
22-11-10, 13:24
hi ive been on fluoxetine 20mg 40 mg alternative daily dose for 4 months they seem to work after about 6 weeks and i felt fine for a few weeks then started having anxiety attacks again..my doctor has changed me to 20mgs of citalopram to start next week after lowering prozac to 20 mgs daily for 7 days...
i am really worried that because im reducing my prozac and changing meds that the anxiety is going to come back with a vengance..has anyone swapped meds or took citalopram and had horrible side effects?im just really wanting to know what to expect...
doctor prescribed prozac 4 months ago as i kept getting horrible bouts of anxiety that were awful he said that it was depression which is causing the anxiety...i dont really feel depressed?the anxiety makes me feel depressed if anything...i am also waiting on counselling
Ive never took anything like this before and have never had this anxiety....any help from anyone will be so much appreciated....i have a boyfriend but he doesn't understand sometimes i think he think im just going a bit crazy!..it can be quite lonely sometimes...xxxx

Bubo
23-11-10, 08:22
I have taken Citalopram in the past and it made me feel very ill initially, sick and generally unwell for 2 weeks as it built up in my system, I gradually increased to the maximum dose but it did not have any benefit so I had to slowly withdraw from it. The side effects can be terrible and can come on within a few hours as well. I hope it starts to work for you and stops making you feel so ill.

amy3636
23-11-10, 22:51
ive been on citalopram before after my mum died, im 22

however i suffered a blip, and im back on them, been on them four weeks now, as i felt extremely low and suicidial, the tablets initially made me worse and i wanted to kill myself and didnt sleep for 2 weeks as i had constant suicidial thoughts.
i have been on the tablets for 4 weeks now, and havng counselling at uni, and feel a lo better, im still finding it hard to sleep, the suicidal thoughts have pretty much gone now. just struggling to sleep

however the last two days my chest has been really tight, which im a bit worried about.

thanks
x

sarab
24-11-10, 11:43
Hi im due to take my first citalopram on sat after finishing fluoxetine im a bit nervous to take them as i did feel horrible side effects when first taking the fluoxetine...im happyto hear your feeling better now im waiting for counselling and hoping its going to help...xxx

chrissy16
27-11-10, 12:27
Please, please, please, do not read about the side effects, as you know as well as I do that by reading or thinking about them you may get them. Being an anxious person as well does not help. I found a great site that is so helpful. I have read so many "positive" posts there and this has given me the confidence to start taking my 10mg citalopram. Please read them.

http://www.druglib.com/ratingsreviews/celexa/

Chris x

amy 1982
07-12-10, 14:57
:weep:ive been on cialopram for 8 weeks now started on 10mg after 3 weeks went up to 20mg but last week came back down to 10mg still feeling ill all the time having a lot of aches and pains,headaches,spaced out,lump in throat doctor keeps telling me its all anxiety related,has anyone else felt like this after being on these for this long?????

Gemzy
07-12-10, 17:23
i was on citalopram about 5 years ago and they suited me quite well until i found out i was pregnant and went against the advice of my doctor, i just stopped taking them just like that because i was scared they would harm the baby so please when its your time to come off them let your doctor wean you off them as i have been left with a tremble in my hands (5 years on i still have it) :weep:

swannee
10-12-10, 16:40
Lost my job in the summer - no work since and to add to the pain my partner who I'd always considered my soul mate, left the relationship in November saying it was over. Completely devastated.

Doctor prescribed citalopram 20mg a week ago. Appetite gone completely - ok if you want to lose weight - lost 6 lbs in 8 days. Mind spaced out all over the place, headaches, seem to go to sleep ok but wake up about 4 in the morning with the bed wet with sweat. Figiting, tossing and turning with a burning sensation from my neck to my spine, vivid thoughts and images racing through my brain unable to switch off. Horrible. Hope it gets better soon.

suzy-sue
10-12-10, 18:52
Sounds pretty normal hun .Sorry about your relationship .Heres to a new start for you .Hang in it will get better ..Appetite will be reversed and you will put the weight back on .Hope you feel better soon ..sue x:hugs:

Calm Brereze
13-01-11, 10:11
Hi im due to take my first citalopram on sat after finishing fluoxetine im a bit nervous to take them as i did feel horrible side effects when first taking the fluoxetine...im happyto hear your feeling better now im waiting for counselling and hoping its going to help...xxx

My Doctor took me off Fluoxetine yesterday after 10 weeks on them, as I was haveing constant headaches and he thought the Fluoxetine might be causing them. He started me right away on Citalopram and so far I have had no bad effects from them.

tash1969
11-02-11, 17:16
hi decca can i ask how you felt before you took the pills my boyfriend has changed so much love him, he hates himself so much and i dont know what to do to help him he cant even look at me he says he feels too guilty cos he has hurt me? thanks tash

carolea
11-02-11, 17:24
Im on day 21 and I have noticed Im a bit more depressed in the mornings now. Is this a side effect ? I was on 10mg for 14 days and 7 days at 20mg.

tash1969
11-02-11, 17:41
someone please advise me.. my boyfriend has just been diagnosed with moderate to severe depression and given citalopram not on first 2 visits either (useless dr) i told him he had to get pills or i would stop him seeing kids (i wouldnt but it's all i had left). i knew he would go on them we have been together nearly 9 yrs we had a very prem baby 4 months early and she has been a constant source of stress and i think when someone shone a small torch at the end of our very long dark tunnel he just collapsed. he absolutely hates himself he cant look me in the eye he says it's the guilt of upsetting me and making me cry, he was the most loving tactile romantic person i knew now he cant even look at me i cry all the time.
he says even if he gets better he cant come back incase it happens again the thought he could hurt me makes him hate himself more i need some advice PLEASE im lost and dont know what to do thankyou x

victoria_s
21-02-11, 14:38
I can't get over this comedy yawning. I can't keep my mouth shut at all, but it is making me laugh...yes laugh, so the tablets must be doing something right!

oh no im going to start these tonight, i yawn all the time anyway, il end up looking like a blow up doll permanantly off these!:roflmao:

leeds69
23-02-11, 19:39
hi i'm new to this i started citalopram 10mg 15 days ago my doctor said it takes a couple of weeks for the tablet to work.over the 15 days i've had the shakes,lite heads,teeth griding,headaches,sweats,panic attacks,and everytime i eat run to toilet (diarrhea) everyday.please any help would be great thanks

suzy-sue
23-02-11, 20:31
Hi you seem to have a lot of side effects :hugs:,They will go .But it can take longer than 2weeks .It takes 4-6 weeeks for each dose to settle ,Until then.Perhaps you could read the Citalopram guide at the top of the citalopram page .It will help you understand you are not alone and will give you some encouragement .Im sure you will feel better soon .t/c Sue x

slowfish
28-02-11, 09:17
Hi. I've just finished week one of 20mg of citalopram having switched over from mirtazapine. I am really struggling to sleep at night - feel quite tired when I go to bed but then just toss and turn, sweating a lot and mind racing all the time. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to get a good nights sleep? Many thanks.

oldtime
28-02-11, 09:59
For cit induced insomnia you could try inositol at night + some magnesium washed down with a cup of warm milk.

Inositol powder Amazon link (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swanson-100%25-Pure-Inositol-Powder/dp/B002FUOG44/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1298886718&sr=8-4)

Magnesium needs to be one that is easily absorbed: holland and barret link (http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=450&prodid=509) if you get the cheaper magnasium oxide it will not do much.

This combination seems to work for me to overcome the insomnia side effect of cit.

slowfish
28-02-11, 11:23
thanks mohc, really helpful - I'll definitely try both. How long should this insomnia side effect last - just the first couple of weeks?

miles
28-02-11, 13:01
oh no im going to start these tonight, i yawn all the time anyway, il end up looking like a blow up doll permanantly off these!:roflmao:

You'll be ok as long as you don't keep both arms straight in front of you and splay your legs...... then again, people might think you're one of the more expensive chinese 'talking' models!

oldtime
28-02-11, 15:15
thanks mohc, really helpful - I'll definitely try both. How long should this insomnia side effect last - just the first couple of weeks?

I think you have the added complication of withdrawal from Mirtazapine as it is sedating. Probably best to talk to your doctor if the insomnia persists.

slowfish
28-02-11, 15:56
I think you might be right mohc - I've looked up mirtazapine withdrawal and insomnia and lack of appetite are very common, so I guess it could be the withdrawal rather than the side effects of citalopram.

lostpixie
01-03-11, 19:47
Hi everyone,
Am new to here, and to citalopram. Started on 20mgs a couple of days ago cos been feeling feeling increasingly bad for a while now. I feel so strange. My eyes are really aching and I keep getting sort of fleeting sharp pains in my head. But most strange is that I feel like I'm completely stoned or something. I keep going through stages of just staring into nothingness, and my pupils are huge! And all my senses are really strong, like I forced myself to eat some toast earlier and I just couldn't get over how odd it felt on my tongue. And the new air freshener I bought a few weeks ago that I was going to chuck because it is so useless is suddenly overpowering me. Ok, I probably sound mad now! But really need some reassurance that this is ok and normal? Don't like feeling so weird and detached from the world. Getting myself all angsty and so trying to stop it and be rational... x

Katie-Lou
02-03-11, 17:20
Hi, Im new.
Just been put on 10mg yesterday, took my first one last night. Slept really heavily, found it really difficult to wake up, my legs feel heavy and crampy and my mouth has been really dry. General feeling of being spaced out. Reversed into my open gate earlier and realised my depth perception has gone. Has anyone else had problems with driving? Also my lips feel slightly swollen? I don't think this is an allergic reaction, they're just sore
Thanks
Katie

littleelse
03-03-11, 19:43
I started taking 20mg again 4 days ago after 4 years without them. Glandular fever triggered my panic disorder originally and I was prescribed citalopram. As an emetophobe I was terrified that there would be any sickness and refused to take them for 3 months resulting in me going from an active, working, ordinary person to somebody that panicked if somebody had me so much as 'trapped' in a phone call! I developed multiple OCDs and agorophobia.

A friend stepped in and physically put the first tablet in my mouth and told me to swallow. I did have some nausea but to gain control I set up a cosy camp bed on the bathroom floor which helped to reduce the panic. Sounds crazy but it helped. I had some changes in my sleeping patterns and a big drop in my libido. I also had the 'just got off a boat' feeling for days but, feeling brave on day 7, I thought I'd give starting my car and driving to the end of the road a go; I couldn't judge the door to get it out of the garage much to my amusement - that's when I knew they were working!

Within 4 weeks I was back in my beloved favourite supermarket (right at the back where I couldn't see the door or toilets too!) and back to work within 3 months. I stopped taking the tablets after 6 months and apart from the odd attack, usually triggered by being trapped in a meeting / queue / traffic jam, they worked really well and allowed me to reprogramme my brain to normal life.

A recent gallbladder infection has started the panic attacks again but I've gone straight back to the tablets this week as any amount of side effects are better than constantly planning your life around panic. So far so good! To all those that are just starting to get side effects, give them a fair chance to settle in, work on an 'I'll give it one more day' basis and, if they are the right meds for you, you'll be so proud of yourself.

Oh, they might make you rattle on a bit too hehe :)
Take care x

Hampshire
12-03-11, 13:09
I started Citalopram again on Wednesday and the sick feeling is unreal, its horrible, others that suffered with this how long did it last? Its hard to keep taking them when I know I am going to feel sick for the day! :(

Seannny1
14-04-11, 11:26
Hi,
I took my first citalopram last night and also felt sick, dizzy etc. But I have been on them before and remember this feeling and the fact that it does go away. And what you need to remember is that the doctor has prescribed you this medicine because in their professional opinion it is the best solution for you. So the best thing to do is keep smiling, the tablets will help you and the unpleasantness will go away. I know it's hard but try not to think about it and remember there is light at the end of the tunnel.

funkymonkey
14-04-11, 11:44
Hi all,

As I had used cit before at 20mg starting dose and felt really sickly, I have recently started them again at 10mg initially which has been much more tolerable. However, I have still felt nauseaous regularly and am into week 5 (I think!) but it is much improved overall. Stick with it, take steps to make sure that you are well supported etc in case of sickness or bad side effects, ie take time off work, drink plenty of water etc etc.

As other posters have pointed out - it will definately be worth it in the end so please try and ride out the tough start. I too can vouch for the positive effect previous citalopram use has had on my life, hence why I am comfortable trying them again x

lucylock
22-04-11, 21:39
Hi
Hope i'm not repeating anybody elses post but I couldnt find an answer to my question. My doctor has prescribed me Citalopran (20mg) and I took one the other night and about an hour later I started to feel sick, dizzy, spaced out and shakey, it was nothing like a panic attack iv ever had and I was just wondering if it was a panic attack because I was expecting to get side effects or whether they were genuine side effects? Im too scared to take anymore incase it happens again.
Thanks for any advice
Suzy xx
hey suzy i was the same as you wen i starting taking them but it does get better im taking them three years now and im doin great...:yesyes:

suzy-sue
23-04-11, 11:59
Lucy the post you replied to is 5 years old ..Welcome to NMP :welcome:Sue x

oldtime
28-04-11, 14:01
I'm getting tingling nerves in my neck back arms and legs especially on the left hand side.

leah_aka_global_leah
07-05-11, 00:19
After being prescribed for citalopram at 10mg to start with 7wks ago, I suffered the worst panic attack ever after a week, I could not cope with ANYBODY at all that came to the house, even though they were visiting nearly every day, I would hide in my bed until around 8pm, when I knew it was "safe" to come downstairs. My sleeping pattern went out of the window, and every day thing just got me down. I went back to see my GP 2 weeks later, and told him the situation, AFTER missing the appointment because I was too scared with people in the surgery, he upped my tablets to 20mg.

I went back to work, tried to get myself on the right track, but even now, I still get anxious once in a while, maybe I should go back and ask to get them up again, but I don't want to depend on them for the rest of my life

I guess apart from the panic attacks, and the odd anxiety feeling, I've been lucky, the tablets sort of agreed with me and I'd never felt sick, although I did feel spaced out for a few days, my sleeping pattern aren't fantastic still, but at least when I do go to bed now, I will fall asleep within 10minutes rather than still tossing and turning for the next hour.

debbie77
25-05-11, 23:30
thanks for this i am going to carry on taking my mits tonite (2nd time) after reading this youve made me feel so much better .you have got to try i was feeling a bit frightened and was not going to carry on taking them untill i red this i will let you know how i get on :)
Hi

I am on 10mg Citalopram and it's my 12th day on it.. yes i felt crap for a few days but its passed now.. I am getting spasms but its setteling now.

