PDA

View Full Version : Hi, is it socially acceptable to welcome oneself?

RichUK
18-07-11, 10:10
Introduce myself? Sure.

Hello, my name is Richard (or Rich for short (surprisingly)) , nice to meet you.

The above demonstrates the limits of my social skills so how to introduce myself further (correctly) I do not know :P

I guess I can start by detailing my situation. I'm 19 year old male, agoraphobic and reclusive. I've spent the last 2 years and 6 months house bound (other than walking the family dog at erm...unique hours of the day). I have allowed agoraphobia, anxiety, social isolation (etc etc) to dominate the last few years of my life which resulted in me leaving college (not Uni) after my first year, and I have been stuck in a rut ever since.

I can attribute my condition to incidents/issues in my life, one of these being a physical 'abnormality'. I look very young for my age which made me feel very emasculated and lonely during my latter educational years. I do realise this is quite superficial, and I know it's also quite likely that I would suffer as I currently do without this 'problem'. Why mention this specific cause given that there are so many others? This problem I can do nothing about, I will likely always be plagued by it, and if I am confident that it is one of the causes of my agoraphobia, then I have to resign myself to always suffering (or being susceptible to) agoraphobia. It is the most harrowing and unnerving cause for my condition for this reason (despite being the most trivial).

I have realistic ambitions with regards to joining this forum. I simply wish to make some understanding friends, and help whoever I can in whatever way I can.

Best of luck to you all.

I hope you're all well (oh the irony).

Turrah for now

nomorepanic
18-07-11, 10:13
Hi RichUK

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

RichUK
18-07-11, 10:16
P.S Thank you to all the persons (or robots?) who maintain this wonderful website.

Oh and thanks for the generic reply/post above ;) (I'm kidding, all responses welcome (even automated).

Niknok
18-07-11, 10:36
Hi Rich

I think it's helpful to learn that other people just feel the same way when you feel so alone with your own emotions isn't it, hope you find it helpful, i'm a newby too!

Nik :)

paula lynne
18-07-11, 10:40
Hi Rich from a fellow agoraphobic sufferer (several on this forum!)
Im 40 and have suffered for 11 years. What I can tell you is this, without meds or therapy, this forum has been a massive support to me and Im doing things now I could have only dreamt of a year ago. Just goes to show how powerful the mind is....

Im Welsh. This could be considered an abnormality, depends who you talk too (:D)
Is is your "abnormality" thats the main concern, or your social/agoraphobic issues?
Youll find lots of support here either way, and Im pleased you found us! We are a mixed bag, but thats what makes it interesting! Welcome along! :welcome:

RichUK
18-07-11, 12:48
Im Welsh. This could be considered an abnormality, depends who you talk too (:D)
Is is your "abnormality" thats the main concern, or your social/agoraphobic issues?

Thank you both for your kind responses.

You're Welsh?!?! You have my sympathies ;)

My abnormality (looking young/baby faced/etc) isn't so much a medical concern, (I believe) it just exacerbates the underlying social/agoraphobic issues I have (which date back to the start of secondary school after my mother passed). If I could somehow deal with the physical issue (which I can't) I feel/I hope I would gain a little confidence...enough for me to start visiting a health worker (to deal with the main problem) and who knows, perhaps even socializing.

Mixed bag = Well that's good, i'm going to treat this site like a bag of Revels and avoid the coffees (whoever you/they are ;) )

Once again, thanks for responding.

M155anthr0p3
18-07-11, 13:15
Hi Rich,

Welcome to the site.

Revels eh....I would be the nut one.

RichUK
18-07-11, 13:23
Hi Rich,

Welcome to the site.

Revels eh....I would be the nut one.

"the nut one" :P I wouldn't pass quality control so I wouldn't even make the bag. Also, i'm allergic to nuts (i'm not) so you keep your distance ;)

If your username is 'self-descriptive' I can relate :P

M155anthr0p3
18-07-11, 14:12
Ha ha ha.....I needed a good laugh today.