PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram side effects?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

suzy1984
29-04-06, 22:17
Hi
Hope i'm not repeating anybody elses post but I couldnt find an answer to my question. My doctor has prescribed me Citalopran (20mg) and I took one the other night and about an hour later I started to feel sick, dizzy, spaced out and shakey, it was nothing like a panic attack iv ever had and I was just wondering if it was a panic attack because I was expecting to get side effects or whether they were genuine side effects? Im too scared to take anymore incase it happens again.
Thanks for any advice
Suzy xx

Two heads
30-04-06, 00:55
Hi suzy!I have been on them 8weeks and have had a great night out tonight so stick with them if you want to feel half normal again hun!"

The side affects are horrible in the frist few weeks but they do get alot better.I only had one and had the same affects, and hit total heightened anxiety for at least aweek.Give them a chance they will take time to work.Maybe do what i did and cut back to 10mg for the frist month also!That is what is recomended if you look at the leaflet with out of course looking at the sideaffects,because that will make you ten times worse hun.
Make sure you eat well because i believe this helps and dont drink for a few weeks entil you have settled with the meds.I also took beta blockers the frist 3weeks with taking these to take the edge off.Please dont be scared of taking them they may help!!xxx

honeybee3939
30-04-06, 01:02
Hi Suzy,

I am taking Citalopran too,maybe it would be a good idea to start with 10mg for a week and then up them to 20mg, i had side affects with 10mg, dizzy, feeling sick and my anxiety seemed alot worse, but after the first week it all seemed to settle down so i increased them to 20 mg, i have been on them for 5 weeks now and feeling alot better. Stick with them suzy its worth it in the end !!

Hope that helps,

Love Andrea
xxx

mandie
30-04-06, 23:07
Hi Suzy

I felt terrible for the first couple of weeks on these and that was with 10mg.

I have been on these meds for 7 months now and i am feeling like my old self again.

I agree with what Bong said about eating.

Stick with it and dont feel scared. I think most of felt like that when we first started them, and things will get better.

Take care

love mandie x

Two heads
02-05-06, 12:10
Well i have upped them at long last!Will let you known how i feel in a few days.
I hate all this.xxxx

elizabetty
02-05-06, 23:31
Im on this med for second time
forgot how bad side effects were.
Doc put meon 20mg and i felt awful so i reduced to 10mg for first 2weeks and then increaced to 20mg.
Feel a lot better for that,hope you feel better soon.

Betty x

Two heads
03-05-06, 16:37
Cheers sweet!I have upped it to 15mg,im cutting one 20mg in to four and taking one piece with my ten mg tablet.Just trying to up them very slowly so i dont notice anymore sideaffects.I hope i start to feel better once and for all by upping it.
Let me no how you get onxxxx

Newsman
26-05-08, 18:14
After some misfortunes, I was prescribed Citalopram. That proved to be an even bigger misfortune. I didn't know what hit me. From feeling fed up and depressed, I became suicidal with new unshakeable thoughts. My elbow joints were on fire; my bowels behaved like a brickworks with internal bleeding. I stuck it for nine months before flushing the stuff down the loo - which has never been the same since. I have never regained my appetite. So I resorted to the old dictum: "Pull yourself together". Anyone using this stuff should be very careful.

Newsman

longcrested1
08-06-08, 19:36
My first time in a forum....gave up severe nicotine addiction, got depressed, prescribed citalopram, starting eight weeks ago on 10, in creased to 20, after 2 weeks, 10 days ago increased to 30. Since the start, Sleeping hours more than usual, (8/9 as opposed to 6), brain sluggish, stomach in constant tension, memory patchy. Am a lawyer, simply cannot live like this, am thinking of cold turkey...newsman, did you do that? What happened to you in the cold turkey? Don't mind some side effects, just need to get myself back...

houst69
09-06-08, 09:58
I have been on Citalopram for about 16 days now, first few days were horrible, awful metallic taste in mouth, feeling dizzy, heart pounding and cold rush throughout my body.

Had a couple of good days last week, but this week feel the same as ever.

Newsman
09-06-08, 22:07
"Am a lawyer, simply cannot live like this, am thinking of cold turkey...newsman, did you do that? What happened to you in the cold turkey? Don't mind some side effects, just need to get myself back..."

I am a Journalist and a 30 year PR Consultant - both careers swilling in booze. What did I do? I JUST STOPPED. Do what your mother told you: Pull yourself together! Get out into the sunshine. I'm on your side.

newsman

milly jones
09-06-08, 22:19
not all meds suit everyone but pls dont go cold turkey.

u need to come off these drugs slowly with docs guidance pls

milly x

Concerned
15-06-08, 21:34
My husband was prescribed Citalopram last week after he cut his wrists (even he's not sure if it was a suicide attempt). I'm trying to understand him and the effects that the drugs are having but I'm finding it really, really hard. He's very 'random' is confused, repeats himself. I can cope with this but I can't cope with the way alcohol affects him. Even small amounts of alcohol effect him but I can't convince him that he shouldn't mix drink and drugs.

Does anyone have any advice they can give me on how to cope and what I can do to help?

Many thanks

angie42
20-06-08, 12:19
i have been sufferingfrom palpatations for 5 years and i am really suffering from panic and anxiety so doc wants me to go on citalopram i am really scared cause i noticed side effects could be palpatations which i already have do u think it safe enough to take please help

nickypicky
03-07-08, 08:46
:) Hi, im new to this forum and it has been really interesting to read peoples comments on citalopra. I myself started on citalopram six weeks ago. I was suffering from anxiety and generally feeling really, really low.

At first, after reading the side effects, I was really frightened to start my medication, but im now so glad I did. Yes, I did experience side effects, ie cold and hot rushes through body, difficulty in sleeping, loss of appetite and brief periods of lower than normal moods, however I am now back to feeling my normal self and wow what a difference that makes.

I myself also suffer from palpitations, but please take it from me these tablets did not make them any worse, in fact because i am now feeling calmer and happier I do not notice them as much, by the way I am on 10mgs.

decca
03-07-08, 12:13
Hi,
About 9 weeks ago I was suffering what my Doc. called multiple symptom anxiety, I had dizzyness,nausea,palpitations,racing heart,panic attacks, severe anxiety ,scared me just looking out the window and the tension in my stomach and muscles was unbearable like every nerve in my body was on edge.
My Doc prescribed Citalopram but being scared of the side effects people were talking about on here I DIDN'T start taking them, I also talked it over with my therapist ( had 6 sessions of CTB ) and he said I wasn't showing any signs of Depression.
That was 9 weeks ago and today without taking the meds I feel almost back to my old self just get a little bit of early morning tension but I can cope with that.

Best wishes
Decca.

nickypicky
03-07-08, 13:26
decca, Well done in helping yourself withot the help of medication that takes a very strong person. You should be proud of yourself.

Nickypicky

decca
03-07-08, 17:50
Thanks nickyp,
It feels good to have "me" back again,well for the majority of the time anyway.
The point I was making is - if I'd started the Citalopram I would be saying that 8 weeks on it's really worked for me but in actual fact I've got better anyway without it.
I don't think I'm special or strong just made myself face my fears and gradually one by one come to terms with it and re-acustomed myself to how I was before the "alien" took over. just kept saying " I did it before and I can do it again now"

Best wishes
Decca.

nickypicky
03-07-08, 18:11
:) Decca I know exactly what you mean about trying to sort yourself out withoout the use of medication. I myself have suffered from panic and anxiety on and off for years and always manage without medication. However on this particular occasion I just knew in my heart of heart that i would not be able to beat this on my own and so with a lot of thought and doubts, i decided to seek help from the doctor. It may be the case that i would of felt better by this time without the use of citalopram, but deep down in my case i know that they have helped. Nice to discuss this subject though, it makes you realise that your not alone.

NICKY:)

decca
03-07-08, 18:18
Yea I agree - everyone should go with their gut feeling regarding meds and it's really helpful to talk to other sufferers about things,that's why this site is so fantastic.
Decca.

Cathy V
03-07-08, 19:14
I must admit that reading all the posts, past and present about this drug it makes me wonder why the docs pescribe it in the first place. I mean there are, or used to be drugs around for anxiety that worked well without the awful 'run-up' period, and they certainly didnt give people such severe reactions when first taking them. Ok i know no drug is ideal, but since they all have some withdrawal problems when coming off them, surely some of the others would be better? im thinking of diazepam, lorazepam (ativan) etc...all older drugs but they didnt make people so ill in this way.

Any thoughts on this decca? how long has citolopram been around? it seems to be the only drug the docs pescribe nowadays...but i could be wrong (have been known to be :D )

Cathy xxx

decca
03-07-08, 20:13
Hi Cath.
Prozac came out circa 1970 but was prescribed mainly for Depression and was replaced by Citalopram circa 1989 strangly about the same time as Professor Heather Ashton published her first paper on Benzo addiction and tollerance,(the full paper came out circa 2001).
Professor Ashton's hypothesis made doctors wary of prescribing Benzo's and SSRI's, especially Citalopram, became a popular replacement not only for depression but for all manor ailments as they were supposedly "well tolerated".

Ever since the Ashton manual came out there seems to be a lot of shouting about the use of Benzo's but very little seems to have been mentioned about the 2004 report linking SSRI's to juvenile suicide except for a "black box warning " on the packet insert.
Benzo's especially Diazepam have been shown to be the best quick acting anxiolitic drug but does come with the possible risk of addiction for some individuals in long term use and must be handled with care.

I think SSRI's are invaluable in the treatment of severe depression but for anxiety and panic disorders I prefer a well managed quick fix such as Diazepam.

Best wishes
Decca.

Cathy V
03-07-08, 20:50
Thanks for the info decca...fantastic knowledge of this, where were you when we needed you at the MIND org in the 80's? and dont say too spaced out to be of any use!

Take care you too xxx

Sorry to sabotage your posts Suzy but what this man knows about these drugs is amazing.

Best wishes
Cath xxxx :)

decca
03-07-08, 21:56
:blush:

1980's I think that was my 19th nervous breakdown, lol.
Oh no that '66 wasn't it ( Stones)
I wish I was there Cath.

Decca

flojo
05-07-08, 08:58
I was given citalopram for depression and was presribed 40mg. Ive never taken any medications before but was assured this dose would be fine. I took 1 tablet in the morning at 7.30am and by 9am I was not well!! I felt progressively stranger until I began shaking, I passed out with mild convulsions and breathing irregularities, came to after about 10 minutes, felt very spaced out still then another wave came over me and my head felt like it was going to explode. I passed out again and came to projectile vomiting. I felt incredibly "mashed" all morning but luckily my partner had been there to look after me. Incredibly the doctor didnt seem to bothered, even suggested it was a co-incidence and did i want to try again the next day!!!! He has now prescribed me fluoxetine 20mg but i am too scared to try them at the moment as I really thought I was gonna die. Has anyone else been given 40mg as a starting dose????

decca
05-07-08, 12:23
flojo,
Wow that was a bad reaction, were you taking any other meds, even over the conter ones that might have interacted with the Citalopram,St Johns wort for example ?.
I don't know what your history is but 10mg is the normal starting dose for a week then increased after that, people that have bad side effects can usually "jump off" in the first week but into the 2nd week should seek medical advice before discontinuing.
Has your Doc. suggested therapy at all ?
( This was advice given to me by my Doctor at my last clinic)

Best wishes
Decca.

Pink Panic
05-07-08, 12:24
40mg as a starting dose .... NO way could i have tolerated that. :ohmy:

I was in a state after taking 10 mg!!! ..... sick, sitting listless staring at the walls, spaced out, slurring my words and feeling generally drunk but not happy drunk .... i was also told to try another one the next day!!! .... NO thank you!! :ohmy:
My Psych actually said that because this happened it's a marker that a drug can actually be beneficial for you!!! :unsure:

pink daisy
05-07-08, 12:43
Hi

I am on 10mg Citalopram and it's my 12th day on it.. yes i felt crap for a few days but its passed now.. I am getting spasms but its setteling now.

All mediacation takes a while to settle.. having side affects fo a week or more is nothing compared to living with severe anxiety for years!! I have had severe anxiety and agoarphobia since the age of 13, and never been on medication properly before, you hea good and bad storys about all medication its diffrent for everyone.. but if we dont try it we wont know if its going to work, and if you do get bad side effects from some medication just try and relax and chill as they normally pass in a week or so!! If we keep reading all the side effects on the packets and googling them all time it's just going to add anxiety and even more symptoms!! plus I really think if there is any posts about people wanting help about side effect etc.. I think if you can relate well just say that!! but I dont think listing all how you felt really helps the person who needs advice in the first place as its just going to make them feel alot wose.. like I said
is diffrent for everyone so if one person gets some side effects doesent mean you will be the same!!!

The more positive you are about anything in life helps you through the bad

Kate xx

please note!! remember that anyone who posts are trying to get people to try and reduce there anxiety about taking the medication.. so help as much as possible please xx

medbury27
05-07-08, 13:46
Hi

I have been on Citalopram for nearly 4 weeks I'm having good and bad days but feel I still have side effects from the Citalopram especially tummy upset. Has anyone else taken this long for it to settle I'm on 10mgs.

Thanks for any help.

Cathy V
05-07-08, 14:17
Kate, I think its just giving an honest opinion of the drug, and its natural to give both sides. I had a bad reaction to propranolol and had to change meds, but many other ppl have been fine on it. But if a member asks for ppl to give their experience of it you're gonna get both sides. Citalopram has been ok for you...well done, but what if it hadnt been? I understand what you mean about not making ppl nervous about taking meds, but you cant give just the nice bits. If ppl dont want to know both sides they shouldnt ask.

Best wishes
Cathy xxx :)

nickypicky
05-07-08, 14:31
:D I was started on citalopram nearly six weeks ago. I was very worried about taking these meds, as like most people I automatically referred to the side effects and was scared witless. However i decided to take the plunge, and boy was I glad I did, I now feel much more positive and happy. I was started on 10mg, and that suited me, i think 40mg is way to high to start someone on, poor thing!, my brother in law was on 40mg but only after the dose was upped gradually so his body had time to adapt. If you can handle the side effects for the first couple of weeks, and keep saying to yourself, "its only my body adjusting", then you will feel the benefits, good luck :) .

Nicky.

Pink Panic
06-07-08, 11:44
Hi

I am on 10mg Citalopram and it's my 12th day on it.. yes i felt crap for a few days but its passed now.. I am getting spasms but its setteling now.

All mediacation takes a while to settle.. having side affects fo a week or more is nothing compared to living with severe anxiety for years!! I have had severe anxiety and agoarphobia since the age of 13, and never been on medication properly before, you hea good and bad storys about all medication its diffrent for everyone.. but if we dont try it we wont know if its going to work, and if you do get bad side effects from some medication just try and relax and chill as they normally pass in a week or so!! If we keep reading all the side effects on the packets and googling them all time it's just going to add anxiety and even more symptoms!! plus I really think if there is any posts about people wanting help about side effect etc.. I think if you can relate well just say that!! but I dont think listing all how you felt really helps the person who needs advice in the first place as its just going to make them feel alot wose.. like I said
is diffrent for everyone so if one person gets some side effects doesent mean you will be the same!!!

The more positive you are about anything in life helps you through the bad

Kate xx

please note!! remember that anyone who posts are trying to get people to try and reduce there anxiety about taking the medication.. so help as much as possible please xx

Hi again

Having side effects from medication for me IS worse than living with severe anxiety/agoraphobia !!!!
I am happy that Citralopram seems to be working for you and i wish you continued success ...... in a perfect world it would work for everyone with an anxiety problem but life isn't like that so decisions have to be made and that's where Forums like this one come into their own as people can share their experiences both GOOD and BAD and others can make an informed decisions whether to use medication or not!

Pink

flojo
06-07-08, 21:02
flojo,
Wow that was a bad reaction, were you taking any other meds, even over the conter ones that might have interacted with the Citalopram,St Johns wort for example ?.
I don't know what your history is but 10mg is the normal starting dose for a week then increased after that, people that have bad side effects can usually "jump off" in the first week but into the 2nd week should seek medical advice before discontinuing.
Has your Doc. suggested therapy at all ?

Best wishes
Decca.
I hadnt taken any other meds, dont even usually take painkillers unless i have a severe migraine and havent taken any herbal remedies either so taking any tablet is a big deal for me and this has done nothing to convince me that it os good!! The doc i saw was not my usual one , he was just qualified or still training i think so i now feel that he was at fault for giving me such a big dose.
I dont want to scare anyone off taking their medication at all, just interested to see if anyone else had reacted like me or had such a strong starting dose.
Thanks for everyones comments so far
xxx

flojo
06-07-08, 21:05
I hadnt taken any other meds, dont even usually take painkillers unless i have a severe migraine and havent taken any herbal remedies either so taking any tablet is a big deal for me and this has done nothing to convince me that it os good!! The doc i saw was not my usual one , he was just qualified or still training i think so i now feel that he was at fault for giving me such a big dose.
I dont want to scare anyone off taking their medication at all, just interested to see if anyone else had reacted like me or had such a strong starting dose.
Thanks for everyones comments so far
xxx
Im on waiting list for pyschotherapy but will take 3mths + im told!!

bellabum
29-07-08, 17:26
I've been prescribed citalopram, which I started taking 10 day ago. On Sunday I upped the dose to 20mg, as instructed. Boy do I feel bad! This morning I almost fainted and I feel incredibly sick and tired and feel like I can't breathe, much worse than the first few days at 10mg.

I ahve to see my doc next week - do you think I should lower the dose to 10mg again until I see her?

DeeperDown
29-07-08, 18:54
I think you should ring your surgery and get an appointment asap. Not because I think you are at risk or because I think that the citalopram are not working (in fact what you describe is fairly normal for someone going up to 20mg for the first time), but because you are clearly worried about it and its not helping your general health. You shouldn't have to wait a week to find out what to do, nor rely on advice from (albeit well-meaning) lay people. You are ill, you are having problems, and you need help, that is what they are there for.

If you can't or don't want to do that, then at least be reassured that it happened to me (just as you described) during one of my many upgrades. I got through it, it was hell but I got through it, and if you can hang on a few more days I am sure you will to. But it might help you much more to hear your GP say those words.

DD

steviebabe98
29-07-08, 19:04
Hiya I have been on citalopram for over 2 years, and because im going through a bad patch my Dr has just increased them to 40mg. I tried to come off them a year ago thinking im fine but soon started taking them again. any reduction should definitely be discussed with the Doc. take care

Stevie

bellabum
30-07-08, 20:10
Unfortunately, my GP (the one who I actually want to see because she is so helpful) is on holiday until next week.

I just took one tablet last night (10mg) and although I haven't felt wonderful today, I haven't felt as bad as I did yesterday.