All mediacation takes a while to settle.. having side affects fo a week or more is nothing compared to living with severe anxiety for years!! I have had severe anxiety and agoarphobia since the age of 13, and never been on medication properly before, you hea good and bad storys about all medication its diffrent for everyone.. but if we dont try it we wont know if its going to work, and if you do get bad side effects from some medication just try and relax and chill as they normally pass in a week or so!! If we keep reading all the side effects on the packets and googling them all time it's just going to add anxiety and even more symptoms!! plus I really think if there is any posts about people wanting help about side effect etc.. I think if you can relate well just say that!! but I dont think listing all how you felt really helps the person who needs advice in the first place as its just going to make them feel alot wose.. like I said
is diffrent for everyone so if one person gets some side effects doesent mean you will be the same!!!

The more positive you are about anything in life helps you through the bad

Kate xx

please note!! remember that anyone who posts are trying to get people to try and reduce there anxiety about taking the medication.. so help as much as possible please xx

debbie77
25-05-11, 23:33
thanks kate :) im on my 2nd night of my tablets and after reading on here wasnt going to take them again after i have read all the side effects from people to be honest i was frightened but you have made me feel like crryong on thnks again i will let you know how i get on

cheerydearie
26-05-11, 23:50
Debbie77 - I've been taking 10mg for a week now and I was REALLY worried about taking the meds as I have a history of allergy/bad reactions to medication - his actually put me off seeking help at the docs for quite a long time, until I knew I couldn't go on the way I was any more! So I understand how apprehensive you are.

I have to say that since I was prepared for all sorts of horrible side effects I've actually been pleasantly surprised by Citalopram. Should add that I am suffering from both depression & anxiety. Yes, I'm getting early-days side-effects, but my doc warned me that this is the norm & that they ease off after the first week or 2, so I have to keep taking the tablets through it - that also helped. Yes, I've been feeling a bit queasy on & off, and the first night I didn't sleep at all. BUT, within a few hours of taking the first tablet I also felt a huge sense of calm coming over me - it was actually like a slap in the face as I had been so anxious for so long that feeling constantly stressed, worried & upset has been the norm for me for a very long time and I didn't even realise any more how wound-up I was, until suddenly I didn't feel like that any more! Crazy, huh? I'm still getting side-effects, but I honestly feel like a different person to the one who was sitting in my house this time last week (the day before I went to see my doc).

I know the side-effects aren't great, but I'm willing to give it a shot to feel "normal" again, and if the early days are anything to go by I'm really hopeful of getting back to my old self. Please do stick with the tablets for a while to work through the initial effects that it seems everyone gets - hopefully they'll be worth it in the long run!

Good luck :D xxxxxxx

p.s. edited to say of course I'm not miraculously cured after a week LOL - but I have honestly noticed a marked and surprisingly immediate reduction in anxiety despite the initial side-effects. I'm not sure this is a normal experience - or maybe it's just a variation of the "spaced-out" effect that others get. However, over the weekend I had to deal with some stressful stuff that would generally have sent me cursing & swearing, or more likely turned me into a shaking, crying heap of uselessness, and instead I took it in my stride and didn't lose the plot once. I have no explanation other than the tablets, plus my husband has noticed a change in me already, as has my young son (mummy not so shouty!)! Maybe I'm just extremely lucky to have found something that works so well for me (fingers crossed this keeps up!!!) but maybe it also proves that there's a right medication & a right dose out there for everyone :D xxx

Catya
27-05-11, 12:33
Please?
Let me know how you are doing on these. I have been on 10mg since Sunday, so 6 days, and feel terrible.
I cannot sleep at night and feel sick and spaced out. When will there be some improvement?
I hate this. This insomnia is awful.

VickiS
27-05-11, 20:18
Hi
I'm new to the forum and have read through this thread, I was prescribed citalopram 2 weeks ago and haven't worked ip the courage to start taking it yet. I've been incapacitated by anxiety and panic attacks for years now and I've got to the point where I'm willing to try anything ( I've tried various anti despressants and sedatives) I just want my life back

The side effects sound pretty scary but would be worth it in the long run if these pills work. I think I've worked up the courage to start them tomorrow so I'll keep you posted on how I get on

Vicki

VickiS
28-05-11, 10:34
Just took my first tablet this morning (10mg) I've managed to get myself really worked up over how it will affect me ( stupid me huh) at least Ive finally done it :) will keep you all posted on how I get on

Catya
28-05-11, 10:41
Hi vicki. Yes, let us know how you're doing. I'm continuing with the 10mg and take it in the morning now. When do other people take it?
Still feel a bit spaced out but recognise that I've got to do something to help myself so hence the medication. Good luck.

dandanni2010
28-05-11, 12:14
Hi

you have to keep taking them the worse thing you can do is stop and start. unfortunately you will probably have side effects for 2 weeks and then they settle down I have just come off 40mg dose in 4 weeks and I am getting side effects from not being on them as much as it is tempting to go back on them i have to be strong and you need to do the same. Obviously if you have major side effects call your doctor, but feeling sick, dizziness and 'not with it' feelings are all very common. good luck

Catya
28-05-11, 13:43
Thank you. It's good to share.

VickiS
29-05-11, 08:56
Well day 1 was a bit wierd, within a couple of hours of taking it I was feeling sick,shaky,spaced out, I had a really horrible sore head and sore legs anyone els get this? Overall it wasn't nice but I could cope until I tried to sleep .....the headache got worse (what painkillers are safe with citalopram and do they even help if it's a SE?) my heart started racing and the panic was awful I did eventually manage to get a few hours sleep :)

Just about to take my 2nd tablet and see what day 2 brings, I woke up really shaky and out of sorts this morning is that normal?

chrissy16
29-05-11, 14:58
Hi,

Day 10 of 10mg citalopram for me. Started with half of a tablet 5mg and then gradually with 10mg tablet. I had a bit of a headache for the first few days but nothing else. A wee bit more tense I suppose, but I was OK. I was putting off taking these for a long time but made myself do it. I have no adverse side effects to date, but it is a bit hard to sleep, that's all. I have read somewhere that it kicks in around 2/3 weeks. I have a way to go yet, but I am glad that I made the effort to actually take them. Will update you as and when.

Chris.

Catya
29-05-11, 15:01
Hmmm. Well yes I had taken 10mg yesterday morning and yet again couldn't sleep so eventually took another 10mg at three this morning. I've been on 10mg for a week now and my dr does want me on a higher dose so have decided to go for it. Feel very sick and spaced out again but wil persevere.
Good luck all!

chrissy16
29-05-11, 15:37
Hi Catya

Try and take your dose at the same time each day, and with food as it does help and do not deviate from that time. The spacey out feeling is probably worse because you are panicking about it, as we do! I am glad that I started taking 10mg, and I know that I will feel better soon, although I do have my moments!!

Chris

Tero
30-05-11, 02:24
Beyond the initial effects, long forgotten, now at month four gone, I think, I do notice more tiredness than I used to have. An 8 hour day and drive home pretty much covers the day. I tend not to be able to watch long movies and stay alert. On weekend a nap is not unusual.

No sleep problems at night. I just sit at the computer and read some mesages like this and then go to bed.

VickiS
30-05-11, 08:41
Yesterday wasn't do great got me, my anxiety was really bad and I was so shaky and dizzy o stayed in bed most of the day, on the plus side I did manage to get a few hours sleep :) day 3 today I hope it's better

VickiS
31-05-11, 11:21
Day 3 was still pretty bad for me :( although I had a wee energy boost last night and got some housework done lol, I actually managed to sleep not too bad last night, was back at the docs today and she's prescribed propranolol to help, I don't really want to be taking anything else though, anyone else take these as well? Well I'll let you know how day 4 goes for me :)

Se669
31-05-11, 16:29
Day one on 20mg, very thankful of this site as feeling very peculiar- but sounds like it is normal on this!!!!

Thanks to all who have taken the time to write their experiences- has been a great help!!

VickiS
01-06-11, 09:42
Day 4 was the worst I've felt so far, my anxiety was so bad I almost decided to stop taking the citalopram but after reading back through some of the posts on here I see most people felt that way and by day 5 things started to improve, I really must say thanks to everyone who had posted about their experience it's helping me get through each day.

So onto day 5 for me, I really hope it's not as bad as yesterday

chrissy16
01-06-11, 09:48
Hi

Yes, you will get better as the days go on. I am on day 12 now and even though I feel anxious, tense some days, on the whole things are getting better. I started on 5mgs and then on to 10mg which I feel helped with the side effects. My doctor said that it takes a month to feel anything substantial, so I am looking forward to then.

VickiS
01-06-11, 10:33
Hi Chrissy

Thanks for the support it means a lot, my husband and kids don't understand what I'm going through just now and it helps to speak to other people who are going through it along with me, I'm glad your getting there :)

chrissy16
02-06-11, 15:47
Hi

Another day on citalopram 10mg and it is going well. Feel very "up" today and happy. I too have energy. Will update further.

VickiS
02-06-11, 18:09
That's great I'm glad to hear you're doing well :) day 5 was probably the worst I've felt so far, it is day 6 for me today and it hasn't been as bad as the previous days, I've been keeping myself busy with my sons 360 games lol (I can't seem to concentrate on tv, my mind wanders) I'm not counting my chickens yet but hopefully the worst of the SEs are settling down a bit now :)

chrissy16
03-06-11, 15:01
Hi,

14th day of citalopram today and doing fine. Feel very good and full of energy. I think this suits me very well. It really makes a difference for me. If anyone doubts it, just keep going, it will work for you.

VickiS
03-06-11, 21:07
Day 7 for me and it's actually been the best day I've had since I started cit, it was by no means a good day just better than the awful ones recently lol, hopefully things are ok over the weekend then back to see the doc next week

sun-shine
03-06-11, 21:09
its been 8days today since i started taking citalopram 10mg (per day) at first they seemed to exaggerate my anxiety, making everything hightened? but after 3 days that died down.

every day is different for me, and i constantly asses what state im in a daily basis. as of yet i have not seen nor felt any difference to my anxiety, although im open minded and am hoping for improvement soon.

i have not had a single day in weeks where i'v woke up and my anxiety wasn't there? it always lingers like a bad smell! but i have heard some positive things about this medication and im hoping for some release from this anxiety-web soon...

fingers crossed for all us citalopram peeps! :unsure:

jackanory84
03-06-11, 21:22
Hey guys

I'm new to the forum but so glad it's here so I can talk to other people about this.

I am on 20mg of Citalopram...I've been on it for a week now. I was originally taking it in the morning, but decided better of it as I was just so tired after taking it.

This is day 7 and I am experiencing some palpitations tonight. I have suffered from them before so I know what they feel like but I was just wondering if anyone else suffered from them or had had them before due to their anxiety?

Thanks

Lynsey

VickiS
04-06-11, 10:12
Hi Lynsey

I get palpitations all the time with my anxiety/panic attacks I think most of us do and citalopram seems to make them worse for the first while, I'm on day 8 of 10mg although I'm sure a few others started on 20mg, hang in there we are all going through the same thing

Vicki

sun-shine
04-06-11, 10:57
i was wondering if anyone else, feels dizzy with head-aches and a little spaced off citalopram? i'm like this most of the day?... also i think its effecting my digestive system.

i always feel like i need to burp, or i have trapped wind? but never can release it? and i get acid in my throat sometimes when i try and burp... it kind'a scares me sometime as i feel like theres something stuck in my throat stopping me?...

many more symptoms, but wont bore you with them right now... and as my doctor always says "it's just your anxiety"... :unsure:

o'h dear!

X

VickiS
04-06-11, 11:04
I get the dizzyness,headaches and spaced out feeling although I'm only on day 8 so I've been told it's quite normal to feel like this for a while.

I've also been burping more lol so no problems with not letting it out for me :p there seem to be numerous side effects which should ease off in time, maybe someone who has been on them longer would be able to help more, good luck

Vicki

sun-shine
04-06-11, 11:24
its day 9 for me, and as of yet i haven't felt anything major subside in-terms of my anxiety/health anxiety, although my panic-attacks are fewer... i still panic, but it doesn't always result in a full-blown attack?

it does't help that these darn tablets give you yet more "symptoms" on top of the ones you already have (or think you have?) ... no good for a worrier like me! :ohmy:

i'm still feeling obtamistic however, and a lot of people have said after the 2wk mark is when you will notice a difference?...

thanks for the reply

x

cheerydearie
04-06-11, 15:07
Well I'm now on day 15, having taken 10mg a day since day 1, and after the initial spaced-out-ness wore off I'm feeling like a slightly calmer version of who I've been recently, but definitely still nowhere near my old self! Saw doc 2 days ago and she recommended that I go up to 20mg - this was her intention after she initially saw me anyway, but was doing the "easing me in" thing with the 10mg to start with. Have prescription but not had a chance to get to chemist yet to get the meds.

Slightly nervous about going up to the next level, but know that I need it to get me back to where I need/want to be. Plus, doc said that I should initially try taking 20mg one day & then only 10 mg the following day, and carry out this cycle for a week or so to ease myself up to the higher dose, so that makes me slightly less nervous.

To this who are still in the first few days of taking the tablets - please stick with them, as you will find the side-effects do calm down and the positive effects will start to kick in! You'll get through it - honest - just take it easy on yourself for the first few days! Here's hoping we're all on the road to recovery!

xxxxx

jackanory84
04-06-11, 17:51
Thanks Vicki.

Had a few palps again today....I know they're nothing except me feeling uptight, but they never really stop being scary =(

I'm on day 8 of the 20mg. I'm feeling not too bad apart from the palps. My partner noticed I was in a bit of a rubbish mood earlier, but I seem to have perked up a bit thankfully.

