View Full Version : how many of us get funny heart beats

jodie
30-04-06, 21:53
hi everyone

how many of us get eptopic heart beats , thuds in chest ,flutters

jodie xx

shiv
30-04-06, 21:56
Not just every day Jodie, but literally, without ANY exaggeration, HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS per day! Can anyone top that cos if they can I'd feel better, NOT that I actually WANT anyone to go through this c**p!!

Shiv x

giddy
01-05-06, 08:39
Hi Jodie - I used to get them day and night, but since I've stopped being scared of them they have got less frequent and I now only notice them maybe once a week or so.
Love Helen

ashley
01-05-06, 10:47
Jodie sweet
I get them every day..some days worse than others.. and especially when i go to rest.. its a nightmare..its scary ..its frightening.. and the fight makes you tired and weak darling dosnt it.
But the secret to success .. is exceptence love.. exceptance that it cant harm you, and jodie you know how bad i get these heart symptoms. Read my pm.

[:I]

Ashley x

chucklehound
01-05-06, 11:10
I get heart flutters most day...

wendy
01-05-06, 19:24
Hi

Most days for me too, some days are bearable others send me rushing to the hospital [:I] not a nice symptom

Wendy

angstsoup
08-05-06, 14:02
These are the bane of my existence in other words I hate them!
Sometimes I will get a lot of them for days and weeks and then nothing for awhile
My dog had a seizure yesterday so yep you got it later on and this morning as well I got the thuds and skipped beats as I was thinking of her and hoping she didnt have one while I was at work
They scare the dickens out of me and frankly they have bothered me the most of all the anx symps
Had an echogram weeks ago and doc said all normal
Yeah, except my mind which is not normal
I also get a tightness in my throat when these occur
Does anyone else also get the throat thing in conjunction with the skipped beats and thudders?
As I am sure many of you will agree, one's mind takes off running to a not so nice place when we get such things as the skipped beats, shudders and all physical symps of anx for that matter
We have a sensitive thermostat as I once read someplace that gets set off easily whereas people without anxiety do not
Sending good wishes from across the pond for a happy week

Hugs,

Soup

" I have developed a new philosophy.....I only dread one day at a time." Charlie Brown

Shaz
08-05-06, 18:13
Hi Jodie,
I get them too. Not every day, but in boughts with the anxiety. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your survey.

Ta
Shaz

What cannot be fitted into your day, cannot be done - forget about it!

lin
10-05-06, 10:36
Hi Jodie

I get them every day.

linda x

bernadette
22-05-06, 21:59
hi am bernadette i suffer with panic attacks i get funny heart beats i some times think it is shaking and then it misses a beat i do get scared but we should be use to it by now but were not

joyce g
30-05-06, 09:44
hi jodie
i get between 500-700 most days and it doesnt seem to make much difference what i do or how much stress i have. i often get a continual bubbling sensatation in my chest too, be interested to know if anyone else gets this. i just keep telling myself they're not going to kill me and nothings as bad as it seems to be and ive just got to learn to live with it. im starting a new job soon after being off work for 6 months, i'm really praying i'll be ok

joanne w
01-07-06, 11:02
hi im joanne ive been having panic attacks for 5 years,i feel like my heart is missing beats everyday its really scary.ive had an ecg which came back normal but find it hard believing it!

emma chant
01-07-06, 19:58
HI,
My hearts beating mad right now,it's tight and some pains.
xx:(

e chant

daveyboywales
02-07-06, 19:21
God I didn't think anyone else suffered from this. I get the missed beat thing, not very often now I must admit, but I quite regularly have trouble getting to sleep now because of my heart, just when I'm at the stage of falling asleep my heart goes mad, it starts beating so fast and gets painful, but when I wake myself up and sit up it goes away straight away

Linny
02-07-06, 20:47
hi,
i get strange flutters from time to time and i remember my mother getting them too wen i was a child. i never knew why she looked so worried but i do now, it's scary and horrible.
i went to the doctor about it once and he just said, oh it's stress' and told my kids to make sure they behave!!
i wonder why it often starts when you rest/ go to bed because i have found that too.
also, i have taken valerian tablets sometimes and i get it when i've taken them.

ardyce
04-07-06, 05:58
I get them almost daily and they feel like bubbling flutters and almost go up into my face like a *rush*. They are hard to explain but sounds like very common. I am doing good about ignoring them where as before it usually triggered a PA.

curlybird
04-07-06, 21:57
Hi Jodie,

Before I got diagnosed with anxiety, i ended up at the cardiologist thinking i had a heart defect. Now that I understand that it is just one of the horrible symptoms of anxiety, i can finally learn to deal with it.

I do get flutters most days (some much worse than others) but I have learnt to ignore them because i now know what it is.

CURLY :)

april tones
04-07-06, 23:30
What about flutters when you overbreathe?
does anyone get them then? when your struggling for air and you overbreathe?
thanks x

fibrochat) http://apriltones.proboards54.com

fairygirl
23-07-06, 22:12
Hi Jodie
I get lots of missed beats. I can actually feel them when I take my pulse theres a gap. My dr told me it's stress!! I can go days and not get any and then other days get loads. I have had anxiety for years but the missed beat thing I have only had for about 6 months. I think that every now and again your body throws a new symptom at you just to keep you on your toes!! I have found I just ignore them as best I can, but it's not nice I know
Wendy x

lisamarie36
12-08-06, 10:33
Oh yes, So glad to have found this site. Eptopics rule my life at the moment. Get them frequently, thuds,skips, flutters on a daily basis. Also been to G.P. numerous times, and told down to stress and anxiety. Had E.C.G done, as I was being hooked up to monitor I got nervous and so heart doing allsorts, did show on results but was told they were self induced because of panic. I am constantly checking my pulse for irregularities ( does anyone else do this?) And I am constantly reading up on heart defects and palpatations. So many of you are having the same symptoms as me, its so reasurring. But the one thing that stands out the most after reading all the posts on this subject, is that at some point we have all suffered or suffer with some form of anxiety. Be it health anxiety, stress, phobias or panic attacks. Therefore, we all know that this is only one of the distressing symptoms that are part and parcel of anxiety.

mia0621
12-08-06, 12:46
Shiv,

I get them almost every day. I was free of them for 2 days, then they returned, but that gives me hope. If it was true heart disease, I don't believe I would have good days. I went almost a year without them once before and recently about 3 months without them. I get hundreds of them daily some days, other days only a few. I think it coincides with stress levels. Sometimes abdominal bloating and gas brings them on. I notice the gas gets worse when I eat anything with refined sugar(e.g. candy, cookies etc.) If I relax enough they come less frequently and sometimes not at all. The key is to learn to relax even when you feel them. Think about how many times you have had them, and nothing ever happened to you. That seems easier said than done, but I have noticed a difference.

Mia :)

Insomniac
17-08-06, 16:57
I get them all the time. I have to make myself not check my pulse as it only increases the worry and makes them worse. When I try to ignore them and concentrate on my breathing they seem to ease off.

I get the odd blip then rather than the full panic attack I had the other night - every time I nearly fell asleep exhausted I would feel another palpitation and start panicking again. But I am still here, it didn't kill me. I didn't need to go to hospital or anything so I guess I'm ok really.

In a way that has helped me, to feel so bad but be ok afterwards, apart from fear of fear, but even that is decreasing again now.

Lots of us seem to suffer from them, and its definitely reassuring to know we're all still around. :)

Lisa

Is there light at the end of the tunnel or is that an oncoming train?

greeg
18-08-06, 18:49
Hi everyone,
I'm new here I got the url form someone who is from this site, they visited another site that is for heart palpatation. I think it would greatly help anyone who has that problem with palpatations, as well as this site would be excellent for those who have palps and lots of anxiety. I too, have these palps and I am so happy to find this site! Lately I have been suffering from extreme anxiety, always feeling like something is about to happen. I cannot relax and the more tense I get the more the palps start. A terrible cycle indeed.

here is the site:
http://www.resonancedirect.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=X5;action=messageindex;start=

Thanks and I hope to learn a lot about helping my anxiety here.

Thank you all
greeg

jo-jo
19-08-06, 21:06
Hi Jodie
Yes I get these too, and the more I think about it, the more I seem to get them. Sometimes I get the fluttery feeling but when I check my pulse its actually normal, which is really odd.
Jo x

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

yorkieq
21-09-06, 10:59
i get them every day. I know that everyone says don't worry but honestly dont.
I got mine 10 years ago whilst working as a personal fitness instructor. I was 21 fresh out of university and a sub 4 minute mile runner. They can get anyone at any time. Fitness is not this issue. Trust me i know.

Acept them, it helps to not slow down too fast. If you are busy or working hard, then wind down, dont just stop, cut out the things that get your body over excited, caffine and fizzy drinks dont help. You dont have to stop, just cut down, plenty of water and dont be affriad to exercise. There is about a 3rd of the people have a heart related condition, Either Ectopics like us or simular none threating conditions like sinus erithmar. (sounds bad and propbably spelt wrong) this is when your heart speads up as you breath in and slows down as you breath out. You probably have this too but you never knew it. It the same respect alot of others have Ectopic beats and dont even know it. Rest assured your not alone, You where right to get checked but wrong to worry. Carry on and dont let it take over.

yorkie

ariella
21-09-06, 18:47
Hi!
About fluttering heart (and telephones)
I get flutters when the phone rings... I don't quite know why.
I tried to change to a 'friendly' soft ring-tone.. to reduce this.
Half the time I just don't even pick up the phone when it rings.
If I feel stressed out, I turn it off all together so as not to have to hear it. (If I want to speak to somebody, I can always call them myself, although I don't like calling people so much either - apart from very good friends).

I am a professional with a "good" job, so at work I do of course make calls when I have to for work situations. And obviously I pick up my work phone if it rings. But I often try to get away with emailing or get a junior person to do whatever needs doing on the phone.

Phones just make me nervous and I don't know why. Does anyone else have this problem?
Ariella

lin
22-09-06, 12:30
Hi Jodie

I get them every day have done for 5yrs now.

linda xx

Jonathan
22-09-06, 16:23
I get them every day and most often at night, as I'm laying down to sleep. I fear not waking up and have to say a specific thing to enable me to drift off to sleep otherwise the panic will keep me awake.

marie66
25-11-06, 23:25
Hi,i've had fluttering heart beats since i was a child,spent a lot of my childhood in and out of hospitals,my mother was told i was an anxious and highly strung child!!I don't want to scare anybody...but when i was 34 i found out that that wasn't the case and that i was actually born with a heart defect...had two heart surgeries since then!!Please dont always take your dotors opinion that its all stress and anxiety...please please get them to fix you with a heart monitor for 24 hours and this will determine the problem.I really hope i havent caused anyone more anxiety but felt i needed to tell you all.My doctor had me on valium and many other medications over the years that i didnt need!

thanx marie x

angie3077
27-11-06, 19:42
Hi, results are interesting! I get them every day, sometimes loads, sometimes few. Terrify me every time though.

Angie x

cazza
27-11-06, 19:43
Hi i get them every day have done for 6 months now! i really hate them ruining my life!!!

angie3077
27-11-06, 19:45
Hi, results are interesting so far! I get these every day, sometimes loads and sometimes only very few, but still....every one terrifies me!

Angie x

LickeyEndBlues
27-11-06, 20:19
I get these occasionally and I have to say I was blissfully unaware of the phenomonen until coming onto this site!!

When I was last with my GP I brought it up, more as an enquiry, rather than a concern. Her view was that these happen with all of us at some point, a bit like a car mis-firing, and little to worry about. In our hieghten anxious states we are more aware of our heartbeat and therefore more aware when it skips, jumps etc.

Cheers

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Stu M
27-11-06, 21:09
I get them every day!!!

