PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice!

Ciaran
17-07-11, 16:23
Im supposed to be going ireland in a weeks time with family, the trouble is ever since i've developed anxiety i've had problems with staying in one place for too long, such as on a bus or in a restaurant. I have to get up and get some fresh air if I dont then it more than likely brings on a panic attack. The problem with this is I have to be on a train for more than 2 hours and then I have to be on a ferry for 3 hours :/ tips on how to cope with this please cause i am so scared that I'm gunna feel suffocated and trapped on the train.

Another thing is, is it okay to drink small amounts of alcohol? I was never a big drinker anyway but some friends have invited me to the pub tomorrow and I was wondering if its safe for me to have a few drinks?
Thanks guys! xx

Anna C
17-07-11, 16:47
Hi,

I think if it was me I would try distraction, listening to favourite music, or a relaxation or hypnotherapy track on my ipod, also reading and taking some deep relaxing breaths.

Also positive self talk could help, I know it all takes practice though and I also struggle. I think alcohol effects people differently some people think it makes them less anxious, I think alcohol relaxes me as I am anxious around people and I'm normally okay as long as I only have a few drinks. For some people though alcohol makes their anxiety worse.

Good luck with your journey.

Anna

Tyke
18-07-11, 01:32
Hello Ciaran

You say that you can't spend long in places like buses or restaurants, but at least with a train or a ferry you can move about more and and take a bit of a walk, even if it is just down to the toilet. I would follow some of Annas advice above too. Personally I like a drink or two to cope with really stressful situation unless it might refelct badly on me (e.g. a job interview or seeing someone where a clear head is absolutely necessary). If you are not a regular drinker, you shouldn't need much to get an effect from it. Don't overdo it, two or three pints should be enough to relax a bit. If you aren't keen on drink try the other methods. I have always liked relaxation tapes or CDs, maybe you could have something like that with you.

Another thing to focus on is the holiday. The whole point of putting yourself through this is to have a great time, so think about the great time you will have in Ireland when you get there. I've never gone there myself, but those I know who have been have absolutely loved it. Beautiful countryside, friendly people and a great opportunity to get away from it all. Would some Irish music help to put you in a positive mood on the journey? :whistles:

Tyke