Hope you've all had a lovely Saturday

Lynsey

VickiS
05-06-11, 10:49
Hi Lynsey

It's a vicious circle we get heart palpitations because we suffer from anxiety, which in turn makes us more anxious when we get them, well that's how it works for me anyway lol

Day 9 on cit for me, I had a bad day yesterday which I guess we all have but I wondered because it's the weekend I stayed up late on Friday and was thinking maybe this contributed to how I was feeling? Does anyone else have a bad day if they stay up late the night before? It's just a thought, or maybe it was just a bad day an I'm over analysing again lol

Hope you all have a calm Sunday

Vicki

sun-shine
05-06-11, 11:26
hey vicki,

i agree, with anxiety we get loads of different, sometimes scary symptoms (well i do anyway) and when you start on new medication some side effects from the med's contribute to the symptoms you where already experiencing before taking them?... so again i agree its a never ending circle of anxiety!

i'm now on day 10 of citalopram, and still everyday is bad for me? i find that i build myself up a little, try and supress the negative thoughts and ignore the anxiety symptoms... but then something happens and im back to square one. its this negative thinking of impening doom!! its horrid... and dont get me started on the over whelming feeling of "not really being here"... i am a human? what am i doing here? who am i?... lol :ohmy:

X

VickiS
05-06-11, 11:45
Hey sun-shine

It's so true! It's a never ending circle that we are all hoping to find a loop in somewhere lol

I'm the same as you, haven't had a "good" day at all yet, but I'm told that's normal, it will take weeks to feel some sort of effect from the cit (apart from the bad ones) we are roughly at the same stage, although I'm only on 10mg so maybe we can help each other, I'm keeping an open mind and waiting for that "normal" feeling ( whatever that may be, it's been so long I can't remember what it feels like)

Reading the success stories on here gives me great hope and determination that things will get better

Catya
05-06-11, 15:45
Hello again.
Oh dear, I'm afraid I've stopped them. They really were not suiting me and I couldn't stand the insomnia any longer. SO....
back to the drawing board for me. Good luck everyone else!

chrissy16
05-06-11, 16:13
Day 16 for me now. Feel OK and slept 10 hours last night. Previously I have had trouble sleeping so think the cit may be settling down in my system now. I have had NO major anxiety attacks though, and feel a lot calmer. Wonder if my doctor will up me to 20mg like everyone else? x

jackanory84
05-06-11, 19:11
It's day 10 for me on the 20mg. I am feeling ok today! Was really sleepy last night; I think I was asleep before 11pm which is rare for me on a Saturday night! It'll be two weeks on the Cit by the time I go on holiday...I'm hoping the side effects will be barely noticeable!

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend

Lynsey

VickiS
06-06-11, 20:05
Day 10 has been a pretty weird one for me, it started off a really bad day then I had a small calm period which was such a relief as my anxiety has been awful, however the calm period only lasted around an hour but it seemed to give me that small break I needed as the rest of the day was pretty bad, I can't wait for the cit to kick in and start working

Hope you are all having a good day
Vicki

sarah5string
06-06-11, 20:39
When I first started on it after a week or so I felt reaaally down and depressed, and had a couple of thoughts of hurting myself, but thankfully these passed fairly quickly. The only other symptom that was long running was a dodgy tummy!

sun-shine
07-06-11, 11:02
Day 10 has been a pretty weird one for me, it started off a really bad day then I had a small calm period which was such a relief as my anxiety has been awful, however the calm period only lasted around an hour but it seemed to give me that small break I needed as the rest of the day was pretty bad, I can't wait for the cit to kick in and start working

Hope you are all having a good day
Vicki

hey vicki, hope your well :)

reading your post, is exactly me! its day 12 today, and yesterday was such a strange day for me too? i woke up with the normal: shakey, anxiety, thinking the worse! then later that day i too had a small calm period and was able to peg some washing out? (i know it sounds sad, but i have interest in NOTHING but my anxiety these past weeks)...

my anxiety was pretty-bad there after, i had 2 in cases where i was on the verge of a panic attack, and by 9pm i was sooo tired. i couldnt sleep thinking something bad was gonna happen too me?... iv been awake most of the night panicky and shaken up, thinking i was gonna stop breathing?... but the night before i slept OK?

i suppose we need to take the bad with the good, and hopefully one day soon we will have more good days then bad...

Good-Luck! ..... :)

X

VickiS
07-06-11, 11:30
Hey Sun-Shine

I'm glad we are both feeling the same way It makes me feel less anxious about what I'm going through, my small calm period allowed me to do washing too, and I totally get that this is a big deal cause I haven't felt like doing anything either.

I was at the docs this morning and he said this is probably the worst stage so it should start to get better really soon. It's day 11 for me and hopefully I'll get another wee calm period

I hope you also have a good day
Vicki

jackanory84
07-06-11, 12:31
Hey guys

Day 12 on the 20mg Cit for me. I'm feeling not too bad just now...had a couple of palpitations again, but just need to remember that the cardiologist advised there was nothing wrong with me and I was suffering from anxiety!

I'm off on holiday in a couple of days and cannot wait to lie in the sun without any worries (well I hope so!)

I have never really had my anxiety disorder explained to me...after reading several different websites and forums, I think I probably have Health Anxiety. What sort of Anxiety do you guys suffer from?

I just constantly felt like I was dying; that impending feeling of doom was just the worst thing I have ever experienced!

Hope you're having a good day!

Lynsey

sun-shine
07-06-11, 12:48
Hey guys

Day 12 on the 20mg Cit for me. I'm feeling not too bad just now...had a couple of palpitations again, but just need to remember that the cardiologist advised there was nothing wrong with me and I was suffering from anxiety!

I'm off on holiday in a couple of days and cannot wait to lie in the sun without any worries (well I hope so!)

I have never really had my anxiety disorder explained to me...after reading several different websites and forums, I think I probably have Health Anxiety. What sort of Anxiety do you guys suffer from?

I just constantly felt like I was dying; that impending feeling of doom was just the worst thing I have ever experienced!

Hope you're having a good day!

Lynsey

hey jack :)

glad your having a ok day. i too suffer anxiety, mostly health related. and that feeling of impending doom is my best friend right now! its awful, i cant function nor sleep! its all i think about?

its day 12 for me, i think im having a bad day if im honest, but forced myself out to the shops for bits and pieces, and do i hell know what i bought?

hopefully but this afternoon im feeling better, my darn foot wont stop moving up and down! lol

X

VickiS
07-06-11, 14:24
Hey guys

I suffer from general anxiety disorder so I panic about everything and anything lol, I also have agorophobia which is a proper pain :(

Lynsey I hope you do have a nice relaxing holiday and Sun-Shine keep your chin up we are getting there :)

jackanory84
08-06-11, 10:02
Hey Sun-shine, hey Vicki

Thanks for your replies!

Oh Sun-shine, the feeling of impending doom is horrible. I would get a horrible queasy feeling in my stomach and this funny sensation that would run from the tips of my toes to my head...was a really awful feeling which I hope not to encounter often again.

I think my anxiety stems back from when I was in hospital a few years ago; I was taken in when my heart was doing around 180 beats per minute; unfortunately, the doctors told me I had managed to sustained atrial fibrillation or "holiday heartbeat" as they like to call it. I had overdone it on holiday on the all inclusive cocktails and had set my heart into a funny rhythm. They had to give me this drug via IV twice and if effectively stops your heart beating whilst you're awake and kick starts it again. It was hands down, one of the scariest experiences of my life and for them to do it twice...well it was just terrible.

No one properly explained the reason for doing it or offered me any counselling or anything afterwards, so understandably the paranoia regarding my heart saw me in A&E about three or four times; panic attacks making me think I was having a heart attack.

Anyway, I am hoping I have now been able to address these issues a bit and the Cit will help with dealing with the symptoms.

I hope you both have a good couple of weeks. Hopefully you'll still be about for a chat when I get back.

Take care

Lynsey x

A Little More Light
09-06-11, 00:01
Hi,

I have just started taking Citalopram 20mg, already feeling nauseas but I'm going to stick with it. My doctor explained that this might happen but it will pass. I have been quite depressed for about 3 years now (this episode) and had counselling but had to stop as I ran out of money!

I have also put off going to the doctor for help as I thought I could try to work through my symptoms on my own, I don't take medications unless really necessry, and also because I thought it would affect me when I apply for jobs. However, my depression has not lifted and I'm not functioning well and not achieving the goals in life that I should be and so decided that my own self is more important than anything. If I can get my depression lifted somehow then I can hopefully move on to some success in my life.

So I have relented and am now taking Citalopram and have also been referred to counselling.

I am writing this as there does sometimes seem to be some negativity about the drug. It is daunting to be on a medication especially for people like myself who don't like to reach for pills as a quick fix for anything, but in the grand scheme of things, this approach along with counselling, is a short-term solution that can lead to a long-term happiness. I understand that the symptoms can be unpleasant and variable from person to person but I will stick with it myself as I have been assured that they will pass. If they get too unpleasant then I'll consult my doctor.

I've been so depressed for so long now, surely possible beneficial results of taking the med will outweigh the feelings of hoplessness I've had for a long while. So a few weeks of feeling a bit sick will be worth it.

T

VickiS
09-06-11, 10:34
Hey Lynsey

Have a nice relaxing holiday, enjoy every minute of it, I'll still be around in 2 weeks.

It's day 13 for me, I had a really bad day yesterday I was so anxious all day and panicked a few times :( I'm hoping today is a better day, keeping a positive attitude

I hope you all have a good calm day
Vicki

Lookingforward
09-06-11, 16:02
Have had generalised anxiety for 10 years - previously had venlofaxine and duloxtine as treatments but had to stop both suddenly dye to pregnancies, now panic and anxiety back withstand vengeance so gp has prescribed me this drug and after reading side effects I am panicking at taking it. After 4 weeksof trying to cope (badly) I have forced myself to take first one today - took 5mg (half of my tablet) and 4 hours later not experienced anything yet other than feel a tiny bit jittery. Am hoping it stays like this! Will keep updated! X

shoegal
09-06-11, 18:18
For all of you starting on Citalopram I have been told by my Dr that tiredness, sleep problems, tingling, nausea, upset tummy and increased anxiety are common side effects experienced within the first two weeks of taking this drug (for SOME people) BUT they do pass and after a few weeks you will notice a dramatic improvement in your symptoms. I am on day 4 of Citalopram (10mg) and so far I have experienced all of the above symptoms. I can honestly say they are a doddle compared to the state I was in before. The only thing I'm struggling with is the increased anxiety but I have been prescribed Diazepam to help with this until the Citalopram settles into my system so I would strongly advise anybody to ask for Diazepam if you notice an increase in your anxiety. Please remember that some people experience no side effects at all including my sister (lucky her)! Please don't be frightened of trying this medicine. I have heard of people being housebound for 2 years being able to go shopping after only 6 weeks using this drug! If you really can't tolerate the side effects you can ask you Dr to prescribe other meds to help, and you can always throw in the towel if it really doesn't help. But if there is the slightest chance this drug will change your life then surely it's got to be worth a try? Good luck to anybody starting out on their Citalopram journey. xxx

VickiS
11-06-11, 19:38
Hi all

Day 15 on cit for me and it's been not too bad a day :) the only thing still getting to me really is the increased anxiety but I'm getting there

Hope you're all having a good day

Agent99
12-06-11, 08:02
Hi, I'm going through a nasty divorce and not coping very well, I was initialy prescribed 40mg but has been increased now to 60mg this week, All I seem to do is cry, does anyone know if this is normal or had the same effect. I seem to be on a really high doseage whe I've read some of the previous posts and now I'm really worried. Thank you Anne

VickiS
13-06-11, 11:30
Day 17 for me, just spoke to my dr and he said my anxiety should be this bad at this stage so he's prescribed me 50mg sertraline, I was willing to give it more tome but he said no, my anxiety levels are too high :(

perseverence
13-06-11, 11:53
Hi Vicki I was on Sertraline for 5 years but then my doctor put me on Cipralex early this year ,my G A D is much worse now,so I am going back to Sertraline.

VickiS
13-06-11, 12:09
I didnt think 17 days was long enough to try them for?

shoegal
14-06-11, 00:04
I was told it takes 4-6 weeks before you will notice an improvement in your symptoms on Citalopram. In fact I have been given Diazepam for one month to help me cope with the increased anxiety. I think 17 days is too soon to know if the Citalopram would have helped you. Oh, and I am being seen by a specialist Mental Health Team who really know what they are doing, I'm not sure GP's are particularly expert in this field (no offence meant to GP's).

VickiS
14-06-11, 08:12
Thanks shoegal

I don't think he's given them long enough either, Ive just realised the meds he wants to change me to I've taken before and they made me ill so I'm going to keep taking the cit and try and get another appointment to see him, if I'm willing to stick out the SEs to see if the cit works surely he should understand that??

shoegal
14-06-11, 18:04
Have you been seen by anybody other than your Dr? Sometimes it's better to see a Psychiatrist or Psychiatric nurse as they have far more experience of dealing with mental health and the drugs/side effects etc. All I know is I have been told by 2 Psychiatric nurses and two Drs that I will have increased anxiety for 3 or 4 weeks and it will be 6 weeks before I notice much improvement in my health. So I would say you should at least give the meds a month before giving up on them, especially as you have come this far.

A Little More Light
14-06-11, 22:49
An Update - I've been taking Citalopram for a week now and apart from the nausea on the first day I've had no adverse side affects. I think the nausea was a combination of taking the drug and the fact that I hadn't eaten anything that day.

VickiS
15-06-11, 10:22
Hi Shoegal

No I've only been seen by my GP he's never referred me to see anyone else, I'm carrying on with the cit anyway, I can't get an appointment to see him until monday :(

Its day 19 for me and for a stupid reason I'm feeling really apprehensive about taking my cit today :( I ended up lying in bed about 9ish last night as I felt really dizzy,lightheaded and nauseous. I've woke up feeling the same this morning ( I don't think it's the cit as most of the SEs have died down for me except the increased anxiety) maybe I've caught a tummy bug or something but it's just making me anxious today

Hope you all have a calm Wednesday :)

Vicki

shoegal
15-06-11, 17:19
All of the symptoms you describe sound EXACTLY like the side effects I'm having from the Citalopram. It can take 4 weeks to settle into your system and up to 6 weeks to feel the benefits so you were probably having a little bout of Citalopram side effects. Increased anxiety is the WORST side effect for me, but I'm sticking with it.