Stu

sgp64
28-11-06, 11:49
I get them more frequently when I'm anxious. They used to freak me out but I'm kinda used to em now.

md5299
27-12-06, 22:29
hi jodie,had them for 35years,used to play snooker at county level and my heart would stop and start during matches but return to normal later(adrenilin)i have my heart checked every year all ok,it seems to be a common harmless symptom with a lot of people.does anyone feel dizzy for a split second when their heart skips?mike

md5299
27-12-06, 22:31
does anyone get dizzy when their heart skips a beat?

jodie
27-12-06, 22:54
hi mike

yes i get dizzy somtimes when i get them but just for a second since puting this post up i have had a scan on my heart all was ok but still i get them every day some worse than others .
they still bother me when they are at there worst .

jodiexx

md5299
27-12-06, 23:22
thanks jodie,i am sure you are ok,i went for years and years doubting the doctors so i went private for all the tests and got all the answers.when you get them just say to them,come on and do your worst,you will be surprised after a while they seem to give up,mike.have a good new year xx

MasterJPK69
31-12-06, 20:15
I Have good days and bad days the last time i had one it seemed to last for a couple of min. I do Know it scared the heck out me. I called to my fiance cause i thought the worst but it went away. and of course she was like you just need to stop getting all worked up over it. how can you not if only she knew what it was like she would under stand.[V]

deno1617
01-01-07, 09:52
I get them too. Sometimes it is just the feeling of the "missed beat" followed by a thud and the "fullness" in your neck. Other times, I have as if my heart is literally vibrating or shuddering in the middle of my chest - this is usually followed by a really deep hot flush which usually makes me panic!

I have read so much information on these symptoms that I feel like an expert but they still scare the living daylights out of me!?!?!

Love to all - remember you are not alone with this!

Diane
xx

Nick1981
22-01-07, 22:19
Im with Helen (Giddy). I dont get them as often not im not scared of them.
Nick

It does get better

happyone
22-01-07, 22:52
It wasn't until using this site I realised what they were! For me it feels like air bubbles in my heart.
Happyone

"Today is the day before tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day." wisdom of my daughter!

kilvosa
22-01-07, 23:06
Hi there
For the last 7 days been having them all day sometimes hearts racing other times like its shuddering, have been to docs and was worried sick untill ive read all these posts feel a little better.
Take care
Anne xx

jodie
23-01-07, 11:40
hi

well i still get them every day and im still around !
since ptting this post out i have had a heart scan done and they say all is ok but i still get them all the time best thing to do is not to think about them all the time it realy dose work .

love joxx

Stu M
23-01-07, 13:35
Hi Jodie,

Im curious, what type of heart scan did you have done, and where.

I really want to get some type of scan done to put my mind at rest on this issue, but not sure where to go!!

Thnx

Stu

jodie
23-01-07, 15:18
hi stu

i got my doc to send me to the hospital to get the scan done just so that when i got the ectopics ect i wouldnt be thinking that there was somthing the docs were missing .
lol i carnt remember what the scan was called you just had to lay on a bed and they put gel on the area they needed to scan then it all came up on a screen they told me that that was an ok scan to get done and if they did see any probs they wouldd do more .
you do have the right to go get this done your doc carnt say no !
it haelped me so much .
jodie xx

joolee
17-04-07, 12:21
Ive had ectopics for 4 and a half years now, had the scan and ecgs and the 24 hour monitor but since ive found this site i now dont bother my doc anymore its been great i can now handle them a lot better i notice i get them a lot more when i have my period and the cardiologist said that is very common with ectopics and stress and anxiety causes them to.

i dont read up on them any more i do still get my bad days where i get loads and get scared but i now get a lot more good days as they are not as much as i used to get i now get them about a week out of a whole month which is brill as i know they are slowly going away and great post jodie this has probably made a lot of people like us a lot better knowing how common ectopics is thanks mate xxxxxxxxxxx

Daniel S
17-04-07, 18:26
I used to get them many times a day for about a month and then, as quickly as they appeared, they went away and I cannot recall a single instance since. :shrug:

Meltdown
17-04-07, 20:57
I get them almost every day. If I'm tired or anxious, I get dozens a day, but on a good day, it's just one or two.

I'm trying to ignore them, which sometimes works easily for me, other times I find them terrifying.....

Kind of reassuring that so many of us have the same symptoms, though!

W.I.F.T.S.
17-04-07, 21:36
Just woke up feeling like I could feel every beat in my chest and that my heart was struggling. I tried rolling over and ignoring it, but it feels really uncomfortable and scary. I feel quite sick and dehydrated.

I've had it many times before and I'm still here. Presumably it's a consequence of muscular tension, slightly raised blood pressure, dehydration and being overly sensitive to it. Not nice though.

edwardthebear
17-04-07, 21:49
I get them every single day, sometimes single isolated ones, sometimes runs of them and sometimes the dreaded multiple ones which I am sorry to say still terrify me. I absolutely hate them with a passion, unfortunately hating them doesn't make them go away.

Daniel S
18-04-07, 01:00
I absolutely hate them with a passion, unfortunately hating them doesn't make them go away.

If that were the case none of us would ever get any anxiety symptoms! :D

Piglet
18-04-07, 23:25
I get them in phases - I can go for months and then I'll have them everyday for weeks again.

Stink don't they!!

Meg told me once to try and view them in the same category as a run of annoying sneezes and that has really helped me!:yesyes:

Piglet

Brandy snap
19-04-07, 00:01
Yes, I get them just about every day. They began after I had an operation to have a lipoma removed from my back. I think a germ must have got into my bloodstream during the operation because I started to get terrible stomach/womb-type cramps not long after, then a terrible burning feeling in my lungs area followed by a very heavy burning feeling area in my throat. It seemed to go right through my body, whatever it was, I felt sick and dizzy, and it culminated in my heart suddenly absolutely racing one day and my arms and jaw were shaking by themselves and my hands were thin and cold. After that I started having the ectopic beats (although I didn't know they were ectopic beats until I had been to the doctors - she arranged a cardiogram at the surgery and it was fine, although she felt my heart miss beats when she felt my pulse.) They are better than they were, but never disappeared completely. I used to get a missed one then a terrible thud, and yes I too got the 'full' feeling in my neck at the same time. I would get a 'butterflies' anxiety type of feeling in my stomach when I had one. I nearly always get some after I lay down at night, and my heart always seems to be beating hard when I go to bed, yet when I wake up I'm not aware of it at all.
So I guess the germ episode triggered mine. Don't know if they are permanent. Hope not. Had them nearly 2 years now. Brandy Snap xx

ailsajayne26
19-04-07, 16:52
I get skipped beats occassionally... not been too bad for a while... I often find I get a wierd feeling in my chest like a burning fluttery feeling, occassionally wiht pain.... then I get a really fast heart rate btn 100 - 120 beats per min, I find I can calm down then it will just sruge back up again... then I'll feel dizzy and not right... and like I can't breathe. I 'm generally ok with dealing with it but today It's just suddenly come on cos i thought I heard thunder now I just want to go home and go to sleep... prob is still got 15 mins of work left then home is a twenty min drive down the m-way.... my heart is thudding again now... prob been like this for about half an hour now.... I'm not missing beats but it's feeling pretty awful.... It's very hard to stop my mind running away and screaming your heart is failing.... you r gonna die.... I know I'll be fine it's just convincing my body to calm down!!!

Southern_Belle
19-04-07, 17:30
I get them at night and when I wake up but during the day I'm okay, weird huh!

Laura

beadbabe
23-04-07, 10:16
hello there
I get these every day. And they are making my life a misery. i have them day and night as they are there even when I wake at night, and I have never counted them but there is at least one if not a run of them every minute, so that probably makes thousands per day.
Has anyone ever heard of them going away, because that is all I have to hold on to.
I am dizzy all the time too so this makes things worse because does the heartbeat cause the dizziness.

Alabasterlyn
23-04-07, 11:04
Although I don't get them every day, I do get Ectopic beats and also the fluttering feeling quite often. Mine started back in the late 70's, so I am assuming they are harmless. I have often mentioned them to my Dr and he just says it's anxiety causing the hearts rhythm to temporarily get out of synch. I do find that they are worse when I am in a more anxious frame of mind.

Zanxiety
23-04-07, 11:23
Very rarely, which is really strange because when I have a Panic Attack or something I never feel that I will have a heart attack either. It could be because I don't have any thoughts relating to the beating of my heart, and so I don't get these unusuall funny beats of my heart.

bottleblond
29-04-07, 16:00
I get them daily too, many, many many times!! It's a nightmare!!

xxx

Mrs Rabbit
29-04-07, 18:56
I seem to go through phases - dont have them ( or maybe dont notice them for weeks ) and then get a day like today with several. I hate it. I get a sudden rush of adrenalin or fear and then a horrible pause like everything is draining from my body and then the thumping heart beat which lasts a couple of seconds before going back to normal. Sometimes the thumping is regular and sometimes irregular. Dr has said all ok and ecg fine. Does anyone else have the same symptom ?

joolee
30-04-07, 10:59
Yeah i get the same symptoms as you i get days or about 3 weeks of not getting any but as soon as my periods are due and when i have them i get loads of ectopics so basically i am ectopic free for about 3 weeks out of 4 i used to get them every day cause i always let them get the better of me by worrying about them when i got them which made them worse now i can control them a lot better i does get better if you try to ignore them and breath through them promise hope you feel better soon love julie xxx

june
13-10-07, 13:59
I get the thud - like someone has punched me in the stomach. If I am walking along the road it stops me in my tracks - it is terrifying.
The doc nods and says..... yes it palpitations.
I thought palpitations were the fluttery kind? there are many different types of palpitation Just as your stress comes in many different ways.
At the moment I am having palpitations at night they wake me up and i am very hot and VERY scared.
Best wishes
June

belle
13-10-07, 16:17
I get the thudding too. It is just like someone is punching you on the inside. They happen anytime and anywhere.

littlemiss_sunshine
02-11-07, 16:36
i get them everyday but most of the time when im in bed resting.
hate it. im always shaking too.
sam

dinkydoo
07-11-07, 12:43
Used to get heart palpitations alot and it turned out to be Thyroid problems which are now fine, I still get the odd flutter thou if I am particularly stressed.

(most of the time)

flinty90
07-11-07, 12:44
a few heart flutters are nothing considering yur heart beats over 100,000 times per day lol..... thats nearly a millon times per week and over 52 million times per year and thats for average life over 4 billion times wow what a precious thing our hearts are .. and we worry about it.lol i bet our heart doesnt thank us for not givinh it the excersice it deserves.. or the rest

AmandaG
13-11-07, 22:08
I get flutters, usually when I've been having anxiety episodes, but I've found that caffeine and high-sugar drinks can bring them on. I avoid coffee with a vengeance now

peoplelikeus
21-11-07, 12:09
I have suffered panic attacks for 25 years and now have recently started with ectopics too.......what a life!!!

Not enough sleep triggers mine! This makes me feel lazy.

heartworrier
21-11-07, 18:00
Hi I'm new here. Have been struggling with anxiety for about 24 months now brought on by my first panic attack I think when I thought I was gonna have a heart attack. I get scary heart beats sometimes...a thump in my chest and my throat then an icy cold feeling and immediately think my heart is about to pack in. Got one about an hour ago but I just about managed to deal with it and have calmed down now but it scares the crap out of me. I get these along with palpitations and various other symptoms such as chest pain and pain in my shoulders and in my back. In the past couple of years I've probably gone to A&E about ten times and everything has come back normal. My problem is that I still think that they've missed something and that my worrying is only going to make it worse. It's taken me from being an outwardly confident person to someone who has become quite withdrawn and introverted. I take the odd Xanax (probably no more than one a week) when I am feeling bad but simply don't have the energy to fight it. As I type this I think I can feel something wrong in my chest right now and I'm sick of it :weep:

peoplelikeus
10-12-07, 00:19
:(

loopy loo
10-12-07, 00:32
Hi,
I get these dreaded heart beats every day and night. I get hundreds of them, they are constant and have been for the last 7 months. They basically are ruining my life as they have robbed me of what little confidence i have.
:weep: loopy loo

june
15-12-07, 14:12
I came on here today because I have been so afraid I had a couple of "thudding" heartbeats while I was at the shops - I was and still am very scared - they are horrible.
Then I found that I had written this on 13-10-07
I get the thud - like someone has punched me in the stomach. If I am walking along the road it stops me in my tracks - it is terrifying.
The doc nods and says..... yes it palpitations.
It is very strange how the mind forgets that you have had this before or that "it" is much worse this time.
I get so fed up
Best wishes
June

Yvonne
15-12-07, 17:33
They are classic symptoms of anxiety. Yes they are horrible.

helen_1
03-01-08, 19:54
i started getting funny beats 7 years ago and they still terryfie me i was walking to meet my mum out of work when i had a really strong thud in my chest followed by a really fast heartbeat i really thought it was the end for me i was always going to A&E or ringing NHS direct up constantly i ended up having a heart scan and a 24 hour heart monitor which picked nothing up the doc said it was ectopic heartbeats and nothing to worry about i still get them and right now i have a fast heartrate and i am a little breathless but i think its the anxiety i have always been anxious i think this all started and i know its silly now but at the time i thought it was goin to happen when it was on the news and in the papers about the end of the world it was bout 7 and half years go in august i panicked like mad but it turned out it was just an eclips of the sun if anyone remembers it. so i guess im stuck with these horrible things now and i still bother the doc now about them going to see him next week as my heart is racing now:weep:

peoplelikeus
12-01-08, 15:56
we're all with you

Kyri
12-01-08, 21:30
Glad I found this site... :yesyes:

I've been suffering from panic attacks for the last ten years and now my heart started playing up...
I occasionally get these very painful ectopic heartbeats like someone punching me on the chest. Sometimes I feel a flutter which can also be painful. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night all sweaty having palpitations and a weird sensation of one moment feeling cold and a moment later hot.
Like many of you I constantly check my pulse, and worry that I will some time have a cardiac arrest.
Within the last six months I did two exercise tolerance tests, echocardiograms and had a holter monitor twice.. oh, plus numerous ECGs! I have seen five specialists and been to four hospitals! but I still don't feel re-assured. It's good to know I am not alone...