To be honest, tablets always seem to affect me so maybe I just need the 10mg - I have two small children, so I don't want to be fainting and leaving them to try to pick me up off the floor!

happyflower
11-08-08, 23:18
Hi, I'm new here, but worried about citalopram.
I was prescribed last week and after worrying about taking them I started yesterday.
I'm on 20mg, today has been terrible, I can't stop shaking, it feels like I have the tremmors inside and out, and now I feel nausious as well and my tummy is not happy and I've had a headache all day and I'm tired but not sleepy.
I don't like it, I said to my Dr that I don't like taking med, I was put on seroxat years ago and came off them when the side effects were worse than what they were meant to be treating, in fact the drugs seemed to make me upset!
Has anyone else had this? Does it pass? Should I come off them?

liveinhope
12-08-08, 10:20
i have suffered from clinical depression for years, and was on prozac for 3 years but unfortunately it had stopped working, the doctor has now put me on citalopram and i too have had the headaches, the shakes, feeling woozy, tired, lethargic etc so it is somewhat refreshing to hear that if i stick with it, these side effects should go away. Some of the posts from people who have said they managed to "pull themselves together" are lucky, not all of us are in such a fortunate position and it's hard to explain to people why depression and anxiety is an illness not just a state of mind. I tried everything but drugs for 4 years after i was diagnosed, and gradually got so bad that I had driven everyone away and was living in a dump because I couldn't be bothered to clean the house or clean my self!

SilverLining
16-08-08, 12:08
Reading all the posts have not help me decide at all /-: not you guys fault, your answers have been very honest and informative... I think if one is unsure, they only want to hear reassurance and as you all say, the course is not all smooth. I have to make a decision to take these tables, I was prescribed them for anxiety and panic attacks. Though I may need a little help to get me over them, I am not in a position to have side effects that will hinder me driving, or do my work (which is one cause for anxiety anyway!) I'm a single mum, so do not want to be ill. thing is no tablet will cure the things that are causing me to feel the way I do, I just need something to help me cope with the occurances so I can move on and be myself again.. My daughter goes into hospital in two weeks and I have to be on form them, I can't have the tablets messing me up like some of the post have suggested. Are the effect really that bad? or should one just allow for the minor adjustment? ...... I'll read some more, and decide later -x-

Lujza7
16-08-08, 14:13
Hi everybody!

I am new here. After taking citalopram 1a mg for a week I dont get my monthly period (it should have started the 13th). I made a pregnancy test - negative. Could the delay be a side effect?

celeste
16-08-08, 15:11
I have just started Citalopram 20mg 3 days ago. I have read all through this thread & the gist seems to be to be bear with it it gets better.

I am weaning off amitryptiline & flupenthixol at the same time.

Today i have felt awfully anxious & shakey.
I have just spent 1 1/2 hours crying over my boyfriend of 10 weeks! He knew about my anxiety issues from the start so he's extremely caring & understanding. He kept telling me he loved me which made me cry even more!

So do i contunue taking & grin & bear the initial side effects?

Lujza7
17-08-08, 13:51
Hi Celeste!

You feel anxious, because Citalopram (and all antidepressive medicin) reaches the effect only after 2-3 weeks. Itt has 2 effects:
1) After just a few days, you get energy, but your mood is still the same
2) The medication changes your mood only after 2-3 weeks.

so untill that you can even feel more anxious, sad, but hold on, it can bee worth it.

I think the worst side effect is the sexual (loss of apetite) and thats serious, itt can lead to break up!

watertheatre
17-08-08, 14:05
been on these for nearly three weeks now on 10mg felt sick the third day and a little onedge the first week but as saidin the other posts oncethe side effects go you do feel alot better.hope this helps and you feel better soon.

celeste
17-08-08, 14:27
Thankyou for your replies. I guess I'ma bit wary as i had a terrible reaction to Seroxat 7 years ago & really don't want a repeat experience. I have read here that its easy to blame every little thing i feel on the Citalopram, which is not to say I wouldn't have felt those things anyway.

4th day today & feel OK. if a bit edgy. I'll stick wit it if it means I will feel better in the long run.
Thanks again

BabyJo
25-08-08, 22:14
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and registered because of this very thread.

I started feeling depressed about a year ago from a series of nasty events. Being in denial about depression I turned to cannabis to calm myself down and dull the thoughts I was having. I was using it daily for the past 3 months but stopped completely just the friday past, after finally seeing a doctor and she prescribed me with Citalopram. I took my first of these 2 days ago and still feel like hell.

Within half an hour I felt dizzy so went for a lie down and was met with an increased heart rate which pounded in my head. I got out of bed because I felt restless and panicky because of these side effects. I litterally staggered back to the living room and within 5 minutes I was violently sick. The next day I was sick twice, and today have been wandering around in a daze, with a fuzzy and heavy head. Hardly ate a thing in 2 days.

I called the doctor who told me I was having side effects to the Cit, and suggested I take one of the Oxazepam tablets I was also subscribed.

I don't want to take the Oxazepam or the Cit, because I have never felt so physically ill and drained as how I do now.

Prof
28-08-08, 11:46
Well, I am a little worried, am on Day 2, and looking here you guys are having some issues with this stuff. Bit of background, suffered ptsd after 9/11 (was there for 3 months after the planes hit) plus breakdown following divorce (1st one) then split from family, my business is struggling... I though I was going mad, just had 3 weeks of diazapam... Now on day2 of Citalopram, no side effects, been singing, smiling, focussed on work, This is wonderful stuff... (well day 2 anyway):yesyes: will keep you informed

Louloubelle
28-08-08, 12:09
I took my first Citalopram tablet last night just after dinner, I was really worried I'd have a bad reaction but felt fine. Mind you today my mouth is really dry and I feel a bit thirstier than usual, also one of my fingers really aches...not sure if that's related though :D strangely enough I do feel slightly more positive today too...

Northerner
28-08-08, 15:09
I think it's extrememly important for people visting these pages who are hesitant of taking such medicines to try to remember that each and every drug has the ability to affect everyone in a different way.

Speaking as someone who has used this for around a year now, with no major side effects at all, and as a Psychology student with a modicum of understanding in this area, it's important for people to of course be aware of what they are entering into when using medication, but also try not to read too much into the experiences of others. What has happened to others may not, and probably will not happen to you.

Unfortunately with drugs of this type, trial and error can sometimes be the only way of finding one which suits you.

It's important to remember also, that Citalopram has a number of uses, and is regarded by many doctors as one of the most effective in terms of combatting anxiety. Side effects are often transient, but try not to be too afraid of these as they almost always pass.

good luck all

iworryallthetime
28-08-08, 17:06
Hi there , i to have been perscribed Citalpram ,suffer very bad health anx and have been in denial for a long time ,all started when i had bad tummy bug almost 2 years ago wiped through the whole family ,then for months after my BM have never recovered , to cut a long story, have been back and back to doc thinking the worst who said it is IBS .That seem to trigger off something in me that since then im convinced i have all sorts of health problems ,reffured myself to gastrologyst where i had all sorts of tests to put my mind to rest and came out with same conclusion IBS caused by bad bug but maintained by my constant anxiety ,vicious circle ...

so my doc wants me to try these pills and says it will really help me ,but im so scared about the poss side effects i may have ....

gabrielle0584
29-08-08, 18:46
Hi, i'm nervous about taking these pills i've just been prescribed (10mg). I took some different antidepressants about 2 weeks ago that I was prescribed and had to leave work as the drowsiness was unbearable - I slept for 1 1/2 days solid. I'm worried that this will give me the same side effect...Also some of you mentioned feeling sick, which is already one of my symptoms from the panic/depression/whatever it is the doctor sees as wrong with me - so I'm worried about this getting even worse. As you can probably already tell I worry so much which is partially the reason I've reached this point! Does anyone else not really understand what exactly is wrong with them and whether it's really a serious medical illness? I always feel like i'm being a hypochondriac and that people will think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill...I'm worried that the side effects will make me worse and people (my boyfriend especially) will think that I'm hamming it up because I've been prescribed pills...I know this is all probably completely irrational but I can't help worrying! Help?! x

Deebee020
02-09-08, 19:05
Hi All!

Many thanks for your posts. I have been prescribed Citalopram 20 mg today by my new doctor. I have suffered from panic disorder and agrophobia since January 2008 - not long compared to some but feels like forever to me. I just haven't felt myself and I don't know what tirggered this entire thing. I have real issues on planes and trains, lecture theatres, in fact anywhere I can't escape from easily. I am unable to study and feel like I just can't cope and no one can help me. This is all so ridiculous sounding, I used to be such a fun chatty person, now I need to get myself blind drunk just to cope with social occasions. I have always been a bit highly strung and very ambitious and competitve though and I guess that impacts upon my self esteem. I have also suffered avoidence - mostly around food ie seafood and nuts as I am terrified of anaphylactic reactions - even though I have never suffered any before (apart from a reaciton to doxycycline antibiotics).

Which leads me to my concern, a dangerous side effect of Citalopram is anaphylactic reactions, my BIGGEST fear! I don't know how I can bring myself to take this medicine, as with my pessimism I am likely to be that one person who suffers this rare reaction. Likewise, I didn't admit to the doctor, but I have had some thoughts of suicide, but not recently. I didn't realise the medicine may cause this to happen again. After reading everyone's experiences above I am very worried about this medicine. I have tried Cognitive Behavioural Therepy and hated it. I hate the way that the therapist would treat you as if you were a mad person liable to snap at any minute. I already feel insane I don't need anyone else to make me feel worse.

What are the other alternatives? Should I start this drug? I have to wait a few days for the St John's Wort I've been taking to pass through my system. I am not sure I can bear some of the symptoms people have suffered whilst studying at uni. And what if I am that one in 10,000 who has anaphylactic shock? God I feel trapped, live with the panic or go through this hell.

I am sorry for the long post - it's just good to find this thread and others out there.

Cheers
D
x

oldhandatthis
02-09-08, 21:07
sounds like the worry about anaphylaptic shock is just part of your anxiety??

If your doctor thinks you need Citalopram you should give it a go, surely it's worth a try?

You might feel bad for a few days, but then again you might not. If you do, at least you know it is a side effect and will pass

good luck

Tori M
03-09-08, 12:06
Hi
I am new to this forum and started on citalopram about 8 weeks ago. I was diagnosed with depression and panic attacks earlier in the year and at first resisted medication.

Started on 10mg and although I was panic attacks were worse, slept all the while and felt dizzy the first 10 days, I continued. These effects have now finished.

I was prescribed citalopram after trying fluoxitine and another antidepressant I can't remeber the name of and neither of them suited me at all. the side effects of citalopram were so much better than the side effects of the others - these seem to suit me better.

Dose was increased to 20mg after 2 weeks and 3 weeks later increased to 30mg which I have now been on for 4 1/2 weeks.

Yes the panic attacks have gone but I still feel depressed. I have been signed off work for 5 months in total now with depression now and have not left the house for the past 6 weeks. My Doctor has this lovely system where you have telephone consultaions so doesn't know that I can't leave the house.

I know this can't continue but I am so scared about trying other pills because of the side effects experienced. Do I stick with the ones that have no side effects or up this dose - am I likely to get side effects with a higher dose?

I think the side effects passed over me because they were so much better than the previous pills. Just so worried now that I have no effects that an increased dose will bring them on.

I just don't know what to do, all I know is this must stop

Emilys
03-09-08, 16:11
I have had my first doctors app about my anxiety/depression/mood swings today in 2 years.

(when i went in 2006 they gave me valium and i couldnt take it because of the side effects.)

today my new doctor has told me she is not sure if im suffering from PMDD or depression.
and perscribed me citroplam but again after reading this im not sure i can deal with 2/3 weeks of feeling worse then i do???

what do i do?
try it? or do nothing again??

:doh:

lesleya
03-09-08, 21:10
I was prescribed citalopram on saturday but after reading posts here and reading the information leaflet in the box of tablets ive decided not to take them as i dont think i could cope with feeling any worse than i do when im feeling really bad...if you know what i mean. Im sure they've hepled some people but im afraid im just not brave enough right now to take the chance. I mean a the gp that gave me them based it on a one page questionaire on depression and anxiety with a scoring system of 1 - 3 so im afraid that doesnt fill me with a lot of confidence.
I have my off days and then i have days where im not too bad, so ive decided im just going to muddle through as best i can without any meds.

andrewc
03-09-08, 23:34
Hi Guys

I understand fully what you are all on about being scared to take Citalopram. I too was prescribed Citalopram 1 year ago when I had panic/anxiety/depression and agoraphobia. I was also very scared to take them but decided I had to do something. I started on 20mg and yes I got a few side effects the first 4-5 days but these were bearable. I was then increased to 30mg and then onto 40mg. The tablets kicked in after 12 days and I began to feel better. I am now fine and back to my old self and have been reducng the Citalopram. I am now on 15mg and next month to 10mg and cut down completely. They worked well for me so I wish you all the best of luck. As for the side effects on the leaflet dont worry too much because ordinary pain killers have got more listed on their leaflets. It doenst mean you will get any of them.

Best of luck

Andy

kittycay
04-09-08, 21:36
Hi All!

Many thanks for your posts. I have been prescribed Citalopram 20 mg today by my new doctor. I have suffered from panic disorder and agrophobia since January 2008 - not long compared to some but feels like forever to me. I just haven't felt myself and I don't know what tirggered this entire thing. I have real issues on planes and trains, lecture theatres, in fact anywhere I can't escape from easily. I am unable to study and feel like I just can't cope and no one can help me. This is all so ridiculous sounding, I used to be such a fun chatty person, now I need to get myself blind drunk just to cope with social occasions. I have always been a bit highly strung and very ambitious and competitve though and I guess that impacts upon my self esteem. I have also suffered avoidence - mostly around food ie seafood and nuts as I am terrified of anaphylactic reactions - even though I have never suffered any before (apart from a reaciton to doxycycline antibiotics).

Which leads me to my concern, a dangerous side effect of Citalopram is anaphylactic reactions, my BIGGEST fear! I don't know how I can bring myself to take this medicine, as with my pessimism I am likely to be that one person who suffers this rare reaction. Likewise, I didn't admit to the doctor, but I have had some thoughts of suicide, but not recently. I didn't realise the medicine may cause this to happen again. After reading everyone's experiences above I am very worried about this medicine. I have tried Cognitive Behavioural Therepy and hated it. I hate the way that the therapist would treat you as if you were a mad person liable to snap at any minute. I already feel insane I don't need anyone else to make me feel worse.

What are the other alternatives? Should I start this drug? I have to wait a few days for the St John's Wort I've been taking to pass through my system. I am not sure I can bear some of the symptoms people have suffered whilst studying at uni. And what if I am that one in 10,000 who has anaphylactic shock? God I feel trapped, live with the panic or go through this hell.

I am sorry for the long post - it's just good to find this thread and others out there.

Cheers
D
x

Hello there,

I have been prescribed this medicine today and I am scared silly about taking it after reading the leaflet, I have had panic attacks for 2 years now and can't drive my car anymore as I feel trapped when at lights/roadworks or on dual carriagways wihout exits near me, my first panic happened on the M6 in a jam and its gone from there, I have decided not to take them and I have gone onto 5-HTP from holland and barret as that boosts your serotine levels in much the same way. I used to panic about shops and going out but I have got over those myself without tablets so I am going to get through this one as well, don't know how but I will not let it beat me. The feeling of being trapped is horrendous isn't it?
I also worry about everything and think I have got everything wrong with me or I will have, but these have become less now as I have started eating better and getting some excersise I have bought a bike and go for rides only small ones as I panicked when I was in a field as I could not see the way out, but just had to stay calm, it does pass.

wml24
05-09-08, 01:01
Hi.

I've been on 20 mgs of citalopram for anxiety and depression for about four weeks. It has calmed me down a bit but has done nothing for the depression. Regarding side effects, I have three: the sexual one,:blush:, very vivid dreams, and involuntarily muscle twitches ... legs, arms, back, stomach, head, etc. -- really annoying. I know the first SE is very common, but has anyone else experienced the dreams or twitching? If so, do they ever get better? My pdoc. doesn't seem concerned, but then, he doesn't have to put up with them!

Before this, I was on fluoxetine for many years, but it seemed to stop working. I came off that about the same time I start the citalopram, so maybe what I think are side effects are just a few withdrawal symptoms from the fluoxetine because I was on it for so long.

Deebee020
05-09-08, 15:41
Hey all

Many thanks for your replies. I am going to try the Citalopram on Sunday. So wish me luck!

After opening up to a couple of friends I found that they have take Citalopram in the past and both found it to be good, except one of them said she was sleepy all the time. But no major side effects besides. I also have a great flatmate who has offered to keep an eye on me. And Andy's post makes sense, normal pain killers have just as many warnings. I guess it's the lesser of two evils, either kill myself with anxiety or get poisoned by medicine while at least fighting to get my life back. I'm going to go with the latter, because if it works it'll be great to be me again.

Cheers
D
x

petmad
05-09-08, 18:27
I have now been on Citalopram for just over a week, to start with I felt terrible with nauseas, tiredness, couldn't sleep at night and stomach pains but now I feel much better, I was prescribed 20mgs but broke them in half and have been taking 10mgs because of the ill feelings I have had. I am now thinking of taking the 20mgs again as i feel my body has adjusted.
I don't feel a great deal different but I do feel calmer and not so anxious and worried about the slightest thing.
I was also worried about going on meds but if they make me feel better and I am a nicer person to all around me, then its worth it!
Everyone is different and its definately worth a go.

take care x

mojopin
13-09-08, 06:16
hi people..

most people here have mentioned common side effects at the start of taking citalopram , nausea, tremors, ect actually anxiety is heightened for a while but just be patient its worth it, as has been said it hasnt worked for everyone but i have been taking it 10 years now -20mg- , just recently stopped ( thanks to the advice of my dull gp ) but felt very s**tty indeed so started again now i am getting some cold rushes , but i know that this will pass....as after one week i was dealing with things better and felt more in control...

people with severe anxiety will notice a pretty much immediate effect

one thing you shouldnt do though is worry about these symptoms at the start as if you read the instructions and have spoken to your shrink/doc you will see they are quite normal...

good luck!

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

purple to black
14-09-08, 18:01
Im hoping to start Citalopram tomorrow :( wish i didnt have too as im terrified to say the least, im anxious already and im scared of going into panic when i do take one. 3/4 days of increased anxiety compared to a lifetime of this horrible illness...i know what one seems more logical but try telling my brain that lol.

andymac
15-09-08, 07:15
Hi - I'm a newbie to all of this, and the experiences posted here are a great help. I've been prescribed 10mg of Citalopram and haven't opened the box since buying them on Saturday. Like most of us I'm worried that the initial side effects will have an even greater effect on my situation (marital, professional etc.) than my condition already has, but I guess the long-term situation is what's important. Perhaps my wife will actually recognise that I've got a problem (that's a whole new thread... might search for that later).
What's scarey are the posts talking of 10 years of reliance on this drug, which is something I really want to avoid, but I need to deal with it, so I think I'm going to take them.
Thanks again for all the info.
Take care
Andy

horlicks
15-09-08, 19:01
I have just started taking citalopram four days ago. My doctor prescribed 20mg but I think this is too high, as I feel sick and have stomach pains. I wont be able to see my doctor for a few days now, as I work awkward hours, but I wonder if it is o.k. to cut a tablet in two and take half to see if this is better.

Deebee020
17-09-08, 14:49
Hey all!

I've been on Citalopram from 10 days now. It's going ok. The first night was hard, I couldn't sleep and the headache was unbearable. But then after that it just went very suddenly (I still get headaches but not so bad). Then I hit nausea and heavy heavy tiredness along with feeling very spaced out. The nausea and spaced-out-ness passed after about day 5. I did feel some mild anxiety increase but nothing unbearable. For the last three days I have suffered and upset stomach but today it is not so bad. I can't say I am completly anxiety free, but I have been told it can take up to two or three weeks for the medication to take full effect.

