PDA

View Full Version : I dont have any confidence in my aging body anymore:(

looking4answers
17-07-11, 00:02
Its so sad that I have become to not be confident with my body anymore. Just ten years ago I could get up and do things and not worry about what might happen to me. I could walk,and lift and do pretty much everything anybody else could. I would get sore and pull muscles and the norm but knew that was normal and woldnt worry about it. Now days I do things but always afraid that the things I do will cause more weird body sensations or pains and aches. Even now going outside to walk around I loose my confidence an want to come in from outside. Dont get me wrong,I do get out and do things and go places but in the back of my mind I keep wondering what is next? To tell you the truth Im discovering that as you age your muscles become stiff easily and painful and your bones brittle nd so many things that not imaginable but they are happening right on. It seems as though they all came about this year or maybe they have been coming about and I just havent noticed before? Its all a little unnerving and makes you feel very vunderable and worried that you arent sure of what you can do anymore. I anyone else experiecing this in your 50's? I would really lke to hear from you so that I know im not alone and is this normal?

nomorepanic
17-07-11, 00:12
Michael - you aren't that old really.

The more active you are the better you will feel to be honest.

looking4answers
17-07-11, 00:18
Thanks ill try to remember tht but somedays I felt better before I exercised,but guess that is normal too:)

suzy-sue
17-07-11, 01:12
Hi Michael ..Aches and Pains are part of getting older ..Most people when they reach middle age will have or had some health problems ..Osteoarthritis is rife in this age bracket .Many will have it for years with hardly any symptoms .There is a myth about being unable to do things when you have this .Keeping active and learning a different way of doing things is paramount ..I have read your posts Michael and have many of the symptoms you describe .Mine are down to Osteoarthritis .I have it in my Spine IN THREE PLACES ,Hip .hands .Feet ..I started getting symptoms in my late 30 ,s .albeit very long intermissions .but painful all the same .When I was in my forties ,I started to get really painful back pain ,radiating down my buttocks and leg .Visits To the Dr and a Psyiotherapist /spine xRAY I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis .The 4 th vertabrae of my spine caused and still can cause .tingling and reffered pain down my arm .So bad a Times I can not lay down and have to make up a bed on the sofa and prop my self up to sleep .Laying down when im like this causes pain that is only treatable and will only respond to Morphine type medication .The first time on this happened to cause me a lOST WEEKEND of sleep .vomiting and agony .This is and hasnt ever been repeated to this extent .I set out to do what I could to help myself .no way did I want to end up like a zonked out wreck on these type of drugs ever again .After further visits to my Dr I was refered to the Physiotherapist .Who for 6 weeks manipulated me in all manner of ways ,sometimes with success others not so .A special excercise programme followed which I had to follow during my entire daily routine .These excercises helped to strengthen the surrounding muscles of my painful joints and spine ..Heat pads .I use when Ive got aching muscles combined with co-codamol .Relaxation ,and knowing my limits .I can now do things I found hard 10 years ago .Theres a lot to be said for keeping active ,walking .and monitored excercise with an instructor .They will help you find the excercises that will strenthen your body to support your joints .I go to a class with Nic each week I also keep active but have had to learn how to do somethings in a different way .Somedays yes I do feel exhausted .I have trouble opening jars and tins ,then I swear a lot ..But mostly I m fit and able .I can wipe my own arse and feed my self .I can dress myself and dont see myslef as old .I dont feel any different than I did when I was 20 .Theres just a few grey hairs and somone different staring at me from behind the mirror now lol .I lost friends in my Twentys ,Thirtys and Fortys and three this year .I feel blessed im able to write here tonight ,A friend of mine died of a brain tumour ,She was in a wheel chair sufferring wih something uncCurable .She fought for life till it was no more .She would give anything to be here today even if it meant sufferring the pain she endured for years before she died ."Life is good" she said and I said "Yes it sure is .".We are here to enjoy life come rain or shine ,Take the good with the bad .Worrying about the inevitable will only rob today of its joy .I dont want to do that .Make the most of what you can do to help yourself .Believe me an anxious state of mind over these health matters not only feeds your Anxiety .But also makes your muscles tense .So tense they make your pain and symptoms worse .Theres a technoque you can learn Called the ALEXANDER technique .It shows you how to do the physical things in a correct way .Posture is very important .we tend to slouch when we get tired .Bad posture Tense muscles will cause you pain discomfort and many many syptoms .Most of which can be either gotten rid of or made more comfortable .Osteopaths and massage will really help too .I had a course of that too .But you need to rest and have a hot soak afterward s. Above all Michael .you need to adapt to a more positive frame of mind .The saying is "What you think you become "..So if you think your old you will be old ..Me Im only 20 ..lol ...in my head anyway and yes Life is good if you let it be .Hope you find somethings to help you .t/c Sue x

looking4answers
17-07-11, 01:48
Hi Sue and Nic. Im feeling a little ashamed of myself after your post. I suppose all of this is hitting me like a ton of bricks as I have enjoyed good health until a few years ago. All of it has been a tremendous shock to my mental health and I apologize for being such a whinner.There is a quote that comes to mind not so much about health but can be used in this situtation as an analogy. "I used to complain that I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet" Im very sorry about my little complaints I will try to adjust and enjoy the good things.

suzy-sue
17-07-11, 02:00
Please dont apologise Michael ..I replied to try and show you how different people deal with things .Also how you can , as I have done, make your life so much better for yourself .When I was in my fortys I honestly thought in ten years time I woud be walking with a stick or even be in a wheel chair .I let it bring me down for a while .But no WAY after that w/e of mine was that an option ..I hope you look ino the things I mentioned im sure if you do something positive to help yourself .Life will be good again .not the same as it was when you were young. But still good .Every day counts and is a gift many arent here to aprreciate .Sorry if I upset you it wasnt my intention .Take care Luv Sue xx

looking4answers
17-07-11, 03:32
No worries,I just need to be thankful .