PDA

View Full Version : Am I a fruitcake?

bogie2
30-04-06, 23:01
Hi
This is such a great site and it's amazing to see I'm not alone.

I suffer from GAD and health anxiety and often feel so miserable about it that I wish I was dead. I'd never kill myself and don't actually feel suicidal, I just sometimes feel it would be better for everyone and myself if I actually had one of the many illnesses I worry about.
I'm single and have been for years. Just can't envisage anyone putting up with me.

I have lots of issues. I worry about illnesses constantly. I seem to fixate on 1 illness at a time and it seems to go into a compartment of my brain and niggle me until I'm convinced I have it.

Because I'm single - and I know this sounds insane - but I worry that people think I'm some sort of sexual deviant. I had boyfriends a few years ago but since I became a teacher, I've just been too busy and tired. People have tried to fix me up with their friends and because I didn't fancy them, I started to worry that maybe I wasn't straight after all. I've even worried that people might think I'm into children or animals. I have to say I've never felt the slightest thing towards women/children/animals but I'm haunted by the worry that I might turn into someone who does. Some days it makes me feel physically sick and I feel uncomfortable if I look at women in provocative clothes or kids who I dont know, as I'm scared I might get some kind of reaction which would prove it to me.

I'm also scared about being more than 4 minutes from a hospital. I read somewhere that if you have a heart attack, you have to have a response within 4 minutes. I live right opposite the A&E dept of a hospital so always feel safe at home. Driving out of town ,even going to my parents house makes me feel a bit panicky. I'm not too bad if I know the route I'm doing, but if I'm driving somewhere unknown in the counrtyside, I start worrying that I'll stop breathing, and I have to really concentrate in order to breathe. Sometimes I cough and get really confused about whether I'm breathing in or out. I eventually get quite panicky and start looking for places to pull over. I tend to calm down on approaching a town as I know there will be a hospital and someone to help me.

Am I a complete fruitcake?
I'm actually having counselling with a community psychiatric nurse at the moment but there seems to be no end to it as every time I go I seem to bring up more and more issues.

Will I ever get better? I used to love driving and flying but the thought now of getting on a plane and not being near a hospital will stop me ever going on holiday again.

Is there actually any hope for me?

bogie2
30-04-06, 23:28
Gosh - having just re-read that - I'd just like to add that I didn't mean that homosexuality should be in the same category as children and animals. I'm not homophobic and I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I have such terribly low self-esteem that I shall now probably beat myself up over what I wrote and possibly not even look on here again for fear that I will have offended someone who will then have a go at me.[Sigh...]

This is why I hate myself.

ConfusedByLife
30-04-06, 23:30
It's just the anxiety. You're not a fruitcake but simply your anxiety has latched on to health issues. Try the health anxiety part of the site for specific help.

carolynw
01-05-06, 01:03
Hi bogie2

Just read your post, your not a fruitcake, it just the anxiety.

Some of what you wrote describes me to a T. I just keep telling myself its only irrational fear and nothing more but its still really hard to stop the thoughts. I'm going to see some one who deals with anxiety management to start CBT soon so am hoping that will help.

I also find this site is a god send! everyone is so nice, try the chat room, people are always willing to help

Hope you feel better soon

shiv
01-05-06, 02:07
Hi there.

You are NOT a fruitcake; I promise. But you ARE in the right place, I promise

Shiv x

tnt808
01-05-06, 06:15
Hi Bogie,

Welcome to the site..I am sure you will feel at home here. I hope that this site will continue to bring you some relief and let you know that you are not alone.

Your thoughts are not "insane" ones. It is your anxiety, it is such a difficult illness and once the thoughts start it seems almost impossible to stop them, and even knowing how ridiculous they may seem even to you...it is still so hard to make them go away.

