PDA

View Full Version : flight to USA

Rachel_123
16-07-11, 19:32
hi guys,

going on a flight to the states in a month and beginning to get really anxious about it. it's going to be what, like a 7 hour flight? how the heck am i gonna get through it?? been thinking of going to my doc for something strong?

PanchoGoz
16-07-11, 19:55
There is a similar thread going about flights at the moment, it seems doctors are reluctent to give out "quick fixes". I suggested sleeping pills to the other person and sleeping through the flight. As an anxious person, avoidance should be avoided so your boundries don't shrink, but when it comes to a 7 hour flight, not everybody would want to do that. Are you sure you need to put yoursef through it? Also could try a good book to read, games to play, movie to watch, all sorts of distractions.

jaded jean
17-07-11, 08:26
Hi Rachel .
I am off to NZ at xmas and thankfully I have an evening flight. I also take Amytrityline so that will help me. Have you tried rescue remedy at all ?? its also available in pastille and gum form.I don't know if the NMP shop stocks all of these but Thought it might help you.
Jeanx

Rachel_123
28-07-11, 15:43
i don't find them helpful at all... hmm i dunno, im stuck , its next tuesday !!!

Col
28-07-11, 16:02
I get so annoyed at individuals writing on here that they have SUCH severe panic attacks BUT then go on 7-24 hour, long haul flights.
I know anxiety comes and goes and I have always been a very upbeat , go and do it, get on with things individual BUT since experiencing panic attacks from the start of this year, I can't understand why someone would want to put them self through a long haul flight. There's people on this website that can't leave there front door and would die at the prospect of getting on a plane.
I think some of you are on the wrong website, because you might be anxious (like the average person gets from time to time) BUT not have a full blown anxiety problem, some individuals on here are really really unwell and it's soo sad and heart braking reading there posts AND then to read yours just baffles me.
I really don't mean to be rude but if your that anxious why book a flight, especially for that long? Pushing yourself to go on a plane is a positive step in the right direction I suppose, but for that long??? Couldn't you have gone to Europe?

allergyphobia
28-07-11, 16:12
What an ignorant and judgemental post, Col.

Rachel_123
28-07-11, 16:26
ah its my sisters wedding so no i cannot go to europe. just because i dont get severe panic attacks every day(i did have them for a full year) doesnt mean that i dont suffer as much as other people. i have chronic anxiety which is usually at a manageable level(im on antidepressants + benzo and i do exercise and meditation to control also) however im not going to let my condition stop me living my life, im simply looking for advice from people who have been in this situation. i simply say to you to leave your ignorant comments elsewhere please.

and may i say that i have been diagnosed with GAD for the past 3 years, but have been living with it since childhood due to problems in my family which i shouldnt have to go into.

Rachel_123
28-07-11, 16:27
What an ignorant and judgemental post, Col.

thank you. complete ignorance. funnily enough, this is the third ignorant comment i have come across in the past week that has really pi**ed me off.

rainbowOne
28-07-11, 21:27
Hey Rachel!
I went a to america a couple of years ago (was it really that long!?!) and it was brilliant, but I was super worried about the flight. Mine was to LA so it was about 11 hours!

A few tips I could give you would be:

Wear really comfy clothes, put aside how you look and dress purely for comfort.
This includes your underthings, and (sorry to guys reading this) DON'T wear an underwired bra, ugh when you've sat with one of them poking into you for 11 ours you start to feel like turning into a bra-burning hippie ;)

Take some good noise-cancelling headphones with some nice relaxing music, or some good earplugs. There'll always be someone crying, coughing, moaning etc, and I found that made me panic. So something to block out the noise would be good.

Books, magazines, etc. are good. Do you have anything like a handheld games thing? Even just on a 'plane safe' mobile phone, those are good distractions.

Sleeping pills can help but you may be jetlagged after the flight anyway and it would add to that - and also you still have to get through the airport at the end, if you've had a sleeping pill that might be hard.

I hope you have a wonderful time, I loved visiting America as it was so interesting :)

Oh and one more thing I remember from when I was there, see if you can get a system which will help you remember to take your meds, sometimes in an unfamiliar situation it's easy to forget, and trust me it's not good to have a breakdown in the middle of a shopping mall cos you forgot to take your meds for the last week! :P

looking4answers
28-07-11, 22:24
At least its not 14 hours one leg of a 27 hour flight to the Philippines...now thats nerve racking :)

Rachel_123
28-07-11, 23:41
thanks! really helpful post! any more suggestions?? x

JohnBliss
29-07-11, 00:15
Hi there
I hate long journeys too and was "in transit" to California not so long ago for the best part of 24 hours. I got through it quite comfortably, as I always do ,with the help of a few stiff drinks . Some may not approve but it works for me!!!
Regards
John

Col
29-07-11, 12:04
Fair enough Rachel, but I wasn't just or directly referring to you, I was generalizing.
We all have the right to air our opinions, though!
Because let's be honest for most people with anxiety, a plane is possibly the worst environment to be in!!!!
I did at the time think, maybe it's because there's a very important reason why you have to go.