VickiS
16-06-11, 10:08
Thanks Shoegal

The increased anxiety is the worst for me too, some days it seems unbearable but I'm determined to stick it out and hopefully will see some improvement over the coming weeks. I actually had an ok day yesterday, the anxiety was still there but I'm telling myself it's a SE and it will get better :)

sun-shine
16-06-11, 19:26
hi guy's...

i've now been on Citalopram for 3wks, the first 2wks i was taking 10mg and i'm now on 20mg and have been for 1wk. Before taking the medication my anxiety was through the roof, unable to concentrate, a terrible list symptoms and constantly worrying. fearing for my life and panic attacks where a regular occurrence (every single day)

The first wk on Citalopram was the worst for me. my anxiety was higher then ever before and i did not have any form of emotion bar sadness & fear. My anxiety symptoms where the worst they had ever been (dizzy, headaches, chest pain, breathless, shakey, aches/pains,panicky, digestion problems, fear of eating... the list continues?!) within this week i suffered the worse panic-attacks i have ever had.

The second week the side effets reduced slightley and my panic-attacks were'nt so intense, although i still had the anxiety every single minute of the day and always fearful of dying/death! trying to sleep was still a no-no (unless i took sleeping pills)

The third week (this week) has been mixed? even though i feel my anxiety hasn't changed and is still in control of me, i've had a rest from the actual panic-attacks, which is a releaf in its-self.... i still have many symptoms/side effects which do scare me (ever day im dizzy and get funny pains in my body, and i feel my chest is always tight and im sometimes unable to burp? etc etc etc) and im still always anxious. but some moments are better then others; where before its was just always extreme anxiety so i guess it has subsided, if only slightly? falling asleep is still difficult without pills, but i find myself sleeping a little better and not waking up as much in a panic? i still have a fear of dying too? (which the doctor said is due to the anxiety and the many symptoms you get, as well as the panic attacks?)

i have found that i need perminant distraction from myself (which i find one of the hardest things to-do?) and i can't relax too save my life no matter how much i try (candles, baths, reading, music...) although i have been eating better, taking more walks, and swimming 3 or more times a week which at the time does help with your anxiety. so i'm not JUST relying on the medication, although im still expecting for one day too wake up feeling normal again?? (one can dream!!)

i know its still early days, and even though i may not think it, the anxiety has de-creased if only a tad? but what you find you do is STILL compare your-self too how you used too be before all the anxiety as apposed to how bad you where at your lowest point (if that makes sence)

my wish is to just feeling normal again and have more "normal-days" (screw happy! normal will do for me!) and for my anxiety (and all its horrid symptoms) to subside and allow me to live and enjoy my life once more (without the constant worry?...)

sorry for the blabbering guy's!!

we will get there?... :)

X

Chris_B
24-06-11, 22:30
Hello all.

My doctor has just prescribed me 20mg Citalopram a day. I've never been on medication like this before so I am really nervous, I plan to start tomorrow. I've suffered from panic and anxiety for about 6 years now but I've never really done anything about it besides normal counselling. My GP has also referred me to a counsellor and I should hopefully be getting some CBT as well. Anxiety and panic has really ruled my life for the last several years and I need to do something about it now. I couldn't even go away on holiday this year because I can't go into airports and I have no social life.

The thing that is worrying me slightly is the side effects and the possibility of my anxiety becoming worse for a while. Last week, for the first time in many years, I contacted one of my old friends and arranged for a night out in the town to see a famous comedian followed by a pint. This was a huge milestone for me as because I haven't had the confidence. However, I'm concerned that if I start these meds tomorrow that in a weeks time my anxiety might be really bad and I might not be able to go or I will suffer an attack there. I'm also guessing that alcohol is a no-no for the first couple of weeks?

I'm nervous but excited at the same time. I really hope it makes a positive difference and allows me to lead a normal life. I know there's more to it than just taking the meds and I do plan to start doing exercise, sort my diet out and also have CBT sessions.

irvin
01-07-11, 14:19
Hi all been on this drug for 2 weeks now after 10 days i stopped taking them felt so ill. Had chest pains, nausea, insomnia, nightmares, fainting feeling and sweating. When i stopped taking them i felt ten times worse. Phoned my Doctor told him about my symptoms and he said thats the norm so try and stick with them for another 2 weeks. 2 weeks i couldnt poke up with this crap for another 2 mins. He told me to half the dose from 20 to 10 on taking 10 i do feel a tadge better. Had quite a good day yesterday but having a crappy one today. Funny thing is my partner is on them 20mg at that and she has no side effects at all.

Chester
03-07-11, 15:53
Does anyone else find themselves going to the toilet a hell of a lot more than they used to?

irvin
04-07-11, 16:35
my peeings ok but i do get constipated

irvin
07-07-11, 11:47
21 days ive been on these bloody things and i feel no different whatsoever in fact i feel worse. got to the stage now were i think is it worth it uuuuurgh

Chris_B
07-07-11, 12:51
I've been on it for 4 days now and I'm feel a bit yucky today - very tired, sleepy and don't have much of an appetite. I hope these side effects subside soon.

21 days ive been on these bloody things and i feel no different whatsoever in fact i feel worse. got to the stage now were i think is it worth it uuuuurgh

Hang on in there, irvin. My doctor said it can take *at least* 4 weeks to really start noticing a difference. Remember also that we all have good and bad days.

Good luck.

irvin
07-07-11, 16:03
hi chris i will crack on with them for a while. the only upside is that i have to see my doctor next week and shes a cracker. lol

irvin
10-07-11, 13:15
Day 23 and still feel like crap. Anxiety has shot through the roof. Surly they should have kicked in by now. 7 more days then they are going down the bog.

On 10mg was thinking about going back up to 20s but really cant see the point.
uuuuuuuuuuuurgh

dizzy 24/7
dry mouth
legs like jelly
cant sleep
no motivation
getting agraphobic
wake up shaking ect ect ect
only thing gone is the nausea but i would gladly have that back for the dizziness to go

Chris_B
10-07-11, 17:59
Sorry to hear that irvin. :(

Have you spoken to your doctor about it yet to see what he or she has to say?

Try not to lose hope, you will get there in the end. Hopefully they'll really kick in soon but if not there's always other meds out there which you may have a better reaction to.

irvin
11-07-11, 12:25
hi chris seeing my doc on fri. i must admit tho for the first time in months i didnt wake up with shakes today in fact i felt quite content but it all came back when i got up. so perhaps they are kicking in a tad. how about you how are you doing.

oldtime
11-07-11, 17:37
irvin, they took 3 months to kick in for me, and its not a sudden kick in it's subtle. You start to feel a bit better in the mornings, have less bad days, then you start to have more good days than bad. Now after 5 months I have not had a bad day for a whole month, and I'm still slowly improving day by day.

irvin
11-07-11, 17:49
hi chris i should just about be able to venture out and buy my own christmas cards then :D strange how they take longer times to kick in with different people.

irvin
11-07-11, 17:51
sorry mohc i thought it was chris whoops

irvin
11-07-11, 17:53
when do u take your tablet mohc nights or morns

oldtime
11-07-11, 18:34
20mg in the morning first thing with my breakfast. I also take 15mg of Mirtazipine at night.

The mirt helps me sleep and is a god send, my anxiety caused severe insomnia.

babeljude
12-07-11, 19:37
I have been on them for 4 weeks, started with 10mg, immediate SE was sleeplessness (which my GP dismissed as she said they were sedatives...) - upped to 20mg for the last 2 weeks. SE include nausea pretty much all the time, loss of appetite (not so bad as I am quite a large lady), yawning like an idiot, total loss of libido. And my IBS has been worse too. I will persevere (if only in the hope of weight loss) for another month, by which time I really need to be back at work, hopefully as a functioning adult. Reassured by some of the posts here, thank you all. My friend has been on these pills for a year with no side effects, just goes to show everyone is different.

Chris_B
14-07-11, 22:37
hi chris seeing my doc on fri. i must admit tho for the first time in months i didnt wake up with shakes today in fact i felt quite content but it all came back when i got up. so perhaps they are kicking in a tad. how about you how are you doing.

I'm not too bad thanks. My side effects have definitely been improving - my nausea has nearly completely gone, my appetite is increasing and I feel less sleepy/tired. However, I do occasionally feel quite light headed and I seem to sweat a lot more when doing physical work. The other day I had to help my mum and auntie clear a house out and by the end of it I was really sweating which is unusual for me. I've also woken up a couple of times in the middle of the night covered in sweat, which again is unusual.

In terms of my anxiety, it's not too bad at the moment. The first week or so on Citalopram was pretty bad but it seems to be settling down a little now. I got a letter through the post the other day confirming that I will be having CBT so I'm hoping that the combination of CBT and Citalopram will finally kick this anxiety/panic attacks in the ****! I know it'll take a while, but I just want my life back now. It's been so frustrating not being able to socialise or work without being plagued with constant nervousness and anxiety.

Does anyone know if it's OK to drink whilst on Citalopram? I'm not a heavy driver but I would like to be able to have a pint occasionally. I had half a pint the other day and I felt a little anxious not knowing what effect it would have!

suzy-sue
15-07-11, 12:15
Drinking moderately is ok ..But best to wait until your dose is stable ..You may find it only takes a small ammount of alcohol for you to feel drunk .So dont go mad lol .Im sure you will feel better once you combine the CBT . The night sweats are common and a side effect but it will pass when you feel at a stable level and reach your theraputic dose .Good luck with the Cbt and your recovery ..Sue x

chrissy16
20-07-11, 15:09
Hi, Just an update: I have now been on 10mg cit. for just over 2 months now. I find that they are very good for the anxiety, and I can say that I have not had a bad anxiety attack in the last 6 weeks. I probably would feel a lot better if I had not been diagnosed with breast cancer in February, I now have that worry too. I have had an operation to remove the lump and just finished (3 weeks ago) radiotherapy which I had for 3 weeks, 16 treatments. This diagnosis has only served to pile on the anxiety, but the citalopram must be working as I do not feel too bad at all. It works in a subtle way. It is not instant, far from it, and takes a while to work, but it does eventually. In fact, you dont really notice it working until one day you remember that you are not anxious anymore. I am just wondering though if I could feel even better? Is the dose right for me? Or do I need to see my doctor again for a review? How do we know if the dose is the correct one? Anyones input would be grateful. Thanks, chris x

Magic
20-07-11, 19:06
Dear Chrissy,
Just come across your post. What a lot to deal with. I do think you need to go to your gp for a review.
I have been on cit for about a year 10mg, I have made a prebookable appointment for 29th to see my GP for a review as I feel as though they are affecting my memory and ask is there is an alternative.
I have valium to calm me down,but as they are addictive I only use them if I am really panicy.
I do wish you well:hugs::hugs:
:hugs:

chrissy16
21-07-11, 10:25
Hi

Thank you Magic. Yes it is a lot to deal with, but amazingly I am coping with all of this. I will make an appointment to see my doctor and see what she says. She did give me valium too (only 10) when I was first diagnosed as it was a great shock to me and I needed "something" to calm me down and get my head around it, but I have used them; yes they are good, if only for now and again. Thank you, chris x

tracey ann
21-07-11, 14:00
Hi, can anyone please help me, i am terrified to take these tablets incase i have side effects, i have to be alert and well because i have a little boy with autism, i have been diagnosed with anxiety and panic, it started when i got trapped in a fair ride,so i now avoid all small areas that have doors that close and lock, then a few weeks later i started to avoid large crowds, and a few weeks after that i had a panic attack on the motorway so i now avoid roads, this is spiralling out of control, to the extent where i am finding it extremely difficult to leave the house, i suppose i have convinced myself that my home is my safe haven,i cannot carry on like this as i know i will become a prisoner in my own home. my question is do i start to take these tablets and suffer the side effects which will upset my son if i start to act differently, or do i try and cbt or other theropies, please help, thankyou tracey ann

chrissy16
22-07-11, 13:00
Hi

I would try them. I have been on mine now for about 2 months and I was hesitant to start them too, but I am glad I did. I started on 5mg (cut the 10mg in half) and made my way up that way to 10mg. At first they did not have any effect on me, but gradually my anxiety and panic went away, I had terrible anxiety attacks at night but they are more or less gone now. They are not a miracle drug, but work in a very subtle way. Please try them, what's worse, going through all of this panic and anxiety or a few minor side effects. I did not get any side effects really, or if I did I did not notice them. You will be surprised by them. Let me know how you go? chris x

suzy-sue
22-07-11, 13:23
If you can get CBT ,its well worth it .Drugs will mask the symtoms but arent a cure .If you dont do anything as well as take them ,you will find you go back to how you were ,when you come off them .t/c and all the best Sue x

crumble
22-07-11, 14:17
Hi all,
Those that have started on 20mg - did your doctors advise at all on slowly building up the dose (that is, breaking the tablet in half, quarters etc)? You may be experiencing bad side effects because of starting straight on 20mg?
I found the best thing to do is to taper the dose and build them up gently - just as you would do when you are coming off them. I was taking cit a few years ago and built them up. I don't remember any bad side effects but I know we react differently.
Hope this helps.

Chris_B
24-07-11, 17:07
Hi, can anyone please help me, i am terrified to take these tablets incase i have side effects, i have to be alert and well because i have a little boy with autism, i have been diagnosed with anxiety and panic, it started when i got trapped in a fair ride,so i now avoid all small areas that have doors that close and lock, then a few weeks later i started to avoid large crowds, and a few weeks after that i had a panic attack on the motorway so i now avoid roads, this is spiralling out of control, to the extent where i am finding it extremely difficult to leave the house, i suppose i have convinced myself that my home is my safe haven,i cannot carry on like this as i know i will become a prisoner in my own home. my question is do i start to take these tablets and suffer the side effects which will upset my son if i start to act differently, or do i try and cbt or other theropies, please help, thankyou tracey ann

Hi Tracey,

Like you, the anxiety and panic attacks were seriously starting to effect my life and I decided that something needed to be done. I was also terrified of starting Citalopram because of the possible side effects and all the bad things I heard about anti depressants from misinformed people and the media. However, I plucked up the courage and took the first tablet. I started on 20mg straight away and the first week I did have nausea and a lack of energy with a slightly increase in anxiety (which was probably caused by the mild side effects and the fear of starting medication). However, after 7 days on 20mg of Citalopram the side effects started to slowly disappear and now 3 weeks later the nausea and fatigue is almost gone. The only side effect I really notice at the moment is an increase in sweating but I can deal with that. My anxiety feels much more under control and I generally feel calmer. I'm also sleeping much better because my sleep patterns have gone back to normal (I sleep from about 11pm to 8am, whereas before I wasn't getting off to sleep until about 1am and waking up at 10am or later!). I found it better to take the tablet at night because it helps with sleeping and doesn't cause afternoon fatigue which I was getting when I took it in the morning.