I find that I sleep very restlessly now and often wake up-the go back to sleep- the wake - then sleep again. As well as tossing and turning a lot and having vivid dreams. I used to be a very still quiet sleeper so this is new for me. Although I am not lacking in sleep, and I do feel rested, it's just a different sleep pattern.

The worst thing is the tiredness and lethargy. I love running, the gym etc but I am finding it very hard to get motiviated to do it and when I do go I have a very poor work out performance - my joints and muscles just hurt so much. Study-wise I've been focusing better though. Likewise, I've been coping well with London's packed morning transport system.

I was so scared to take this drug (see posts above) but it's no way near as bad as the leaflets make out, and I even started on 20 mg. It's just a matter of riding it out if you fall within the normal range of side effects.

So don't let side-effects put you off this medication.

D
xox

Shone
17-09-08, 21:31
this thread has been very interesting, like most on here i was prescribed Citalopram, i was wary at first and didnt take it for 3 days after reading about all the side effects and the people that had suffered badly on it, but i decided i had gone to the doctor this time because i couldnt cope any more with the anxiety attacks and she would not give me something that would not help so i started them, this was just over 5 weeks ago. yes the side effects the first couple of weeks were hard, i even considered stopping taking them but i kept telling myself it was just the meds and i was fine, now i am so glad i am on them at the moment, i am sleeping well for the first time in ages, even if i do wake a few times a night sometimes, but the best benefit is the fact that i actually feel like me again. I guess they work for some and maybe not for others, but keep trying or go back to the GP, dont suffer. I admire all the people that have managed to 'pull themselves together' or cope withour meds, they are very strong people and some day i hope that will be me again, but for now, the meds are helping me cope.

mojopin
18-09-08, 00:51
hi andy 10 mg is not a huge dose , so it should be even easier to come off,,,good luck...

mollymandy
21-09-08, 20:13
Hi all,

I have been taking Citalopram for a week now and although clearly some people do have very bad side effects, for those worried about taking it - I have found that starting with a 10mg dose has not made me feel too bad at all. I have felt slightly sick at times and had some headaches, but nothing more than that. My doctor did emphasise that it is really important to start with 10mg (which she told me to take for 10 days) and not 20mg as it does give your body time to adjust - so think that this is really important as lots of people seem to have been started off on 20mg.
I also was worried about the long term effects of not wanting to come off this medication, but having talked to my doctor - who specialises in anxiety - she suggested that with this prescription you should be able to come off it within the year as it should change the way your body reacts to situations and not make you need the drug to face problems.... maybe this is just very optimistic of her!

Fingers crossed though that this med starts to work! thanks for all the info from you all.......

x M

cheryl1967
13-10-08, 13:37
So I resorted to the old dictum: "Pull yourself together". Anyone using this stuff should be very careful.

Newsman[/quote]

I'm sorry you had a rough time Newsman but if we could pull ourselves together we wouldnt need the drugs. I don't think any of us want to go down this route. I have been through alot in the last 2 years and have been to the Dr's today. He gave me Citalopram. I have yet to take them. My Dr said I should have had them sooner instead of trying to "pull my socks up" myself.
I do hope you get well very soon. Take care.
Cheryl x

Richd
13-10-08, 23:27
I first went on citalopram about 4 years ago after the onset of anxiety and depression. I can remember feeling really spaced out at first, didn't have too much sickness I don't think, but eventually I found myself getting back to normal. The only thing I found uncomfortable was the way it changed my thought pattern. I couldn't think on anything for too long, and I couldn't think very deeply either. In a way I suppose that's meant to be the desired effect, and it did help me at the time, my depression and anxiety eased a lot. But after about a year I thought it time to come off them and try and live by myself again.

But I was unable to, when I came off them everything started up again, so I went back on them.

Then in April this year I did come off them again. I was ok then for a few months, but now it's all started up again. Only this time I'm gonna try and go at it under my own steam, without the citalopram. I don't feel comfortable with the way it took over my thoughts, I had less control over myself on them for sure.

Again, I guess that's the whole point in them, so that you don't have to experience the more unsavoury parts of yourself which cause the depression and anxiety. But I am very much of the belief that anti-depressents mask your symptoms rather than get rid of them. I am now working on getting rid of them once and for all.

But if it is simple relief you're looking for, there is no reason why you shouldn't start them.

briansmith
16-10-08, 21:00
your comments have been very helpfull i have just started 40mg.

Jennab114
17-10-08, 12:23
I have had glandular fever for a year so have spent most of this year ill and feeling very low. Things have gotten worse for me with issues at work and home life. I went to the doctor yesterday as i feel i suffer from anxiety as well as very low moods. Some mornings i cant get out of bed or brush teeth. When i have a headache i think i have a tumor and im going to die. Reading all of these possible side effects that some people have experienced is really making me panic. My doctor has prescribed me 20mg. I took my first one at 7am (before i read all of this!!) I feel really sick, i have just tried to eat my lunch but took few mouth fulls and couldnt eat any more. I feel a little spaced out and i dont like it!! I have never taken any drugs like this before, i didnt want to take them in the first place but due to family being worried my partner took me to the doctors. Im only 22. I dont know to stop now or to carry on taking them?

LisaT
17-10-08, 16:49
I've been on citalopram for almost 4 weeks. First week on 10mgs I was ok went up to 20mgs after 10 days, didn't seem to have any side effects until this week, got more anxious and jumpy and get this feeling like a flush that dosen't go away, I feel hot and dry if that makes sense. I don't know whether its anxiety or side effects, can anyone relate?

Lori
17-10-08, 21:25
Hi folks, im new to this forum and looking for some advice please. Been back on citalopram20mgs for 10 days now,after being off them for 6 months or so. However on day 5 i experienced something so horrible i ended up goin to hospital! Felt very faint wth hot/cold sweats and had this very bizarre cold/burning(hard to explain) sensation through the middle of my body. Felt so bad afterwards my friend took me to casualty....but sent home with "all clear".
Is this the Hot/cold rushes i have read some people describing on this forum ? i dont remember anything like this when i was on them before.
Can anyone help me ?
Thanx x

humanhamster
18-10-08, 12:02
Hi people, I'm new here and looking for people to discuss my feelings with. I've been feeling low for about a year and after suffering from depression several times in my life over the past 7 years I didn't want to admit that it had got hold of me again. Everythings finally come to a head though as I've been taking out my depression on my boyfriend, I don't mean too but I'm just not me at the minute. After having a heart to heart with my boyfriend on Tuesday and him finally admitting how much I'm hurting him I realised it was time to go and get help. I went to the doctors yesterday and he gave me Citalopram. I've started on 20mg today, took my first pill 30 minutes ago. I'm a bit anxious about taking them after reading all your posts about the side effects. It's got so bad though I'm willing to try anything to get better, really don't want to hurt me boyfriend or me anymore.

mini_mog
18-10-08, 15:44
Hi people, I'm new here and looking for people to discuss my feelings with. I've been feeling low for about a year and after suffering from depression several times in my life over the past 7 years I didn't want to admit that it had got hold of me again. Everythings finally come to a head though as I've been taking out my depression on my boyfriend, I don't mean too but I'm just not me at the minute. After having a heart to heart with my boyfriend on Tuesday and him finally admitting how much I'm hurting him I realised it was time to go and get help. I went to the doctors yesterday and he gave me Citalopram. I've started on 20mg today, took my first pill 30 minutes ago. I'm a bit anxious about taking them after reading all your posts about the side effects. It's got so bad though I'm willing to try anything to get better, really don't want to hurt me boyfriend or me anymore.

hi there, im new too and was prescibed citalopram yesterday, will take 1st one in the morning tomorrow. like you im anxious about taking them, but i am hoping they will help with the anxiety and worrying, ive managed to convince myself that a few days of feeling wierd is probably worth feeling much better and happier long term. let us know how you get on with them. ill report back tomorrow evening:)

ND
20-10-08, 11:04
hello to all

I started citalopram 4 days ago, 10mg at night, Top 4 SE: nausea, leg weakness, loss of appetite, stomach cramps. For me being 42 years old with 2 kids i had no choice but to try everything!! so i think it really depends on how your life is settle if you choose to take meds or try something else.

good luck to all of you.

ND
20-10-08, 11:33
hi there, im new too and was prescibed citalopram yesterday, will take 1st one in the morning tomorrow. like you im anxious about taking them, but i am hoping they will help with the anxiety and worrying, ive managed to convince myself that a few days of feeling wierd is probably worth feeling much better and happier long term. let us know how you get on with them. ill report back tomorrow evening:)

so how was your first day?

ND
20-10-08, 14:29
Hi folks, im new to this forum and looking for some advice please. Been back on citalopram20mgs for 10 days now,after being off them for 6 months or so. However on day 5 i experienced something so horrible i ended up goin to hospital! Felt very faint wth hot/cold sweats and had this very bizarre cold/burning(hard to explain) sensation through the middle of my body. Felt so bad afterwards my friend took me to casualty....but sent home with "all clear".
Is this the Hot/cold rushes i have read some people describing on this forum ? i dont remember anything like this when i was on them before.
Can anyone help me ?
Thanx x

hi there, i am on 10mg day4 if i can help you i also experience cold/hot rushes around the abdomen and chest about 6 to 7 times daily. it last for 1 or 2 minutes and then stops.

Lori
20-10-08, 15:39
Hi there,thanks so much for ur reply:) That has made me feel a bit more reassured.
Thats now 2 wks ive been on them,and still seem to have a weak feeling in my limbs and sometimes a bit spaced out! also, my sleep is so disturbed...i wake 6-8 times a night:O
Aside from that im doing ok:)
Let me know how you get on wth yours,

Lori x

ND
20-10-08, 18:16
hi again
i have exacctly the same feelings + others like leg weakness specially in the morning, big nausea, tiredness in general, no sex drive at all!. I think the crucial point to move on is once you fully realise that those symptoms are completely due to the med and not to something else, i know it can be hard but reading the forum you realise that most of the guys are experiencing moreorless the same SE. Try to check on you about the time you take the med and the time you have various symptoms (i think they make a cycle ). For me i take it at night then i am destoyed during the day specially in the morning and around 3 afternoon then around 6 things start to get better. If you have nausea a tip can be to eat at any time of the day you feel better don t wait lunch/dinner time + drink fully of water.

mini_mog
20-10-08, 18:34
so how was your first day?
my first day was pretty ok, not side effects really other than very very mild headache and slight dizziness- but this could have been imagined as id got myself quite worried about taking them:blush:

today is my second day, definately felt a little strange about 30 mins after taking them but nothing i couldnt cope with. felt a little anxious today but have been better at rationalising things and realising that really there is nothing for me to be worrying about. but its early days and i think it will be a long slow process until im back to how i was before the anxiety appeared.

ND
20-10-08, 18:39
great

good luck

Lori
20-10-08, 21:36
Hey ND,
Thanx so much again for your reply:)
Its comforting to know that you are not alone when experiencing all these symptoms.
I just wish i could sleep at night,then i might feel better in the day. Im also worried that my work may become affected due to lack of sleep.

By the way, i take mine 1st thing in morn after breakfast...basically because thats what the doctor advised.

Good luck with yours, keep in touch and let me know how u are getting on:)

Take care,

Lori x

chez
20-10-08, 22:33
hello ive been taking citalopram for 8days today i must say im more relaxed about things. the only problem i have is in the mornings i sleep most of the night which is great :) when i wake up in the morning im very nervos and fill like i got loads of butterflys in my stomick and my heart races. i take my 20mg tablet at 10am after about an hour my nevosness has gone. but i still feel anxious and the back of my head feels tight? is this normal ive been told it is but just want to make sure again. i only have the tight feeling in my head through the day and by night time its gone. does this mean the tablets are working? i no they can take up to months to work. thank you for any answers would help me alot. take care. and this forum has helped me loads :) xxxx ps pleasse has anyone got any adise for me ? xxx

MacAodh
21-10-08, 00:11
i have suffered from clinical depression for years, and was on prozac for 3 years but unfortunately it had stopped working, the doctor has now put me on citalopram and i too have had the headaches, the shakes, feeling woozy, tired, lethargic etc so it is somewhat refreshing to hear that if i stick with it, these side effects should go away. Some of the posts from people who have said they managed to "pull themselves together" are lucky, not all of us are in such a fortunate position and it's hard to explain to people why depression and anxiety is an illness not just a state of mind. I tried everything but drugs for 4 years after i was diagnosed, and gradually got so bad that I had driven everyone away and was living in a dump because I couldn't be bothered to clean the house or clean my self!

Bah I'm getting like that, I've driven most my family away cos they only made me feel useless, angry and messed up.

Bloody depression - I went through a good phase back in June and thought I was able to work my way out of "the rut", so quit my job (which I hated), to develop a project I'd been working on, but I never even worked on it; couldn't find any direction, and got super anxious about not being able to pay the rent. I thought I'd try and get a part time job in a kitchen to see if cookery is for me (wanted to do something I could feel proud of), but all those feelings soon passed when I discovered a lot of chefs aren't very nice people, and I often work 12 hours a day (not including breaks) where I'm usually left to the washing up, and told I'm going too slow. They can't seen to keep any other KP's for very long.

Started thinking of offing myself; I'd just come home and cry my eyes out during my break before heading back for the evening service. I keep hearing myself say "I'm 26, with a Masters of Science with Distinction, and I wash dishes for a living. I've gone seriously wrong somewhere along the lines" in my head. So I went to the doctors about a month and a half ago, discussed about how rash a decision I'd made in quitting my job, how I felt now, that I'd found out my dad had been suffering from depression, and decided I'd like to know for sure what was up with me, so asked for a referral to a psychiatrist. Went back 2 weeks later, she had suggested antidepressants, so I decided to accept, she put me on 20 mg Citalopram. I've had a few of the side effects (a little bit of nausea, stomachs not been quit settled, very patchy memory, and feeling a bit numb and doped up a lot of the time). I did feel a lot better within the first week, then went out with friends, had one glass of wine/had them say how s**t my job sounds and not felt right since. I'm not thinking of suicide anymore, but im still feeling doped up, irritable and short about random crap. I used to be really angry and moved away from family get away and get out on my own, so its kinda like I've gone back to being the old angry (disrespectful, ungrateful) me, instead of the sad, depressed me, who at least constantly tries to do stuff to better myself.

I have my first referral to the psychiatrist tomorrow, so I'm hoping I'll be able to explain what I'm feeling there. Not sure whether to come off it, as in a way the sadness and crying, it sucked, it was sad as hell, and lonely but at least I didn't feel like an angry jerk like I used to. :shrug: Dunno, confused, irritable, and angry anyway.

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

ND
21-10-08, 19:17
hi all,

Today i called my doc talked about the side effects i have. His answer: How come i gave it to thousands and not even one complained?? So i thought probably i am crazy or he is lying. My opinion is that more than 50% of the people at least experience side effects?

ND

eliteness
25-10-08, 10:05
Hi,

Been keeping my eye on this thread since i started taking my citalopram 5 weeks ago. It seems that everyone has a different angle on it and that is having either good or bad repercussions on other members here.

Well for good or bad, id like to offer up my experiences with a background on what i WAS like.

I have suffered from panic & anxiety since October 2004, people always say that your first panic attack is the worst, well mine were only getting worse and my avoidance techniques were having a serious health effect on me.

I didnt consider myself Agrophobic but if i had to go into town or even to work, i have an evening job, i would have to have at least 3 cans of lager to dull my senses, i was drinking on average 8 cans of lager per day. My self esteem was crippled, i had no drive and i was petrified to do or try anything because of potential side effects. If i went to pick my father up from work i couldnt drive back home because my chest and arms were all tight, i was in a real state.

I had tried many different courses, breathing, relaxation techniques, whatever the doctor had said to try and get rid of these terrible feelings but all to no avail.

8 weeks ago i decided that i was not going to be able to beat this on my own, sure i had 3 good days, followed by 2 months of hell, having a drink to calm myself down then spending an hour crying because of what was happening to me. These feelings inside my body had ruled for far too long, i went to my doctor and said i wanted medication

He gave me 20mg of Citalopram

On reading this forum it reminds me of the two weeks in which i sat looking at the unopened box on the kitchen shelf, too scared to read the side effects, wondering why the doctor had told me i would feel a little different in the first two weeks, but all the time knowing that i needed to give them a try.

One sunday 5 weeks ago i had been out for a meal with my girlfriend and was feeling quite content, all help to my girlfriend and the 4 pints of lager i had just consumed, i looked at the box and thought,....

i need to start this

filled with the thoughts of another week of hell commencing in the morning, i opened the pack and took the SUNDAY tab.

Its worth mentioning at this point, that i have a massive fear of being spiked and that i wouldnt EVER take any pills, not even when i had 3 teeth extracted and my mouth was bleeding for two weeks.

i wont bore you with a long winded story about my road to recovery, instead i will use a quote from the wise words of Gordon Ramsey...

Panic attacks with a side order of Anxiety....

DONE!!!!!

Dont get me wrong i had a funny night on the sunday, wondering if that tablet was going to kill me or give me the heart attack i so dreaded

Thinking back they were gone on the Monday morning when i woke up

I had some side effects to them though

BEING HAPPY
BEING ABLE TO WALK OUT THE HOUSE
BEING ABLE TO LIVE MY LIFE LIKE I USED TO
NOT DRINKING MYSELF INTO OBLIVION EVERY NIGHT SO I CAN SLEEP
DRIVING MY CAR
GOING FOR WALKS AND NOT WONDERING WHERE THE NEXT BEER IS AVAILABLE FROM

Seriously though, the only noitcable side effect is the low amount of sexual desire

Id gladly swap that for my life back again, thats not to say that i dont want a healthy sex life again, but i reckon i can put that on hold whilst i get used to the fact that im back where i was.

Im not deaf to peoples problems with taking the drug but i do think its wise to remember that old panic attack statement that everyone has surely read either in a book or on the web..

THEY CANT KILL YOU!!!

and niether can the pills....

so my advice is to give them a shot, i was scared, i was against it, ididnt want to listen to anyone

BUT I NOW I HAVE MY LIFE BACK!!

Since taking the first tablet, ive COMPLETLY cut out alcohol not even one drop has passed my lips, im developing an exercise routine, ive started to look after myself and try and re-write all the wrongs i was doing to myself through constant alcohol abuse, im applying for jobs and even enqired about re-joining my gym, in early 2005 the gym was the point of my most prominent panic attack, i used to go everyday but never returned after i froze in the swimming pool with my heart pounding.

Of course the coming off them seems to have some issues, but im positive again, i just think that it will be as easy.

Just think about those two voices in your head.....one saying everythings going to be ok....whilst the other one SHOUTS....NO ITS NOT!!!

Wouldnt you like to shut that one up?? Once and for all

Thanks

ND
25-10-08, 13:42
eliteness,

your story is very interesting i am happy to hear you are doing great.

My story is about the same with the difference that my attacks and panic disorder started 2 months ago. I am 42 years old athlete all my life and i really dont know what happened to me. You see for me i had no choice i have 2 kids 5 and 7 to feed so it was a question of survival. So i took the med 11 days ago, the first 3 i was about to die and wanted to stop, then i push myself and read these posts here and others about 10 times each and suddenly on the fourth day i started to feel better, from then each day is better and better i will go to 20mg tomorrow. I did the right thing, see i am about to go for a soccer game this afternoon....