Kyri
xx

shaz01
12-01-08, 23:14
Hi everyone,

Reading these posts just makes me realise how many get exactly the same symptoms I get....I was the same, I thought palpitations was a fast heartbeat which used to get, then I would get the flutters, the thud, the times it goes haywire and I go rigid with fear and wait on the next one coming...and when I try to explain them to the doctor he also says......yep palpitations, so basically the word palpitations must cover everything.

I get them when Im 'overthinking', when Im stressed, when Im calm, when Im lying down ready to sleep, infact they can happen at anytime and sometimes I just dont know why they are happening, then I start thinking about what I have eaten, have I had any excerise but to be honest sometimes they just happen when theres nothing to explain why.

Anyhow its unreal to think of how many of us are suffering and how common this problem is.

Shaz x

Rachey poos
13-01-08, 00:14
I me too... had them for 2 years ..that was 10 yrs ago and since last may they have been back.. and worse.. i have episodes where my heart just goes out of sync one beat after the other and oter.... once for about 20 mins... if they start now i just lay down and let it happen... and i must say since accepting them and chilling out a bit more .. i have had the best two weeks since may !!!! check out my site! link below!

shaz01
16-01-08, 21:09
Hi everyone,

Ive read on several replys that people often check their pulse, my problem is the opposite I hate even having to touch it, I hate anything that you can hear the sound of a heartbeat...it makes me paranoid. Is anyone else like this?
Shaz x

june
18-01-08, 12:35
Hi Shaz,
The problem there is you are afraid it will stop while you are listening.
What a horrible thought!!!!!!!!!
I used to be the same, now i count about 12/13 beats to 10 seconds and then say "Yep thats OK for a bit".
The doctors response "it is only palpitations" Yeah right!! that is not how it feels to me.
I told my doctor that i feel like hitting him when he says "only" do you relise how terrified I feel? I asked.
He said "June if you saw as many people as I do who come to me with all these 'funny' symptoms - which are palpitations - thats it, thats all it is palpitation". He also said he was sorry if he sounded uncaring but peple with anxiety like me have a multitude of symptoms which are just that - really nothing to worry about.
I was happier with that explanation we both chatted for a bit BUT we both know I will be back there with "these funny symptoms".
Neither he nor I has a magic wand and basically that is what is needed to rid us of our awful symptoms.
Sorry if that was a bit of a ramble
Best wishes
June

nanny
18-01-08, 16:19
I get them and have done for years, i find the more you think about them the more they happen. Saying that they are scary and it's hard not to worry when they come along.

debera
08-02-08, 01:29
i agree with you nanny. the more you think about them the more you get tnem. they are horrid. i wouldnt wisht them on anybody
debera

hemsy
12-03-08, 14:40
Hi all,

I get them too and have for 3 years,they crept into my life after a bout of panic attacks and Hyperventilation. I seem to get them more when Im at work or behind the computer and when I'm concentrating. Also tiredness and the wrong food types seem to trigger a day of missed beats and flutters. I can't say after three years I feel any less scared when I get one, it freaks me out.
Does anybody keep a diary of what they eat or do before they get a period of funny heart beats. I'd like to compare results.

Thanks and good luck to you all,
Hemsy

shaz01
13-03-08, 23:14
Hi Hemsy,

I thought I had already replied to you but no sign of it!!!!

Since I started getting the funny beats I have tried to work out what I had eaten, what I had done, had I had enough sleep, was I stressed, had I taken any medication or caffeine and to be honest it seems to be anything that can kick them off, I will be really interested though to see what everyone else thinks as I will be glad for any advice that can help!!!!

Shaz x

loli
21-04-08, 20:04
Hi,

I get sooo many of them a day plus the constricting throat thing and the choking sensation and the feeling funny my god if its not one thing its another. I get pretyy fed up of all this sometimes but then other times its okay but i always get scared. i suppose the day i dont get scared ill be okay. When will that day be lol???

yvette xx:yesyes:

Dickyboy199
22-04-08, 11:58
Hi there,

Haven't posted for so long now! Sorry! Used to view this forum a lot because of anxiety and palpitations but then found a heart forum so spent a lot of time reading and posting there. Don't seem to read or post on any forum so much now. But anyway back to your question.

Yes I do get ectopic beats every day. I have suffered from them since I was 19. I will be 44 this August! I have been to the doctors, hospitals specialists at least twenty times over the years and had every test possible, even a probe down my throat to scan the back of my heart from inside!! A TEE I think they call it! I have had hundreds of ECG's and loads of 24hr moniters.

But the heart specialist still insists I have nothing wrong with my heart and the extra beats are just benign. I have been on Beta blockers for a couple of years that did help but about 4 years ago I developed a run of beats which I now get on exercise, anxiety and sometimes after food. I will normally get this run of ectopic beats lasting about 5 -10 beats every day and some days it will happen sometimes 5 or 6 times. This run of beats has been captured on tape and even during an exercise stress test. But the specialist just tells me I need to exercise more and that I will live live to be 180!

I worry about this every day and last year it really started to control my life. Even though I still get fed up with these ectopics I realise that I cannot do anything about them and no doctor will tell me anything different so really I have just got to live with them. I really don't think there is any other option for us when we have had our hearts checked out and the tests say they are structually normal and the beats are just benign.

I firmly think that anxiety causes many of them and so do the usual stimulants i.e anxiety, coffee, chocolate, lack of sleep, deydration, spicy food etc. So I hope my input helps your poll and knowing what it is like to suffer with these pesky things I do hope that all of you in the same boat as me can get some relief from them and try to accept them as being normal to 'you'. Try not to panic about them and try to relax. I know it's not easy!!!

Take care all of you

Best wishes

Rich

bab
01-05-08, 22:56
I get them when I am not anxious - why?
this makes me worried its not the anxiety

Cathy V
04-05-08, 20:35
I get them all day every day whenever they decide to return to haunt me again! At these times they can last up to a month. In between these spells i have a reasonably normal life with maybe just the odd one or two milder ectopics during the day. I can go for some months without them too. The flutters come and go also, but nowhere near as bad as the ectopics. I know the docs say we have to learn to live with them, but its hard to stay positive when its your heart thats involved. Neither time nor tests seem to diminish the awful dread and fear of them for most of us...what hope is there for us ectopics?:shrug: Best wishes, Cathy V x

debera
14-05-08, 18:17
Hi
Does any one get the single missed heart beat that can go on and off all day . I have had them for over a week now and it is starting to scare me. although i have been told by the doc that is all down to anxiety.I seem to be focusing on them all the time. i have had these before and now they have come back again and its putting me into a panic.
debera

Lexi
14-05-08, 19:26
I get them every day :( its so hard to belive its all anx especially as i have been hospitalised with svt in the past eugh, though did mean i got an echo (which was fine) on the plus.
hope everyones keeping well!

popsy
15-05-08, 17:09
I feel like i get any extra beat sometimes and also like my heart beats really quickly for like 4 beats and then goes back to normal again, sometmes it really worrys me!

shaz1
22-06-08, 07:00
I get them - its horrible, its been happening for about 25 years on and off - I can go for months without anything and like n ow for instance - I have had them on and off for the last week nearly and I absolutely hate it. Even though I have been checked out I still panic. It is hormone related and as I am really starting the change, I think this is what it must be. The cardiologist I saw - twice - said its my achilles heel and nothing to worry about. How often do you get them - and do you have what I have?

debera
28-06-08, 16:10
hi shaz
i can get them maybe a few a day or they can be all day off and on. i hate them so much. i find the more i worry about them the worse i get.but its very uncomfortable and hard not too worry.
debera:hugs:

loli
28-06-08, 22:47
HI,
Somtimes i get them all the time and then its weeks on end without any trace of them. If i remotely think about them for a while or have stress or for no reason whasoever i just get them then the whole im scared of them thing starts again and i get them for ages again which i hate. It seems to rear its ugly head regularly knowing its scaring me and when i forget about them they go, weird dont you think, especially knowing that theyre stress related, cant win.:yesyes: :whistles: :yahoo:

ferber
02-07-08, 18:02
Missed heartbeats is quite normal, it is actually supossed to be that way.

A little exercise often makes it happen way less :)

Mikke
20-07-08, 18:59
I have struggled with panic attacks for 10 years, but the palpitations are new to me :/
They came about after a single intense panic attack with hyperventilation, and for the last few weeks they have been around, sometimes once a day, sometimes several times an hour.

I must be one of the "lucky" ones, as i have rushed to the ER twice and the ECG monitor actually picked one of them them up the last time I was there. The doctor said they were harmless (but uncomfortable) skipped heartbeats (ectopics) that are triggered by stress and anxiety, but it's hard to find peace with it, especially since mine are rather uncomfortable, I sort og loose my breath for a split second too, and if I don't calm myself down, they tend to go on for an hour or so.

The reason why they come about even when we are not having anxiety attakcs was explained to me by a friend of mine who is a doctor. Beeing aware og them, and fearing them som intensely, put our body and minds in a constant state of alert, which keep levels of stress hormones in our blood very high, and the heart responds to the adrenaline. The way to get rid of them is to pay them no more attention, so that our levels of stress hormones declines. Easy to say, hard to do, but it makes sense. He told me you have to face the ectopics with ignorance to minimize them.

Also, I was told by a psychologist there is no way to really get totally rid of them - every living thing with a heart have hundreds of them everyday, and they are completely harmless and stressrelated. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a skipped heartbeat every other minute (that's simple math, as we have 800 og them every day). You can minimize them somewhat with certain medications, avoiding coffe etc, but there is in reality no way to get rid of an important function of our nervous system.They can according to my doctor not make your heart stop, they can not cause dangerous arrythmias, or bring on an heart attack.

There is, again according to my doctor, extremely rare that heart palpitations represent something dangerous, especially in people younger than 60 years old (and even if your more than 60, most arrythmias are benign).
Think about it - getting a Holter monitor, in my country at least, takes about two weeks of waiting. That would not be the right procedure if these arrythmias often turned out to be dangerous.

But - knowing all this, having one of my ectopics showing on the ecg and given a thumbs up from my doctor, seeing a therapist who says they are totally anxiety related and not harmful - I still get scared beyond belief everytime I have one.... :/

alan b
06-08-08, 17:44
hi,yup i get them every day when i am worked up,by the less stress the less ectopics,but i agree the mind is more of a problem than the beats
take care all
alan

Iove
12-08-08, 16:18
Hello,
I just started getting them for the past 3 days. But they have been constant... everyday, all day. about 2 every minute or so. Does anyone else get them that often?