I send my apologies.

Rachel_123
29-07-11, 12:34
Fair enough Rachel, but I wasn't just or directly referring to you, I was generalizing.
We all have the right to air our opinions, though!
Because let's be honest for most people with anxiety, a plane is possibly the worst environment to be in!!!!
I did at the time think, maybe it's because there's a very important reason why you have to go.

I send my apologies.

thanks for apology but really this forum is not for you to air your opinions which can upset people. if you dont have something constructive to say then i suggest you keep your opinions to yourself thank you :)

dreena
29-07-11, 13:22
To be fair this forum is for people with anxiety no matter how "bad" or how "little". some days I feel like I can take on the world, some days I want to hide from it!!

But anyway well done Rachel for booking your flight, just think of the lovely time you will have when u land. Are u flying u alone?

Rachel_123
29-07-11, 13:45
no im actually flying with my family, and my mom has anxiety too so that should actually be funny, the two of us freaking out!

dreena
29-07-11, 14:07
Lol that's the best way! Just try making it fun! My dad frequently flies to and from Thailand , and that's like 3 flights as we are in jersey! Just the thought of it gives me a heart attack! But now he's living there we are going to have to visit! 7 hrs goes surprisingly quick if your chatting/sleeping/ watching films u know! Wish I was going x

Plysg
29-07-11, 19:19
Over the last year I've gathered quite a collection of meditation/self-hypnosis/self help tracks on my ipod. I'm taking a boat to France in a week's time which I'm churning my stomach about but knowing I've got them there if I need a quiet half hour to myself in my seat is reassuring :)

Col
29-07-11, 23:19
I take my apology back.

Because With reference to your reply
( to col, unless u have something constructive to say , keep ur opinions to ur self, etc)
my last post WAS more than constructive it was an apology!

If you think my tone and opinion was bad then yours is no better.
You took the moral high ground, I looked at what u said and apologized if I had hurt your feelings BUT then for you to reply with thanks for your apology then .....a bit of a kick in the teeth still, by stating how un-constructive my comment was and keeping my opinions to myself , and this forums not here for me to air my opinions etc, in addition to your first batch of comments towards my post - is very childish.

I took it on the chin and apologized But, it's clear you want to carry this on, forget it!!!!
I do have the right to have my opinion, whether u like it or not, like you have the right to post your issues/concerns/thoughts and worries.

But for goodness sake, don't take the moral high ground and then stoop lower by trying to hurt my
feelings! It contradicts your morals and is a bit hypercritical. You made it clear that my comment was not necessary AND I apologized. And you've hit back by putting me into my place further.

Bit silly really, we are grown ups aren't we?

Anxious_gal
30-07-11, 00:23
@ Col.
You know what your problem is?
JEALOUSY!
now why it is true that is someone had very very very bad anxiety and panic attacks they may not be able to fly or do much of anything.
I do understand why you are annoyed but your viewing it in very much black and white thinking.

this forum is for every one, anxiety or no anxiety. Anxiety comes on all different levels.
I can be a nervous wreak one day and fine the next.
The same way I can be agoraphobic but yet managed to go on a short holiday and spend an hour on a plane.
Just because you have anxiety doesn't mean you panic, some people don't get panic attacks, like me I rarely get full blown panic attacks, I tend hours long anxiety where I can stop shaking and feel like I am going mad.

according to you the OP should not be allowed here or benefit from advice because she is not as bad at you, that's right you compared her to you.

every one has the right to their opinion, but I don't see how you first comment in any way was to help the OP, if any thing it was you letting off a bit steam.

the OP never said in her post that she has bad anxiety!
Then you go on say people who don't have bad enough anxiety , should not be allowed to post here.
she was only looking for advice because she is nervous about her flight.

your only advice was to tell her not to go.
which in fairness isn't really going to help her as she actually want to challenge her self and go and was merely asking for advice on coping with the long flight.

Col
30-07-11, 12:39
Mishel, what's this gang warfare????.
Making a mountain out of a mole hill!!! And ganging up, BECAUSE if your another one setting a moral high ground, fair enough!!! BUT reading your post what are you being towards me, NICE???? Your just sticking the boot in further. Because your comment isn't constructive at all!!!! Or nice.