One think is sure that this med can not kill you, it can just help so give it a try and you will see the result. In this world of mysery consider yourselves lucky just to have to go throw this problem.

thanks

kuripot
25-10-08, 18:54
Im currently taking 40mg daily due to a depression. I just want to warn others from the effects of mixing high doses of citalopram with alcohol. I've been a heavy drinker most of my adult life, and I usually manage to control myself and my actions when under influence. Last night I consumed some alcohol with friends and totally lost control of myself, actions such as: Stripping naked in front of neigbours, crushing furniture in my apartment and making a complete fool out of myself was the sad result. Im quite sure that this was a result of mixing alcohol with the citalopram, as I never experienced doing something like this before. Im now stuck in my apartment after cleaning up all the mess from last night. Did not even dare to open my door and look outside:doh: Just a friendly warning, be extremly cautious when drinking while on this medicine!!

ND
25-10-08, 20:10
was nt it cold in norway to striip outside?? just a joke.

i know i drunk 2 wine glass last time and i could not at all shaking

good luck

dysthymia
26-10-08, 12:50
Over the decades I've suffered with depression/anxiety,I've lost count of the different anti-depressants I've been on.The last 3 years I've been on Citalopram,and am just emerging from a very dark episode,which involved the worst anxiety I've had in years;really disabling.I am currently on 60mg Citalopram,as well as 45mg Mirtazapine,and 150mg Trazodone(the last one I take if I feel the need)
Is anyone else on as high a dose as this?I have read the posts on here,and how people are suffering horrible side effects---I have been very lucky,and have no negative side effects at all,and I have a drink occasionally too,with no problems.
It just shows---everyone's biochemistry is different.If anyone is experiencing continual side effects,please don't suffer in silence;I was on Prozac for a short time,and felt APPALLING,sick,restless,terrified--others found it really turned their lives around.There's no one-size-fits-all in medication terms.There are so many different anti-depressants available now,there's no need to put up with horrible side effects.And I rate Citalopram very highly---I still get ill,but episodes don't last as long.O.K. for me,but it's such an individual thing.

Heathera
26-10-08, 19:29
Hi there,

I've been reading this thread with interest and just wondered if anyone could help. I was wondering if anyone who had used both Fluoxetine and Citalopram had suffered similar side effects.

A few months ago I was prescribed 20mg Fluoxetine and suffered the most horrific side effects imaginable. I was vomitting up to 20 times a day:scared15: , suffered abdominal pain like never before, crushing head pain that made me think I was dying as well as a million and one other problems. I literally couldn't keep my eyes open - it wasn't like tiredness, it was like being barely conscious. I had pains in my legs that shot through me when I stood up and reduced me to tears instantly. When I did sleep I had the most terrifying hallucinations which lead to my doc thinking I was either using illegal drugs (never have done) or I was schizophrenic. My GP said that the effects couldn't possibly be down to the Fluoxetine so stupidly I believed her. I was referred for brain scans as it was thought there was something seriously wrong, I was referred to Gastro specialists and goodness knows who else. This went on for 3 months and then I forgot to take my meds one day. I felt better than I had done in months!!! I took my meds the next day and everything came back. It was a couple of days before I could see a doctor so I reduced my dose to every second day until I could see someone. I saw a different doctor in my practice who was horrified that I'd been allowed to suffer so much and she made me stop the Fluoxetine immediately as she believed I was having a horrendous allergic reaction to it and has marked my file accordingly that I should never be given it again.

She prescribed me 20mg Citalopram instead and told me to wait a week before starting it. 8 weeks later, the pills are still in my bathroom cabinet as I'm petrified of having similar effects. I have two small children to look after, one who is severely disabled and there's no way I can be of any benefit to them when I'm so ill. My anxiety is worsening by the day so I saw another doctor in my practice last week who has prescribed me 14 days worth of 10mg to start me off before I then take the 20mg. She advised that I take it at night so that I hopefully sleep through any horrible effects.

I'm still so scared to start them as I can't possibly go through even a day of feeling like that again. I know that I'm likely to have side effects for the first couple of weeks but it's just if it goes beyond that like before.

I really just want to know if anyone has had bad effects on Fluoxetine but managed to make the switch to Citalopram without suffering so badly.

Sorry this has been long but I know I need something to help me but just need to find the courage to start them.

mark b
26-10-08, 19:48
Hello. I've been on 20mg of citalopram for 12 days and am really hoping that what i'm feeling is caused by this medication, and not something else. Day 2,3,4 i had no sleep at all. I can sleep reasonably well at the moment. About day 6 started to feel weak and shaky. It comes and goes but it's been constant today. I'm considering stopping them already as i don't feel well at all.

Sillyblondegirl
26-10-08, 21:41
I have been on it for a few months now. The first week or so was touch and go. I felt odd, shakey, detatched and spacey. I felt amost stoned. After the initial week it started to make a difference for the better. I began to feel more energetic then I had in months and even began exercising and lost some weight! The panic attacks became fewer. That effect wore off some since then. My Doc thought she would increase my dose to 40mg a few weeks ago. I was famished and wanted to eat whatever I could find. Needless to say I have cut back to the original 20mgs. My doc said th at sometimes the med can "re-wire" the brain to produce seratonin on its own and after a year of being on it some people can wean off and keep the same effects. Lets hope!:yahoo:

ND
27-10-08, 07:35
Hi there,

I've been reading this thread with interest and just wondered if anyone could help. I was wondering if anyone who had used both Fluoxetine and Citalopram had suffered similar side effects.

A few months ago I was prescribed 20mg Fluoxetine and suffered the most horrific side effects imaginable. I was vomitting up to 20 times a day:scared15: , suffered abdominal pain like never before, crushing head pain that made me think I was dying as well as a million and one other problems. I literally couldn't keep my eyes open - it wasn't like tiredness, it was like being barely conscious. I had pains in my legs that shot through me when I stood up and reduced me to tears instantly. When I did sleep I had the most terrifying hallucinations which lead to my doc thinking I was either using illegal drugs (never have done) or I was schizophrenic. My GP said that the effects couldn't possibly be down to the Fluoxetine so stupidly I believed her. I was referred for brain scans as it was thought there was something seriously wrong, I was referred to Gastro specialists and goodness knows who else. This went on for 3 months and then I forgot to take my meds one day. I felt better than I had done in months!!! I took my meds the next day and everything came back. It was a couple of days before I could see a doctor so I reduced my dose to every second day until I could see someone. I saw a different doctor in my practice who was horrified that I'd been allowed to suffer so much and she made me stop the Fluoxetine immediately as she believed I was having a horrendous allergic reaction to it and has marked my file accordingly that I should never be given it again.

She prescribed me 20mg Citalopram instead and told me to wait a week before starting it. 8 weeks later, the pills are still in my bathroom cabinet as I'm petrified of having similar effects. I have two small children to look after, one who is severely disabled and there's no way I can be of any benefit to them when I'm so ill. My anxiety is worsening by the day so I saw another doctor in my practice last week who has prescribed me 14 days worth of 10mg to start me off before I then take the 20mg. She advised that I take it at night so that I hopefully sleep through any horrible effects.

I'm still so scared to start them as I can't possibly go through even a day of feeling like that again. I know that I'm likely to have side effects for the first couple of weeks but it's just if it goes beyond that like before.

I really just want to know if anyone has had bad effects on Fluoxetine but managed to make the switch to Citalopram without suffering so badly.

Sorry this has been long but I know I need something to help me but just need to find the courage to start them.

hi cant help you with the change between the drugs. but what i can tell you is that citalopram is very common and well tolerated compared to others. Iam on day 11 ( first 4 days horrible) i feel better now and hope to continue. Look give it a try if you want i will be checking this post to help you if you want the first days on your questions. if you work take of 3 to 4 days if possible, start with 10 just before go to bed. drink plenty of water, try to eat well.

hope i can help

Heathera
27-10-08, 09:30
hi cant help you with the change between the drugs. but what i can tell you is that citalopram is very common and well tolerated compared to others. Iam on day 11 ( first 4 days horrible) i feel better now and hope to continue. Look give it a try if you want i will be checking this post to help you if you want the first days on your questions. if you work take of 3 to 4 days if possible, start with 10 just before go to bed. drink plenty of water, try to eat well.

hope i can help

Thanks very much, ND, I really appreciate it. I don't work as I'm a full time carer to my disabled son so I suppose my main concern at the moment is being well enough to look after him whilst being able to get my younger son to nursery etc. My husband had to take so much time off work when I was ill on the Fluoxetine that he has no more time off available.

I'll try to build up the courage to start them tonight as I don't think I can cope with the anxiety much longer so I know I do need something.

Thanks again!

Katie27jt
28-10-08, 14:35
Ive been on 40mg for almost two years now and it is by far the best ive been on, fewer side effects than seroxat, prozac and fluoxetine.
the side effects clear however im not convinced it isnt addictive as if i miss a day i can tell and am unable to sleep, any one else had this?

joeyboy1986
28-10-08, 15:36
hi all

feel bad writing on here because im an ex drug user which is more than likely the cause of my depression and paranoia but have recently started to take citalopram 4 days ago and did not expect the side effects to be as bad as they were being use to come downs and everything... yesterday was the worse day i ever had i think hot and cold rushes and stomach muscules tensing was quite worried about all this but today still feel bad but not as worse and afta reading about other people experiencing the symptons has made me feel alot better knowing that it is normal and should get better im on 10mg at moment and should be going up to 20mg as of friday

so thanks for your posts they made me feel more as ease

ND
28-10-08, 16:39
hi all

feel bad writing on here because im an ex drug user which is more than likely the cause of my depression and paranoia but have recently started to take citalopram 4 days ago and did not expect the side effects to be as bad as they were being use to come downs and everything... yesterday was the worse day i ever had i think hot and cold rushes and stomach muscules tensing was quite worried about all this but today still feel bad but not as worse and afta reading about other people experiencing the symptons has made me feel alot better knowing that it is normal and should get better im on 10mg at moment and should be going up to 20mg as of friday

so thanks for your posts they made me feel more as ease

hi there, i also had very very bad side effects, my opinion will be to keepon 10mg for a longer period 10 days then move to 20. i am also on 10 for 2 weeks tonight i am going to 20 big day!!

you ll do great!

ND
28-10-08, 16:40
Thanks very much, ND, I really appreciate it. I don't work as I'm a full time carer to my disabled son so I suppose my main concern at the moment is being well enough to look after him whilst being able to get my younger son to nursery etc. My husband had to take so much time off work when I was ill on the Fluoxetine that he has no more time off available.

I'll try to build up the courage to start them tonight as I don't think I can cope with the anxiety much longer so I know I do need something.

Thanks again!

how is going?

emmy_b6
28-10-08, 17:08
Im concerned about using citalopram. I took my first one this morning and I have been feeling extremely sick and dizzy all day. I feel weird. Detached. I also feel like I have a numb mouth. I keep clenching my teeth.
I have stuff to do this week - important things. Job interview. Im going on holiday soon. I want to feel normal and I dont know whether to stick out these side effects or just quit altogether as of tomorrow and feel like I did before taking them. Both options seem equally awful and Im not sure why my doctor thought it was ok to give these to me.

Mystygirl
28-10-08, 20:09
Hi all. My first post :). Was prescribed citalopram 20mg last Thursday.

Been having not very nice side effects, so much so that I'm panicing when the time comes to take them. Does anybody feel like they're going to faint? This happens to me on and off for about 3 hours after I've taken them (among other things), this is the worst one though. Really don't like it but keep telling myself it's just the meds.

Determined to carry on though as I've nearly done a week so trying to look forward when I start to feel better.
Hope everyone is getting on ok with their meds :)

joeyboy1986
28-10-08, 23:25
had a better evening felt alot better after i ate even though didnt really feel the need for food

Loolabubble
29-10-08, 16:27
Hi all
How is everyone doing with the meds now?
I am on my 4th day and its been very difficult. I am practically confined to bed - I go through phases of feeling relatively normal albeit weak and lethargic and then phases of high agitation, fever, restlessness etc. I am not sleeping well and my appetite has gone completely, although I am managing a banana a day and soya milk.
Did anyone else feel like this and will it pass?
Loolabubble x

ND
29-10-08, 16:55
Hi all
How is everyone doing with the meds now?
I am on my 4th day and its been very difficult. I am practically confined to bed - I go through phases of feeling relatively normal albeit weak and lethargic and then phases of high agitation, fever, restlessness etc. I am not sleeping well and my appetite has gone completely, although I am managing a banana a day and soya milk.
Did anyone else feel like this and will it pass?
Loolabubble x

hi loolabubble, you know i felt so bad the first 3/4 days that i feel its my duty to answer to people like you. As i posted before i thought i was dying big time, i was taken my pill at night couldnt sleep well and then in the morning i was completely destroyed (i am not going throw the side effects cause i had about a dozen), i started to feel better in the afternoon. Dont even thought to reach my office i couldnt live the bed/couch. Then suddenly on day 5 i started to feel better. I am actually on day 14 i double the dose yesterday i am on 20 and i am doing fine, however i have some bad moments during the day. Dont even imagine to drink alcohol, avoid coffees, drink 10 glasses of water per day, when you dont feel nausea try to eat well, try to sleep early.
I can assure you all is related to the citalopram. Stick with it you will feel better. By the way i read about 200 posts during those days to avoid me from stopping the drug.

hope it helps

Loolabubble
29-10-08, 17:11
Hi ND

Thank you so much for your reply. You cannot believe how much that will help me and how it makes me feel better already.

At the moment it is so very hard to see an end to this but I have been reading so much on this site about the drug and I can see that it will be worth it in the end. Hearing your story just reaffirms that in my mind. I am the same, sleeping badly, feel terrible in the morning, start to feel better in the afternoon then by that time I am taking another tablet and start to go downhill again.

I will stick to this and people like you sharing this with me will be the reason.

Thank you

x

jojo10
29-10-08, 17:22
hello !
I am new !
I was prescribed Citalopram, after 5wks i had to come off it, the side effects were too much to bare ! My anxiety was worse than ever, constantly thinking i was going to die...the Dr then prescribed me Seroxat, OH MY it was horrendous i felt awful, nausea, sick, heacaches, chest pain, you name it i had it, so currently cold turkey but having some awful withdraw after only being on meds for about 8wks in total...

Jo

mark b
31-10-08, 15:18
Hi. I decided to stop taking citalopram after just 13 days. After speaking to my GP he said it would have been best to reduce slowly which i was very surprised by, considering it was only 13 days. I'm feeling very hot headed despite not having a temperature. I'm thinking maybe this is because i didn't allow my body time to get used to them, or at least hoping that's the reason! I was taking citalopram because of health anxieties. I'm having a blood test in 3 weeks, and as long as that's clear, i know i'll be able to calm down, but until then it's panic all the way.:ohmy:

joC
31-10-08, 22:20
I was very eager to start on Anti Depressants as I was excited about the ability to feel good again. Dr prescribed Citalopram 20, I had no idea what to expect at the time and didn't understand why I was feeling so awful, I decided then to read the information pack. After a few weeks or so I felt quite good - people at work started to notice a happier or less grumpy person in the office. I did get my mood swings back, but I guess the black moods subsided. After almost 2 years I have just come off the medication. I reduced it from 20 down to 10. Did have a few side effects such as short temper, a little down etc and at the time I was concerned that may be the way I was prior to taking this medication. Continued to cut down without any problems. I stopped completely almost 2 weeks ago and started to get the known side effects after a week. I also took Migraine tablets, which certainly didn't make things easier as they have an effect on serotonin levels. That only lasted 3 days and felt a lot better for resting. Its been 10 days, I still get the head swooshes in the evening but its definately not crippling. I'm still a little snappy but its the side effects. I guess my main concern was falling into a depression once I weened myself off. Not saying it won't happen but I am so pleased I am off the medication and I don't feel unhappy. Weening was not a big deal as I anticipated. I know how it feels when you just wont to get it over and done with, but if you do decide to go cold turkey, be prepared as you're in for a rude awakening.

lucy89
03-11-08, 10:21
i was precribed citalopram today and after reading the booklet and all your comments im quite worried about taking it.
i rely on being able to drive to my job everyday and im worried if it will effect my driving. do any of you have problems driving?

ND
03-11-08, 12:35
hi lucy,

nobody can tell how each person will be affected, as for me i had so many side effects i couldnt leave my bed for 3 days. iam on week 3 20mg. my advice would be not to start today but on friday night. start with half dose 5 or 10mg. eat well and drink water.

hope it helps,

you will yourself realise if you can drive or not.
good luck

Natural Mystic
03-11-08, 20:08
"Am a lawyer, simply cannot live like this, am thinking of cold turkey...newsman, did you do that? What happened to you in the cold turkey? Don't mind some side effects, just need to get myself back..."

I am a Journalist and a 30 year PR Consultant - both careers swilling in booze. What did I do? I JUST STOPPED. Do what your mother told you: Pull yourself together! Get out into the sunshine. I'm on your side.

newsman
Thats been my motto for years, pull yourself together. It worked too, until recently!

buzzbar
06-11-08, 18:47
hey, newbie here.

started taking citalopram 4 days ago (10mg for 6 days then 20mg there after)

had bad headache for a couple of days and a dry mouth which were very bearable. felt v anxious today but rode it out.

To anyone who is worried about starting their meds, the odds on you actually suffering a serious side effect that cant be rode out is V.LOW.

Give them a go, if they dont work or you cant "stomach" them, come off them (slowly if need be). thats what im doing anyway.

all the best

Mystygirl
06-11-08, 21:10
Been on 20mg for 2 weeks now and all the side effects have now dissapeared :yesyes: glad I stuck with it because the side effects were horrible at first. Finally starting to feel a bit more normal again. I hope eveyone who is having nasty side effects too start to feel better soon :)

jomo44
10-11-08, 09:06
Hi, I have recently been prescribed 20mg Citalopram and after reading some of the posts on here I was really nervous about starting them but I am glad I did. I have been on them for 2 weeks now and have had no side effects which just shows that things are different for every individual. I would say to everyone to try and if you aren't good then see your GP or try and persevere but do note that not everyone will have the bad things from them. Good luck, Jo.

lucy89
10-11-08, 11:01
i've been taking it for nearly a week now and i can say that ive had hardly any side affects. its a bit difficult to sleep and i get the occasion stomach cramp and feel sick after eating but iv been taking my tablets at night just before i go to sleep. i think i must be s;eeping throught the side affects but im starting to feel a bit better in myself already.

andrewc
10-11-08, 18:04
Hi Lucy

Hang in there cos it takes 12-14 days before they start working and the side effects if any do go away. Did your doctor suggest you take them at night? These tablets are usually taken in the morning.

Best of luck

Andy

cailz
11-11-08, 13:55
Hi I have been on Citalopram 20mg since Friday and i'm feeling really ill with them, they just keep making me sick, dizzy, feeling really strange and drowsy.