Doug10562
22-08-08, 19:35
I normally get one or two a day, just got one sitting at my desk "work"
First thing I did was hit the site for comfort ;)

jodie
01-09-08, 20:28
hiya all

well not replyed to this thread in a long time .
i guess there is a lot out there with ectopic heart beats .

i can now say thankfully things do get better for ppl who have these dam things, i am now still getting a few but not as bad as i used to be ,i would say it is all in the mind how you deal with them, i think once you have had them you probs will allways have them but this dose not mean you will feel as scared or panicy about them.
when i get them i dont give then any thought i just get on with things it has taken me years to do so but god i wish i had been able to do it when they first started.
so please all of you who are still having a bad time with them know it dose get better in time:hugs:

jodie xx

Rachey poos
01-09-08, 21:31
thanks for that jodie.... im still havin a bad time wiv them,,,,,, hopefully it will end soon xxx:shrug:

debera
02-09-08, 01:17
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_80.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_1_14.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_1_14.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN) hi jodie
you were right hun it does get better. but i am like you if i do get them bad again i will panic also. i would like to thank you for the support you gave me when i had that rought time with them a few months ago. thank you my friend i couldnt have done it without you
love debera
x x x x

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZN (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb097_ZN&utm_id=7925)

umpiresld
02-09-08, 03:46
This is my first time here......I have had skipped heartbeats and panic attacks for almost 30 years.....off and on.....last attack was approx 2 yrs ago.......They have been bothering me now since April of this year....At first I didn't know what the missed beats were, until I took my pulse...."I wish I hadn't because that set off more panic attacks" I have had EKG...Echo Cardiogram...Stress Test...Barium Swallow Test, where they found a small hiatial hernia, and after all of them they said my heart was fine.....their answer was that you have lived this long with this, if it were going to harm you it would of gotton you before now......thats ok but when these things come at you full force, it can be hard to keep calm.......this seems to be a great place and if anybody has anything to offer, it would be greatly appreciated........thanks for your time.......steve:blush: :blush:

Pudding
02-09-08, 10:22
Hi Jodie

I get these almost every day also, the throat thing too and they make me feel a bit breathless when they are bad, like every other beat almost. I had a heart attack 2 years ago and they seem to be even worse since then. I asked the heart specialist about them, in fact I even spent a night in hospital when they first started because it was every beat for over a week, they monitored me overnight and he said I did have ectopics but that they were harmless and any drugs they could give me to banish them would have very serious side effects. I don't have them every beat now but like everyone else, in spells for several hours. I try not to worry but after a heart attack everything scares you! I was assured that 99% of cases are benign so try not to worry, easier said than done I know.

Love Fran
:winks:

Rach3l
25-09-08, 10:30
Hi - I've had them (ectopic beats) for a half a year now - varies in occurenece - most weeks some episodes and can last all day or night, or half days. usually aware of them when try to rest or relax. Not sure whether they motivate me to keep busy! I know medically there is nothing to worry about, but the physical side of them makes me feel slightly anxious or 'just not right'! Have stopped caffeine, reduced alcohol and at moment too tird to exercies! Last night I had run out of Redbush tea (no caffeine) and had an ordinary one. Big mistake. Went to bed with very strong beats and had some vivid dreams. Each time I awoke had the same hard, variable beats. All the dreams which all had issues in them to produce anxiety or some sort of heightened arousal - usually from some sort of percieved threat. Is this my mind intepreting the physical symptoms and trying to give them a psychological slant? Anyway off to buy some more redbush!

LeeBee
25-09-08, 11:25
Redbush rocks. I love it.

I've had at least two bouts of ectopics - fluttering irregular beats followed by with the familiar heart-stop then THUMP - per day for the couple of weeks or so, until yesterday and today. The only thing I can think of that I did differently was eat a banana and some avocado. Both are high in potassium. Hmm....

ruthb1
25-09-08, 15:09
i have just started getting missed beats/papatations and they are the scariest thing ever. I have suffered with anxiety for 4 years now and thought i had all of the symptoms but this one tops the lot.

i get a fluttery feeling in my throat first followed by a thud in my chest, i get it most of the day except when i am in bed relaxed. I have been under extreme stress lately due to finances mortgage going up and not helping myself just worrying myself sick but these have really frightened me.

i have been to the docs and he has listened to my heart and said its fine and i have just been for blood tests today, so hopefully nothing will show up.

ruth

Mikke
26-09-08, 01:04
Yes, they are awfull :weep:
I had panic for 10 years beeing blissfully unaware of the body beeing able to throw at me something new.
Bu the skipped beats are the worst symptom. I'd rather hyperventilate for the rest of my life or avoid crowds until I die than have one single skipped beat again!

titchjd
10-10-08, 09:02
Hiya ..yeah I get flutters constantly ......I have had anxiety on and off fora while but these are a new thing for me .....never had them before but they drive me mad ..I have an ECG 2 day as I have them al day x

Sillyblondegirl
26-10-08, 22:29
I get them almost every day, several times a day. The first time I got them I went to the Emergency Room and was kept under observation for a few days. They couldnt find anything so I was told it was "all in my head", they gave me Xanax and sent me home. I have been to cardiologists and rhythm specialists. I do have an abnormality in my heart rhythm but was told it was nothing potentialy fatal and not to worry. That is much easier said then done when my heart does flip-flops and I cant breathe. My left chest hurts and I get shakey. I pop 1/2 a Xanax and hope I wont keel over dead. I have been put on Celexa since then and it seems to help a little. I dont notice them quite as often, but even some are too many. Yesterday it was all day.

pele33
28-10-08, 23:20
Every day and every few beats at the min, very worried !

Gizmo
31-10-08, 10:46
Hi Jodie, I get these everyday, they have calmed down in frequency though. I found that cutting caffiene out and taking aloe vera gels (25mg) really helped me. They haven't gone completely but I can deal with them better.

Hope this helps
x

ahanson
11-11-08, 21:31
Hi Guys, I started with the funny heartbeats years ago and i would get one or two at a time and then nothing for maybe 6 months or more,so they did not really bother me. Then a few days ago i started with them bad, literally hundreds a day, so i went to casualty and they said everything was fine and this happens to lots of people. I have to go back for a 24 hour monitor at some point. It a horrible feeling and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas what causes this and will it go away, cause it's doing my head in.
Thank You.

rothko
01-12-08, 17:23
I have a strange fluttery feeling that comes on every so often, mixed with palpitations. At it's worst I get what I can only describe as a feeling of a very large bang in my chest, it literally knocks me off my feet and leaves me feeling totally confused, dazed and dizzy.
I have a heart murmur and LQTS and due to the nature of the death of my father, grandfather and uncle get very paranoid about it. Seeing the cardiologist didn't really help me.

AlieD
02-12-08, 04:48
Hello :) I am brand new to this site. I am 26 years old, student in college, married but a year & a half, and stepmother to 2 boys (ages 15 & 10). My mother, father, and uncle all have heart palpatations/problems. I've been treated for anxiety in the past, but insurance ran out so treatment did as well. Over the past 6 months, my heart has gone from a few extra-strong beats a week to sluggish or 'sticking' or missing beats at least 20 times a day (what I believe are called 'ectopic'). A week ago today I was lying in bed and I had what felt like an adrenaline rush in my chest...it steadily strengthened until it felt like someone had inserted a hot butterknife through my heart :scared15: ...I had my husband up and dressed and ready to take me to the hospital. Over the past week I've had at least five of what I'm now calling panic attacks. I'm becoming quite concerned. A month ago I spoke with my doctor and he dismissed it as just an anomaly-I'm too young for problems (even though my patient history has my parents' problems :shrug:). I guess my question is this- how young is too young for problems? Is there a way I should speak to my doctor to get his attention, because I'm quite scared. What age is 'normal' for panic disorder? Is what I'm going through even considered panic disorder?

I will say this--reading posts on this site has DEFINITELY helped alleviate some of my concerns. I was convinced I was dying. Any encouraging words you may have will be appreciated :D

Thank You! ~Alison~

kaynbrian
27-12-08, 01:39
I wish i only had heart flutters. alot of times when my heart does something funny i cant breathe in or out for a few seconds and a big knot in my throat and i get dizzy than i panic. I can handle it fluttering or little miss beats i have gotten use to that but when it like misses in my throat i hate that!!!:weep:

lovemypets
27-12-08, 01:40
I get them everyday, all the time. My doctor is going to implant a recording device that I wear for a year. I had a 21 day monitor which showed a lot of extra heart beats and non sustained tachacardia, but nothing that concerned him. However, I told him that I get so dizzy and clammy hands and feel like I am going to pass out. It happens at the exact same time as the palpitations, so I know the feelings I get aren't from anxiety. It's too sudden for that, if that makes sense. But I worry all the time about it. It's the number one reason for my anxiety.

lovemypets
27-12-08, 01:43
Hi,i've had fluttering heart beats since i was a child,spent a lot of my childhood in and out of hospitals,my mother was told i was an anxious and highly strung child!!I don't want to scare anybody...but when i was 34 i found out that that wasn't the case and that i was actually born with a heart defect...had two heart surgeries since then!!Please dont always take your dotors opinion that its all stress and anxiety...please please get them to fix you with a heart monitor for 24 hours and this will determine the problem.I really hope i havent caused anyone more anxiety but felt i needed to tell you all.My doctor had me on valium and many other medications over the years that i didnt need!

thanx marie x

How did you finally find out you had a heart defect?

kaynbrian
27-12-08, 01:46
sugar and caffine causes alot of the miss beats. i found L carentine with co q 10 helps my miss beats it has reduced dramatic I use to get like 100 non stop beats. But trust me it really works!!!!go to www.bioinnovations.net (http://www.bioinnovations.net) and get the L carentine with co q 10 try it for 1 week and you will see the difference. I was scared to death to take any meds but one day it had missed really hard and bad and after i started taking it in one week it improved alot!!!

never2late
28-12-08, 00:08
I've just finished reading this thread from the beginning. I'm currently going through the same thing: skipped heart beats with that "butterfly feeling" for an instant when it happens. I had a run of them for six hours the other night, wound up in the hospital for 24 hour obs, and I was given the same diagnosis: stress and anxiety . . . nothing else wrong with my heart.

Since that episode, I've had them every so often -- but I'm trying my best to apply what I've learned from Claire Weekes and her panic suggestions. I'm just applying it to my ectopics when they happen. It's tough. These are very, very scary when they happen. And the fear seems to come on its own. The fear seems to actually be a PART of the missed beat itself.

But, for those reading this for reassurance, I can say that they did just about every test in the book on my heart and everything is fine. Not one doctor or specialist seemed the least bit concerned. The advice given was for me to find something to occupy my mind when they come on. Find something to keep me busy and to take my mind off of them. They seemed pretty sure of themselves when they said that thinking about them and paying attention to them only makes them worse.

So that's what I'm going to try to do. I had an episode begin last night at 3:00 a.m. in bed. So I just lay there and, as Claire Weekes would say, just accept them and pay them no mind. I'd say it was over in minutes. I was totally surprised, actually. I then fell asleep, and stayed asleep until morning.

Aren't we a real bunch!!!

If you have these, and need someone to talk to when you're scared, just PM me. I'm here for you.

chrissie1951
28-12-08, 23:58
This is the scariest thing in the world, I get so I am frightened to move or to lie down and they make me so very tired. Trouble is it's a vicious circle, the more you are afraid the more they happen, but the question is how to stop being afraid when you are expecting to die at any moment. It really is that bad!!

AshmanUK
29-12-08, 03:07
This is the scariest thing in the world, I get so I am frightened to move or to lie down and they make me so very tired. Trouble is it's a vicious circle, the more you are afraid the more they happen, but the question is how to stop being afraid when you are expecting to die at any moment. It really is that bad!!

Absolutely ditto!.

Atm in the last three days as they have returned big time for me for some reason..sitting down/laying down is about impossible till i physically cant stay awake as im getting missed/skipped beats/ectopics and even multiple ones which are imo, straight from hell.