I am a trainee teacher of science, I have a BSc and a MSc. I have two kids , I've owned three houses, I currently own a house in one of the nicest areas in my city AND I'm only nearly 30. I'm very hard working and have all in life I want OTHER than my health!!! So jealousy???????.
My parents own a house in America (for the past 14 years) and we last visited December 2010 with my hubby and two kids! I'll give you the address, if u want.
I apologized and explained myself And then got a further telling and now from YOU.
What do you want BLOOD?????
JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!!!
IM SURE THERES MUCH MORE OFFENSIVE COMMENTS SOMEWHERE ON THIS SITE?

Obviously you enjoy a bit of banter OR maybe your just a BULLY, because talk about " the kettle calling the pot black" because you saying that I have a problem - jealousy.
I find really offensive, and for you to jump on the band wagon, and ACCUSING me of telling her not to go isn't true!! I was merely saying couldn't you have gone somewhere a little closer to home, I made my comment , I got told AND then I said sorry!!!!

Read it again clever clogs!

KK77
30-07-11, 12:57
I don't understand this either - or think it's right.

Col apologised for her initial post - which I didn't agree with either - but has had it thrown back in her face. I think people should let go and move on instead of being vindictive.

Col
30-07-11, 12:58
Thanks for that X

suzy-sue
30-07-11, 13:04
Sometimes you dont always get the answers you want to hear....What col said is perfectly reasonable about flying such a long way .It was a generalized comment .No need for all this argueing .WHEN someone apologises surely the least you can do is be gracious .Not put more fuel on the fire :shrug:.Just my opinion ..Sue

mizfiesta
30-07-11, 13:31
I get so annoyed at individuals writing on here that they have SUCH severe panic attacks BUT then go on 7-24 hour, long haul flights.
I know anxiety comes and goes and I have always been a very upbeat , go and do it, get on with things individual BUT since experiencing panic attacks from the start of this year, I can't understand why someone would want to put them self through a long haul flight. There's people on this website that can't leave there front door and would die at the prospect of getting on a plane.
I think some of you are on the wrong website, because you might be anxious (like the average person gets from time to time) BUT not have a full blown anxiety problem, some individuals on here are really really unwell and it's soo sad and heart braking reading there posts AND then to read yours just baffles me.
I really don't mean to be rude but if your that anxious why book a flight, especially for that long? Pushing yourself to go on a plane is a positive step in the right direction I suppose, but for that long??? Couldn't you have gone to Europe?

I understand perfectly what you meant Col. I also know you didn't mean to offend the original poster. I don't want to get involved in butting heads either, but felt I had to post something in support of Col. I've had panic/agoraphobia for over 20 years though I've managed to lead a pretty 'normalish' life...as long as I didn't have to venture out of a 20 mile boundary.

I experience difficulty on trains, motorways etc and I couldn't even envisage myself going on an aeroplane! I guess we're all at different levels in our anxiety but I would consider myself well on the way to 'recovery' if I could set foot on a plane.

Those of us who are seriously restricted probably do look around us at other people who manage to go abroad on holiday like it's the most natural thing in the world and feel an amount of 'I wish I could do that' - but I wouldn't term it jealousy? Something inside me wilts when I hear people talking about travelling, and I feel like an oddity sometimes. I'm going through a particularly bad time just now and feel like I've went back 20 years. Please lets just try and support each other and not be so ready to attack.

bottleblond
30-07-11, 13:42
This is not exactly constructive.

Please try to be nice people.

:D

Dying_Swan
30-07-11, 13:58
(...is it safe to come in now? :D)

Just wanted to add to other's advice re: flying. I hate it with a passion, but still make myself get on a plane from time to time. Depending on where you're flying in the states, it will be about 7-11 hours. It's usually an hour quicker on the way home which is nice (they tend to fly back in the jet stream which speeds things up)

Totally understand your worries but you will be fine. I find the most important thing is distraction. For me, this is hardest during take off with no music etc, so I try to run through some relaxation exercises as it takes off and climbs (in a terrified, shaking manner :blush:) and that does help. Once you're up and can have TV and music, that will help keep your mind off things. I like to keep an eye on the map (on the TV's) to see where we are, and if you have someone to talk to, that helps too. I flew home from Guernsey last year (not far, but in a tiny plane with propellers...I was petrified) and sat next to a stranger. She knew I was scared so she talked AT me for the whole journey. It was brillliant - totally helped me not to panic. Other things to distract yourself e.g. crosswords can be useful.

Someone else mentioned a few stiff drinks...yep, I've gone down that route too! Not that I'm recommending getting drunk, especially on a long haul flight, but I have found a couple of brandy's quite helpful when I'm really freaking out. And I have taken lorazepam too, which helped me also (again, not really recommending this is a route you go down, but it might be an option to discuss with your GP).

Finally, tell the cabin crew when you board that you are nervous. They are superb with nervous passengers and will look after you.

Enjoy your sister's wedding - I am sure you will have a fantastic time!