Scrubbs
14-11-08, 08:53
Hi, I've just taken my first citalopram and waiting to see what happens. Thanks guys for giving me some preparation for what to expect. I have a condition called vasovagal syncope which causes me to pass out frequently. Not life threatening but very inconvenient and embarrassing. I also have a very demanding high pressure job which means I get up every morning shaking like a leaf and with my guts tied up in knots. I guess I suffer panic attacks - mainly because I worry about the syncope. A vicious circle because stress and anxiety make the syncope more likely. Anyway lets see how the Citalopram goes.:scared15:

laila
14-11-08, 09:04
Hi,i,ve been on citalopram for just over 3 months.....and yeah side affects for me was awfull...felt sick,really bad headaches,more panic attacks and so on....but now after sticking with them i feel soooooo good and so much like i used to be its great!!! Just stick them out the first 2-3 weeks are the worst i found for takin them,but after that and side affects slowly going i started to feel fine!!!! Hope this helps....:-)

kirbyas
15-11-08, 12:19
I was prescribed citalopram 20mg about 7 weeks ago for anxiety. I reluctantly decided to take them as my anxiety was affecting me to the point I was signed off work (still am!). I started taking 10mg as concerned about side effects. They made me feel physically worse than I did already, but persevered and after day 10 I began taking the 20mg dose. Again made me feel quite rotton, nauseus, upset stomach dizzy, sleepy and zombie like! However they did sort of calm me to the point that i was feeling little emotion. I am a busy mum of 3 and felt very detatched .... no good for me!

A few days ago I felt I could not put up with the side effects any longer and decided to reduce the dose. I dropped to 10mg and felt dreadful for 3 days, nauseus and more dizzy than previous. Today feeling quite depressed and scared so increased dose to 15mgs. I am hoping these feelings are due to the fact that I have reduced the citalopram. I really do not know what to do for the best. I hate the way they make me feel, but coming off them after only a few weeks is scarey aswell. Any advise would be really appreciated.

Oh and this site has been a blessing. I have never been on a chat room before, but I am visitng it daily for reassurance!

ojpacey123
15-11-08, 14:11
ive just been prescribed 20mg of citalopram after being diagnosed with moderate depression. is this normal? i havent taken any yet after reading some of the side effects described on this forum, so im really undecided on what to do. if anyone could give me some advice id be really grateful!

lapixiefairy
15-11-08, 15:23
Hi ojpacey123, I too was prescribed Citalopram for moderate depression, 20mg, about 3 weeks ago. I was also terrified to start them after having a wee look on this forum but as everyone says the side effects are different for everyone and people are more likely to share teir bad experiences than their good. I took 10mg for 8 days (just halfing the tablet) then upped to 20mg and I had very little side effects. I did get a few bad headaches and felt a bit nauseus but aside from that I've been fine. I do feel a little more like my old self now and I'm hopeful that things will get better. Only you can decide if these meds are right for you but I'm glad that I started them. Good Luck whatever you decide!

ojpacey123
15-11-08, 16:35
thanks, i think ill probably do what youve done and try halving the dosage at first. hope they carry on workin for you :)

sweetpea24
16-11-08, 00:12
I was 10mg for about 4 weeks and was fine with that, maybe a little increase in my anxiety but that was about it then my Dr upt this to 20mg and after one day of taking the 20mg i was feeling nauseus and had a strange feeling in my stomach then after around 3 days the feeling got worse and i also began to feel overwhelmingly tired, also constipation, a loss of appetite, belching, swallon tummy and sleeping for long periods of time, but the most common thing is the tiredness and the discomfort in my upper abdorman, a small feeling of indigestion but mostly feeling a bit sicky, it comes and goes throughout the day.

I'm just wondering has anybody else had side effects like this or do u think it could be unrelated?

deb71
16-11-08, 21:08
ive just been prescribed 20mg of citalopram after being diagnosed with moderate depression. is this normal? i havent taken any yet after reading some of the side effects described on this forum, so im really undecided on what to do. if anyone could give me some advice id be really grateful!

Hi have been taking 20mg for 1 week now and have had the usual symptoms of tiredeness, feeling spaced out, mild nausea. On the 5th day I had a nasty panic attack which started with a feeling of extreme heat in my throut and then I felt very faint and then was violently sick. I am hoping that this was a one off as if it happens again I will be so worried about going out to public places incase it happens again that I may start to avoid situations.

cwoz82
17-11-08, 09:28
Hi,
I was prescribed Citalopram 10mg for panic/anxiety disorder (absolutely no depressive feelings!) just over two weeks ago and told to increase at 14 days if i felt no response. I increased to 20mg 4 days ago after feeling no response in my general day to day anxiety. I have had few negative side effects, in fact i have been taking my pill at 5.30pm and crashing out solidly at 9pm and sleeping all night, only trouble is waking in the morning and feeling like my head is on a DJ's turntable but it goes away with some breakfast and a cup of tea. However, a few nights in the first week i had some disturbing dreams which have woken me to a state of panic, one left me fearful to go to sleep for a couple of nights. Having increased my does 4 days ago, i awoke at 4.15am this morning with my heart pounding so hard it was pumping my night clothes, i felt faint and my blood was running cold, it left me completely shaken and unable to go back to sleep. I'm hoping this is just an extension of the troubling dreams issue in the first week (being the first week after increasing my dose).
My mother has been on Citalopram for 4 years and can't remember the side effects and she was on 40mg from the get go...i have faith that the side effects will dissipate and be a fading memory soon!
:yesyes:

hannahb
17-11-08, 10:09
Hi everyone,

I have just been prescribed Citalopram for the first time, have yet to take my first tablet. I was just wondering why it is advisable not to drink with this medication? And also what happens if you do? I am a student and drinking is a large part of my social life! Of course I won't drink if it is going to be bad for me but I was just wondering about it.

angietomjimandcass
17-11-08, 14:34
Hi there i have been taking Citalopram for A FEW WEEKS FOR OCD AND PANIC.
now i have started getting a werid presure on my head and dizzyness

Bylup
17-11-08, 15:46
Hi I have been on Citalopram 20mg since Friday and i'm feeling really ill with them, they just keep making me sick, dizzy, feeling really strange and drowsy.

Hello, this is really normal, I think. I'm on Citalopram again for panic attacks and anxiety, fourth time now, and each time the side effects for me are exactly as you describe. I feel sick, spaced out, can't concentrate, weak arms and legs, shakey and generally really horrid, it's a ghastly place to be. But I do know, absolutely, that after about five or six days, they go away, and gradually, gradually, the Citalopram begins to work. It's also the same when you up the dose. I started on 20mg and am now on 40, and the leap up was also nasty. But hang on in there, tell yourself, yes you feel bad now, but it will pass, it really will. I know that the stuff works, just have patience. And also remember, you won't start to feel the good bits for at least a couple of weeks, for me it was about three weeks, which is also quite normal, I'm told. Anyway, good luck.

Scrubbs
17-11-08, 15:53
Hi everyone,

I have just been prescribed Citalopram for the first time, have yet to take my first tablet. I was just wondering why it is advisable not to drink with this medication? And also what happens if you do? I am a student and drinking is a large part of my social life! Of course I won't drink if it is going to be bad for me but I was just wondering about it.

Hannah, as with any medication you should refrain from drinking alcohol. Firstly because you are introducing chemicals into your body that could react with the alcohol and impact on their effectiveness and performance, but also as you should be well aware the damage that is caused to vital organs by alcohol can be multiplied when mixed with these chemicals. The problems can rang from bleeding in the stomach to losing conciousness and choking on your own vomit. And thats the nice bit.

Scrubbs
17-11-08, 16:04
I was 10mg for about 4 weeks and was fine with that, maybe a little increase in my anxiety but that was about it then my Dr upt this to 20mg and after one day of taking the 20mg i was feeling nauseus and had a strange feeling in my stomach then after around 3 days the feeling got worse and i also began to feel overwhelmingly tired, also constipation, a loss of appetite, belching, swallon tummy and sleeping for long periods of time, but the most common thing is the tiredness and the discomfort in my upper abdorman, a small feeling of indigestion but mostly feeling a bit sicky, it comes and goes throughout the day.

I'm just wondering has anybody else had side effects like this or do u think it could be unrelated?

Yep that pretty much describes the affect the 20mg are having on me at the moment. I get occasional waves of nausea, I find eating actually helps this, but try and stear clear of anything too spicy or strong flavoured. The top of the stomach is exactly where I feel it. I went to bed yesterday for a 20 min rest and woke up 3 hours later!!! Try and force yourself to eat, I do find it helps. Good luck/

cwoz82
17-11-08, 16:06
Hi everyone,

I'd also suggest not drinking as the Citalopram has made me appear quite well oiled on occasion whilst stone cold sober, thus i don't need alcohol to make me look more daft when i can't formulate a sentence come 7.30 of an evening!

Bylup
17-11-08, 16:12
Yes, I have a feeling that I've read somewhere that alcohol and also caffeine actually stop the Citalopram working properly. Last time I was on it, I was very careful for the first few months, but then after a while I did have the odd glass of wine, or the odd beer, and it didn't seem to have any adverse effect. But certainly at the start of the journey, I would certainly be careful, try and give yourself the best possible chance to get better quickly.

Scrubbs
17-11-08, 16:22
Yes, I have a feeling that I've read somewhere that alcohol and also caffeine actually stop the Citalopram working properly. Last time I was on it, I was very careful for the first few months, but then after a while I did have the odd glass of wine, or the odd beer, and it didn't seem to have any adverse effect. But certainly at the start of the journey, I would certainly be careful, try and give yourself the best possible chance to get better quickly.

I actually stopped drinking caffeine about 4 months ago (I drink de-caf) the affect was almost instantaneous in reducing my inability to get to sleep at night and my palpitations. It's also been suggested to me to try ginger biscuits to ease nausea. Apparently they recommend it to pregnant women with morning sickness. Haven't tried it yet but I'm going to.

hannahb
17-11-08, 17:53
Thanks for the info those who replied.

I'm not looking forward to explaining why I can't drink to my friends at all. They don't know about any of my problems at all :wacko: ahhhh!

andrewc
17-11-08, 18:03
Hi Hannah

Hang in there. the tablets take about 12-14 days to kick in and you should begin to feel much better. Upping the dose does not mean you will get the side effects again. As for the drinking it is not advisable as it may prevent the Citalopram for working properly. Dont worry about what your friends think have a non alcoholic drink instead.

Best regards

Andy

Scrubbs
17-11-08, 18:25
Thanks for the info those who replied.

I'm not looking forward to explaining why I can't drink to my friends at all. They don't know about any of my problems at all :wacko: ahhhh!

Hannah, I don't suppose giving you the old line of "well if they really are friends...." will help. Nobody at my works knows why I'm off or what I'm being treated for. If they ask I just tell them I'm being tested for a possible heart condition (not exactly untrue but pretty wide of the mark). Just tell them you are on anti-biotiocs for a constant stomach upset or something. If they are friends they'll accept it.

hannahb
17-11-08, 19:09
My friends are lovely... they wouldn't have any problem if I told them the reason. I just don't really want to, I feel quite embarrassed. It's been going on for years and I've never told anyone before, other than the doctor.

I'm used to going out drinking with my friends a lot, it's going to be weird not being able to do it. But I guess it will be worth it in the long run!

Scrubbs
17-11-08, 21:57
My friends are lovely... they wouldn't have any problem if I told them the reason. I just don't really want to, I feel quite embarrassed. It's been going on for years and I've never told anyone before, other than the doctor.

I'm used to going out drinking with my friends a lot, it's going to be weird not being able to do it. But I guess it will be worth it in the long run!

If you enjoy it so much don't cut yourself off from it, but maybe you can try drinking none alcoholic drinks. It takes a measure of discipline but as you say - in the long run it's worth it. That way you can still enjoy yourself. I warn you though you will see those around you in a different light when they are drunk!!! :ohmy:
Good luck.:)

Rhian
18-11-08, 10:22
Hi everyone,

I have been taking Citalopram for 3 days now and feel dreadful. I've been on them before a few years ago but I'd obviously blocked out the side effects. I feel sick, spaced out, dizzy and really tense like I'm buzzing. I had actually been doing quite well this past week before I started taking them, going to the dentist and the hairdressers without freaking out. I'm wondering if its worth sticking with the medication or just to stop taking it and try and go it alone.

Clare-Louise
18-11-08, 11:29
Hi,

I have recently found this website and have found a huge amount of reassurance in realising that maybe I am not going mad and that there are other people that suffer with severe anxiety out there. So thanks to everyone who has written on here and shared their stories and experiences, I am sure everyone who has visited this site and read these threads feels the same!

I am 30 and I have been suffering for at least 8 years but over the last year it has got so bad that I was struggling to get out of the house in the morning to get to myself to work. Getting on a bus in the morning and having to go to meetings at work were my worst nightmare. I frequently used alcohol to try to cope with situations. After a couple of bad experiences with doctors telling me it is normal to feel nervous, pull your self together type attitudes, when I freaked out at a supermarket checkout two weeks ago I new I had to go back. I tried a different doc with his first words to me being 'Well done you for getting here' (I knew from that he understood a bit about this). Anyway he prescribed me 10mg of citalopram. I took my first one Friday evening. I must say I am having no problems sleeping in fact that is all I want to do!! I woke up Monday morning knowing I had to go to work although felt really spaced out, nauseus and a bit shakey. Luckily I had told my boss (one of the only people that know) who is trying to understand (although I am sure it is hard for people to understand who have never experienced these feelings) so I have taken the last two days off work.

From reading your posts some people have had quite bad reactions some not so bad. I just wanted to say that although I am experiencing some side effects they are not as hideous as I though they would be and I am determined to ride it out in the hope that these help me get my life back to how it used to be. Anything has got to be better than how I was feeling.

The doc also gave me diazepam to 'help' ease the side effects presumably - has anyone else been given this aswell? I have resisted taking them so far (because I haven't left the house yet).....

Also I note that a lot of people take the citalopram at night (as do I) but a few people have said it is recommended to take it in the morning....does anyone know of any particular reason for this?

Sorry for the long post, I was just so glad to know that there were other sufferers out there and that, in a way, we have taken the first step to trying to deal with it, as I know for me actually getting myself to the doctors was one of the hardest things!!!

C-L xx

Scrubbs
18-11-08, 13:09
Hi,

I have recently found this website and have found a huge amount of reassurance in realising that maybe I am not going mad and that there are other people that suffer with severe anxiety out there. So thanks to everyone who has written on here and shared their stories and experiences, I am sure everyone who has visited this site and read these threads feels the same!

I am 30 and I have been suffering for at least 8 years but over the last year it has got so bad that I was struggling to get out of the house in the morning to get to myself to work. Getting on a bus in the morning and having to go to meetings at work were my worst nightmare. I frequently used alcohol to try to cope with situations. After a couple of bad experiences with doctors telling me it is normal to feel nervous, pull your self together type attitudes, when I freaked out at a supermarket checkout two weeks ago I new I had to go back. I tried a different doc with his first words to me being 'Well done you for getting here' (I knew from that he understood a bit about this). Anyway he prescribed me 10mg of citalopram. I took my first one Friday evening. I must say I am having no problems sleeping in fact that is all I want to do!! I woke up Monday morning knowing I had to go to work although felt really spaced out, nauseus and a bit shakey. Luckily I had told my boss (one of the only people that know) who is trying to understand (although I am sure it is hard for people to understand who have never experienced these feelings) so I have taken the last two days off work.

From reading your posts some people have had quite bad reactions some not so bad. I just wanted to say that although I am experiencing some side effects they are not as hideous as I though they would be and I am determined to ride it out in the hope that these help me get my life back to how it used to be. Anything has got to be better than how I was feeling.

The doc also gave me diazepam to 'help' ease the side effects presumably - has anyone else been given this aswell? I have resisted taking them so far (because I haven't left the house yet).....

Also I note that a lot of people take the citalopram at night (as do I) but a few people have said it is recommended to take it in the morning....does anyone know of any particular reason for this?

Sorry for the long post, I was just so glad to know that there were other sufferers out there and that, in a way, we have taken the first step to trying to deal with it, as I know for me actually getting myself to the doctors was one of the hardest things!!!

C-L xx

First :welcome:
I am a newbie here too and started on the citalopram on Friday also. The effects are no worse than I was feeling after, what I'm beggining to believe to be was, total burn out at work. I had been making some progress just before I went on the citalopram so it feels like a bit of a backward step but I'm determined to stick with it. As for going out - I've now recognised that that has been a growing issue for years now.....I just didn't want to admit it. Yes it is nice to know I'm not alone.
I've had diazapam in the past for a back injury and know it's wonderful stuff but won't help get you back to work.
I too have wondered about taking the citalopram at night? I was told to take it in the morning. What are the pro's and con's?

cwoz82
18-11-08, 13:44
I only started taking my pills in the evening as i went to see the doctor early evening and took one immediately after leaving the doctors.I'm glad i did now though, i take mine at 5.30-6pm when i get home from work, by 7.30pm i become drowsy and have to go to bed to sleep at 9pm. My doctor didn't specify when i should take my pill, i imagine taking the pill in the morning might make the panic/anxiety symptoms easier to deal with during the day if i were as out of it as i am in the evening, however, i do need to be able to think in my job, thus it works better or me, but it's a personal choice really as the side effect won't last forever!

ojpacey123
18-11-08, 16:22
on my third day of em now. side effects arent too bad, just needing more sleep, lethargy, occasional nausea and a taste like copper in my mouth. not lookin forward to increasin to 20mg next week tho :/

hannahb
18-11-08, 20:53
I don't think I've had any side effects at all so far... only been on them for two days. My main worry is not being able to drink. Nearly all of my social life revolves around drinking, supposed to be going out with my friend for her birthday tomorrow and have never been on a sober night out before! I feel way too self conscious to dance and have fun unless I've had a few drinks, it's going to be awful! :(

sweetpea24
18-11-08, 21:01
please please can somebody help me!!

After panick attacks and mild depression i was prescribed 10mg for 10 weeks with little to no side effects only hightened aniexty which is normal.
I was the upt to 20mg and after around 3 days i started to feel tired all the time and sleeping for hrs, lack of appetite however i would still eat little and often, constipation, swallon tummy, belching after eating or drinking and the worst of all was the nausea which i found unbearable, i strange upset feeling in my stomach with a little indigestion. After 3 weeks of these symptoms i went back to the Dr's who asked me to bear with the tablets as it can take a while and gave me anti sickness which helped little

Then i did wha everyone told me not to and stopped taking the pill 4 days ago, which now i feel worse for, the nausea has worsened and i feel totally ill!! My anxiety has worsened....but i couldnt bear the side effects any more....however now i feel sick as a dog!!!

I guess i'm just looking for a little reasurrance..is this all normal?? What i'm feeling?? i'm worried that i'm seriously ill...i've been trying to diagnose myself by stupidly going on NHs direct, wrong thing as now i'm becomming a total hypocondriac!!!

Help has any experience anything like this!!! please someboy help!

Scrubbs
19-11-08, 09:06
please please can somebody help me!!

After panick attacks and mild depression i was prescribed 10mg for 10 weeks with little to no side effects only hightened aniexty which is normal.
I was the upt to 20mg and after around 3 days i started to feel tired all the time and sleeping for hrs, lack of appetite however i would still eat little and often, constipation, swallon tummy, belching after eating or drinking and the worst of all was the nausea which i found unbearable, i strange upset feeling in my stomach with a little indigestion. After 3 weeks of these symptoms i went back to the Dr's who asked me to bear with the tablets as it can take a while and gave me anti sickness which helped little

Then i did wha everyone told me not to and stopped taking the pill 4 days ago, which now i feel worse for, the nausea has worsened and i feel totally ill!! My anxiety has worsened....but i couldnt bear the side effects any more....however now i feel sick as a dog!!!