I'm so pleased that I started them. Once I took the first tablet it became so much easier and I gained the confidence to continue.

Good luck.

irvin
30-07-11, 16:32
been on these things for 6 weeks now aint seen much improvement what so ever so i thought i would go from 10 to 20. what a mistake that was all my symptoms camee flooding back seeing my doc on Mon thinking of knocking them on the head. surely something should have happened after 6 weeks

annette1
30-07-11, 16:52
Hi irvin
This happened when i started taking Cit too. My GP told me i should have some relief after about 4wks but it took 8-10 to see any reduction in my anxiety. Going from 10 to 20mg will increase side effects but they shouldnt last as long.
If you can stick it out you should start to feel better soon. I'm on 40mg now & other than tiredness I have no side effects. I found eating regular meals & drinking plenty of water also helped to ease side effects.

irvin
30-07-11, 23:58
hi annette i will see wot doc says on Mon

irvin
01-08-11, 13:21
hi annette doc talked me in to staying on themfor a bit longer

KirstyB
04-08-11, 12:18
I started taking 20mg of Citalopram on Tuesday and I've felt like c**p for the last few days- nausea, headaches, fatigue, dizziness and chronic insomnia (and this is from someone who can fall asleep as soon as their head hits the pillow) so I'm, so far, unimpressed. However, I will stick with them to see if they help with my anxiety and depression. I just wish I didn't feel 'seasick' constantly as it makes it hard to do anything.

irvin
04-08-11, 13:56
hi kirsty the best of luck im still getting side effects after 7 weeks it dont mean u.will tho

cathycrumble
04-08-11, 17:30
Hi Irvin

Glad to hear I am not the only one still getting SE I been on them now for 7 weeks. I have gone from 30mg up to 40mg and that was 2 weeks ago. my headaches went worse and sickness. I was wandering if it was because I went up to 40 just 2 weeks ago. All I want is my anxiety to get lost. Will stick with them though.

Cathy crumble x

irvin
04-08-11, 22:38
yr side effects are prob hanging around cus u keep changing yr dose anything higher than 1o knocks me scatty i hope they kick in soon for u. keep me informed irvin

irvin
04-08-11, 22:47
sticking with them is the hardest part Cathy. bloody things they have naffed my life up ober the last.7 weeks.i just hope its worth it in the end

cathycrumble
04-08-11, 22:50
Will do. The sooner I start feeling myself again the better. I just think you got to try and stick with them. Because from what i have read on this forum thy can take a couple of months to start working.

cathy xx

irvin
04-08-11, 22:59
one woman said it took 12 weeks with her oh my god another 5 weeks Cathy lol

MarieS
11-08-11, 12:45
Hi guys

I've been taking Citalopram 20mg for nearly two years. I've been reading through some of the posts about side effects and I am slightly worried that it might put some people off trying it out.

I started on 10mg tablets after finally seeking help and failing to respond to suggestions of therapy (I had panic attacks just thinking about talking to a stranger in the middle of a big city) and I must say, I felt worse than before. I made an appointment intending to quit the tablets and after a bit of a breakdown in the surgery I was surprised to find my prescription had been increased.

I would say it took a few weeks for changes to take effect but boy was I glad I stuck it out. I never had any of the side effects listed here apart from one: the loss of sensation in my nether regions. As I wasn't having sex the only bother was finding it hard to pee. I decided the fact that I could look people in the eye, get out of bed at normal times, work efficiently, feel motivated to clean up the house and chat like a normal happy person more than made up for the side effect.

I don't know quite when it happened, but the side effect disappeared. It must have been about 6 months after starting the tablets I am in a relationship now and have been since last year and I can tell you there is nothing wrong downstairs, that's for sure! I believe I even feel more than I used to before I took citalopram!

My only worry is that one day I will have to come off these tablets. I am petrified that I will divebomb back to where I came, and this time I would be taking my boyfriend with me. I cannot let that happen. If the tablets work, then clearly I have a chemical imbalance and not that I am a victim of circumstances.

Anyway, I just wanted to reassure some of you guys that not everybody has awful side effects from taking citalopram, and the benefits far outweigh the risks.

crumble
11-08-11, 21:30
Hi MarieS, That's great to hear you're doing so well on them and I hope they continue to help you. I found they really helped me a few years ago too. I also feared going back to where I was once I stopped taking them... and unfortunately I did. Though this was a few years after stopping them, and it was no way as severe as the first time. I'm back on the citalopram again now, but being back on them doesn't bother me at all since I faired so well on them the first time and I have faith in them working again.

Anyway, my point of posting was to say I think MarieS makes a very good point in saying that the benefits outweigh any side effects. I've been gradually increasing my dose up to 10mg over the past few weeks and I have had no side effects that I can think of.

If anyone has been prescribed this medicine I recommend giving it a go. If you're worried about side effects the best way to avoid them (in my experience) is to work up to the full dose over a few weeks (splitting the tablet in quarters, then half) - yes, to get the full benefit of the drug may take a little longer, but if experiencing any side effects (which you may not actually get) is putting you off I think this is an ideal way around it.

Good luck everyone.

Deusinversus
01-09-11, 11:45
Hi, I started on citalopram 12 weeks ago for depression and anxiety. I was at a real low stage, and finaly thought I would pluck up the courage and ask the doctor for anti depressants. Before I had always been the sought to think that I would never need to take anti depressants, but I was wrong :ohmy:. I started on 10mg and after week one I went up to 20mg and then after 6 weeks I went to 30mg, which is what I am on now.

The depression has gone :yesyes:, but I still have the anxiety, and I actualy do think it is worse than before. :mad:.

The anxiety makes me sweat alot, and I think the citalopram have made it worse :weep: Do others find this with citalopram.

Darren

cathycrumble
01-09-11, 12:38
Hi guys

I've been taking Citalopram 20mg for nearly two years. I've been reading through some of the posts about side effects and I am slightly worried that it might put some people off trying it out.

I started on 10mg tablets after finally seeking help and failing to respond to suggestions of therapy (I had panic attacks just thinking about talking to a stranger in the middle of a big city) and I must say, I felt worse than before. I made an appointment intending to quit the tablets and after a bit of a breakdown in the surgery I was surprised to find my prescription had been increased.

I would say it took a few weeks for changes to take effect but boy was I glad I stuck it out. I never had any of the side effects listed here apart from one: the loss of sensation in my nether regions. As I wasn't having sex the only bother was finding it hard to pee. I decided the fact that I could look people in the eye, get out of bed at normal times, work efficiently, feel motivated to clean up the house and chat like a normal happy person more than made up for the side effect.

I don't know quite when it happened, but the side effect disappeared. It must have been about 6 months after starting the tablets I am in a relationship now and have been since last year and I can tell you there is nothing wrong downstairs, that's for sure! I believe I even feel more than I used to before I took citalopram!

My only worry is that one day I will have to come off these tablets. I am petrified that I will divebomb back to where I came, and this time I would be taking my boyfriend with me. I cannot let that happen. If the tablets work, then clearly I have a chemical imbalance and not that I am a victim of circumstances.

Anyway, I just wanted to reassure some of you guys that not everybody has awful side effects from taking citalopram, and the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Marie you have soo motivated me to stay on them I was nealy coming off them the other day I have been on them for 10 weeks now I been on 40mg for 6weeks 3 days. and I think going up to 40 was hard as got the side affects badish. But I do know what you mean as i went on them last september was on them til march/april and because i felt so good I came off cold turkey and hit rock bottom so back on them now and hope i get what i had when I was last on them. Reading your experience with them has helped me so thank you

Cathy xx

chrissy16
01-09-11, 13:31
Hi

I have been on citalopram for 3 months now and I feel great. They did not work at first, but you have to stick with them. They work very subtly, and you hardly notice at first then you realise you are less anxious and happy. I dont have any of the anxiety attacks I used to have at night now, and I can now do more or less what I used to. I am still only on 10mg. But you do have to stick with them even if you dont feel any improvement at first. I think it was about 7/8 weeks before I noticed any improvement. chris x

irvin
01-09-11, 13:34
hi darren im in the same boat as you. i was on 20mg at the start but i couldnt take them side effects were unbearable so i went down to 10mg however i was on 10s for 11 weeks and and they were about as much use as choclate tea pot. i have now gone back to 20s but the side effects have come back worse than ever. i will stick with them for a while just to see if the side effects go. i too have started sweating. im in my 12th week

Deusinversus
01-09-11, 20:33
hi darren im in the same boat as you. i was on 20mg at the start but i couldnt take them side effects were unbearable so i went down to 10mg however i was on 10s for 11 weeks and and they were about as much use as choclate tea pot. i have now gone back to 20s but the side effects have come back worse than ever. i will stick with them for a while just to see if the side effects go. i too have started sweating. im in my 12th week

They really help me, but I get very hot and sweat all the time in any social situation. I wonder if the sweating will stop, I hope so :unsure:

Wotnews
04-09-11, 18:55
Hi
I have reduced my citalopram from 20mg to 10 cos I really feel the dose was too high for me and was making me worse.I've lost loads of weight and have no appetite.I started on 10mgs and started to get worse when I went up to 20. It's hard though isn't it cos the side effects of the meds mimic anxiety and vies versa. It's great that some people really feel the benefits,but we are all different and each body may react differently to any drug..this is true of antibiotics so why not anti depressants.
I agree with some other folk here that maybe it's time for me to try drug free and see how I feel.Good luck to everyone and I hope you've got a good thorough and understanding doc x

Deusinversus
05-09-11, 08:14
I decided to cut my dose a little bit from 30 to 25, and the sweating side effects have lessened :) I still experience them, but not as much, so I intend to cut back to 20 within the next week.

slowfish
05-09-11, 10:27
now coming to the end of 5th week on the increased dose of 40mg. Feel very tired all the time and can't seem to "empty my head" - should I give it another couple of weeks?

irvin
05-09-11, 12:35
stick with it slowfish its the only way. ive been through hell the last 12 weeks still got side effects this is because i think that ive up my dose. at least the side effects have not got worse they seem to be on an even keel. im a bit like you and have head issues. i get an ache up the back of my neck and my head feels muzzy all the time. what issues are you getting head wise. i must admit that one of my side effects has lessened quite a bit but im not saying what because if i do penny to a pinch of sxxt it will come back. lol:D

piscesb
05-09-11, 12:53
Hi, I have had panic disorder and depression for 20 years and was on Paxtine for 10 years I feel that they just stopped working, I went cold turkey for 3 days. 10mg citalopram for 4 days then 20mg, it is now 3 weeks on 20mg, I feel horrible, from the first dose I have been having horrendous panic attacks daily. My Dr says it is too early to tell if they are going to work or if I will need to try another. I really can't keep going like this, I am feeling like i just want to give up!!!!!:weep: Will the side effects settle? Please help. thank you

slowfish
05-09-11, 14:35
hi irvin - sounds like you are getting there so stick with it.
It just seems like such a long time now that I have not felt like my old self - I guess with each increase in the dose I'm getting surges in the side effects again so they have never settled down. The main head issues are just not being able to switch off the chatterbox and constant negative thinking and worry.

irvin
06-09-11, 11:20
hi slow fish i get the mind chatter and negative thinking also.

irvin
06-09-11, 11:22
oh i also get a song stuck in my head as well i was singing viva la vida for about a week and i dont even like bloody coldplay lol

cathycrumble
06-09-11, 14:54
stick with it slowfish its the only way. ive been through hell the last 12 weeks still got side effects this is because i think that ive up my dose. at least the side effects have not got worse they seem to be on an even keel. im a bit like you and have head issues. i get an ache up the back of my neck and my head feels muzzy all the time. what issues are you getting head wise. i must admit that one of my side effects has lessened quite a bit but im not saying what because if i do penny to a pinch of sxxt it will come back. lol:D
Hi Irvin

I am like you suffering with my neck and shoulders and also getting the negetive chatterbox like Slowfish. I am into my 7th week on 40mg of cit. all together been on them 11weeks. Mornings arn't good either. was nearly stopping them last week. Glad I didn't I am just hoping they kick in soon. What anoys me is that I first took them last September and was on them until April and I was soo well on them I was great. But, what did silly me do? I stopped them cold turkey and went right back and it was horendours. That is why I am staying on them as they worked for me last time and if I can remember it did take a couple of months to kick in.

Cathy xx

irvin
06-09-11, 16:08
hi cathy nice to hear from you. i know that the neck and shoulder pain can be awful at times. im in my 13th week still havnt kicked in properly. i have gone from 10s to 20s i wouldnt attempt 40s. im like you the mornings are horrible. yesterday i didnt feel to bad so went out in the garden and done a bit of work. today i feel like crap again. a bit dizzy chest discomfort back ache and a bit up tight i also keep thinking about backing them in but that would be silly at this stage. trouble is ive been feeling like crap for so long i dont think i would realise if i was feeling better. sometimes i cant breath properly and seem to gasp for air. the other day that completely went then i thought there was something wrong because i could breath properly. lol what a pain it all is in more ways than one

cathycrumble
06-09-11, 17:39
Yes Irvin

It is such a pain. You seem to be like me the so called good feeling hasn't hit us 2 yet lol. We have been on them about the same time so we should keep intouch see how we are getting on. I am still getting my negative thougts and I find them hard to push away and think rationally. Claire weeks is good to listen to. I would say have a listen she is amazing.

http://www.junior-anxiety-depression-exchange.org.uk/relax.html#HowToRecover

It is funny though as I dont like to say I am doing ok incase I go back to being nervous again. Because one day I feel I have come through the other side then the next bump back to horrid fears. :ohmy:

Keep me informed of how you are getting on.

