PDA

View Full Version : fear of changing rooms

emster
30-04-06, 12:45
as part of my agoraphobia i seem to have a fear of being in changing rooms on my own, this is a big problem at the moment because i really want to start going swimming again but this fear is getting in my way, at the thought of having to be in the changing room i get scared and then cant bring myself to go through with it. i think its because once i've been in the pool and i'm wet i cant get out of there until i've got dry and got my clothes on which takes at least 10 minutes and i worry about what if i have a panic attack + go really shaky or even worse am paralised with fear + cant manage to get myself dressed. its not just the pool changing room either its also when i go clothes shopping, sometimes i dont buy anything because im too scared to go and try things on.
I think if i could just manage it the once without it being too much of a traumatic experience it will start getting easier and i'd have more confidece when i tried again next time, but once i'm in the situation the worrying thoughts start comming and i cant stop them and i just keep getting more and more scared + cant calm down.:(
has anyone else had anything similar? i could really do with some tips on how i can get through the situation just the once without the fear spiraling out of control.

Munchkin
06-05-06, 13:23
hi emster.

i undertstand how you feel. i get the same, with me it's a feeling off "if something goes wrong, or i feel panicky, i cant get out, i cant just leave".

with the swimming pool, would it be possible for you to go, already have you costume on underneath your clothes (so it wont take so long) and go through to the pool but just sit on the side and not actually go swimming? you could dangle your legs in the water and then when you feel you need to leave. you can just go into the changing room and slip your clothes on, without having to take ages to get dry? maybe do that a few times and it might get easier. or would that be just as bad? sorry if that didnt help. just a thought.
take care xx

"A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"