I guess i'm just looking for a little reasurrance..is this all normal?? What i'm feeling?? i'm worried that i'm seriously ill...i've been trying to diagnose myself by stupidly going on NHs direct, wrong thing as now i'm becomming a total hypocondriac!!!

Help has any experience anything like this!!! please someboy help!

It all sounds perfectly normal judging by my own experience and some of the other comments on this thread. It appears that it can take up to 14 days for side affects to wear off. If you decide to stop taking them you have to think of it like climbing a ladder. On the way up you have to go step by step. When you decide to come down you can come down step by step but you can also jump. Trouble is if you jump it hurts when you land. I'd suggest you stick with it. I find eating when you feel nauseas. As hard as it is it does help. Nothing spicy but I found porridge particularly helpfull.
As for diagnosing yourself - I think you know thats the worst thing you can do. When I put my symptoms in to a search I wonder how I'm still alive with some of the responses it gives back! And of course it simply fuels your anxiety. You are vulnerable at the moment so don't feed that anxiety. Think of it as a bad part of you that is trying to take over and you need to keep under strict control. To kill it you must starve it by giving it as little as possible to feed on. And remember it's quite possible to be ill without it being life threatening. Hope that helps.:)

Rhian
19-11-08, 11:19
Hello again,

Well I'm on day 4 now and still feeling terrible. In response to some of the other messages, I'm strongly considering taking the tablets in the evening as at the moment I'm taking them about 7am and the side effects last until about 1pm so I was thinking if I was asleep I might be ok? My tablets just say 1 a day but don't specify a time. Any help on this would be really appreciated.

Clare-Louise
19-11-08, 13:47
Hi Rhian,

I take mine early evening, purely because I was scared about how they would affect me so I knew I could just sleep!! I am on day 5 and have taken the last three days off work, have to go back tomorrow so am wondering how I will cope with that, knowing that I still feel really spaced out, more anxious than normal.....my doctor didn't specify when to take them so I guess it is down to trial and error, maybe try them at night and see if that makes a difference for you. Good luck xx

Please when someone gets past the 14/21 day stage post to say how you are feeling and whether it has helped at all !

Scrubbs, you seem to have lots of useful of advice for everyone - thank you for your reply to my post x

cwoz82
19-11-08, 18:17
Having been on 10mg for two weeks i'm now approaching a week on 20mg and i can honestly say that it's getting better now. Seems on the 10mg and the 20mg the side effects peaked around days 3-5, i feel i am coming out the other side now. It's said that the worse the side effects, the better it is working for you, which thinking about it is true...all of this is caused by Chemical/hormonal imbalance in the brain, thus, the more there is to balance out then the more out of sorts you will feel.
Can only say stick with it to anyone in those initial days and if you are having problems in work or with friends and family then it's a lot easier to tell people, my boss has been incredibly supportive and the worst i have had is my in-laws and my Mum asking why i'm having the problems that caused me to take the meds to which i obviously cannot explain, and my in laws are worried their son isn't looking after me!

andrewc
19-11-08, 23:05
Hi

Please give the meds time to work. One thing for sure the side effects do go away. they usually last between 4-6 days but in some cases maybe a little longer. Have patience.

Best regards

Andy

Scrubbs
20-11-08, 09:33
Well, I'm on day 7 now and the nausea is very occasional now and not much of a problem at all. Still feel a bit lethargic and sleeping is a problem but then it was before I started taking them. I asked my GP what was the best time to take them and he recommended in the morning as the idea is for it to help you through the day and take the edge off of those "moments" that cause anxiety.
My family have been great. I met with my boss and he has been really understanding. He had no idea but knew that there was a problem somewhere (I was off work anyway with a medical condition but should have been ok to return a short time ago before I faced up to this other problem).
I am going to have cognitive behavoural therapy (CBT). It's really supposed to help - so with the citalopram I'm hoping to be back at work and getting on with life. Sound positive? Truth is I'm bricking it !!!!:wacko:

Rhian, I think day 4/5 were my worst days. Then suddenly it started to improve.

Scrubbs
20-11-08, 09:41
I don't think I've had any side effects at all so far... only been on them for two days. My main worry is not being able to drink. Nearly all of my social life revolves around drinking, supposed to be going out with my friend for her birthday tomorrow and have never been on a sober night out before! I feel way too self conscious to dance and have fun unless I've had a few drinks, it's going to be awful! :(

So....how did it go? Was it as bad as you thought?

hannahb
20-11-08, 13:36
So....how did it go? Was it as bad as you thought?

Hmmm... I was a bit naughty and drank some alcohol...not sure if its going to lead to my death in several days time.. but we shall see!

I was fine on the night out, it was my poor friend that didn't have a good time. One of her best mates didn't bother turning up and several people who were meant to be there just ignored all our texts and calls and didn't turn up. The whole place was really really dead all night and it was a generally rubbish night! I told her we'd do something fun on friday, she really didn't have a good 21st birthday.

Didn't do any dancing.. was in a bit of a blahh mood :wacko:

Thanks for asking though! :)

This medication seems to be affecting my sleeping, I haven't had more than 5/6 hours sleep a night since I started taking it and some how manage to be wide awake all day. It's really weird.

Plinda400
21-11-08, 12:59
Hi! I am new on this kind of thing so bear with me.

I was prescribed Fluoxetine a few weeks back, but I was having problems sleeping, so my GP said it would be best if I changed to Citalopran 20mg. I started a week ago today, but never realised that the symptons I was having were side effects of the drug. I had the stomach thing, where its like a pressure and a knot in my throught, like if I was nauseous. Also, I have had very bad headaches. I must say that I now feel more relaxed, since I was very depressed and crying all day long, but now I look at life differently. Although I feel the side effects, I also feel the benefits of it already, which if I put on the balance, I prefer to feel physically ill than emotionally depressed.

Is there anyone here that has been on it over a month and can tell me how you feel?

unlovable2
24-11-08, 16:18
Hi, I'm new here myself and 5 days into Citalopram. Reading all the previous posts has been very reassuring. I've used fluoxitine in the past but it was nothing like this. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels spaced out taking citalopram. I get very drowsy if I stop to sit down anywhere, but the slightly "stoned" feeling caught me completely by surprise. Haven't told anyone yet that I'm back on AD meds, but one or two people may have noticed.
I too had a very anxious first night with night terrors and palpitations. Seems to have settled down now, but every day seem slightly different.

Thanks All.

Tony

HeatherMc
24-11-08, 18:03
Hiya all

thought I would reply to this I have been taking Citalopram for nearly five weeks now, I have not had any side effects as such (either they are working very well or bypassing me who knows?) I do feel a bit spacey but that was nothing to the anxiety and depression I was feelng before, I don't feel like a miracle has occurred more a gradual fading away of things - by that I mean bad symptoms etc, I have still been getting very weird dreams and racing disconnected thoughts on waking which worries me, however I managed to get into Liverpool on Saturday am and did a lot of Christmas shopping despite feeling really bad and panicky I had promised my daughter and it was worth a few anxious moments to see her face light up in the shops etc when she was trying clothes on etc.

I am sort of wanting to go back to work and get back in the land of the living so to speak as well but I have three weeks to go on my current sicknote who knows maybe I feel even better in three weeks, however I still do get the bad days they just seem more spaced out than they were so hopefully the good days will over take them,

Good luck to everyone

Heather

Granny Primark
24-11-08, 19:27
I have taken my first 20mg of citalopram about an hour ago.
I have come on here to look up the side affects which seem quite scary.
My worry is that I had to glasses of shandy with my lunch and im now extremely concerned about how it it will affect me.
On a saturday night we normally have a takeaway and a glass of wine with it.
Will that be a no no now ive started taking the tabs?

deb71
24-11-08, 19:50
Hello all,
Well I've been on 20mg for 2 weeks today and after initial worries about taking them and then some frightening side effects for the 1st 10 days, I am pleased to say that I am feeling a lot better and almost all of the side effects are gone.
I had all of the common side effects, sickness, panic attacks, chronic tiredness and feeling dizzy and spaced out. After 10 days all of these seem to have disappeared apart from some of the tiredness which is a lot better and I can now fight through it without having to go to bed.
I have had some stressful things happen this weekend and I coped well and didn't loose any sleep, so the pills seem to be doing their job!:yesyes:
To anyone who is worried about starting on these, you won't know until you try and it does seem to take a while to get used to them, so good luck.:D

ebony1
24-11-08, 23:39
hi everyone,
i'm kicking myself i didn't find you lot before i took my first 20ml tab this morning,
i've never taken anything like it before and practically snatched it out of my docs hand, he told me it would take between 10 days to 3 weeks to notice any change so you can sympathise when an hour later i was having these very scary feelings, hot/cold burning down arms and over head, nausea, shakes, spaced out. i feel so much better just reading that other people have had same feelings too, i won't be taking anymore, i think i would rather try the more holistic approach to my anxiety attacks. I've only just discovered this website and its soooo good to know there's other people out there feeling the same as me
thanks
xxxxxx

jindivik
26-11-08, 02:27
so far i've been on for 9 days, started day 1-7 on 10mg with no really horrendous side effects....bit of a sore tummy and an occasional twitchy muscle. been on 20mg for the past 2 days and had no noticeable side effects at all!

Big_Gaz
26-11-08, 08:40
Hi Folks.

I've been taking Citalopram at a doseage of 40mg per day for about 3 years now. To be honest, I don't remember how I felt when I began taking them, although I had been on Venlafaxine for about a year before that, so already had an SSRI in my system.

What I can say though, is that, in my experience, Citalopram is a useful drug. I have virtually no side effects, aside from sometimes having shaky hands, and they usually keep me steady.

As has been said, they are no miracle cure, and I still have symptoms of depression & anxiety. But, they are much less severe most of the time, and if things do worsen, it's usually predictable.

As it happens, my brother began on 20mg per day about a month ago. He said it kept him awake for a few days, and he felt detached / spaced out for about a week, but he has now settled down, and says they are helping him - he has now gone back to work.

Hope this helps!

Gaz

MOJO
26-11-08, 10:21
Hi Everyone!

I have just officially joined but have been browsing this site for a while. I think it's wonderful. All the advice and comments have really helped with my anxiety/panic attacks. So thanks to everyone for that!
I was prescribed Citalopram 10mg. on Monday by my doctor. I made myself not read the side effects first. (Although I usually do when I get any pills!)
I took the pill before I went to bed, as I was told to do. I couldn't sleep at all although my eyes felt heavy. At 4 0 clock in the morning I began to feel really weird. I felt faint, shaky, very anxious and panicky, also a hot burning feeling down the inside of my chest and back (sounds odd I know!) It was far worse than I had felt before I took the pill. Had to stay in bed all next day. Couldn't possibly have gone out. Decided never to take another one. I couldn't bear even another day of feeling like that.
I was so relieved to go on here and find that so many people had experienced the same side effects. I thought I was going mad and that something terrible was going to happen to me.
I know other people have decided to persevere, and some have no side effects. They are very lucky!
I didn't post this to frighten anyone but just wanted to be honest about my own experience. I know I appreciated reading about everyone's experience with this pill. Good and bad.

MOJO. x

Granny Primark
26-11-08, 10:28
Monday night was the first time id taken the drug. 20mg I was prescribed.
Monday night I too never slept.
However I must say that last night I had a good nights sleep and although still feeling sluggish I do feel calmer and less anxious than I have for the last 2 weeks.
Im determind to take the months supply I was given by my doc no matter what the side affects.
Im hopeful that these will help me.
Ive never taken anything before other than herbal remedies.
After hitting rock bottom last week I dont want to have them feelings of despair again so Im giving them a go.

cwoz82
26-11-08, 20:30
Hello all,

I'm now 2 weeks into my 20mg dose and 4 weeks on Citalopram overall. I feel pretty much "normal" now, it has significantly reduced my anxiety and i've grown to quite like the tired feeling i get two hour after taking the pill, i have been sleeping beautifully!
I have been having some highly vivid and imaginative dreams since being on these pills, i have found i get confused very easily, lose track of what i'm saying and sometimes feel like my head is a DJs turntable...but i do feel so much better on the other side of the worst of it now!

sweetpea24
29-11-08, 13:36
Hi everyone

Just wanted to say thanks for responding to my post and i'm so glad this site exists!!!

Basically just wanted to update everyone from my previous post a couple of weeks back...

So i stoppped taking the 20mg after having severe side effects such as stomach discomfort nausea and tiredness amongst others. I has been taking 20mg for 3 weeks before which i was on 10mg for 3 weeks without sideeffects...I stopped taking it without advice 2 weeks and the news isnt good.....around 2 days after i stopped i felt as though i was in cold turkey, the sickness and stomach discomfort got worse, then severe headaches, then dizzyness and the feeling of being withdrawn and spaced out, all were severe i couldnt move out my bed!!! This lasted around 5-7 days then they all eased....no headaches etc.....but i'm still far from 100%. Still off work, still have a discomfort feeling in my stomach, some days feel spaced out.....but the worse is the nause...its still there!!!! after 2 weeks!!! I thought this pill would be out of my system in 2 weeks!!!! Well no!

Yesterday for around 3 hrs was the first time in around 2 months that i actually felt physically and mentally like myself, the by the afternoon i was back to feelin like crap again....

I went back to my Dr's on thu and she really didnt have a clue to be honest, its really becoming clear that not many Dr's have done there research when it comes to SSRI drugs! She adviced that these are all textbook side effects as with the withdrawal symptoms.....i asked her again is it normal to still feel nausea and have this life halting stomach discomfort even after 2 weeks of not taking the pill??? Then came a glimer of hope, forgive me cos i cant quite remember her exact words, but she said that these tablets are a GASTRO somet somet....(sorry i did try to memorise her exact words but i forgot) meaning they do tend to effect or aggitate the stomach and when this happens it can take a while for the stomach to get back to normal.........anybody out there if you can understand that or extend further it would be much much appreciated!!!!

Anyway she then went on to prescribe me 10mg of the same pill...the wonderful CITALOPRAM!!!!! I asked if this was a good idea, i mean i dont wanna undermine my DR she's the Dr here ofcourse and she said that as i had no side effects with taking 10mg i should continue on these and come back in 2 weeks to see how its going!!!

But i'm unsure???? I really dnt wanna take any more pills!!! I'm on anti sickness and diazipam....and i dnt wanna go through any more side effects!!

To be honest how i'm feeling now is much worse than how i was feeling when i was taking them!!! But you know the really ironic thing here??? They did exactly what they were supposed to do!! Psycologically i felt better than ever!! no more panick attacks or intense anxiety....but that just wasnt worth the side effects i'm affraid...so i'm at a cross roads....i feel more depressed than ever purley due to me stressing about my health.....

Is there anyone who has had similar effects when withdrawing???

sorry for the long msg, i'm just at my wits end....i wish i'd never started taking these pills!!!!

metroas
01-12-08, 14:35
Hi, I was prescribed 20mg citalopram 6 weeks ago for panic disorder. The first night was very uncomfortable but within about 3 days i felt a drastic improvement and its only been getting better since. I have the occasional day where i feel depressed again but these are very infrequent and becoming easier to cope with as time goes by. I just wanted to tell people that this stuff can be brilliant if you are prepared to work with it. By no means is it a permanent solution as sometimes i feel a bit surreal and uncomfortable but overall I love the stuff it has helped me tremendously.

Eleven
01-12-08, 16:45
Anyone else get a tight feeling throat? Yawning makes it worse (which I'm doing a lot at the mo!) Today was day 4 for me. My health anxieties are still all over the shop!

sweetpea24
02-12-08, 06:31
Hi Eleven, yes i did expereice a tightness of the throat almost like i wouldnt be able to swallow but it passed farely quickly...

Just an update from the last post....it is the 16th day of not taking Citalopram and i'm starting to feel (touch wood) better....the sickness is very little and same with dizziness....but my stomach is still feeling sore probably from shock as these are Gastro intestinal pills...and still a little tired but i think i can finally see a way out now, there is light!!!!

I wont be taking these tablets nor any other AD again, im currently in the process of receiving therapy which i find is working really well, im learing how to gain my confidence back, not feel like a failure, value my life and most importantly how to keep my panick and anxiety under control. I have a wonderful therapist who supports my decision to stop taking these pills.

And that would be my advice, if there is any way you can get some great therapy/councilling and stay on a low dosage of AD or none at all go for it.....pills arent the way to go.....whether they work for you or not. also websites such as these have been such an amazing help!!!

if the NHS and the government spent more on Specialist therapy rather than AD things could be different for the better...

I'm still a long way from being me but i can finally see me getting there, and without pills!!!

Please dont think i am condenming anyway who chooses to take AD, I have a family history of mental health problems currently with 2 amily members in institutions so i no full well that tablets can work.....but i'm proud of myself for taking the scary decision to stop taking them and to only stick with the therapy...Mind over Matter....

But last night tragedy struck in my family, My gran died in hospital peacefully with all the family by her side...she suffered with Alzheimer's and got worse very quickly, i thought this may send me back into a depression however i took strength from family and friends...and im ok....

RIP Gran..i will see you when i get there....xxxx

Fluffpicker
02-12-08, 12:49
What a great website!

I've just been prescribed Citalopram after bursting into tears at the doctors surgery this morning. I've suffered with anxiety & depression for 15years. I've never taken this drug & I've just taken my first tablet around 5mins ago!! Some of the side efects that people have listed are effecting me already, I have flu-like symptoms but doc says my blood tests are fine...blah blah. I'm not a great fan of antidepressants, anything that make you feel worse is not worth taking in my book! However, I'm at the end of my tether with the mood swings & palpitations etc. I think doctors in this country are too quick to prescribe medicine. Last week they gave me amitriptyline, took two at night as prescribed, had a great nights sleep but was a complete monster the next day. I'll keep you posted on how this one effects me.

To top of my aprehension of the drug, the doc said to take 10mg to start with but chemist has given me 20mg!!

x1sjwebster
03-12-08, 10:21
i have been taking citalopram for over 2 years for depression and panic attacks.
I can honestly say that i have not had a panic attack since a few weeks after starting them.
Side effects have been very very mild confusion just find myself forgetting what i came into the shop for that sort of thing.
lack of sex drive.
My Panic attacks took the form of very high heart rate sweating utterly convinced that i was having a heart attack/stoke/blood clot/brain seizure you name it i was having it,this went on for 20 years plus.
Self medicated with alcohol for years which really only makes things much worse but provides oblivion for a short period.
25mg of beta blockers for over 15 years helped a little to slow my heart rate but never helped with the anxiety still take 10mg attenolol.
We are all different but the citalopram has helped me a lot and the mild side effects are worth the relative peace of mind i now have.
Sj

cwoz82
03-12-08, 14:09
Hello,
I am now 5 weeks into my medication. I felt wonderful all last week, so i had a little drink on saturday night (2 glasses of wine, 3 beers over 4-5hours), did not feel any let up in my alcohol tolerance at all. But what i have been having is bouts of angst and panic since sunday afternoon, today is particularly bad. I don't know about anyone else but i have PD and i stopped taking any caffienated or sugary drinks a few months back and sunday morning i had a caffeinated cup of coffee, sunday afternoon i had a couple of gulps of regular coke too...i don't know if this ressurection of my anxiety is as a result of the meds working/not, the alcohol or the caffeine, i'm going in circles trying to figure it out...if anyone else has experinced this please let me know. I feel a bit neurotic asking but i feel like this is the only place someone might understand.
Although, for any ladies...do you find your symptoms get worse once a month??? I don't know if this could also explain it

purple to black
03-12-08, 22:45
Hey

Just wanted to say that yes i find my anxiety gets worse around that time of the month.