Cathy xx:)

irvin
06-09-11, 19:25
ok cathy will do xx

hyg
06-09-11, 19:53
Hi cathy and Irvin !
Ive just popped on to say I had a c**p day today -I posted earlier when I was feeling sorry for myself. Im in week 5 and still getting odd symptoms-one SE goes and another replaces it ! Like you Cathy mornings are worse for me and I generally get better thru the day. I wake up having arguments with myself in my head-u know negative versus positive. I had bad back aches also Irvin when I went from 10-20 mg and at this point thought of quitting-but Im glad I didnt-I think we ve all come too far xx

cathycrumble
06-09-11, 20:03
Hi cathy and Irvin !
Ive just popped on to say I had a c**p day today -I posted earlier when I was feeling sorry for myself. Im in week 5 and still getting odd symptoms-one SE goes and another replaces it ! Like you Cathy mornings are worse for me and I generally get better thru the day. I wake up having arguments with myself in my head-u know negative versus positive. I had bad back aches also Irvin when I went from 10-20 mg and at this point thought of quitting-but Im glad I didnt-I think we ve all come too far xx
Hi Hyg

Yes we have got to keep going. We have come too far to quit. It's good to know we're all in this together. And as you say mornings EEK I have auguments thinking one way then the other and it is so hard to get out of bed as I feel so crap and it's like an unreal world you just want to get back in the real world to be happy and have fun days laugh look forward to shopping again and buying cothes one of my fav hobbies. I am going on too much but I am sure you know what I mean. Keep going.

Cathy xx

irvin
07-09-11, 11:15
hi cathy and hyg lets see what today brings then

rmilton
22-09-11, 17:33
Wanna know something really stupid? I was on Escitalopram 10mg (an analogue of Citalopram) for 3 years. It was like a dream. No complaints, ever. Then the docs weaned me off. Now I need to go back on and I have been put on Citalopram 20mg and it has been the most hellish 2 days. I am trying not to retch at my desk at work. My eyes ache because my pupils are so dilated and I have Bruxism (+ numb teeth) and incessant yawning/drowsiness. I am taking your suggestions tomorrow and reducing to 10mg, but by the time my pack is done (if I can even bear it that long!) and I still feel shit I am demanding Escitalopram. The doc said they are "like the same" but I NEVER had such side effects! I feel high, as if I'm on drugs! My advice: if you're coming to the end of your pack, go to your doc and ask for Escitalopram. It'll be the best decision you'll ever make. Good luck x

Catya
22-09-11, 18:28
No? I couldn't get on with Escitalopram.... the side effects were too severe for me.

irvin
24-09-11, 13:52
hi milton i had the same trouble 20s knocked me scatty i went down to 10s but they didnt seem strong enough so i bit the bullet and went back up to 20s still getting side effects. dont let me put you off tho 10s might work for you

Dangermouse99
26-09-11, 12:29
My husband has been begging me to begin taking these pills, they have been sat in the packet staring at me for weeks. I began taking them about 6 months ago but after being sick the first few days i got scared and put off as i have a vomiting phobia...so i stopped taking them, especially after feeling like i was going to vomit in public which is my very worst nightmare.

Well, this weekend i was worse than i have ever been...i stayed in bed the whole day on Saturday racked in Anxiety and feeling so low and i think i even scared my husband...so this morning i have taken 10mg of the drug and this time i will stick it out.

I have been feeling anxious since...strange and disturbing thoughts which is normal for me...but i got into a panic and considered getting my husband back from work as i feel very detached and nervous, but i'm not sure how much is the drug and how much is it me getting into a panic. I don't feel sick yet.

I went to my room to have a lay down but i feel i need to keep busy otherwise i get very intrusive thoughts. My bedroom freaked me out when i went in it...so i have come back downstairs. Still getting waves of anxiety.

...will update later.

irvin
26-09-11, 13:44
hi dangermouse these things do bring on anxiety when i started taking them my anxiety shot right up it lasted for about 3 weeks ive just upped my dose and my side effects are back i get the odd glimmer that they are working so i will stick with them you should as well. keep me informed. irvin

hartleysjam
26-09-11, 14:25
Has anyone suffered from really achy legs? it's driving me nuts! I can't work out if its the Cit or the fact I've just become a full veggie and i'm missing out on something

irvin
27-09-11, 00:53
my legs dont ache but i get cramp

Tero
27-09-11, 01:44
Wanna know something really stupid? I was on Escitalopram 10mg (an analogue of Citalopram) for 3 years. It was like a dream. No complaints, ever. Then the docs weaned me off. Now I need to go back on and I have been put on Citalopram 20mg and it has been the most hellish 2 days. I am trying not to retch at my desk at work. My eyes ache because my pupils are so dilated and I have Bruxism (+ numb teeth) and incessant yawning/drowsiness. I am taking your suggestions tomorrow and reducing to 10mg, but by the time my pack is done (if I can even bear it that long!) and I still feel shit I am demanding Escitalopram. The doc said they are "like the same" but I NEVER had such side effects! I feel high, as if I'm on drugs! My advice: if you're coming to the end of your pack, go to your doc and ask for Escitalopram. It'll be the best decision you'll ever make. Good luck x
They are not the same, but very close. In fact one is two isomers, the the other one is one of those two. But they can act differently.

Cooper
27-09-11, 06:17
Nice sharing.
I also had side affects when i used 10mg pill, then i was felt dizzy,
feeling sick and my anxiety seemed alot worse,
but after a few days it all seemed to settle down so
i increased them to 20 mg.

Fabmcfc
27-09-11, 11:31
Hey I've been on 10mg of Citalopram for a week now and in te past week I have suffered from dizziness, blurred vision, nausea, sensitivity to light and not been able to ejaculate for a week now, are all the side effects normal ? Will it always be like this or will it get better ? I have a review with my doctor next week to look at increasing the dose, any suggestions in what I should do ?

irvin
27-09-11, 12:57
it will go off fab but it takes time like i said on my earlier posts i had awful side effects on 20s so i went back to 10s the side effects wore off so i went back to 20s and my side effects are back again my probs are dizziness chest ache and i seem to spend alot of the time gasping for breath. the chest and breathing does subside sometimes but i am dizzy 24/7.

Fabmcfc
27-09-11, 13:09
Hmm thanx Irvin, so is it a good thing to stay on them ? Have u considered asking your doctor to change medications? N how long have u been taking them for now ?

irvin
27-09-11, 18:09
hi fab i was on 10s for 14 weeks but they didnt seem strong enough so i went back to 20s and have been on them for 3 weeks. i still feel awful about after an hr after ive taken them even now. i havnt seen my doc about changing meds i shall stick with these. i dont feel so agitated as i did and i seem to want to do a bit more. before i just watched the world go by and didnt give a shit. its the bloody side effects that get to me. but i think alot of it is that after i have taken my pill the mind takes over and convinces me that the side effects should now kick in so they do. bit of a vicious circle really. we are just unfortunate that we are the people that suffer side effects. my partner takes them and she went straight on to 40mg its just like taken smarties to her.

Disco Stu
05-10-11, 22:45
Hi all,

I have just taken my first 10mg, and I did this before reading the symptoms list when I did read it it mentions that I shouldn't also take st johns wort which I'd also just taken! now I'm freaking out but I'm not suffering from any of the symptoms yet,... Has any one else stupidly made the same mistake?

Also just want to to say thanks for all the positive posts in this thread, really does help when you are just starting to get you life back on track after hitting rock bottom!

Stu

irvin
06-10-11, 12:35
best of luck on your journey stu

adamgarcia
12-10-11, 00:09
Hey guys, I need to share this with you. June 2011 and I was sat at home watching telly, it was just gone half 8 in the evening. just a normal evening, nothing special. without any warning I had a strange sensation, a strange kind of electric fuzz passed through my body, my heart thumped and started racing beyond any control, I lost breath and felt very faint, my heart beat faster and faster, i felt weak and terrified. my chest started to feel tight and kind of empty as my heart thumped and raced. For no reason, no reason at all, I was experiencing my first panic attack!

I was rushed to the emergency unit in fear of having a heart attack, i felt such a fool afterwards, really felt stupid. I put it down to a little stress at work.

Since then, I have never forgotten about that first attack, i had always since then being waiting for the next, my anxiety had gone through the roof, my mind had constantly raced over silly things too. I was constantly on edge, snappy and unhappy, forever in fear of the next terrifying attack. I thought I could beat this, some self therapy etc, this did not work for me.

August 2011:
Enough was enough, I had tried to deal with my anxiety and panic attacks on my own, it was too much for me to bear, I thought i was going crazy,i felt stupid yes, but i had to admit that i needed help.
I went to see my doctor that same week and she prescribed me Citalopram 20m daily. Ok, i was a little dubious at first but i would give anything a try at this time.
I collected my prescription on the Wednesday, Took my first pill that afternoon.
Thursday morning I woke as normal, no change, just normal feelings. I took my second tablet around 11:30 am and just relaxed with a coffee.

12pm all was fine, 1pm all was fine......then, oh my god, my life, my feelings went AWOL......I went loopy, for no reason I went totally loopy. I turned nasty, suicidal......you name all feelings, i had the LOT!! It took a good 36 hours for me to settle down, that was the worst experience of my life.

These tablets have some severe side effects, side effects you would not dream of. Please please please do not take these for the first time alone! Have somebody with you at all times for the first 48 hours.

I am now on the road to recovery........Citalopram in the long term have turned my life around for the better, I no more have great anxiety or panic attacks. All side affects are different on everybody and my experience was bad at first, please stick with them as they are a god send.............just dont be alone for the first 48 hours!!!!!

bobcat
12-10-11, 09:40
Hi

I'm on day 7 of taking citalopram my GP put me on 20mg..

The ist 4 days were strange my GP said to exspect heightened anxiety and stomach upset she was right..

Ist day ok 2nd day bad headache 3rd day heightened anxiety and feeling sick 4th day the same then symptons have started to wear of a bit day 7 feel a bit better just a bit weak ...wanted to stop afer 3 days but carried on today I feel more positive i'm eating more as well and feel I can do more today as well as I've felt like a zombie at times xx

---------- Post added at 08:40 ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 ----------

to add i wasn't alone especially when the anxiety was heightened which gave me much needed reasurrance xx

alan1
17-10-11, 11:25
Have been on this and helped my depression - came off it last year but have been down for a couple of months so off to the doctor and maybe get this again. didn`t make me feel sick or anything like that - missing a tablet would make your head fuzzy and i ended up going `cold turkey` when i did come off them and after a couple of days the fuzzy head went away - not addictive as such just a fuzzy head when late taking a tablet or coming off it. Libido was well down and also put on alot of weight - normally a skinny 9 and half stone and went up to almost 12 stone which has come down again since stopping taking citalopram.

Benjo
19-10-11, 11:13
I'm set to start taking Citalopram at some point today, but I'm still very nervous about the side effects....or rather one side effect in general, that being the chance of having suicidal thoughts.

At the moment I already suffer from anxiety on a daily basis and in the last month after having a panic attack, I had an irrational thought about how I easily could harm myself with a knife (despite never being suicidal before in my life). Of course I didn't go through with it however that thought has made me down the last month now and continually scared me.

So when I was given Citalopram and told that one of the side effects can be suicidal thoughts, I was immediately scared about having something like that happen to me (I'd also read that it is most common in younger people, and being almost 21 that again scared me).

So I guess I'm wondering if a lot of people really have had a side effect like that? The other potential side effects don't really worry me as much but this one really scares me.

krstn8705
25-10-11, 04:41
I started celexa 4 days ago due to having to switch from Wellbutrin because of an allergic reaction. I was fine the first 2 days of taking it but this morning I woke up feeling very nauseous. I went in my bathroom to take a shower and that's when I started feeling very confused, sweating profusely, thought I was going to vomit, and was so dizzy I passed out. When I woke up I could barely move and was so weak, it felt like somebody had drugged me, it was the worst feeling I have ever experienced.

Went to the er and they said it could've been a seizure but needless to say I have stopped this medicine and am going to the doctor tomorrow to get something different.

pooh
27-11-11, 01:15
Hi There!
I started taking citalopram 12 days ago and what a scary ride it has been so far. Two weeks ago I suffered a massive panic attack out of the blue and the resulting high levels of anxiety had me feeling like I was going nuts and I haven't left the house since. To let you understand I have a history of anxiety and depression. Indeed, last year I had the most awful pre and post natal depression was in hospital for a month and stayed with my parents for another two before I felt able to go home. At that time I was placed on 20mg fluoxetine and 5 mg of diazepam daily. It seemed to work for a while until I began to feel sedately depressed and decided to come off the drugs in february this year without consulting the doctor. Very silly move :) Anyhow, My experiences of citalopram so far have been nothing short of absolute hell. I never though it was possible but my anxiety has increased I've even had more panic attacks felt dizzy ( actually fell over the other night didn't hurt myself and it was funny) and the suicidal thoughts well oh my gosh. To counteract this my doc has put me on 15 mgs of diazepam till the worst of the side effects subside. What I find the worst is that these side effects are exhausting however there are moments and they are getting longer when I feel more of myself and that is why I choose to persevere for all the hell the majority of the time it causes me because I absolutely believe it will get better. Oh I also started on 10 mgs for 4 days then upped to 20 mgs. I am very fortunate to belong to a fantastic NHS practice with the most amazing doctors. I have family and friends that I can hang onto physically if I need to or talk out every panicking anxious suicidal thought that might be running through my head at any given point in time too and I have been referred back to my post natal psychiatrist ( in circumstances like this and because of the age of my daughter the appointment comes in much much faster) something for which I am again very very grateful. I think the point I am trying to make in this post is that yes side effects can be scary, they can be horrendous and feel never ending. I have always known and with other ssri's I've been on that the initial crash before the improvement can be hell. But for me I have to try. Not to would leave me stuck in the four walls of my house and never having a life again and I can cope with the thought of that even less.I am not scared to accept that I may be on drugs for the rest of my life and I genuinely hope for each and everyone of you who finds themselves here on this forum that there is some answer whether it be medication or natural techniques that can assist you in recovering your mental and emotional well being. And see, here I am feeling well enough to post and even throw in a bit of humour. I wish the same for you all.
take care
Pooh x

Charnwood Fox
27-11-11, 13:56
Hell's Bells' I must be one of the lucky ones!