A nightmare which i share with you all and the worst thing is i had these years ago, they simmered down and went and now they have come back i think stronger all of a sudden, why is it we or i can never learn from the past when it comes back even stronger!.

never2late
29-12-08, 15:15
A nightmare which i share with you all and the worst thing is i had these years ago, they simmered down and went and now they have come back i think stronger all of a sudden, why is it we or i can never learn from the past when it comes back even stronger!.

I think ALL of our symptoms come back "stronger" after we have been symptom-free for any length of time. The reason? We're so very disappointed that the symptom(s) returned after feeling so good for so long.

The strength of the symptom returning is in direct proportion to our sense of disappointment.

Learn to accept that ANY symptom can return at ANY time. Don't feel badly if you feel down that a symptom has returned. Just accept that it has, accept that you're disappointed (anyone would be!), and that -- just like in the past -- it will run its course.

valleybear
13-01-09, 22:22
I too get these pesky beats every day, worse through the night, every second or third beat sometimes. Exercise abolishes them for a time but.....
I had them this bad 8 years ago and had all the tests etc. but used to sit and cry 'cos they were so bad.Then they went away after 18months and now they are back!! Stay strong and the other posts were so right ... the more you ignore them the less they become...

Gabby0124
14-01-09, 22:25
i USED TO GET THEM THEY ARE CALLED PVC'S.I was even hospitalized.They are usually just from stress or caffeine.I went to the cardiologist and he gave me this medicine called Metoprolol and it works wonders.

Nicholas Scott-Payne
06-02-09, 22:49
I reckon that eptopics are a good thing... ! Now, i know people are going to say "he is bonkers" but think of them as friendly. Fact is that 99% of people that suffer a heart attack or likewise are totally unaware of their heart and its beating patterns. The reason why we feel missed beats is because a certain few million of us (lucky or unlucky) are super aware of our own heartbeat. I can even now look at another persons carotid pulse beating in their neck in a supermarket que or on a underground platform and calculate their heart rate ! Bad and sad eh .... As we are aware, we then feel every little variation and jump out of our skins, apparently most humans have eptopic beats but not all feel them. I have had the tests and been told by cardiologists that they really are harmless and apart from stimulants stress induced. We have to get out of the cycle.... eptopic - worry - stress about dropping down clutching our chest - cough - eptopic - more worry and so on. Missed beats let us know we are in fact alive and breathing, we tend to look after ourselves more as a result and no doubt will live longer and happier looking back and thinking ' I can't believe i worried about these all my life ! ' I really hope this helps you ..... / N x

CarolineB
19-02-09, 19:59
Hello everyone, this is my first post. it's reasuring to know you are out there.

I'm sitting here in tears, after a bout of palpatations.

I hate them so much! I can handle most of the other side effects from my G.A.D but these are just so scary. It's not painful it's just a fluttering in my throat and when I feel my pulse it's irregular, Quick then slow, then a double beat, then a missed one. It's terrifying. I hate the fact it puts me off excercise too, they always seem worse after i've done some working out.

I was on beta blockers at one point a few years ago but I can't remember if they worked? And I spent so much time worrying about the side effects of the beta blockers anyway!

Anyone have any advice?

Sob! Caroline.:ohmy:

Debbied
20-02-09, 17:28
Most days although trying to get used to them and convincing my mind not having a heart attack.

dave21
20-02-09, 20:30
how long have you had them?
I have suffered since oct 08 and am still scared a lot of the time. Thats why im on tonite. i have been quite bad with the little buggers today but i come to this board when i feel bad and realise that so many people are going through the same thing and they are still here.
Take comfort from the people here and try to ignore them as much as possible. Not easy but please try.
Think mine are worse because im due to be going to hospital monday for 7 day holter monitor then i have echo on 4th.
Best wishes
Dave

sharona
06-03-09, 13:20
Hi
I get them nearly every day . I have had a 24 hour heart moniter on but the results were clear. The consultant at the hospital told me they are not serious. Because I have high blood pressure as well and I thumping in my head and missed heart beats, they had decided to put me on a heart/blood pressure moniter for 24 hours. I had the appoinment come through this morning for April 20th (Long time away). I will let you know. The less you think about the beats the less u get them. Its a vicious circle as I get them, then I worrry about them, then they get worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope this has helped.

Sharon:)

kestral
08-03-09, 10:09
:wacko: :huh: i get a lot of the things mentioned on here and the gp is checking things out. i find myself always checking my pulse until its almost become an obsession. i check where ever i am. im sure others must do this, but has anyone been able to stop doing this? any advice anyone?

cheers alan

kestral
11-03-09, 11:10
:wacko: :huh: i get a lot of the things mentioned on here and the gp is checking things out. i find myself always checking my pulse until its almost become an obsession. i check where ever i am. im sure others must do this, but has anyone been able to stop doing this? any advice anyone?

cheers alan

:shrug: oh well!

missheartbeats
13-03-09, 08:42
debra here these heart flutter / palpitations well i get them often say 4 / 5 times a week ususally single / but the past week thys have been bad i mean reall bad and i can stop thinking of them , i mean it will come and go bo last nite from 9 until 2 this afternoon , and i spoke 2 soon happening again , it makes me tired and then i dont wanna sleep as im worried i can as they get so bad , been rushed 2 hospitals and they always stop when i get 2 a hospitaL?? any ideas had many herat scans but when they start seems hard 2 stop them , i have had racing heart , the missed beats and the other kin=d when u have a missed heart beat and suddenly you are flushed with heat , and vomiting as im frightend , heart specialist said nothing wrong have worn holter moniter and ecgs , can find anything , surely it cant be good 4 ya heart 2 do this even if it is caused via stress , and seems worser like more frequent be 4 my monthlys anay ideas

CharlesLinden
13-03-09, 09:14
Just an idea! Takes a little bravery at first but practice makes perfect.

If you take a deep breath and hold it... your brain will activate the 'dive reflex'.

This reflex is what happens when you dive into water - your brain says "oooh water, no breath and I don't know how long it will be till I can breathe again, so I'll slow everything down!"

The dive reflex slows respiration and circulation to allow the body to store reserves of oxygen.

Holding your breath, causing the dive reflex' resets the heart rate! If you do it, you may feel one BUMP of your heart as it resets but then your heart can go back into a normal rhythm. Also, splashing your face with cold water, swilling cold water around inside your mouth and eating cold apples can help activate this response.

It may feel ODD at first but it really works if you can do it!! I did it hundreds of times when I was anxious and I know many thousands of people who have done this!

Charles

simonk
13-03-09, 23:06
Hello All

I've not posted for some time - 2007, but am back on because I have had some sort of relapse with health anxiety and have realised now that most times I am driven toward panic it is down to ectopics or similar.

I get the flutters and thuds and sometimes a flutter with a tiny but distinct pain at the bottom of my throat that can take my breath away if I am not careful.

I find that mine come mostly when I would be unable to easily get help or when a panic attack would cause most disruption - such as on the train or in meetings or other more social events where a trip to A&E would be impolite :wacko:

I find that distraction can help but I know that these things can drive me into panic seemingly at will, though thankfully very few and far between except the last couple of months.

For all those (like me in the recent past) who feel their pulse or chest when these things happen the single most powerful piece of advice I was given was to take the plunge and to stop checking my pulse, heartbeat, chest. I know it's difficult and I'm not there yet - every time I lay still I can feel it in my thumb, or head, or ears - but I try and focus elsewhere, it has made a real difference as I know that before my relapse I had allowed myself to get back into some checking behaviours, and aggressively controlling those, plus exercise (had gotten lazy) got me back on track fairly quickly. Not completely under control yet but do feel better.

Any one with specific advice on how to ignore the b*ggers is very welcome to comment - despite knowing all the science they can still properly turn me over.:doh:

Best wishes all
Simon

summer82
13-03-09, 23:53
i get them too. mostly at night. skipped beats and sometimes a really harsh "thud" like my heart wants to burst out of my chest.

BamBam
16-03-09, 17:40
Phew...I am so glad to have found this site - I feel much better to know that I am not the only one going through these things. I suffer with palps regularly - that is to say sometimes I can go a few weeks without any and then suddenly, they will appear and start messing up my heart-beat. I get massive thuds, sometimes a whole heap of flutters which really terrifies me - they make me feel sick with panic. I keep telling myself they can not hurt me and, actually, the more I have, the less afraid I am of them. Yesterday, whilst doing my exercise, I had a few flutters - it made me angry instead of afraid because I was trying to concentrate on my strength training. They went away after that.

missheartbeats
19-03-09, 14:40
funny hearts beats well i have always been a stress head and suffered . depression , anxiety and panic attaks , of and on for 17 years been off and on tablets and had missed heart beats the docor said they were PREAMTURE VENTRICUALR BEATS , so i went 2 hospital as i had them from thursday until late sunday nite and the found on the monitor i was having theses pvbs as they are called i usually have 1 a week but for some reason over the past few months they are reallyt bad like befpore my period is due funny thing ive never had runs of them ever just occasionall ones seen aheart specilaist three times after the last trip 2 hospital a few days ago im being referd bk 2 a heart speacilist , each time they say nothing wrong with my heart , i have all blood levels great , no high blood pressure , low cholesterol , no thyroid issues i am a smoker but cant understand why im having thenm really bad about 3 days before my monthlys are due this is recent any ideas ????

MOZZY
19-03-09, 15:31
I also get them most days and at this present moment my heart is racing. :blush:

jalba
20-03-09, 13:03
My first experience started last November and lasted about 3 days. I quickly became unaware of them.

I waited for a 24 hour halter which did not arrive until mid February. Apparently the halter indicated an irregular heart beat, but again I was not feeling it.

At the end of February they really kicked in! My pulse fluctuated between 80 and 147. My heart was erratic, it did not let up, and I was now conscious of it 24/7.

Currently I am taking Metoprolol Tartrate 3 x 25 mgs and my heart beat is still erratic 24/7. My resting pulse is between 80 - 95, although it still climbs to 130+ on occasion.

I have tried magnesium 2 x 250 mgs per day (currently stopped) and quite a few glasses of red grape juice...............with no success.

I am really quite frustrated, because I have lived a healthy and fairly abstemious life! Now it is on hold, and too focused on this problem. I really want to move on, but it is difficult because I keep monitoring my pulse to see if there is improvement.

simonk
20-03-09, 23:41
Hello again Jalba

Bit of a leap, but try to stop checking your pulse - you are (or seem to be) getting into a classic health anxiety checking behaviour which will reinforce the way you view your chest feelings.

To stop checking was by far and away the best piece of advice I was given about my health anxiety, which is driven for the most part by ectopics and random chest pains.

Alongside the caffeine (see my other reply) I had fallen back into checking behaviours before my recent relapse (pulse checking and feeling my chest etc.) and I am certain it had contributed. See if you can stop checking now, and have a good look at what you are doing and see if you have fallen into other checking behaviours - for reference my backgroundis just like yours but about 15 yrs younger - I have had sporadic bouts of ectopics with anxiety and panic for about 12 years.

Best wishes
Simon

jalba
23-03-09, 17:13
Hello again Jalba

Bit of a leap, but try to stop checking your pulse - you are (or seem to be) getting into a classic health anxiety checking behaviour which will reinforce the way you view your chest feelings.

To stop checking was by far and away the best piece of advice I was given about my health anxiety, which is driven for the most part by ectopics and random chest pains.

Alongside the caffeine (see my other reply) I had fallen back into checking behaviours before my recent relapse (pulse checking and feeling my chest etc.) and I am certain it had contributed. See if you can stop checking now, and have a good look at what you are doing and see if you have fallen into other checking behaviours - for reference my backgroundis just like yours but about 15 yrs younger - I have had sporadic bouts of ectopics with anxiety and panic for about 12 years.

Best wishes
Simon

Hello Simon,

Good advice!

I had considered buying a pulse check watch, simply to monitor my pulse rate, during rapid walking. It was to ensure that it was not getting onto dangerous territory, following my experience of 147 beats per min whilst resting.

Despite the possible utility, I have now decided against this.

I have given 3 different health professionals the opportunity to confirm that the arrhythmia is psychosomatic, but on each occasion they have been quite adamant that it is not!

The beta blocker is doing its stuff now, as my heart has slowed right down and although still arrhythmic, it is not so erratic.