Im too scared to take Citalopram or any meds for that matter, i wish i could but hey ho! Currently receiving CBT which is good, albeit very hard work and lots of courage, im getting to the point where my therapist is asking me to do things im not sure i can :mad: makes me so mad.

Plods on!

BarneyGumball
04-12-08, 11:22
Hi,

I have posted in the introduce yourself section about my backkground.

I took my first one last night (as prescribed) 20mg, and this morning I feel awful. Shakey, headache, jittery, loose bowel and just plain sick. I am NEVER the sort of person to vomit, but this morning I was retching but brining nothing which is strange as I had just eaten.

I am waiting (and waiting and waiting) for the local GP to call back to speak to him and ask if I can drop to 10mg for the next week or so.

I never read the side effects leaflet until I had these feeling this morning, so I wasn't anticpating them. What worries me is gut feeling that I will be sti=uck on this darn things for longer that the 28 days she has prescribed. I REALLY don't want that. Also the other member that have posted about loss if sex drive etc. ... does this come back after you get off the things?

Thaks to all the posters on here - I'm glad I am not alone in feeling these things.

BG.

BarneyGumball
04-12-08, 12:42
Doc said ok to half the dose .. :)

Lets hope I feel better tomorrow

hightimes631
04-12-08, 17:26
Hi,

My Dr put me on Citalopram (10mg) about 2 months ago for anxiety/panic disorder, but im not talking about 1 or 2 panic attacks a week, im on about on average 2 a day.
My Dr at first was very apprehensive on giving me Citalopram because of my history and age. I am only 18 and have had a history of drug abuse, depression and self harm, (I see his point, lol).
So what he did was give me Diazepam as well, my message is that if you still can't grit and bear the anxiety before the Citalopram kicks in properly (trust me it will and the side effects will go) go to your GP and ask for short term relief.
I was quite lucky and didn't get many side effects, just a bit lightheaded and sleepyness.
I am now on 20mg and still hardly any side effcets. but i do recommend taking the tablet twice daily. E.g. take one 20mg cut in half and take half at lunch WITH FOOD and half at dinner WITH FOOD, i say this reduce side effects.

I hope i have been of use.
Any questions or queries I would be happy to answer.

hope you all do well.

Shane Abbott.

andrewc
04-12-08, 19:28
Hi All

The side effects if any affect different people in different ways.
Not everybody gets them and even if they do they go away after a few days.
Just hang in there cos they take a while to kick in ususally between 10-14 days.

Please dont read too much into the leaflet about side effects as most of them are put there to cover the company legally. Try reading the leaflets and side effects of ordinary pain killers they are even worse.

Best of luck

Andy

BarneyGumball
05-12-08, 09:03
Day Two:

Cut a 20mg in half last night and just took 10mg.

This morning ... minor sick feeling (no retching) and a mega headache is still here. And still tired ...

Glad a reduced the doseage :)

ineedadrinknow
08-12-08, 10:54
The only thing I found uncomfortable was the way it changed my thought pattern. I couldn't think on anything for too long, and I couldn't think very deeply either.

HI
I've just joined this site after stumbling across it on a google search- It's fantastic to have a detailed debate about these pills- your above quote has really hit home with me, I tries Cital for a week and the strange thought processes terrified me, as I am an introverted person who lives in my head, and a deep thinker ( and a student) I went off them straight away ( 20mg)

I found that I simply couldn't access whole chunks of my brain/memories !

My queston is- did this persist after you acclimatised to taking them?

Jan63
08-12-08, 11:33
I'm on day 5 of them now and meant to go on a full 20mg tablet from today but I have felt really tired just taking 10mg although I do feel very depressed at the moment so maybe it's that and not the tablets.:huh:

hoobydoo
08-12-08, 13:31
New to all of this and need some re-assurance I am not alone in my experience.
I have not had the best of years with work and relationship and have gradually got more and more low. My Doctor recently prescribed me 20mg of Citalopram daily.
I took my first dose at around mid-day having not eaten for the previous few days. Later on in the day I had 2 small glasses of wine, and by 9.30P.M. I felt utterly suicidal and took further tablets.
Obviously I have now stopped taking them and hope the damage my relationship will not be permanent.

I have read down through the lists of side effects and seen other people having suicidal tendancies, but can it really happen this quickly or am I just using the tablets as an excuse?
Has anyone else had similar experinces?

STEPHYUNO
08-12-08, 14:32
Hi Suzy, hope you're feeling ok today, I am in my thirties now and have been on and off different forms of anti depressants since my teens.
What you describe are normal side effects and they do calm down, however I would question the appropriateness of 20 mg, I am on 10 mg a day just now and it's ok, Stephen x

phillipab
08-12-08, 14:32
i am also on citalopram 20mg, and have been for 3 months. I have had no side affects, but have done research on the drug. It is highly unlikely that you will feel anything immediatley, as the drug needs to be in your system for 3 weeks at least to start making any impact.
I think the suicidal tendancies and other side effects that some of you are commenting on, are effects of your illness, and are probabaly semantic.
Further more @ hoobydoo- DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL. Whilst on this medication you are not supposed to drink at all, and i suggest that if you feel you need to, you should talk to your doctor about it. I would also suggest seeking councelling/therapy immediatley xx

phillipab
08-12-08, 14:36
also read that some of you are cutting the dosage yourself- STOP DOING THIS. Your doctor would not have put you on this doseage if he/she didn't think you needed it. YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER GO AGAINST YOUR DOCTORS ADVICE. Any side affects you are feeling, will not last for long and if you are really concerned you should contact your doctor straight away, but do not cease taking the prescribed drug/doseage until you have seeked medical advice.

Scrubbs
08-12-08, 21:15
Just an update from the last post....it is the 16th day of not taking Citalopram and i'm starting to feel (touch wood) better....the sickness is very little and same with dizziness....but my stomach is still feeling sore probably from shock as these are Gastro intestinal pills...and still a little tired but i think i can finally see a way out now, there is light!!!!

I wont be taking these tablets nor any other AD again, im currently in the process of receiving therapy which i find is working really well, im learing how to gain my confidence back, not feel like a failure, value my life and most importantly how to keep my panick and anxiety under control. I have a wonderful therapist who supports my decision to stop taking these pills.

And that would be my advice, if there is any way you can get some great therapy/councilling and stay on a low dosage of AD or none at all go for it.....pills arent the way to go.....whether they work for you or not. also websites such as these have been such an amazing help!!!

if the NHS and the government spent more on Specialist therapy rather than AD things could be different for the better...

I'm still a long way from being me but i can finally see me getting there, and without pills!!!

Well done peabrain, great to see you are coming out the other side - and for those of you who doubt it there is an "other side".
I had anti-depresants many years ago until I realised that I had the choice of being like that for life (and maybe to death) or getting MYSELF out of it. It was tough but I did it. "Tomorrow is a new day" has massive significant meaning to me - I took each day as it came and refused to allow those poisonous thoughts to eat away at myself.

Now on Citalopram (20mg) for something different and it's working for me. Four weeks in and the side effects have gone and I'm feeling good.

As for the therapy Peabrain talks about I cant recommend it highly enough. Forget the "shrink" attitude that most people attach to it.....there are real benefits and it's great to be able to discuss your most intimate and silly fears with someone who doesn't care (I mean that in a nice way) but will give good advice about how YOU can change your world.
The pills help start you on the road - the therapy gets you to the end.

For the record if anyone is willing to give it a go ask your GP about CBT (cognative behavioural therapy) it's the bees knees!!!!! But you have to be willing to give it a chance.

leolove
08-12-08, 21:44
Hi, ive just found this website an i joined it because i thought it might help me a bit.
im 17 years old and ive been depressed for some time now, and recently the episodes have become worse and more frequent. my doctor has just prescribed me Citalopram, at 20mg a day, and my mum is really wourried because it says on the leaflet you should take half the dose at first and then up it as you go on. it also says that it should be only taken by over 18s, and although i am 17, im not 18 for 9 months so im a bit wourried.
i just want a chat really about it from a couple of people that understand about the drug.
Thannks a lot :)
xxx

cailz
09-12-08, 15:04
Hi everyone, i just though i would let you know that the side effects of Citalopram do wear off eventually and i am feeling great now apart from the few little changes in my temperament and feelings.

Fluffpicker
11-12-08, 17:07
I'm now on day 10 & have not had any side effects! I think this is the right drug for me. My palpitations have gone & I'm sleeping better. I think like a lot of people have said, that this drug effects different people in differnt ways. This is my positive feedback for those with doubts; but overall if you have any adverse reactions always see your Gp.

montycat
12-12-08, 10:19
Hi, I am new to this site and have found it helpful in knowing what I am experiencing is normal. I have been taking citalopram for a week now, and on taking the tablet my mouth clenches, I get occasional muscle twitches and feel sick. That dissappears but today I am having palpitations. I am finding myself having to keep taking deep breaths which is really annoying. I cant seem to think of anything else.
The good side of it is I must say, is my head is more clear. I am able to think again. I was diagnosed with depression after separating from my husband, and really went into myself. I have been signed off from work till the new year, because I just couldnt think straight, and I self harmed which was very frightening.

I still find that everything is taking twice as long to do, but I think they are starting to work. The doctor said I can come off them in six months but reading the other posts, it seems that some of you have been reliant on them for years. I dont want to get dependent on them. I have lost my appetite as well but that could be a good thing. Im also worried about losing my sex drive. Lol. I dont want that to happen.

SPUDDLEDUCK
12-12-08, 11:17
have been taking citalopram for about 3 weeks now after a mad sad moment .... am scared but hopeful. im diabetic (insulin treated) and my readings have been going crazy. i dont know if it is related to the pills or if it is just my general hoobydoobiness. has anyone else had a similar experience.

Rhian
12-12-08, 16:26
Well I've been on 10mg for about 3 weeks now and all the side effects have gone apart from diarrhea. I have IBS any way but the tablets seem to be making it a lot worse. As my panic attacks are linked to a fear of not being able to reach a toilet my anxiety has actually increased. I'm going to see the doctor on Wednesday to discuss what to do. There's a possibility I could just be going through a bad patch with my IBS but it seems far too coincidental. I'm wondering if I should just come back off them as they appear to be doing more harm than good.

L011ip0p
12-12-08, 16:38
ive been on it for just over 2 weeks... a didnt sleep for the first 2 nights, kept waking up feeling shaky and nervous. i also had a splitting headache and dizzyness but after4 days they all wore off and im fine now :) ive gone n caught a rotten cold but im definatly feeling more positive and my engry levels are getting better :D

HeatherMc
12-12-08, 17:56
I have been taking this for about 8 weeks now and somehow it appears to have stopped working, or has it worked at all I take 20 mgs and lately it does not appear to be touching me has anyone else had this and do I need to increase the dosage, I am due to see the GP on Monday, I so much want to be better and to return to work soon.

Cheers

Heather

Mandi Apple
16-12-08, 08:59
Can I just ask if anyone else found that on increasing their dose, they had "brain zaps"...? I had two over a three-day period, and I had thought they only occurred when you decreased your dosage, not increased it :doh:

stellabella
16-12-08, 14:51
I have been prescribed Citalopram today and will take it for the first time tonight...a bit worried as I don't want to have any side effects and be ill for tomorrow or actually any day as I can't take any days off work...

Fingers crossed all will be OK :)

cwoz82
18-12-08, 15:26
I have been taking this for about 8 weeks now and somehow it appears to have stopped working, or has it worked at all I take 20 mgs and lately it does not appear to be touching me has anyone else had this and do I need to increase the dosage, I am due to see the GP on Monday, I so much want to be better and to return to work soon.

Cheers

Heather

HeatherMc...how did it go at the doctors??
I am 7 weeks into my treatment and starting to feel the same as yourself, i feel like my side effects have worn off but so has the daze that was masking my panic disorder has lifted and i'm back to square one, i feel the panic and anxiety is making a daily come back, whilst at this point i should be feeling the meds kicking in!

HeatherMc
19-12-08, 08:13
Hiya

Sorry just seen your post hun, I went to GP and he doubled the dose from 20 mgs to 40 mgs, I was really worried about the hike in dosage but he said it was a normal dose and 40 is still not that high, the last couple of days I have been feeling a lot better but getting very clear dreams and weird racing thoughts on waking when I wake up through the night and trying to get back to sleep. I am scared of this but trying to ignore it.

Can anyone else relate to this symptom

Thanks

Heather

Millz
20-12-08, 12:40
I took Citalopram for the first time this morning, I was so afraid of how I might feeling after reading the side effects and worrying constantly of how it would make me feel. I took 10mg, the first attempt I ended up spitting the tablet out because so many negative thoughts rushed into my head.
Half an hour later I had another go and took it, being pessimistic I sat waiting for any side effects to occur. Felt slightly sick but I think that was just the anxiety from waiting in suspense.

I'm happy to say that I didn't feel any significant side effects, after reading some of the previous posts on this thread and people saying they experienced side effects within half an hour has relieved me. It's been over 2 hours now and I feel fine.

It just proves that a lot of the time it can be mind over matter, if you dwell on something too much you'll make yourself believe bad things will happen.
Although I do hope no side effects pop up in the next few days, I have family coming over to stay for christmas and the last thing I want to be doing is causing some sort of scene.

I say go for it, if you have been told to start your dose on 20mg and feel uncomfortable with it, then discuss with your doctor whether it would be worth trying just 10mg to start off with. The only way you are going to know what will happen is by taking the medication. Just imagine leaving it and then forever wondering what would have happened if you did take it. I talked to a guy who said he used to have extremely bad panic attacks, had to get rushed to hospital, even going out to the shops made him panic. Which sounds so much similar to me. But then he told me, this medication has changed his life, he's back to his old self again, going out, socializing and overall feeling great.

So ask yourself, is it worth it? for the sake of some side effects that may only last a matter of days.

Hope this has helped anyone, especially the people who are in anticipation of taking this medication.

Thanks

cwoz82
21-12-08, 12:15
HeatherMc, i can totally relate to the dreams...i have had incredibly vivid dreams since starting my 20mg dosage 6 weeks ago, so much so that i wake and i have to take the time to figure out what is real - the nits in my hair that looked like cockroaches last night i think i can safely assume wasn't real!! The dreams sometimes don't come to me until later on in the day, it's like i have a flashback and it's really confusing, like dreaming i had a row with my sister to have to justify why i should have panic disorder in the first place and her thinking i was pathetic for it - didn't happen, i dreamt it but it sure as heck felt incredibly real!!
I have feared that i may have to increase my dose, and if the dreams get worse with it, it's rather madening!! Are you seeing any return in the side effects??

MVP123
21-12-08, 13:22
Can anyone tell me what effect alcohol had on them the next day whilst on Citalopram?

stellabella
22-12-08, 10:34
well i've been on Citalopram (10mg dose) for a week now, the first couple of days started out ok, i am now on day 6 and feel more anxious and nervous than i ever have in my life! i'm also getting bad headaches and feeling sick a lot of the time, but its the increased anxiety which is th worst. someone please tell me that this will pass soon?! it's already been a week. i'm going to see the doctor again tomorrow so i'll tell her all about it then.

as for alcohol, the only thing i noticed was that i got drunk a lot faster, and it was a different kind of drunk...i got very emotional lol. next day wasn't too bad though and my hangover was no worse than normal.

Pill-Popper
22-12-08, 14:43
day 3 and i'm yawning every 5 seconds...not even tired though...jaw also feels kinda stiff lol

Jan63
22-12-08, 15:52
Can anyone tell me what effect alcohol had on them the next day whilst on Citalopram?
It hasn't had any effect on me at all.:) I don't drink everynight but I do like the odd drink or two this time of year but it didn't make me feel any different at all, not sick or anything. I'm on 20mg of Citalopram at the moment but my doctor will probably be upping it to 40mg in the new year because she says it works best for anxiety where as depression responds to a lower dose.:shrug:

Jan63
22-12-08, 15:54
day 3 and i'm yawning every 5 seconds...not even tired though...jaw also feels kinda stiff lol

Yes I found myself yawning a lot when I first started taking them. I also felt quite tired too but I've been on them just over two weeks now and I am not having any side effects or anything.

CathyR
22-12-08, 16:28
Hi

I've been on Citalapram for 18 Months most of which was on 40 mg, but have recently managed to step it down to 30mg. Really would not advise cold turkey, have only forgotten my meds once and ended up feeling suicidale. It took me a week to get used to changing from 40 to 30 would hate to think what going Cold Turkey would do!

Mel W
22-12-08, 17:43
Hey all. Thanks for sharing your experiences, good and bad. I was prescribed this stuff this morning (for anxiety, panic attacks and depression) and am just still plucking up the nerve to start taking it.

It seems like these side effects are quite common, but then I suppose people are more likely to post of their bad experiences than people who didn't notice any. Thanks especially to those that posted that they didn't notice any, though. Very reassuring and helpful as a bit of balance.

To look at it another way, this type of medicine must be one of the most 'worried about' by people before they take it - more so than other types of medicine - just because we're all in an anxious enough state to need it!

Anyway, reading your stories has really helped me.

I've only been put on 10mg to start with so I'm reassured that that seems a safer starting point than the higher doses.

Will see how I get on.

Jan63
22-12-08, 18:08
Yes I started on 10mg too and just noticed that I seemed to yawn a lot after taking it but no bad side effects. Good luck and I'm sure you will be fine.:hugs:

Burnsey
22-12-08, 21:26
when i was prescribed anti deps, my doctor said i would feel worse before feeling better and it was true but im glad i stuck it out

Mel W
22-12-08, 22:39
when i was prescribed anti deps, my doctor said i would feel worse before feeling better and it was true but im glad i stuck it out
Well after hitting rock bottom over the weekend, but picking up slightly today, I don't know whether the 'worse' will be worse than my rock bottom or worse than I am now. :unsure:

Still, I've started the tablets now so will just try not to sweat too much about possible side effects etc and hope they do me some good soon.

The encouraging words on here make it a lot clearer that for most people any bad effects are usually very short and the benefits do come, so my fingers are crossed.

Thanks Jan63.

Mel W
23-12-08, 10:19
Wow, I hope I haven't read too much about side effects before taking my tablets.

Only took my first one yesterday and only slept for an hour last night. Woke after crazy dreams and was awake, sweating, jaw-clamping, worrying and having terrible thoughts all night.

I'm only on 10mg and didn't think they'd even affect me yet. I felt so bad I didn't want to take any more but my wife thinks I should stick with them and plough through it. It already feels so hard though.

She's right, though, right?

Kirstoff
23-12-08, 19:52
I took my first Citalopram yesterday. Within half an hour I wanted to throw up then felt really tired. Had a little afternoon sleep but when I woke up I had the most painful headache but a couple of ibuprofen soon took it away.