I have suffered quietly with PTSD and depression for 45 years. Recent changes at work and to our financilal position sent me on a faster downward spiral than usual.
The love of a good woman - or the threat of losing it if I continued how I was, more like - got me to see sense and go to the doctor.

I started taking Citalopram at one 20mg per day just over a week ago and, to date, my experiences are:

Increased nausea
Yawning like there's no tomorrow, but no increase in tiredness
Diarrhoea - once, 4 hours after the first dose
Mild constipation - altered defecation pattern
Mild headaches for the first 4 days
Shaking for the first 4 days
Slight dizziness
Loss of appetite
Wind (flatulence)
I feel less aggitated, less snappy, more tollerant, only thought of topping myself once in the time I've been taking it, used to be 2 or 3 times a day at my lowest ebbs, and my sense of humour is coming back.

Still having trouble getting off to sleep, still waking after a few short hours and not able to get back to sleep.

I Will Overcome
27-11-11, 14:31
I was prescribed Ciprolax last week ..5 mg per day (a 10 mg tablet cut in half). I feel slightly less anxious but I can feel it's still there. Perhaps this is a positive thing after reading the posts here. Slow wins the race I think for me, and I appreciate that my doctor didn't bombard me. I was very reluctant to take any drugs for this, however I was unable to cope on my own with everything else I am dealing with in life. I will keep you posted:) oxo

irvin
05-12-11, 13:45
After 6 dreadful Months i have decided to come of the bloody things. Tried to wean myself off slowly but that was worse. So i have made up my mind to go cold turkey. After 5 days the world seems a different place my emotions are coming back sex emotions are returning. Still get side effects but i see them in a different light now. Main ones are dizziness and chest discomfort although the dizziness is subsiding. When i was on the tablets and felt awful i just gave up and shut myself away thinking oh chest pains my heart, dizziness brain tumour but now i just say to myself oh bugger off its just anxiety and i get on with life. I have done more in the last 5 days than i did in the whole of the last 6 months. My anxiety has also been better.

All these tablets do is dull your emotions they dont take the problems away just masks them. If they work for some people thats great i feel happy for you i really do but they didnt work for me. So i am determined to go tablet free.

Catya
05-12-11, 16:27
Well to go cold turkey can be asking for trouble?

irvin
05-12-11, 17:50
hi catya im going to take that chance x

Catya
05-12-11, 18:42
Be careful though. I went through that when I came off Seroxat.

irvin
06-12-11, 00:34
i look at it this way catherine the idea of coming off of them is to get them out your system. you start to take a 10 every other day you are still putting them in your system. then you go to every three days, still in ya system and so on until you might go to a 5 every 4 days or what ever. when you stop completely although it may be only 5s they are still in your system so in my mind you are still going cold turkey. confused i think i am lol :D

Catya
06-12-11, 11:31
Yep.... see your point. Just take care x

irvin
06-12-11, 16:55
hi catherine thanks for your concern much appreciated. you take care as well irvin x

kirstynic
06-12-11, 20:32
Anyone have early periods bought on by taking this, been on it nearly a week and period came 4 days early today.

irvin
07-12-11, 04:50
hi kirsty if you read some earlier posts you will see that other woman have had period problems

irvin
08-12-11, 13:20
hi catherine if you catch this post, after 7 days not to bad so far touch wood although having a bit of a struggle with dizziness today. hope you are feeling ok irvin xxx

kirstynic
11-12-11, 08:45
Day day 12 on cipromil 10mg today and I am feeling really bad. I am suffering with a constant leg ache in my left leg and knee pain in my left knee too, it has sent my health anxiety soaring as convinced I have bone cancer as this is the 3rd day if feeling this now :( I am doubting the pain is caused my the medication as its only in my left leg. I was also up in the night with a dodgy tummy and still waking up early hours if the morning feeling scared :((

irvin
11-12-11, 13:13
dont panic kirsty i had all that only i get awful pain in my arms i did also have it in my legs. just ask yourself this did i have all this before i started taking the tablets and i bet the answer is NO

emmalouise1975
11-12-11, 13:25
I tried them for 3 days and was the worst I'd ever been...my Dr took me off them and put me on Mirtazapine instead and from the word go they have been fab!! We are all different when it comes to side affects but I personally don't like side affects so won't take anything that makes me feel worse!!!

irvin
11-12-11, 13:26
this might be some help kirsty this is what i had after taking them for 14 days

headaches
chest pains
couldnt breath
leg and arm pains
dizziness 24/7
couldnt sleep
constapation
upset tummy
nausea
plus a few other things

if you get a bit frightened just go back and read this you will say bugger me im not on my own so im ok which you are luv.

kirstynic
11-12-11, 13:36
Is it not weird just to have it in one leg and knee tho?

irvin
11-12-11, 13:57
your ok luv. when i had it in my arms i couldnt lift my arm up sometimes. i know what your saying about health anxiety over the last 6 months ive had cancer luikemiea kidney failure liver condition and a brain tumor lol i havnt of course its just the tablets playing tricks with your mind. now when i get anything i just say oh bugger off its only the tablets.

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

to answer your question about having it in one leg na it will probably pop over to your other leg next week just to keep you on your toes lol please dont worry about it the more you do the worse it will get.

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

kirsty if you are on facebook be my friend if you get a bit frightened you can always have a chat on there im on as irvin phillimore from basingstoke. if you are married explain to your husband what you are doing dont want to cause any trouble i speak to a few others on there as well it helps sometimes. believe me i know what you are going through.

barry barracas
23-12-11, 14:14
was on 20mg for 4 months but became frustrated with the anorgasmia side effect. started to reduce my intake with a view to stopping alltogether. anxiety, deppression, high mood, upset stomach, hair loss, sleeplessness and still going 5 weeks after first reducing. not a drug i'd recomend.

Goggy
23-12-11, 15:51
Hi guys I have been on 20 mg for about 3 1/2 weeks and I must say I'm abit confused

The first week was really bad due to the fact that I had a viral infection at the time as well but after the first couple of days I started to feel abit better was able to start eating abit more ( which was good cause I'm losing alot of weight :()

The second week came and I still felt the same emotionally but I felt like I had to do things so I started walking and doing little things here n there

Now week 3, I went to the doctor and she uped me to 30 mg from 20.mg I asked her if there would be anymore side effects and she said no that it doesn't matter about the dose your body will be used to it so this is day 3 on the 30 and I feel horrible, I didn't have really any anxiety before the medication and now it just happens and it's freaky cause it can be over nothing and then I vomit which I can't really afford to do :(

I have read alot of people's posts and I am trying to hang in there but I thought they are ment to stop the anxiety not cause it 3 weeks in ?

Pat77
28-12-11, 14:01
I have been on Cit 10mg for about 2months and had the side effects (feeling agitated, anxious, sleepless, numbness, etc) basically everyday a different thing, after about 6weeks, the side effect were not there but I felt 10mg was not holding my anxiety and the Doc decided to put up to 20mg. I am on day 3 and I can feel the side effects again, I am not worried because I know it will pass and will settle ... So hang in there, not easy but we can do it !!! Those medication they potentialise the symptoms before sorting them out ... I have read lots of threads of successful histories ... and I have one myself from 10 yrs ago ... so hang in there, it will pass !!!
Pat

ericaruth
29-12-11, 13:39
:blush:hi, i have also started with citalopram for the second time. thought i could do without but cant.... i NOW remember me saying to myself....never stop as its hell to start again, I FORGOT how nasty the side effects were. the nausea is awful at times,i have 9 days behind me and the anxiety is getting better..so, please continue as i remember that they suddenly work and you will feel so much like your old self.....good luck and as they say" KEEP TAKIN THE TABLETS lol.:whistles:.
Im on this med for second time
forgot how bad side effects were.
Doc put meon 20mg and i felt awful so i reduced to 10mg for first 2weeks and then increaced to 20mg.
Feel a lot better for that,hope you feel better soon.

Betty x

KirstyB
03-01-12, 20:30
Been on Citalopram for 5 months now. Started on 20mg and GP increased this to 40mg after a couple of weeks. All I can say is for anyone who is just starting out on this medication is stick with it. If you're anything like me you will feel akin to death for the first few weeks, I had chronic physical symptoms as well as feeling suicidal at times but it did pass and now I feel a million times better. The best advice I can give is to be patient, take them with food to lessen the nauseous feeling and if possible, take them at night so you sleep through the worst of the side effects. They do work but they take some getting used to!

Bella89
06-01-12, 18:36
Hi I have been reading a lot of posts about citalopram and wanted to see if there was anyone out there who went on these and didn't suffer side effects
And has found they are back to there old selfs? I know it is stupid to think that I will take them and be ok straight away but my
Doctor didn't warn me of any of this... I have had many symptoms of depression for years and like everyone else have wanted to face it alone and not take medication but it got to a point last month I admitted I may need a little help fr a while... I was prescribed 20mg and I took one Christmas eve and had a terrible upset stomach, heart racing, pains in my head and didn't sleep fr a few days! This scared me so I came off straight away! Just trying to decide whether to try again or go back to trying to face it myself without led again.... Any help would be really appreciated! X

Tero
07-01-12, 14:06
I don't have any major side effects at 20mg (I weigh 180 lb) other than some fatigue. If I stayed home I could just take a nap but I end up drinking about three cups of coffee a day, which is then bad for anxiety. But I need the coffee for my one hour drive to get home.

irvin
08-01-12, 23:15
hi bella they work for some people but for me they were a nightmare i stopped taking them the best memory i had of them was when they disappeared down the loo but like i say they may work for you

Bella89
09-01-12, 00:13
Thanks for the replies.. I think I'm going to see how I feel over the next month or so and if don't feel any better ill try them out for a week and see if the side effects are too bad then I shall leave them and seek alternative help. I'm starting to see a councillor soon so I am hoping this helps!

monalisa
11-01-12, 17:05
Hi I'm new here, I have been on Citalopram for six days due to stress and anxiety. I have experienced the fatigue, sickness, dry mouth and tightness in the chest. I am finding it difficult to get anything done and very tired. I have been off work a week but am due to return and wondering if I should come off these as I need to be able to function at work. I wondered if the withdrawal would be too bad after six days, has anybody had any experience after such a short time? I also wondered about taking St Johns Wort as any alternative? I should be grateful for any advice.

Thank you.

NoPoet
11-01-12, 17:23
Hi, I'm coming straight off cit after 9 days due to a massive increase in feelings of depression. I doubt you'd notice more than mild discomfort after such a short time but unless your side effects are crippling your life or making you feel depressed or super-anxious, consider simply reducing your dose or changing the time you take your dose. If the side effects are bearable you'll find the worst of them pass in between 2 and 6 weeks although they can still take some of your energy away and may make you feel hungover on higher doses.

monalisa
11-01-12, 18:34
Thanks PsychoPoet I was thinking of trying the Insotil instead of the Citalopram, feel in a total fog at the moment, I know it's a waiting game, but I have to return to work and also with a family it's difficult to give myself the time, today thought after dropping my son off at school would have an hours nap, woke up at 1.00 pm still feeling sick and dazed.

jackanory84
12-01-12, 08:48
Hey guys

I haven't been on the site for quite some time as I have been on Cit for about six months now and I have to say, I am like a completely different person!

I suffer from Health Anxiety (always think there is something wrong with my heart) and it got to the point where I was breaking down in the GP surgery as I couldn't cope feeling like this anymore.

The GP prescribed 20mg of Cit and whilst the first month was hairy (increased symptoms, crying all the time etc.) I made it through and the Cit really has helped me to calm down, not panic and ultimately to realise I'm not dying all the time!

For anyone who's just started, stick with it; it's a little rubbish at first but you'll reap benefits in the long run.

=D

FixMe
14-01-12, 17:28
For the first two weeks of being on Citolapram, I felt awful! I felt really sick as well. But once the medication is in your system and your body adapts to it, you'll start to feel better. By better, I don't mean your anxiety will disappear as it will take a long time for the Citolapram to change the way you feel at all. But keep taking it as it will help in the long run and I'd suggest some counselling too, scary as it sounds it's a step forward :)

screwpanic
14-01-12, 17:48
evening all,

im on day 11 of 20mg. so far i have had maybe 2 days of feeling decent otherwise I have episodes of feeling almost euphoric for brief spells before "the fear" creeps back in. side effects have been a slight increase in anxiety/panic but difficult to say if they are any worse than when I started them. I also feel drained of energy and have increased sweats during the day with occasional hot flushes that last several minutes each time. last few nights i have also been having adrenaline rushes or brain zaps as im falling asleep but i have had these on/off for years so not sure if the meds have triggered them this time? appetite also not great but managing to force myself to eat, especially the mornings. nausea from meds has worn off after first few days. also have periods of feeling weak as tho my body has slowed right down, rather disturbing sensation. otherwise im just looking forward to having longer spells without fear and hope that one day soon it will have gone completely. :yesyes:

Beeble
14-01-12, 20:40
I increased my dose from 10 to 20mg a week ago yesterday. Three days ago I noticed after my shower a blotchy rash on my upper arms and thighs. I showed it to my GP yesterday and she thought maybe it was an allergy but it was fading a bit.
Last night and today it has spread it's all over my arms, legs and feet. It looks like hives (red blotchy, slightly itchy).... :ohmy: Could it be the cit...or is it me getting stressed?? I did have a glass of wine weds..... could that be the culprit??

Beeble
17-01-12, 12:32
Seems like I have a virus (maybe...) GP is not sure but it's nothing too bad. Just looks awful. :ohmy:

NCP
17-01-12, 23:00
Its almost standard for pretty much everyone to have some kind of side effects when they start which for most people trial off as your body adjusts. Its awful really because you take them when you are at your worst, when you least need to have aload of horrible side effects to deal with on top.

As the saying goes, no pain - no gain, you have to just hang in there for a bit and they will reduce.

You might find this reassuring, you're not alone:

Very common (affect more than 1 in 10 people)
Dry mouth.
Headache.
Increased sweating.
Feeling sick.
Feeling weak.
Sleepiness.
Difficulty sleeping (insomnia).