I hope your situation is ameliorating also. :yesyes:

Best Wishes

Hugme
29-03-09, 19:05
Hi everyone good to know that there are others out there being driven crazy by their missed beats. I must admit that I don't get as many as some people, but recently there have been a few bad runs. In the past I have had all the tests but at the moment because the pattern has changed, I am now scared out of my wits. I have started to get one or two whilst walking the dog, and getting to the point were I don't want to walk far. Does anybody know how to be a little less bothered.

Love to you all

sb001f8994
01-04-09, 15:30
Hi all,
I get them some days, maybe only feeling like Ive missed a beat. But can you remember what came first? The missed beat or the anxiety? Do I feel anxious and I get them or do I get them and it makes me feel anxious!!!
xx

hoppipolla
11-04-09, 13:21
heh, how weird that most of us seem to have them!

I do get them, and they vary a lot in regularity.. at the moment in my life I am always getting weird feelings in my chest and stuff but actual flutters are less common... it's all a result of too much tension, heh :)

jodie
24-04-09, 21:28
i just wanted to catch up on this thread and let you all know how i am doing .

now days i don't get as many of these dam ectopic heart beats and i think it is coz i am not so scared of them anymore,if i get on i don't panic and therefor get more,if i do it is the odd one.

for them who still get them hang in there they do go in the end it took a few years for me but in the end im doing a lot better

jodie xxx:hugs:

laura jane
26-04-09, 14:29
hi everyone

jodie xx
hi my names laura and i have had eptopics for 10 years they drive me mad can anyone plz help me as i feel all alone and nobody understands how scared i get xx

jaspar
27-04-09, 21:03
I get them every day to some degree. They can be a run of fast beats or flutters, thuds or missed heart beats. I have had them for 28 years and I am sick of them. I also have pulsatille tinnitus even though I have not been to the doctors because I am too scared. I grind my teeth and wake up most mornings with neck ache and tension. I am going on holiday to my favourite place, Portugal, this weekend and I am fearful of going because last time I went away I was anxious and had palpitations some day and had to take beta blockers. I feel anxious most days and when I relax it is worse.
You would think after all this time I would cope.

jazzmowsky
04-05-09, 20:23
I am new here today - I am in bigeminy most of the time and terrified. I have been assessed by cardiology consultant and have PAC's and PVC's but that doesn't reassure me at all. Am in the middle of the worst day ever. I just need to have some courage, but really don't know how I am going to get through this.

Please help if you can.

Best wishes. Julie.:weep:

kestral
05-05-09, 10:44
hi jazzmowsky
thats one heck of a name, anyway to the problem you have, ive got something like your experiencing, as have most of us on here, its a confidence sapping experience when these things are happening and makes you feel lonely and isolated as well as vunerable. have you tried keeping busy or relaxation techniques and what did your cardio consultant advise?
alan

melissaT
13-05-09, 14:42
Hi all,
Yes I get what feels like a missed beat which makes me take a deep breath. Every time it happens it feels like its in my throat and my heart has stopped. Then suddenly its back to normal but some days I can have them all day long and nothing I do gets rid of them. I've cut out the caffeine etc, i've had an ecg, 24hr monitor, everything fine but i never get these missed beats when i am being checked over. Last few days though they have been really bad, hundreds of them. Does anyone else feel like their heart has stopped and like they have to take a deep breath or cough to get it going again?? I know its probably my mind but they are so frightening and up till 18mths ago i had never had one and can't understand why they've suddenly started. :blush:

These are the bane of my existence in other words I hate them!
Sometimes I will get a lot of them for days and weeks and then nothing for awhile
My dog had a seizure yesterday so yep you got it later on and this morning as well I got the thuds and skipped beats as I was thinking of her and hoping she didnt have one while I was at work
They scare the dickens out of me and frankly they have bothered me the most of all the anx symps
Had an echogram weeks ago and doc said all normal
Yeah, except my mind which is not normal
I also get a tightness in my throat when these occur
Does anyone else also get the throat thing in conjunction with the skipped beats and thudders?
As I am sure many of you will agree, one's mind takes off running to a not so nice place when we get such things as the skipped beats, shudders and all physical symps of anx for that matter
We have a sensitive thermostat as I once read someplace that gets set off easily whereas people without anxiety do not
Sending good wishes from across the pond for a happy week

Hugs,

Soup

" I have developed a new philosophy.....I only dread one day at a time." Charlie Brown

mae000
18-05-09, 15:14
i hear you thanks for posting that... i was being misdiagnosed for months ... the docs kept reading my symptoms as anxiety... I come to find out i have blood clots in my lungs and i nearly died... now the docs keep telling me i am ok and very healthy again.... i do still have palpitations all the time and racing heartbeat every blue moon ... i am finally learning to trust docs a little but i also have learned to go to the doc when something really doesn't feel right with my body... I have had the holter moniter done, echo, ekg, stress test, heart monitering in the hospital so I don't know

mae000
18-05-09, 15:20
i dont really feel dizzy when they happen but i do feel like the breath is knocked out of me

bingley
18-05-09, 15:25
yes, everyday, sometimes I get a strange sensation when my heart flutters running down my arms, its weird, does anyone else experience this ?

phil75
18-05-09, 15:58
Yes, know the feeling all to well, dont get them as much as i used to though,
the wors't for me is bedtime (jump ups) i call them, just getting of to sleep, then, BANG!, big deep breath, heart goes into overdrive, and it takes me ages to settle, wonder if anyone else gets thease, and what are they about?, or called for that matter,

Phil

loulx
02-06-09, 11:09
I get them most days... sometimes lots, sometimes only a couple. Used to be infrequent, but now most definately frequent.

laura jane
19-06-09, 00:29
Hi all,
Yes I get what feels like a missed beat which makes me take a deep breath. Every time it happens it feels like its in my throat and my heart has stopped. Then suddenly its back to normal but some days I can have them all day long and nothing I do gets rid of them. I've cut out the caffeine etc, i've had an ecg, 24hr monitor, everything fine but i never get these missed beats when i am being checked over. Last few days though they have been really bad, hundreds of them. Does anyone else feel like their heart has stopped and like they have to take a deep breath or cough to get it going again?? I know its probably my mind but they are so frightening and up till 18mths ago i had never had one and can't understand why they've suddenly started. :blush:
hey hunni o get them 2 ur not alone hun xxxxx

shellike
27-06-09, 11:42
Hi everone.
I didn't realize that this was a problem for so many people. I have had these for a long time now. But up untill now have not been able to get an answer to my question which was do I need to worry about the frequency of these.
As I get them most days and this worried me. But finding this has given me a lot of help.

clairebear
19-07-09, 12:32
Well where do i start?
i first started with anxiety last year when i was pregnant. i was laid in bed one night and my heart seemed to start juddering, stop and then started banging away. i was so scared i thought i was gonna die.

went straight to a+e and had an ecg. was given blood tests for clotting and overactive thyroid.docs were great as i was pregnant and very scared. i was told it was anxiety and started taking medication called CITALOPRAM which is a form of antideppressant used for anxiety to sort out the chemical inbalance in our brain due to all the adrenaline your body releases when you are panicking.

the medication has been great so after 6 months i came off it. BIG MISTAKE! i returned to work after having 9 months maternity and the stress of looking after 2 kids and working made me very anxious.
iv been bac on the medication for a month and everything was fine until last night. ...
i was actually fast asleep when i woke up not being able to breathe and felt my heart stop beating for what felt like a few seconds. this kept happening and i went straight to hospital and had an ecg whixh showed abnormal heart rythem but the doc sad this was nothing to worry about.
so i came home to bed and tried to sleep but everytime i started to drop off, my heart started missing beats again and now im too scared to close my eyes and im soooo shattered. has anybody else had long periods of several seconds where their heart seems to stop completely?

libby.hall
19-07-09, 16:46
I get them every day.

Ophelia105
21-07-09, 21:57
does anyone have funny heartbeats followed by faintness or dizziness? Or have I got congenital heart failure....?

I have never fainted after one of these episodes yet but come close to it once or twice...

The flutter also makes me cough...

Do I need an echo?

BamBam
21-07-09, 22:00
I get them every week, although not always every day. Today for example I've had them all day long. Before this, I hadn't had them for nearly a week. I hate them - they are so annoying. After 8 years of them, they still terrify me although I get so fed up that I sometimes just shout out at my heart to stop messing around! And yes clairbear, I too sometimes feel as if my heart has stopped.

For me however, I have noticed a pattern. They are worse when I am stressed (obviously), when I haven't had enough sleep, if I've eaten too much sugar/haven't eaten etc. I've also noticed that if I breathe too quickly, it will kick them off.

music maker
30-07-09, 16:03
Ophelia105
You probably don't have heart failure, but go to your Doctor and get them to check you over, ectopic heart beats are really very scary and the more you worry the worse they will be. Be strong, eat heathy, get enough sleep and try not to think about them, before long the odd one will take you by surprise and you will realise that you haven't felt a wierd beat for a long time. I used to have ectopic beats really hard and every third beat, it stopped after about five months and now I occasionally get an odd one if I lean forwards. I haven't drunk coffee since last october and I REALLY miss it!!!

clairebear
01-08-09, 19:12
Hi there
its been about a month and i have only had a couple of nights where i get palpitations. for all those of you that struggle to sleep, i find if i put on a film, or a music channel, i aways fall asleep within an hour, as i cant hear my heartbeat. dont put anything scary on though lol. i always put one of the kids disney films on and i have a lovely nights sleep. i know it sounds really sad but i cant stand hearing my heart when im in bed at night. maybe i need to see a counseller or something..... anyway hope everyone is ok xxxx

gary_2.0
01-08-09, 20:55
I like it. It tickles.

Am I alone in this view?

mel07
09-08-09, 09:59
Hi been diagnosed with pvc's which have been geetin on and of for 3months. Have had them every few beats 24/7 for over two weeks but now I have noticed frequent runs of 3-4 very fast beats several times a minuted and less missed beats. At night when I lie down this become worse and it just seems that my heart beat is totally irreguar and i find it difficult to sleep. I'm not keen on going back to docs as all they say is anxiety, to see a cardiologist I had to go privately. Any advice?

Mel

Meg
09-08-09, 13:04
This is such a headliner for anxiety sufferers and goes on and on so I thought I'd add a few lines with a bit of hindsight.

As many of the oldies know I have done my lot of panics and anxieties and I have shared much of that journey here on NMP through articles and posts.

I no longer have anxiety or panic but I just wanted to share a bit about these palpitations that may or may not prove useful to some. During anx I had racing heart, fluttery heart , irreg heart etcetectecetce and I lived through it and no harm came to me.

For several years since I've not had any of those symptoms until one day out of the blue I had a big run of them .. eeek and they continued and continued. It made me anxious but not panicy. I went to the doctors and went through the whole gamit and yes it was ectopics , beautifully recorded on the monitor and on paper. But why ?? Noone could answer me that. I was offered all kinds of betablockers but I didnt go that way . In the end I think I figured it out.

I went and asked for lanzoprazole 30mg (15mg wasn't enough), an anti acid, a PPI. and it has made an incredible difference . If I just swallow it and nothing else, it helps a bit BUT taking it an hour before any food in the am and drinking copious amounts of water after meals helps enormously.

My theory is that it's acid reflux ( maybe I need to lose a stone or two or a few years have passed and I'm getting older and my stomach valves are not as strong ) for whatever reason and I think that as the acid goes up the gullet it stimulates the vagus nerve which goes stright into the heart and causes the bumps / flutters.
Both my cardiologist and GP were not convinced but they keep prescribing it and I keep taking it and I feel heaps better. Still no anx or panic in sight.

Knowing that being anxious does definately create more acid production, I would put several handfuls of money on the fact that some of our anxiety led palps would be also reduced by a course of PPI - not forgetting the water. That was crucial to me, it seemed to dilute the acid to a non stimulating level plus washing it down to where it belongs in the stomach, rather than being in the gullet/throat.

Anyway , I thought I would share this in case anyone whos really bothered about these bumps/flutters wants to give it a whirl.