When I woke up this morning I felt remarkably fresh (not like I usually do). Took pill number 2 and have had the shakes on and off all day. If these are the only side effects I'm going to get then that's fine, I can handle it.

I only wish that my doctor would have put me on these (or something like them) when my problems first started 12 years ago. Then maybe my marriage wouldn't be in the mess it's in which brought my depression to a head. The hard part now is telling my friends and family about it.

Mel W
24-12-08, 10:18
I must admit, I don't know how much of the 'side effects' me or anyone else experiences is down to worry about taking the tablet in the first place.

I think I might have just felt worse first time because I was up all night worrying about having taken it and what might or might not happen.

36 hrs after taking my first one, it seems the sweating and jaw thing and a bit of nausea were very shortlived and I probably brought them on myself through worry (which is understandable given why most of us have been given them, I think).

Last night went to bed feeling a lot more calm and worrying less about my second one, actually got half a night's sleep and I've felt noticeably better for it.

I hope it carries on getting better each day!

wighty
27-12-08, 18:30
:shades: well done decca i would like to say ive had panic attacks for 25 years and acute anxiety disorder ive done the get the pills and never took them and got back to normal for a while if you have a chemical im-balance seritonin it may come back it may not i go through stages in my life and have tried all sorts you name it ive had it and at the time all of them have helped or not helped i resorted in the end to alcohol it was like a miracle to start with but dont go there you will end up like i did a complete alcoholic another problem i had to get over i feel from my long experience that its in you to be anxious from an early age and with the pressures of life and relationships this anxiety is fuelled by drug /alcohol mis use or any kind of pressure resulting in a chemical in balance thats what i believe i love life and accept this irratation good luck
Hi,
About 9 weeks ago I was suffering what my Doc. called multiple symptom anxiety, I had dizzyness,nausea,palpitations,racing heart,panic attacks, severe anxiety ,scared me just looking out the window and the tension in my stomach and muscles was unbearable like every nerve in my body was on edge.
My Doc prescribed Citalopram but being scared of the side effects people were talking about on here I DIDN'T start taking them, I also talked it over with my therapist ( had 6 sessions of CTB ) and he said I wasn't showing any signs of Depression.
That was 9 weeks ago and today without taking the meds I feel almost back to my old self just get a little bit of early morning tension but I can cope with that.

Best wishes
Decca.

iicceeman
28-12-08, 10:03
Hi All, ive been on Citalopram for 5 months now, the first month wasnt good, horrible taste in mouth but that goes, just thirsty a lot now. The other side effects ive noticed is i have lost all sense of fear and when i have sex with my girlfriend i cannot ejaculate, can go for hours. I was suicidal and self harming, these tablets have helped, i still get my down days and some wonderfull headaches but they do work. keep going with them. Im on 30mg. Take care all X

iicceeman
28-12-08, 10:07
I took my first Citalopram yesterday. Within half an hour I wanted to throw up then felt really tired. Had a little afternoon sleep but when I woke up I had the most painful headache but a couple of ibuprofen soon took it away.

When I woke up this morning I felt remarkably fresh (not like I usually do). Took pill number 2 and have had the shakes on and off all day. If these are the only side effects I'm going to get then that's fine, I can handle it.

I only wish that my doctor would have put me on these (or something like them) when my problems first started 12 years ago. Then maybe my marriage wouldn't be in the mess it's in which brought my depression to a head. The hard part now is telling my friends and family about it.

They will understand Kirstoff, just explain to them, you will get the "pull yourself together" speech but these are from the people that do not understand, ive been through it all myself, they will understand X

iicceeman
28-12-08, 10:10
Yes I started on 10mg too and just noticed that I seemed to yawn a lot after taking it but no bad side effects. Good luck and I'm sure you will be fine.:hugs:
How old are you Jan? if you dont mind me asking:)

cwoz82
29-12-08, 14:34

I noticed on my packet that it advises not to take Ibuprofen...my doctor actually told me to take Ibuprofen for a throat infection but when i mentioned the advice on the packet he looked it up and it apparently increases the risk of a stomach bleed - just thought you should know that it's only really paracetamol you can safely take

stellabella
29-12-08, 15:20
hi all

ive been on these for 2 weeks now (10mg) and i'm still not feeling any better, should i stick with the 10mg or increase to 20mg? i dont want the same side effects again as i've got this week off work but cant take anymore time off after that!

kaysheldon
30-12-08, 19:16
Hey..

i take 40 mg of Citalopram daily for severe health anxiety and i find that the worst side effects are Headaches and absolute, awful fatigue, i dont know if this has been mentioned but i began taking them in the evening so i woke up refreshed ready for the day ahead.. it can help, especially if you have trouble sleeping with anxiety x x x x x

EvilCaz
30-12-08, 23:36
They do work, i spent about a week not being able to sleep AT ALL!
Felt really down and sicky, they didn't start making me feel normal (normal?) for about a 8 weeks, then i felt good.

However...

I am coming off them now and i feel terrible.... really bad side effects.

EvilCaz
30-12-08, 23:38
I noticed on my packet that it advises not to take Ibuprofen...my doctor actually told me to take Ibuprofen for a throat infection but when i mentioned the advice on the packet he looked it up and it apparently increases the risk of a stomach bleed - just thought you should know that it's only really paracetamol you can safely take

DO NOT take ibruprofen with them... I did and i felt really really bad. Not advised at all, stick with paracetamol :unsure:

aj51
31-12-08, 18:04
I have been on citalopram for three days on a 20mg dose. The main issue is an inability to sleep and my head feels really heavy like I have done drugs like cannabis. I already feel less anxious which is good but my head is foggy. I hope with time this improves, I will keep everyone posted on this.

aj51
31-12-08, 22:46
Been on it for three days and feel tired but cannot sleep, bleeding from my bowels, nose bleeds, feel dizzy but less anxious, not sure side effects worth it but will see how it goes, I am on 20mg, feel like I have been well drugged up, x

thegirlwho
01-01-09, 11:25
Hi evryone i am new here.

I like many of you searched the internet for answers, Hope, and some sense of been the typical quote "normal".

It was good to see all of you saying how i felt from time to times.
I notice alot of you have only just started or are on low doses to start you off. I hope you don't mind but i thought i would tell you my story on them as someone who is on a high dose and has been on them for four months. :D

I like all of you was giving the tablet and i am not going to lie the first week was god awfull and i just wanted to die. I would throw up everyday over worry and fear..that's why i am on them for anxiety. I enjoyed just sleeping and watching mind numbing telly anything to take my mind of my troubles.
I felt great for two weeks then down really really down.
My doctor told me this happens with this tablet a sense of feeling good then a relapse it's just your body enjoying it but then telling you actualy you need more. This happened to me right up till i got put up to 40mg..A month on and i havent had "the fall" and thats brilliant news for me i found my stop point. I never thought i would start to feel better.

It's very hard to forget how bad you where at the start and you do everyday wake up thinking is this going to be a good day? And you do have bad days you do but look back and remember you aint on the toliet throwing up you aint sweating to death.
I still grind my teeth,Having "spaced out" moments..(something my family call going into emily land!) and feel worry everyday but i am still getting there it's not a fast thing.I mean this is silly but it's a example
the other day i bought a top for twenty pound coz i shown the same top with a cheaper price tag on when i knew fine well it was a higher price i felt so so bad and ended up ringing to offer the extra money! stupid i know but thats the illness for you! But without the tablets i wonder how bad i would of been.Proberly shaking and throwing up and crying..
And i now been asked to have congitive thearpy aswell this is something i am not relaxed with but taking that first tablet i felt the same.But i am going to do it. I will keep you all posted.

Please let me know if this has helped anyone i would ike to hope so :D:hugs:

flix08
01-01-09, 20:56
yeah that was helpful - its always helpful to know youre not the only one going through something.

Ive been on citalopram since monday and today has been my worst day - Ive literally spent the whole day sleeping, and i cant seem to do much else. ive got a constant headache and dry mouth, and im drinking loads of water but nothing seems to help. Im really worried because i cant get any work done and i have so much due in so soon.

does anyone know any ways to combat these side effects? thanks

thegirlwho
01-01-09, 21:22
Well i suggest just try and eat i know sometimes this is hard to with thease tablets but they really help your mood. As for the dry mouth i found this only lasted the first few weeks and the sleeping! so on my experiences they will fade. I say if your worried about getting work done if you can maybe see your doctor for a temp sick note or something. But it will get better this wont last forever you should feel better soon. It's hard i know.
my symtoms where dry mouth grinding teethe yawning loads funny thoughts feeling crazy constant twitching and bad headaches.

I hope you start to feel better soon.
Eating is the best thing to do and try and take your tablets around the same time of the day i think routine with this tablet helps

:hugs:

reallyfedup
02-01-09, 11:52
just come off seroxat on saturday 40mg for 11 years and taking citalopram 20 mg. Feel awful dizzy panicky shaking rushes of adrenaline headaches off balance can't stand up! This is to name just the worst. I take amitryptaline 10 mg at night with zopiclone. Can anyone relate to this? Will I ever feel better? Feel like crying all time.

flix08
02-01-09, 17:02
yeah the side effects are a lot worst than i thought, but ive been told they get better. for the last few days ive not been able to get out of bed. yesterday i woke up at 8 and then went back to sleep at 11 pretty much all day. then i went to bed at 10, woke up at 11 and have been alseep again till 4. its so ridicidulous because now i feel down about doing nothing for too days. anyone else have problems with sleeping too much?

reallyfedup
02-01-09, 17:30
I too feel bad for just lying on sofa for 6 days. I am just too dizzy and can not focus on anything.sorry you are unwell but we know now we are not alone

HeatherMc
02-01-09, 17:52
anyone get weird dreams with this and weird disconnected thoughts when sort of in that limbo between waking and sleep

apart from this weird effect they seem to be helping with the health anxiety but this is worrying me now

Thanks ever so much

Heather

stellabella
02-01-09, 18:36
i've been getting really vivid dreams and nightmares and feel like i just want to sleep all the time....not good over christmas time. supposed to be going back to work on monday but really not feeling up to it yet...not sure what to do :(

armanoo
02-01-09, 18:58
yeah the side effects are a lot worst than i thought, but ive been told they get better. for the last few days ive not been able to get out of bed. yesterday i woke up at 8 and then went back to sleep at 11 pretty much all day. then i went to bed at 10, woke up at 11 and have been alseep again till 4. its so ridicidulous because now i feel down about doing nothing for too days. anyone else have problems with sleeping too much?

yes i do :( :weep:

although it was my first dose yesterday but it was such a horrible night .. i kept waking up like every half an hour !!and hardly slept 4 hours all together !

i hope that wont last long time

FallenAngell8806
03-01-09, 02:43
Hi, I've been prescribed Citalopram today and have just stumbled onto this site which I wish I found earlier. Anyways, what is the deal with the medication? Just Googled it and found alot of side effects, the most worrying to me however is the sleep disturbance and insomnia because I already can't sleep! So what can I expect?

Also hi!

Asha1979
03-01-09, 02:57
Hey Im starting it tomorrow for the 2nd time. I was on it last year. The sleep disturbances dont last long. I would wake up in the middle of the night for no reason and go back to sleep. This all passes and then you will have great sleeps so dont be worrying about it. Your body just needs to get used to it. I was hoping as it is my 2nd time on it that the side effects I had wont be as bad so fingers crossed for both of us x

reallyfedup
03-01-09, 11:17
my sleep is awful and I take a sleeping pill also I get wierd dreams also. When do initial side effects go? I crying also all the time. Came off seroxat to go on citalopram and now wonder if its all worth it! Anyone else done this?:weep:

bagpuss
03-01-09, 15:36
This thread has scared the pants off me. Im going to start taking this drug next week. I have 4 year old twins and a very busy life, how am i supposed to cope if i get such awful side effects? I dont want to talk myself into being badly on them and i know its hopefully for the greater good, but the whole thing is very frightening now.

I dont suppose there are many tips to help either. Just drink plenty of water and eat little and often. Do they give you anything else with the drug to lessen the effects to begn with, im currently on diazepam as i had a rather large meltdown last week. Do they continue this for a bit whilst the brain adapts to the citalopram or is it tough-it-out and hope for the best?

Emily99
03-01-09, 20:08
I really don't know what to do, I've had these pills for a few weeks now & still haven't managed to start taking them. Not only has reading about all the side effects put me off, but alot of people say they also cause weight gain! I was just going to grin & bare the side effects, but there's no way I want to put on weight. Maybe it just increases appetite so you are still in control of your weight, but some seem to think their diet didn't change. But on the other hand if I don't start taking them I'm just going to keep feeling down all the time! Really don't know what to do =(

reallyfedup
03-01-09, 23:05
I did not expect changing from seroxat to citalopram to be giving me such scary times. My dr has said I can take chlordiazepoxide which is a tranquillizer at same time so you may be able to combine diazepam with it? I have tried to cope without a tranq.as have been addicted to them. 11years ago -came off them quickly when I fell pregnant and don't want to go through withdrawal from these again!I take sleeping pill.you may not have any side effects?!?! Good luck

cwoz82
04-01-09, 14:21
anyone get weird dreams with this and weird disconnected thoughts when sort of in that limbo between waking and sleep

apart from this weird effect they seem to be helping with the health anxiety but this is worrying me now

Thanks ever so much

Heather
I have had exactly the same, my dreams have been incredibly vivid to the point that i dreamt i'd fallen out with my sister, my husband had an affair with my friend, and all the fish in my tank died. on the flip side, i have had some wonderful nights with my husband :winks:. The trouble with the dreams is that i'm finding they aren't wierd dreams, they are things that could conceivably happen and this makes them extremely disorientating!!

I'm 9 weeks in now, increased my dose last week and the side effects have barely been noticable, the increase from 10 - 20mg at 4 weeks was awful so whatever the imbalance was it's certainly much better than when i started!! :yesyes:

The side effects will wear off and it's much better than living with PD and Anxiety!!

cwoz82
04-01-09, 14:27
I really don't know what to do, I've had these pills for a few weeks now & still haven't managed to start taking them. Not only has reading about all the side effects put me off, but alot of people say they also cause weight gain! I was just going to grin & bare the side effects, but there's no way I want to put on weight. Maybe it just increases appetite so you are still in control of your weight, but some seem to think their diet didn't change. But on the other hand if I don't start taking them I'm just going to keep feeling down all the time! Really don't know what to do =(

9 weeks in Emily99 and i have not put on weight, in fact i have had to MAKE myself eat if anything, and the side effects will ware off in a week to 10 days...it's better than living with the symptoms in my humble opnion!

wundress
04-01-09, 14:52
I have been on Citalopram for about 2 years now and I have to say they are the best anti-depressants I have ever tried. I have been on Fluoxetine and Venlafaxine in the past with horrible side effects.

I have experienced the vivid dreams which can be frightening and disorientating as they seem so real. The first week I remember getting the shakes and being upset by them but I was on 10mg at the time and they went after a day or two. Each time my dose has been increased I've not had any side-effects.

The only other issue I have is that if I forget a dose then I get some withdrawals such as jolts (have a look at wikipedia as they had they explain it better) which I was not expecting at all.

Overall though I can't believe how much better I felt in such a short space of time. My doctor has been very good a reviewing my dosage and I think the support is really helping too. All you can do is try it and if it doesn't suit find another alternative. x

LiveLiam
04-01-09, 22:15
Hi,

I just wanted to post a message to give anyone starting or continuing citalopram some reassurance and support. I know that it is a big step to start the medication - for me it was the only way of having any reasonable future so after sitting fretting in a lay by on the way back from the doctor, I decided that I would take my first tablet in the morning. To this day none of my family know and only a few close friends know.

I started to take my tablet before bed as taking the tablet in the morning made me go spaced out at work and then hyperactive when i needed to sleep. After about 2 months my sleep was great and there would only be a few odd occasions when i would not be able to sleep.

The other side effects for me were dizzyness and bad heads during the first few months, a burning sensation when I went to the 'big' toilet, loss of emotion - either not being sad about something tragic or not feeling happy about something fantastic and hangovers from hell which is entirely my own fault!

I was on Citalopram for about 18 months and gradually came off the tablets in september 08. I now lead a very content life, I have moved to a new city, away from the people and problems that set off my circle of depression, I have a great new job and am confident in what I do and meeting new people. When I was on the medication I really couldnt see a way out of it but it gave me a life that i couldnt otherwise sustain. When I was depressed I was working and studying and was close to the edge of giving up on everything, for a 21 yr old thats so bad! I just want to reassure you guys that things will get better and even though for some people you dont feel it right now, your soul is still deep inside you and you will reignite the passion and energy that you once had for life, not only that but you will come out a stronger person and be able to appreciate life so much more and grasp every risk and opportunity that comes your way.

With every good wish for 2009!

Liam

garytttttttttttttttt
05-01-09, 15:17
hi there my advice would be to start taking them , u prob find once they start to work you will be more active and feel like leaving the house more .if u start to gain weight ,try reg. excercise it will help in making you feel better ,chin up

garytttttttttttttttt
05-01-09, 15:28
i just started taking them again ,i was on them for a bout a year before and i started after a while to feel 100% better.as liam said you do lose all emotions wchich is probably why you dont get the panic attacks,i felt embarrassed about having to take them,i tried getting my act together but it just made me worse.so here i am back to the meds.i am totally convinced that this has been brought on by years of drug and drink abuse. i am fighting drink still but been clear of drugs for 4 +half years now all i want to do now is feel normal or as normal as i can be now .stick with them ,for most they do help :yesyes:

angelclif
06-01-09, 12:51
Hi,

I have to say i was really worried about starting my tablets but there was really no need. I have been fine, I am having weird dreams and I feel tired and a little spaced out BUT nothing that is effecting me too badly. I'm actually starting to feel a lot better than I was prior ot taking them so give them a go... honestly I'm so glad I did....:yesyes:

blackcat1978
06-01-09, 13:37
Hi,
I started taking Citalopram 6 days ago and have to say it has been the worst experience of my life - worse then any depression I was feeling before - mainly because of the continuing dehabilitaing side effects i am getting.
The first day I had the flushes/ants crawling under my skin/ feeling out of body/teary etc etc then 3 days in my face/eyes swelled up (which makes me feel even more attractive!) and since then I now have a face full of eczma (I have never had this before!) and eyes that have swollen up and aged about 30 years..... my head feels ok apart from depression about how i look now!
I have decided to wean myself off of them for several reason
1) the depression i have is situational and until that changes these tablets wont solve anything only mask the feelings i feel about thinghs so I think the best thing to do is tackle the problems.
2) I literally feel as if i am being poisoned - I look as if I have been poisoned by something toxic!
3)I dont think there has been enough research about these drugs, after reading up about them, not even doctors know why they work so I find it hard to understand how they can then prescribe them in the forst place without enough knowledge - drug company money maybe....!

I know they do work for alot of people (my best friend has been on one type or another for 12 years and says she couldnt cope without them and she goes mad when she comes off them...) well sorry I do not want my life ruled by a tablet.
So i have decided to wean and then start taking HTP, exercise, eat healthily and think healthily until the point in my life (a few mths away) when my circumstances change and I know I will feel better 100%

this isnt a rant as I know they work for some but i just needed to write it down and see what other people think.

Good luck all
xxxxx