Common (affect between 1 in 10 and 1 in 100 people)
Decreased appetite and weight.
Shaking, usually of the hands (tremor).
Pins and needles sensations.
Itching.
Agitation, anxiety or nervousness.
Confusion or problems with attention.
Abnormal dreams.
Sensation of ringing or other noise in the ears (tinnitus).
Dizziness.
Fatigue.
Diarrhoea or constipation.
Vomiting.
Decreased sex drive.
Abnormal female orgasm.
Impotence or problems with ejaculation.
Pain in the muscles or joints (myalgia or arthralgia).

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000520.html

stamags
18-01-12, 09:02
hi all......will be taking day 10 tab today but just wish i could get rid of dizzy/lightheaded feeling. Had it all day yesterday but was feeling more anxious, trying to stay off the diazepam as dont want to become reliant on it,but had to have one at 2.30am as was very anxious and panicky.

sheltiemum
20-01-12, 01:03
I have had depression for years, I used to be on dosulepin however a year ago I stupidly stopped my medication to see if it was causing some other symptoms I was having. Yesterday I made the hard choice of going back and asking to go back onto anti-depressants as this past year has been unbearable. The doctor has given me citalopram 20mg. I took it yesterday morning straight after my appointment.

No major side effects, feeling a little dizzy like I have had a couple of glasses of wine and feeling a little sickly even after eating but nothing like some of the past side effects I have had off other anti-depressants.

I am feeling more tired, not sure if its down to the meds or if I just over did it this week. :whistles:

I am off to bed now so I can try day 2....wish me luck.:winks:

Chanters
27-01-12, 14:55
Jeez guys I am super scared now!!

I have been perscibed Citalopram for despression one of the main issues was loss of sex drive and when I research the drug it, itself has a side effect of sex drive.

Can anyone say if they have had this side effect. Although I am not looking forward to any of the other effects. People keep saying stick too the drugs but all posts seem more negative than positive :(

I just want to feel 'normal' and happy. I feel I might loose my partner if my depression doesnt subside.

Oh and I am day one...... Felt sick and my hands are a little shakey too.

Chantelle

pooh
27-01-12, 17:41
I have a new side effect not listed on any website or on the leaflet.... sewing. I started taking citalopram and I started sewing. never done it in my life before and now I can't stop LOL Ps I've no issues with sex drive on cit but lost it completely on fluoxetine.

oneofus
27-01-12, 18:06
Jeez guys I am super scared now!!

I have been perscibed Citalopram for despression one of the main issues was loss of sex drive and when I research the drug it, itself has a side effect of sex drive.

Can anyone say if they have had this side effect. Although I am not looking forward to any of the other effects. People keep saying stick too the drugs but all posts seem more negative than positive :(

I just want to feel 'normal' and happy. I feel I might loose my partner if my depression doesnt subside.

Oh and I am day one...... Felt sick and my hands are a little shakey too.

Chantelle

Male problems are more common. Cit is actually prescribed for premature ejaculation, in a small dose. So what took five minutes may take twenty. Now some may think that's a problem , but to others..... It's also an excuse to "experiment", we've found www.whollylove.co.uk useful.

One of us

Chanters
30-01-12, 14:38
Thank you for your response. I understand the use of this tablet in men but I a woman and I scared it will effect me even more in the loss of sex drive dept.

I am on my 4th day and my appertite has reduced and I feel sick most of the say, also feeling confused at times. I feel like my hands are shaking too. I am currently on a tablet called Cabergloine for a pituarty gland tumour and after some research I have found both these tablets are used to help woth parkinsons......another thing to put in the worry bank :(

Thanks again for your feedback x

Barno
30-01-12, 16:57
I was made redundant a year and a half ago and up until then was fine ( I had the odd episode but nothing too major). After I lost my job I could barely face going out, if it wasn't for the support of my wife and kids god knows what would have happened. However, each day was still a battle, I got a new job but some days still couldn't face it so made up excuses to not go in. Eventually last September I realised I couldn't do it myself anymore, I needed help. My doctor prescribed me 10mg of Citalopram and gave me Diazipam to take the edge off the day if you like. The 1st couple of weeks taking it crap, the panic attacks (I had 3) were totally different and in some ways worse. However, I stuck with it after reading then forum and now am feeling the best I've felt in years.

Stick with taking them, the 1st 2 weeks are the worst but belive me it's really worth it in the long run. Good luck to all.

chrissy16
31-01-12, 21:40
Update: I have now been taking these for over 6 months and I think they are wondeful. I am only taking 10mg but this seems to work for me. I had severe anxiety (no depression) and I think they work great for this. I am very happy and I no longer have anxiety attacks. I also am back driving again, which is great. I would say, just keep persevering with these, they do work in the end. x

timber
04-02-12, 03:47
Hi,

Citalopram is one of the better AD's that I've tried and been on.
I've been on AD's for the past 10 years or so.
The key to not having problems with SSRI's (IMHO & from my experience) is to start and stop them very gradually.

There are side effects, for sure, and each person reacts to them in different ways. The side effects from starting are quite different from stopping Citalopram. It's important, IMO, to go slowly in either case.

My experience on Citalopram was that it helped keep depression and anger at bay fine for years but at a cost. The cost being that it did tend to numb me to all emotion somewhat and I did experience some sexual dysfunction and the past few years sleep deprivation.

I just tapered off taking Citalopram and have been experiencing quite a few side effects from that.
Most noticeable is the "Zaps" (which I would describe as being tuned in to a good radio station and getting periodic waves of static across my brain).
Sometimes I get weird feelings in my chest with feelings of heart palpation, hearing my heartbeat in my ears and brief but sudden anxiety. I seem to get to sleep easier but wake up and can't get back to sleep.
I'm hoping these side effects will go away soon, I guess it take several weeks for them to subside.

Just wanted to let you know that the drug itself was very helpful but do taper off slowly if you ever do need to stop taking it.

Dave

PK252
14-02-12, 23:24
I've just been put back on them, I stopped about 1.5 yr ago slowly and seemed OK.
Apparently I wasn't, I got angry and could see reason to save my life, that was first off. I felt fine after that for a good while until recently I found feeling really black in my thoughts, well depressed, like there's no hope.
So I'm back on them and wouldn't mind a delayed sudden end to sex.
Thinking about it I did last longer. that's by and bye
I do know they levelled me out last time, which would be better than up high then down. I'll have to come back and let you know how it is.

monstaink
22-02-12, 23:42
hi

new to the forum and new to Citalopram, i will try cut my story short, 3 days ago i went to doc as my wife believes i may be a sufferer of aspergers, she has lived with me 20 years. Now 1 thing i never told the doc is i have lost both my parents in the last 15 month, my dad was just before xmas.
the doc asked me a number of questions regards the asumption of my wife of aspergers and prescribed me with citaloram and said i sound depressed more than any thing.
he never mentioned any side effects as such and me being me i never read the leaflet.
i'm now on day 3 of 20mgs i feel fine in my sel, but so much going on in my head and body would i see any of the side effects, if i do i will report back, my doc did tell me i may feel worse for a week or so this isn't uncommon but to give them a chance to get in my system was his words.
reading a lot of the previous posts my only concern is m i depressed and do i need these tablets, if i am going to need to be weened off them in the future.
i'll end now as i knowi can rabbit for england on these forums but not in person.

Oddfish
28-02-12, 05:57
Now starting my third course of citalopram and I think I've finally cracked it. I really have to take a gradual dose increase to avoid bad side effects.

I've been prescribed 20mg but took 5mg for nine days. I still felt a little dozy on that, also had a slight decrease in appetite and some yawning but nothing too bad. After two days at 10mg I got a bad headache and some weird 'obsessive' behaviour. I felt like I couldn't do anything but sit in one place and manically surf the internet. I felt very nervous and as though my head was stuck in some sort of loop of repetitive behavior. Luckily that only lasted a day. The most noticable thing has been sleep disturbance. I'm getting tired early and waking at 4/5 am. Apart from that though, not too bad. Building myself up for the leap to 20mg now.

ballbag
03-03-12, 00:55
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been on Citalopram since last September and as far as I can remember I've had no side effects at all, other really having the need to watch horror films and some woeird dreams lol.

These drugs have really helped me, especialy as I didn't even realise I was as bad as I was.

misstwilightstorm
07-03-12, 12:58
Hi,

I've been taking Citalopram 20mg for a little over a week now. I must say I've barely noticed any side effects. I will admit that I have felt spurred on to eat well and exercise (which I never normally am), but so far I'm doing alright. Thanks to that though I'm now on track with my weight loss and have lost half a stone! Yay

I was a bit worried at first when I started taking them about side effects. Kept thinking to myself "Oh my lord I'm going to get worse. I dont want to do this". My partner eventually made me start taking them, and told me that when he was on them he had been fine (on 50mg). He's been a massive help to me through my anxiety and stress and I'm grateful to have him.

I get married in November, so here's hoping that I'll be more myself by then

avasnana
07-03-12, 13:03
misstwighlightstorm,

Glad to hear you are doing so well, its nice to read positive stories about meds.

Congratulations on your wedding, the planning will keep you busy :D

Claire x

Robx
12-03-12, 12:24
I have been on 20mg of Citalopram for three weeks. I have experienced some effects which weren't there previously, reduced anxiety (or increased apathy?), waking up completely at 3am, odd muscular twitches, and even a bonus - an improvement in my sex life... I had to consult wikipedia on that as it isn't mentioned in the notes that came with the medication.

I have now reached a point where I can face some of the stresses in life again but in facing these I am experiencing those same feelings of anxiety and despair once more. Does this mean I need a larger dose?

Oddfish
20-03-12, 10:18
Now starting my third course of citalopram and I think I've finally cracked it. I really have to take a gradual dose increase to avoid bad side effects.

I've been prescribed 20mg but took 5mg for nine days. I still felt a little dozy on that, also had a slight decrease in appetite and some yawning but nothing too bad. After two days at 10mg I got a bad headache and some weird 'obsessive' behaviour. I felt like I couldn't do anything but sit in one place and manically surf the internet. I felt very nervous and as though my head was stuck in some sort of loop of repetitive behavior. Luckily that only lasted a day. The most noticable thing has been sleep disturbance. I'm getting tired early and waking at 4/5 am. Apart from that though, not too bad. Building myself up for the leap to 20mg now.

I'm not a doctor but to anybody who is wavering about taking medication I would say please give it a go. As I mentioned above I took 5mg for 9 days, 10mg for 9 days and now I've been on 20mg for 18 days and I can not believe how much better I feel. I've found that the gradual dose increase cut out many of the side effects. The worst I got was a 'foggy' head and a strange feeling of wanting to stay in and feeling anxious with a bit of insomnia but this only lasted a couple of weeks. It really is worth bearing the side effects in the long run.

lauz_lea
20-03-12, 12:56
Thanks Trickyvee - I've got a feeling my GP may prescribe cit at some point soon, did you get more side effects each time you increased the dose?

Oddfish
20-03-12, 15:55
Thanks Trickyvee - I've got a feeling my GP may prescribe cit at some point soon, did you get more side effects each time you increased the dose?

No, just the same few side effects which came back a little each time I increased the dose. Good luck if you decide to give them a go.

Pinky77
20-03-12, 23:43

Trickyvee,
I'm so glad I found your post and it has given me hope.
I was on Citalopram for many many years and came off about 9 months ago but now am going back on it as I havent been happy and my panic attacks have crept back.
The doctor gave me 20mg (same dose i was previously on) and after 3 days I started to get a range of side effects - extreme thirst, banging headache, feeling drunk, extreme tiredness and waves of anxiety.
A further 2 days on it had escalated and I was experiencing constant shakes if I wasn't moving about. I was so wired that I carried on for 48 hours with no sleep just pacing the house.
I phoned the doctor and she wasnt really any help just said, that shouldnt have happened and maybe to lower the dose. I did that for the next day but I just couldnt cope the side effects anymore and so stopped taking them.
It took me 4 days to stop the wired feeling and the shakes and a further week to calm down.
Ive now been back to the Dr to discuss what happened and I find it hard to believe when she says she has never heard of anyone experiencing what I did on the tablets.
The options she gave were to take 10mg, nothing or switch to prozac.
I have said I will start on 5mg and see what happens but I'm petrified of the horrid side effects hapening again as once they start I know that even if i stop the tablets it could carry on for days.
However Trickyvee your post has given me hope that if i build up slowly I can avoid the worst of the side effects. Thank you

Sophie123
23-03-12, 20:17
Hi Pinky 77, I had exactly the same side effects and they last about 2 weeks. The only thing I am still getting at times now is extreme tiredness but I was like that before I started taking them so do not think that it is a side effect. Let us know how you are getting on with them and hopefully the nasty side effects should start to subside after about 8 days. Good luck :)

WackoJacko
23-03-12, 22:11
Hi, i have sufferd with anxiety attacks for almost a year now and still have no idea why they just spring up for no reason it has slowly become a daily thing that i have to deal with. I dont no if annyone else gets this but when i feel anxiety coming on i allways feel sick and sometimes even heave violently i have not yet actualy been sick but i think it is somehow linked to my anxiety as i have had a gastro scan reasently and everything was fine. I have had countless seshions of cbt but i feel like its just pointless because my anxiety is unprovoked i can just be sat there watching tv and for no reason get realy nervous and shaky and paranoid.

It hasgone on that long that i have finaly given in and have been prescribed citalopram 10mg from the dctr they have tried to give themme a few times but ive allways been to scared of taking antidepresents not only because ov thebad story's u here but because i dont like the idea ov getting worse before they do what they are ment to do.

but i did notice that a main side effect to them is feeling sick or vomiting so do you think its wise for me to take them if i allready have a sickness side effect from my anxiety or would it not make a difrence?

my other worry is i have been out of work over 18mnths and reasently have got a job at b&q so i dont want to be ill for the loading phase of the citalopram as it may get me sacked. i have noticed that wen im at work my anxiety is less intense but is still noticable so i feel as tho its only amatter of time before my anxiety increases at work

imso confused at weather or not to start or if it is werth the risk to start taking my meds

has annyone got anny advise of ware to go from here please??

dromedary
24-03-12, 18:10
Have been on Citalopram for nearly three weeks and feel 100x better. The side effects were short lived apart from one - my sense of taste has radically altered and everything tastes sour, especially sweet foods. Has anyone else experienced this and does it wear off? If I can't enjoy food at all, I'm not sure I want to stay on this drug.