PDA

View Full Version : Positive Experiences with Effexor

rubytuesday
17-07-11, 21:27
Hi there,

I know there is a lot of negative stuff on this thread about Effexor but I wondered if anyone has had positive experiences with it. I took it for quite a few years with no side-effect issues apart from increased sweating, I wanted to come off it eventually as was feeling a lot better so switched to Prozac to help me withdraw.

I ended up sticking with prozac as got very down when I tried to withdraw. Anyway fastforward a while and I got very bad with anxiety and depression, had been taking a low dose of citalopram which was doing sod all, doc put me on mirtazapine which gave me terrible anxiety, then sertraline instead which gave me insomnia.

I've been cold turkey for 3 weeks but feeling very low and anxious, loads of negative thoughts and just feeling crap so thought I would try going back on Effexor. However I am freaking that I'll get side-effects, which is daft as I didn't the last time. I guess I'd just like some encouragement from anyone who's doing well on it. I appreciate it's not good for everyone so please don't comment if you've had a bad time as I'm freaked enough already!!

Thanks, Amy

josbd
31-10-11, 18:23
I started on Effexor in 1996, having had some terrible side effects on Seroxat. Apparently I have very low natural levels of seratonin. When they started to really kick in at 3 weeks, I was on an all time high. I was floating on air, whizzing around, doing housework, anything to keep going. My confidence, for the first time in my life, sky rocketed. Obviously after a while, things levelled out.

I am still on effexor, and will be on it or something like it for the rest of my life. I take a dose of 225mg every day (these are extended release). I have no intention of coming off them: they make me happy, confident, and (really) a much better person. I haven't had a single panic attack since I started on them, and I used to suffer debilitating attacks. At least 2 or 3 every week. I found it so difficult to go out, to mix with people. The other thing is that it seems to have opened my mind up again, the way it was at school, where learning was exciting.

I know this is a series of what many will see as over the top praise, but what I have said is the truth.

For me, at least, effexor works like a dream. I hope, Rubytuesday, that you give it a chance to work, to settle, and that it works as well for you as it does for me.

Jo

patricias
09-12-11, 18:43
hi, thats a nice thread to read, i hope that i will be able to say the same things soon when i am over the initial side effects. i have only been on them for 2/3 weeks, but was on citalopram for 10 years before that, and they had stopped working well on me.
thanks for your encouraging thread.

Catya
31-12-11, 16:18
Oh yes. Please write some more encouragement like this.

petram
31-12-11, 22:01
hi im on day 2 of 37.5mg , 1st day i had a few palps and direaha anf felt bit drunk for a short while and i suffered in insomnia too but i didnt take the tab till 1pm .
but must say felt a bit brighter in meself.
day 2
felt bit miserable 1st thing took pill at 7.15 was okay for a bit felt anxious and full of thoughts then was ok ish for a hour or so then felt shitty again throughout most of the day
and eve , but dunno really if its just how im feeling or a bit of extra anxiety from the tabs.
will keep u informed if u like??
not a great day today to be fair . . have u started taking yours yet??