Good Luck

Tina

giddy
01-05-06, 08:22
Hi Bogie - welcome to the site. You are not a fruitcake!! Have a good look round the site and forums and you'll find lots of help and reassurance. I'm a teacher too and know just how hectic and busy life can be!!
Love Helen

trac67
01-05-06, 10:56
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

jackie
01-05-06, 17:03
your story is similar to many of ours and i really hope this site helps

were all here if you need us

jackie

wendy
01-05-06, 19:07
Hi

As the others have said you are not a fruitcake and are definatley not alone

Take Care

Wendy x

latic
01-05-06, 21:11
Dont let yourself feel embarrased about how your anxiety makes you feel. We all get strange un wanted thoughts its part of the illness. I can relate to so much of what you have said. You are not alone.

Take Care xx

bogie2
01-05-06, 21:35
Hi everyone :D

Thanks everso much for all your nice comments and encouragement. It's such a relief to hear that my weird thoughts are all tied in with anxiety.
I've been reading some of the stuff on the site about various symptoms such as tingling, pins and needles, muscle pains etc. I have all of these.
Makes you realize what an incredibly powerful thing anxiety is!
Just wish there was an easy cure! :(

McSparky
01-05-06, 21:55
Hi

Bogie2 it's like looking in a mirror. I feel the same. Had GAD for about 20 years now. Been through CBT but having a bit of a bad one right now. Please tell us what's good, what makes you happy or feel good, not just what makes you feel down. It's good too know we are not the only ones that feel this way.

This is what I belive, this is a part of me. No hero, no regrets. What I'm only meant to be. ( Bridge of spies, T'Pau ).

Alexandra
02-05-06, 10:54
Hi Hun

Welcome to the forum.

Again as the others say you are not a fruit cake, you have just gone through alot.

You will find lots of help & support on here.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Phill2
05-05-06, 04:41
Hi michelle
I chose our present house because its only 5 mins from the hospital. That was about 3 yrs ago. Now I'm thinking about moving out of town further from the hospital (there is an ambulance station though).
I can relate to most of what you feel but believe me it does get better.
If you're a fruitcake then I must be too
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

Daisybun
05-05-06, 11:13
Hi bogie2
Welcome. It takes a lot of courage to talk about our anxieties and worries doesn't it, so well done you. You are NOT a fruitcake, you just have health anxiety and it can be treated. Have you spoken to your GP. I have been referred for CBT to help with my GAD and health anxiety - brought on by stress at work - I teach too!! I'm currently off again due to continued stress but hopefully with cbt and the support that's available i will be back soon. You can be OK again, please look at the info on this site and there are some other useful sites that can provide useful info too. The more you understand about why something is happening the more power you have to control it and not it control you. Take care:)

joolsukuk
05-05-06, 13:17
hi
your as normal as the rest of us on here lol we can all identify with you! i believe this is a life saver of a site feel free to contact me whenever.knowledge really helps.xx

nomorepanic
06-05-06, 18:12
Hi Bogie

Welcome aboard - your intro post didn't offend me atall, we all have weird thoughts.

Lovely to have you on board and hope we can help.

Nicola

Coyote
08-05-06, 02:44
Hey,

Na, you're not a fruitcake. Besides, fruitcake is good, especially with a nice cup o tea :). Your thoughts are born through your own self doubt and feelings like being a social outcast, caused by your anxieties and worries. Please don't feel like you're a fruitcake, you have problems, common ones at that (just look at how many people participate/read these forums, ranging through all sorts of issues!).

I think I've said this before, but you'll be the biggest judge of yourself, ever. Whatever anyone thinks of you, there is no opinion of you, than your own. Don't find ways to convince yourself you are wicked and sinister, embrace the good within you and let it guide your thoughts about who you 'really' are.

Anxieties and related issues don't make you a bad person, they are symptoms that burden you, but they do not make you who you are.

Stand tall, know what is good and true about yourself, and let no one convince you otherwise. Especially that little bugger called self-doubt that sits on your shoulder.

Southern_Belle
10-05-06, 03:28
Hi,

Welcome. I could not have said it better myself Spirit! You will find many friends here.

Bel