Meg ( back momentarily)

shorty1969
11-08-09, 09:25
When i first got anxiety and panic i got them every day and night ,couldnt sleep for worrying about them ,in and out of A&E every other day thinkin i was dieing . I found the more i thought about them the worse it got . I still get them now and then ,sometimes all day ,sometimes the odd wee one here and there ,and yes i still get a fright when it happens ,but after a couple of minutes i put it out my mind and forget about it . I didnt go out the door for almost a year they where that bad , scared incase i collapsed in the street :ohmy: . Stress does trigger them in me .

MoonlightFire
12-08-09, 16:10
I get flutters and squishes. I get them once a week/2 weeks or so. I've had them pretty much all my life I think. My Dad says they are double heart beats and are very normal - sign of a healthy heart he reckons! He, on the other hand, regularly has missing beats which were noticed on an EKG! Much rarer and not so normal but I don't think he has required any treatment for them.

Soxbrooker
12-08-09, 16:30
I would say everyday for me, if its not flutters, its thuds or just a heavey beat all day.

Panickypants
12-08-09, 17:43
Jodie sweet
I get them every day..some days worse than others.. and especially when i go to rest.. its a nightmare..its scary ..its frightening.. and the fight makes you tired and weak darling dosnt it.
But the secret to success .. is exceptence love.. exceptance that it cant harm you, and jodie you know how bad i get these heart symptoms. Read my pm.

[:I]

Ashley x
I have them like this too and it scares the hell out of me BUT is is reasurring to know someone has the same symptoms it sort of makes you worry less . x

I get terrible worries about my heart so good to know it's not just me

gary_2.0
15-08-09, 02:08
I've already posted elsewhere on this thread to say that I enjoy heart flutters, though perhaps it was taken as a joke. Moreover one can achieve a similar effect on a rollercoaster or when one falls in love, so it's all good as far as I'm concerned. I'm generally not thought of as one who thinks along conventional lines, so take that how you will. :D

Perhaps I should also add that, independently of these flutters, I occasionally get a sharp stabbing pain in my chest, vaguely in the area of the heart. This is not as fun, but quite rare and only lasts a few seconds. I have been experiencing both these incidents for years now, perhaps for as long as two decades from what I can estimate and I'm still here, and I have no other effects, nor have the incidents increased or worsened in that time.

I suffer with anxiety, depression and agoraphobia, so I'm not going to tell anyone not to worry, but personally I never have and nothing worse has ever come of it. It seems worth posting my experience to testify that it can very easily be 'Just one of those things'.

I think Meg's post (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showpost.php?p=535780&postcount=171) above is a very good contribution to this thread, and again goes to prove that although we can't easily stop worrying, it doesn't prevent us from doing some research to seek our own solution.

teez
17-08-09, 12:21
yup most days , but i do get the odd day without them

alan15
30-08-09, 00:18
hi everyone

jodie xx

I have been having PVC'S for about 4 years, the last 24 hour holter recorded
over 1000 in one day, 'Premature Ventrical Contractions' the fear and panic these pvc;s induce can be very bad, has anyone else had this experience

pinktart2009
06-09-09, 10:38
hi, angtsoup, yes i get the throat thing too, thats the ones that hurt me, as if someone has just squeezed my heart, also it makes me a bit dizzy headed too, but all been checked out and found they were the super ventrcular events, but since ive been tsking bisoprolol, the fluttery ones and thud and squeeziy throat ones have not been so intense..im due to have yet another Halter tape recording on the 16th sept as a panic attack put me in hosp 2wks ago...found out it was changing from one med to another, but wasnt informed by doctor this may happen! so panic yet again!..

keleb0709
08-09-09, 05:26
Hi everyone. I'm new and thanking god right now for this post! I suffer GAD and the core of my problem for the last 2 years is these darn skipped beats! I get them all day every day! Worse at PMT time, worse when i think of them (in fact i believe it is thinking that brings them on)!! Worse when i bend over or lie on my left side, they just really bring me down! A while ago they used to go away for months but this year have stuck with me! I wish there was an answer but take comfort knowing i am not alone! Has anyone here seen the panic away website? It's my lifeline, worth a look guys.:flowers:
Thanks for listening.
Kelley.

Tangerine Man
26-09-09, 06:53
ever tried deep breating exercise when feeling like this. my therapist taught me it and it helps.

concentrate on somethig or somewhere nice. sit comfortably. breathe in whilst countiung to six slowly. hold your breathe whislt counting to six slowly. breathe out whislt counting to six slowly. count to six slowly. then breathe in to a count of six slowly again , etc for as long as it takes.

Just a thought.:)

Bianca79
27-09-09, 11:26
Hey guys, this is my first posting. I have also suffered from ectopic beats for the past 12 years, but they became more prominent after I had an ablation for palpitations. I take metoprolol twice a day to keep my heart at a normal rate. Ectopic Beats still scare me, and I become very agitated, nervy and sickish when I have them. I have learnt to control myself from going into a total meltdown though!! Everything has been checked quite a few times and I am told my heart is ok even though it doesnt feel like it at times. I have learnt over the years that if I am stressed, tired and worn out, am not eating well or the temperatures are up, I will have these episodes from a couple of days up to a couple of weeks (I have been getting them on and off for 2 weeks now). The best advice I can give if you have been given the all clear is to remain calm when experienceing them, rest, take time out to recouperate and mentally tell yourself all the time that your are ok (easier said than done, I still struggle daily!) Look after yourselves and will be interested to hear how everyone else deals with them.:)

hemsy
29-09-09, 19:05
Hi Guys,
I have had these damn skipped beats for around 6 years and they annoy the hell out of me. I'm not really panicky about them unless what I call a ""double flip and shake" happens, which makes you stand up and wanna run somewhere. The last month they have been particually bad and I think connected with a period of stress at work and quite a bit of drinking. When I am having these spells of etopics I seem to be extremely bloated at the same times. In any case what a great thread this is and it's really cool to have the chance to share our experiences.
Cheers,
Hemsy

PanicOver!!
29-09-09, 19:13
Hi

I get them more in the evening when i sit to relax or at least thats when i notice them more, seem less intense now i am not scared of them x

loli
05-10-09, 22:24
my panic attacks are like one hundred percent better but i still get these every day, sometimes hundreds a day sometimes not at all. A few months ago i had a holter eco thingie and everything came back normal so i suppose im okay im still here lol but still cant get used to them after all these years

johnbyrum
05-10-09, 22:53
it's sooo great to have found such a thread! I have ectopic beats for more than a year on and off (anxiety attacks at off times :D) and I would rather have anxiety attacks than *tic tic tic --- THUMP*. This is really disturbing but this single thread is enough to relax cuz I see lotta ppl out there who have them. I feel better now I will really try not to go crazy about them.

Amanda_27
08-10-09, 19:28
Hi, this is one anxiety symptom that hasn't bothered me for a while, until today :( I think it's because my worry has been aimed at my heart and chest area the last couple of days. I find it one of the worst symptoms of my anxiety because it is so terrifying feeling your heart fluttering or thudding away in your chest for what feels like absolutely ages. Of course I just went and googled it, and it directed me to lots of scary conditions which was why I came on here, to reassure myself that it was just my anxiety which my doctor has told me many times!! :D

johnbyrum
08-10-09, 20:11
hi amanda, I also googled the first time I had attacks or these skippings and as you said I came upon many fearful conditions but when I found this website along with many GAD suferers I am relaxed now :D This anxiety disorder makes us feel the most craziest feelings...

Amanda_27
08-10-09, 20:51
hi amanda, I also googled the first time I had attacks or these skippings and as you said I came upon many fearful conditions but when I found this website along with many GAD suferers I am relaxed now :D This anxiety disorder makes us feel the most craziest feelings...

I should really ban google from my computer :blush: I always use it to google symptoms and march off to the doctors armed with printouts of alternatives to all his anxiety answers, lol. I must admit he is really quite patient with me and he sits and explains to me why it is not possible for me to have all these other diseases I am sure that I have. I agree that since I have found this website my anxiety has reduced and if I feel like it is getting on top of me I just come on hear and read other people's advice which makes me feel so much better. I do have my off days though, like today for example :D

cheyenne
08-10-09, 22:18
hello my doctor said its from to much coffee and nicotine

Charles23
18-10-09, 10:18
Hi All
This is my first post and I too have the dreaded palpitations with the odd skipped beat.
It is very reassuring to know that I am not alone.
I have had and ECG and worn a holter monitor for 24 hours (all ok) and my doc says I have "the classic symptoms of anxiety"
I am back on Lexapro 30mg a day heading towards 40mg after being off it for 4 months. Plus 2.5mg Diazepam 3 times a day in the short term.
I am also trying spoken relaxation scripts.
I'm not particularly scared of the palps but they can be quite distressing.

Salojan
05-08-10, 10:00
Hello everyone

I used to get those heart flutters occasionally for almost 6 years now and as it is obvious it is somehow associated with anxiety which I am suffering from too. I had 24 hrs heart monitoring in 2006 which came normal and recently in April 2010 I had Echo and ECG in which the report came out absolutely normal. I get palpitation most of the time but the Specialist told me it is all due to anxiety and stress, add to this most of the time when they occur I am bloated and full of gas which I think somehow play a role in this. yesterday I had one when i was sitting at a cafe with friends and it sounded like a string double beats all together for a bout few seconds but to be honest it was scary and horrifying. Great relief to find this thread and know that it is a common thing and many people get it which means it is not threating. I've been having health anxiety for almost 6 years now but for about 3 years or so I've been clear of everything when I wasn't anxious I didn't get any of those for about 3 years but they returned back when my anxiety hit again which means it is not actual heart problem as heart defects always constant not on and off so cheer up people

Typer
06-08-10, 19:09
Its amazing when people say they went away for a few years. It is that idea that gives me hope

Serafina
07-08-10, 15:20
Get them a lot recently.. drives me barmy but just cant stop it. Makes my stomach churn and think any minute my heart is gonna stop

Typer
08-08-10, 00:09
I get days and even weeks like that/ I hate them with a vengeance

Kelley
08-08-10, 13:05
Mine are pretty much there everyday. Although when i am busy and happy they seem to have magically disappeared! Which I haven't been so fortunate to experience lately. Sometimes i get a 'run' of them where my pulse goes, beat, skip, beat, skip, beat, skip.......and by this time i freak out and the whole adrenaline rush happens. Mind you, i have no other symptoms at the time and i go about doing what i'm doing! My doc told me that the only time to be concerned is when i get pains and blackout so i tell myself to not keep going over what happened and move on. My Claire Weekes book always helps too.:winks:

sophie
12-08-10, 19:56
Mine was due to being anemic, once I started eating protein (Iron) all went back to normal.

Karenm
14-09-10, 11:21
Hi there yes I get the tight throat thing too! not v nice!! Wish we could just take a tablet and be cured! lol

Gloria
18-09-10, 15:34
It is interesting to see how many of us get funny heart beats every day. I have tried the last few days to try meditation, but at the moment can't seem to do it as my heart thumps all over the place and I find it really scary. I just wish I could stop it.

shipmate
18-09-10, 17:21
I have them most days somtimes they go on for hours i also somtimes i know i going to have then as get this feeling in my chest somtimes get short of breath then the dam palps start do anyone else know when they are going to have them funny feeling in chest or arms e.c.t
i wish they would go my life as not been the same last 12 months

AbbyH
24-09-10, 14:25
I get them also. Most of the time just one or 2 a day, but then once every month or two, i get to spend a good couple hours having 1 every minute or so. I hate them. Interesting to see that so many people with anxiety have them. I have had panic attacks for the last 10 years.

ALEX WIDDOWSON
25-09-10, 19:51
im feeling my pulse now skip skip skip hate them shall i phone an ambulance thats all i think its hell on the mrs bless her had all the tests im fine im in a and e every 2 weeks its embarrassing if any of u guys are on facebook look me up 4 a chat its alex widdowson im in a yellow t shirt at mo on the beach

miss polly
27-09-10, 09:47
I didn't sleep a wink last night. I was exhausted when I went to bed and felt fine but moments after I lay down I got that weird feeling in my heart and then it started. My heart was doing backflips and frontflips and then racing. It felt like my whole body was shaking. Everytime I nearly dropped off it was like my heart had stopped and I gasped for breath. I honestly think it's just going to give out! The strange thing was I was too tired to actually go into a full blown panic attack. I'm feeling so tired this morning but I've got that feeling in my chest that it could start again any moment. I'm just exhausted with it all quite honestly.

