PDA

View Full Version : feeling panicky

nina
05-04-04, 19:00
i get panic attacks. but i also fear a new one all the time-whether walking down the street or any thing.
Just was at a funeral the other day-we were late so had to sit a th middle-not back where i would usually go so felt like i woulkd need to leave every second-how can i stop this?
Nina x

nina

diana
05-04-04, 19:52
Nina,

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time right now.

I know the feeling you describe, it is horrid is`nt it?

If you can, try very hard to distract yourself from the feelings you are having.

I know easier said than done, but if you can distract yourself for a few moments/minutes you will start to feel in control of what is going on.

Trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try to scan a room for example for something to focus on other than what you are feeling at the moment.

Once you find something for example a pix or painting. Start trying to visualize a different place or scene in your mind and make it something you know you would enjoy just for the moment to take you out of that fear place you are at in that moment.

Also I would suggest going to the coping page to look over some other ideas. There are tons of great ideas there. I am sure you will find something there that will help you too.

Just remember you are not alone and you have had this before and made it, and you most certainly will this time too.

I hope this helps a bit.

I also hope you are feeling a little better now dear.

I wish you luck.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

beverley
05-04-04, 21:02
Hi Nina

I know just how you feel it get's to me like that too.
I did a web search and came across these. The one called panic really helped to put things into a clearly picture for me of understanding panic attacks.

I hope they will be of help to you and remember we are always here for you.[:I]

Beverley
xx

I cut and paste the below from the links folder on the forum

I find these while search the web for info about panic attacks
you need a Adobe Acrobat reader for you can get one free from
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
if you need to the links are

http://www.nnt.nhs.uk/mh/content.asp?PageName=selfhelp

http://www.nnt.nhs.uk/mh/leaflets/sress&anxA5.pdf

http://www.nnt.nhs.uk/mh/leaflets/stress%20A5.pdf

http://www.nnt.nhs.uk/mh/leaflets/panicA5.pdf

hopeful they will be of help to someone

nomorepanic
05-04-04, 21:26
Nina

When I was at my worst I had to be godmother to my sister's baby girl (she is 9 now). Wow it was hard, cos it was a Catholic baptism and they go on for a long time. I couldn't hide away cos I had to be there doing my god-mother duties.

I was standing at the front of the church thinking I am going to pass out but I had to get through it cos it would not have been fair on my god-daughter to spoil her day.

What I am saying is that you can do things when you really have to and in the end I loved the day and was the proud god-mum at the party.

It was scary but I did it by wrapping myself up with the atmosphere of it all and you can try that too.

The need to get out has never really left me - if I go to the theatre then I book an aisle seat so I can escape easily and I always sit near the door at meetings so I can leave if I need to.

With time you will be there in the middle of things again and you won't give it a second thought.

Chin up ok and keep trying.

Nicola

Brownie
05-04-04, 22:22
Hi Nina,

I constantly feel the same way.... and i think everyone here has felt this way at one time or another. I usually try to keep myself really occupied while im anywhere shopping, walking around, faily gatherings etc etc.... I usually bring some candy to suck on or a ball to just bounce back and forth in my hands. (may sound dumb but it really has helped me) Good luck hun and dont let this get ya down.

-Christie[:I]

jollywalrus
06-04-04, 07:23
I think the problem is , while we are all afraid of the panic, it's going to keep rearing it's ugly head. The key is to stop being afraid. Accept the panic, (we always get through it every time even though it is horrible), and you will find it starts to diminish. Not a lot at first, but gradually every day. I can do things now that I would never have dreamed of 4 months ago. I still feel anxious, but I know now that if I ride the panic through to the other side and try to loosen my body a bit as it happens, it is not as bad.
Easier said than done though, isn't it?
Best wishes,
Christine

kate
06-04-04, 09:14
Hiya Christine,

I agree entirely with you.

My anxiety is of epic proportions and I was constantly freaking out in the supermarket!

I still have panics when I go BUT I always, always stay put and will not allow myself to run away.

Many a time I can be found slumped over my shopping trolley slurping Bach rescue remedy, but it always passes.

Very hard though not to just run away, and I do still avoid more than I should.

But at least I can now go and get some shopping when necessary!!!

Kate x

nina
06-04-04, 10:44
thank you all so much for your help. i will go and look up those things now. do keep in touch
bye for now
nina x

nina

nina
06-04-04, 10:49
Hi where do I find the coping pages??? NIna x
quote:Originally posted by Scared

Nina,

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time right now.

I know the feeling you describe, it is horrid is`nt it?

If you can, try very hard to distract yourself from the feelings you are having.

I know easier said than done, but if you can distract yourself for a few moments/minutes you will start to feel in control of what is going on.

Trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try to scan a room for example for something to focus on other than what you are feeling at the moment.

Once you find something for example a pix or painting. Start trying to visualize a different place or scene in your mind and make it something you know you would enjoy just for the moment to take you out of that fear place you are at in that moment.

Also I would suggest going to the coping page to look over some other ideas. There are tons of great ideas there. I am sure you will find something there that will help you too.

Just remember you are not alone and you have had this before and made it, and you most certainly will this time too.

I hope this helps a bit.

I also hope you are feeling a little better now dear.

I wish you luck.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

nina

Meg
06-04-04, 11:26
At the top of this page , press 'home' and there is a menu on the Left .
Meg

diana
06-04-04, 16:31
Thanks Meg for picking that up. :)

Sorry Nina I should have given instructions.

Hopefully you have been able to locate them.

Let us know if you find anything helpful at all.

Take care,

Diana xoxoxo