Rachel_123
01-08-11, 18:02
jeez guys i never meant for this tread to become so uncontructive, as i said before, i just want advice as to how to get through my flight, this is only my second flight since being diagnosed with GAD and its not going to be easy, fight is tomorrow and im very anxious. col i accepted your apology, i wasn't trying to continue and beat you down, i was just saying that this forum would be nicer if only contructive advice and support was given, not criticism for how i choose to live my life!

my last words are: ive always said i will not let anxiety take my life away from me. yes it has stopped me doing things and stopped me from enjoying things, but im trying my best!

mabel
01-08-11, 19:55
Good grief! I don't want to say much about this whole fiasco but anyone who starts a sentence with 'I really don't mean to be rude but...' clearly knows they are going to offend someone.

ANYWAY! Back to the actual problem!
I avoided flying for years and yes I had trouble leaving the house etc. Finally after a lot of hard work managed to go on one and went on flights to Europe.

2 years ago I flew to America. Felt panicky for weeks before hand, but had a opportunity I would be foolish to turn down.

The flight was fine! They feed you regularly which takes your mind off things and they have a choice of films etc to watch. Plus take books, puzzles etc to keep you occupied. Lots of positive talk to yourself. It's just a flight and will be worth it!

I had a couple of drinks on the flight! I only had 2 but it killed a bit of time. You wouldn't want anymore than that (anxiety aside, its too blimin expensive!)

I had a fabulous time in America and I'm sure you will too!

Mabel xxx

Rachel_123
01-08-11, 22:27
thanks mabel! that actually really calms my anxities quite a lot!!
i do plan on having a beer or two (strictly no more because im on bromazepam so i have to be very careful). ive downloaded loads of movies and music onto my laptop and i pod and i have my head cushion, books etc to keep me comfy and busy. im also on the outside of the aisle which makes me feel much less claustrophobic. hopefully all goes well, if there is in flight wi fi ill update you guys as to how im getting through it!!

x

mabel
02-08-11, 20:02
Hope you have a fab time!

Rachel_123
05-08-11, 01:31
hey guys!!!

quick update from boston:

yes i got here! the flight over was actually so enjoyable, i was kept VERY busy between in flight entertainment, lots of food and good company. not one wave of panic and anxiety. so happy i accomplished this!!! to everyone out there who wants to travel but who is stopped by anxiety, dont let it stop you, if i can do it, you can!

Anxious_gal
05-08-11, 02:42
Wow you made it!!! Good for you :)
Was the flight bumpy at all?

mizfiesta
05-08-11, 11:05
Over the last year I've gathered quite a collection of meditation/self-hypnosis/self help tracks on my ipod. I'm taking a boat to France in a week's time which I'm churning my stomach about but knowing I've got them there if I need a quiet half hour to myself in my seat is reassuring :)

Plysg, is there any audio self help you would recommend that's worked for you? I listen to Glenn Harrolds Complete Relaxation most days, but listening to the same one over and over can be a bit boring. I need to get some more.

eternally optimistic
05-08-11, 14:56
YOU DID IT . . . . . . . Hoooooooooooray

Have a superb time.

Good on you.

I want to know your secret when you get back ...

Have fun.

eeyorelover
05-08-11, 17:10
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!
That's the first thought that popped into my head!
What an accomplishment!
You should do a post in the successes section!
I'm sooooooooo proud of you and happy for you!!
xxx
Sandy

mabel
05-08-11, 19:16
Yey!!!!!!!! Well done!!:yesyes:

Fab news!

Rachel_123
10-08-11, 03:07
ok guys thanks for all the positive replies!

slight setback, wasnt feeling great all day, the food here doesnt agree with my tummy at all. went out for dinner and the place was so packed...long story short, sat there for an hour and a half with anxiety 8/10, shaking and feeling sick, two trips to the bathroom with my IBS. now my anxiety is bad and im dreading tomorrow when we go shopping and to cape cod.. ugh :/

on the positive side atleast i sat there and didnt run away, right??

eternally optimistic
13-08-11, 15:02
Exactly Rachel . . . .

There is a positive side, you didnt run away . . .

What with that and the journey I would say you are allowed a little bit of anx....

You are inspirational going all that way.

Give yourself a break and dont beat yourself up.

Have fun.

Rachel_123
14-08-11, 03:11
thanks i try not to. today was a set back if you see my other thread, should of posted it here really :/

pablo22
14-08-11, 03:44
col you have to understand people here are dealing with different levels of anxiety, try and stay positive about life seriously, and rachel, xanax did the trick for me!, what i did was deliberately not sleep the nyt before, had no breakfast and took a xanax just before i got on de plane,

so out of it, wouldn't even notice if the plane was crashing lol