GreatGigantaur
07-10-10, 21:05
I get that bubbling sensation too. It's like I've got indegestion but then my heart starts doing weird things. Very odd

kazzy48
21-10-10, 18:05
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and have recently been hooked up with a 48 hour monitor to try to work out what my heartbeats are. I can be doing anything, relaxing or otherwise, and my heart skips a beat and I get a sinking pausing feeling like my body has stopped working for a few seconds. Then the heartbeat comes back and I get a headrush and sometimes an icy feeling in the top of my body. Sometimes I feel light headed with it. Also, when my heartbeat comes back it sometimes comes back very fast and feels different. The best way for me to deal with this is to be calm until it gets better. Hopefully there won't be anything bad on the monitor. It was captured on the monitor a couple of times. Has anyone else had this.
Thanks
Kazzy

ectopicsufferer
03-11-10, 22:49
i used to go weeks without them but now i get them daily however the stress in my life at the moment is major so that is probably contributing towards them x

Typer
19-11-10, 00:27
There is an awful lot of people, just on this site with them. You would think someone would do more research with so many disturbed by these:

mr badger
28-11-10, 10:23
Never ocurred to me that my arrythmia was anxiety/stress related :doh:

Been here for one hour and already feel encouraged and a bit more resourceful.

That's put my mind at rest over something. Got checked a few years ago and. despite family heart issues, I was given a clean ticket.

I also get attacks of low blood sugar - will research a bit more.

shaggyowen
28-11-10, 11:06
lol look how many has voted on every day =] funny shiz

roslyn
24-12-10, 00:09
Hi there,
I have been having extra heartbeats for 25 years, I see a cardiologist every year, and I am assured all is normal.
It frightens the hell out of me, but this site has given me a lot of hope.

kirstyt
24-12-10, 00:21
Hi.this ruined my life for a yr.i had 4 ecgs all normal.the reason we feel them so much is cause we r constantly feelin for them.i was constantly checkin my pulse and thats y i was so bad.i still get them but i try not to think about it and i hardly feel them anymore.i also get alot of flutterings that startz from btween my boobz and goes up into my tbroat.that happens quite alot!seriously if u dont feel fir them u wont notice them.my doc said my heart has prob been doin it for yrz!its only my anxiety that has made it so noticable xx

Typer
24-12-10, 03:22
Its amazing how many people get these. Had never heard of them before I got them...Now a few people have said they have had them at some time or other. I know two people where they went years ago and one only gets them when stressed. I get them daily

sezios
27-12-10, 22:20
Been getting palpitations/irregular heartbeats/missed beats for 4 years now (before that only once in a blue moon!). Started after a really bad period in my life but didn't see the connection for a while and still not convinced there isn't anything seriously wrong with me of course as I am a 'glass half empty' type of person! Had numerous 24 and 48 hour monitors, an echocardigram and seen cardiologist (although not for 3 years now). My worries are increased by the fact that my mother has AF and regularly has to go through cardio aversion (although she is almost 75 and has lived with it for well over 40 years), and at my worst I convince myself that I will end up like her. I can have periods where I have them all day every day for weeks and months or just once or twice a week. They can definately start when stressed but in contradiction I have had some very stressful events and no palps! Sometimes I get them after eating a meal and sometimes I think they may be a hormonal connection. On the advice of the cardiologist I eat at least one banana a day and GP suggetsed a magnesioum supplement. Can't really say if either of these has helped but won't stop taking them just in case! They scare the hell out of me and as soon as I get them I go into a depression. Finding this site has helped and I regularly read the posts to gain reassurance. I have asked for advice a few times but don't get any replies - perhaps I don't post them in the right place:blush:. I have just had a 'flutter' and you can probably tell from the length of my ramblings that I am trying to get something off my chest, so to speak! If you are still reading, I apologise:)

Mountainclimber
01-03-12, 20:23
Check out my thread on WATER WATER/ :whistles:

LittleMissSleepy
03-03-12, 14:48
I was really stunned when my GP said palpitations are really common and nothing to worry about. I was thinking how come I managed a few decades without feeling or knowing about them, and suddenly I am getting them most days since I got poorly/anxious. So I am trying to be kind to myself and have given up my beloved chocolate, caffeine and alcohol. And am trying to drink more water and learning how to relax properly. What scares me more than a palp. is a racing heart. I'm on a low dose of Propranolol and still get the occassional palp but I tend to acknowledge it and ignore them now.

Lilac rose
25-03-12, 03:03
I can't even count how many ectopics a day I get. I have had them constantly for over eighteen months. I have been told that I am missing every tenth beat. When I went to the GP originally, I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid. I was glad there was a reason for my condition, because it was making me weak and dizzy. However, after treatment and becoming hypothyroid, I still had ectopics. My thyroid medication is now balanced and yet I still have ectopics. I have a fluttering in my chest all day everyday. I find it difficult to walk and talk at the same time in complete sentences. I am especially weak and dizzy in the mornings, when I tend to be clumsy and have lots of accidents. I am not anxious, just very sad that my quality of life is so poor. A life I fought hard to keep, since I beat cancer four years ago. The last thing I want to do is waste time obsessing about my health so i try so hard to ignore it.
I feel trapped in my own body.

Rachel1979
30-03-12, 10:18
About 2 years ago I was told I have atrial ectopic beats but that it was nothing to worry about and actually quite common. The seemed to happen every day which totally freaked me out but then one day, out of the blue, they just went away. I wonder if I just blocked it out or if they actually stopped.

But in the last 6 months, they've come back so I did another holter monitor and again was told I have atrial ectopic beats and that they're are nothing to worry about. I find that so hard to believe because they are so uncomfortable! Naturally, anything to do with heart is scary. I feel trapped in my body sometimes.

I am always on edge waiting for them to strike again and when I decide to relax and stop worrying, they get worse. Sometimes they wake me in my sleep. I wonder if they are triggered from adrenaline because I think my body is in a constant state of adrenal exhaustion.

It really irks me. I can't ever imagine being ok with them. They're happening daily. They make me very uncomfortable and I find myself avoiding social events because I'm petrified that I'm going to have a heart attack or seizure. Very depressing : (

I've started seeing a therapist who is also a GP though so I'm hoping she will help educate me as to what's going on. I often make the mistake of googling symptoms which is a big mistake!

I read an article on this site about palpitations which I revisit all the time for reassurance. I recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

Hope this helps. Thanks for listening x

LittleMissSleepy
30-03-12, 11:50
I find it difficult to walk and talk at the same time in complete sentences.

I'm the same as you Lilac rose, although I didn't realise it might be to do with the ectopics. I find it difficult to risk laughing, or talking while walking or eating. Mainly because I am feeling breathless, do you get this ? It sometimes feels like my chest/lungs are restricted and I can't manage more than to whisper a single word let alone a complete sentence out. My GP has not really said why this is happening or what is going on. I mentioned how scary it is though. I just assumed it was GERD related.

Lilac rose
31-03-12, 00:15
I found out last week that there had been an error and that the cardio should have contacted me following my 24 hr halter. I have four different types of abnormal heart rythmn and have been referred back to cardio. My case is definitely not anxiety. I am on a low dose of bisoprolol while waiting. Within hours of taking this medication my face slimmed and my eyes became whiter. I don't want to discuss it here too much because I think my case is unusual and I dont want to fuel anyone's anxieties. I must stress how very poorly I was. I haven't worked for months and have felt as though I was fighting off general anasthetic for eighteen months. ALL THE TIME. I do not suffer from any anxiety related illnesses. My symptoms were mistaken for treatment I had for Graves disease, which my GP now acknowledges. My advice is to get your symptoms checked and then trust your doctors and try to trust and enjoy life.

LittleMissSleepy
31-03-12, 14:19
Really sorry to hear this Lilac rose. I've never been thoroughly checked out, as they assume it is to do with other issues they know about.

I understand your reasons for not discussing further. I hope you can get some sort of normality and comfort back into your life with the right help/care.

Lilac rose
31-03-12, 15:19
Thanks little miss sleepy. Im sure I will be fine in time. I hope you get some relief from your symptoms too. It's hard to keep calm when your heart is racing, I know. If all your symptoms are checked and nothing abnormal is found, may I suggest pranayama breathing, it is wonderfully relaxing and strengthening and you can download apps to help you learn how to do it.

rosekay
06-08-12, 15:20
I get loads of them too, horrible. Sometimes really violent, as if my heart is jumping all over my chest. Holter monitor and echogram says all is normal - makes no sense! Am slowly starting to come to terms with it - though still hate it when it happens! Been going on for 20+ years, not killed me yet! Have you looked at the Heart Palpitations Forum? So helpful, I couldn't have managed without it!

saab
07-08-12, 20:46
Just to reassure people, everything I have read suggests that ectopics are very common and usually benign. The benign type are easy to identify on an ecg monitor and they do not lead to heart disease or other cardiac arrythmias. Best thing is to get yourself thoroughly checked out, try to identify what triggers them if anything, and then try to relax as stress makes them worse.

OliviaD
05-09-12, 11:32
I may have them for some days, then they stop. :shrug:

peter34uk
05-09-12, 14:36
how many people experience ectopics every 2nd or 3rd beat?

Dazzaroonie
22-10-12, 12:27
Hi everyone,

I'm an occasional sufferer of an irregular heart rhythm. Having read many posts on this forum, I count myself lucky that my symptoms aren't as acute as others. Nonetheless, they can still be a real nuisance.

Back in February of this year I began experiencing heart palpitations. They appeared one evening whilst I was laying in bed and since then have re-appeared at various points throughout the year, albeit with several weeks between episodes. Currently I'm going through a period where the palpitations are quite persistent (several days in a row), which is the worst they've been since it started.

The palpitations usually present themselves as a flutter of 3-10 extra beats, which can occur either randomly or at more regular intervals. Certain actions can aggravate them; for example, I find taking a deep breath often triggers a flutter, and laying down (especially left side) can set them off. But in general they come and go as they please.

I've managed to rule out alcohol & caffeine as catalysts. I don't consider myself to be prone to anxiety either, but I guess we all wrestle internally with certain issues, even if we don't feel stressed by them at a conscious level.

Like many other sufferers, I find an irregular heartbeat very intrusive in day-to-day activities, especially when trying to sleep; I'm a light sleeper anyway, so it doesn't take much to disturb me. I often find assuming an upright sitting position helps ease the palpitations, although I'm rarely able to sleep like that, so getting settled can be a tedious process.

During the day I find activity helps keep my mind off the fluttering sensation. Hard exercise doesn't seem to be a problem; in fact getting my heart rate up helps establish a regular rhythm. But generally moving around or bending over can aggravate the problem.

My GP doesn't seem overly concerned following initial consultation - needless to say, the palps weren't present when I went to see him! I'm about to have some tests done (ECG and blood test), and with no other symptoms to speak of (shortness of breath, dizziness etc) I'm reasonably optimistic that it's nothing serious. But for now I just need to go through the motions and await the outcome.

Anyway, sorry for the huge post! My sympathies to all who suffer this annoying condition. It's a hugely frustrating thing to live with but it definitely helps to hear other people's stories, and to share your own experiences with people who understand.

natsphantom
22-10-12, 12:32
Hi Jodie, Yes i get fluttering/skipped/racing beats everyday. Even if im feeling ok, and less anxious. It is scary and not nice to experience. Hope your ok though!

fruity
24-10-12, 09:44
hello jodie. i get those heart nasty sensations sumtimes. especialy wen i av a virus. but i do get them. they r scary. makes u feel panicky.

ajones473@yahoo.com
31-10-12, 14:54
Iv`e had the occasional ectopic beat since I was 15, but about 15 years ago they became more frequent until one day I was having so many that I panicked & went to A&e. They put me on an ecg machine but found nothing wrong. Iv`e since had various tests including a 24 hour ecg, & then I was told that I had a benign condition called 1st degree heart block, which is common in athletes & people who are very fit. I was told that I don`t need any treatment because it can`t do me any harm. I only hope that theyr`e right.