PDA

View Full Version : back to work tommorrow, now panicking

scoob
18-07-11, 12:40
Hi,

I'm due back to work tommorrow after 8 weeks off. I am sooooo anxious today, must have smoked ten ciggies this morning and can't sit still or concentrate. Has anyone got any coping strategies or advice. I'm seriuosly considering going to the docs but know I have to face what feels like a complete nightmare some time. I have a holiday booked from saturdsay which I am looking forward to but know there will be work place rumours and in a lot of ways do not want to face my colleagues with them knowing I have been off with a mental illness.

Any help would be really welcome.

Scoob

:scared15:

blueangel
18-07-11, 13:07
Hi Scoob

Right, for a start your colleagues will only know that you've been off with anxiety/stress etc. if you've told them. Otherwise this information is confidential between you and your boss.

If you've only got to do 4 days before you go off on holiday, then take each day at a time. If people ask how you're feeling now, just keep it to "not too bad, thanks" and don't go into any conversations about it unless it's someone that you're happy to tell about it.

If you get any hassle from people who know stuff about your condition that they shouldn't, then you need to go straight to your manager and let them know, as it means that your confidentiality has been breached.

Also, don't forget that going back will be nowhere near as bad as you think it's going to be.

Good luck!

Hope38
18-07-11, 13:13
Just saw your post after writing mine. Glad to know i'm not the only one. I've been open with everyone now i'm wondering if that was a mistake. I don't really care that much what other people think but i'm a nurse and worried about being in charge. Good luck tomorrow. I shall think of you. I just keep telling myself that it has to be done as the longer I put it off the worse it is going to be x x

snowgoose
18-07-11, 13:34
hi Scoob and Hope :)

am writing this for both of you :hugs:.........cos it is same issue .

so so understand this fear and horrible anxiety you feel about going back to work . it is imprinted on my brain the before feelings ..........and the lovely wow I did it !! feelings after first day back . so many emotions in one day.
You WILL do it honestly you will be fine after about an hour back .
work colleagues will welcome you .some more than others but kind people are more numerous than we think .............and there will be those who look out for you [in my experience sometimes the ones you would not have thought of ]

tonight may be restless sleep wise of course it will..............if so get up and have cup of tea do your breathing and tell yourself this time tomorrow I will have done it :yesyes:

break the day down to baby chunk size pieces to do .....the waking up and getting ready .the journey ........the meeting of people in the work place etc.

focus only on each bit at a time and pat yourself on back for every stage xx

eat something before you go no matter how churney .I found yoghurts slipped down easy ...........and if you can a banana .
go outside if it isnt tipping it down :mad:..............breathe the fresh air ......it really does energise you and is calming .

and remember always .............you are not cornered into a rat trap ..........hey if it gets too much then you tell your boss and come home .
you wont do it ...but no one is going to cut your hands off if it gets too much.
your health is what matters ..........and this is your choice and in your control

it truly wont be as bad as you think .....if a bit rusty or overwhelmed .....say so .

looking forward to hearing how it went tomorrow .......and good luck .and well done for making the decision to go back [it aint easy I know ]

:hugs: .

scoob
18-07-11, 19:55
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I resisted going to the docs and getting another sick note. But now just a wreck with worry. I know I need to work but my boss has been less than sympathetic and i have no idea what I'm going to face when i return. I know it may be paranoia but I am really conscious that i was cocking up before I left and am now worrying i'm going to face the consequences now.

Thank you all again, I think it will be a nervous night but hopefully my worries will be unfounded.

S

cb77
18-07-11, 20:02
good luck for tomorrow its never easy going back to work even after just a couple of days off let alone 8 weeks but u dont know if u dont try and remember u can always come home if it gets too much and dont care what other people think if they dont understand thats their problem int it, let us know how it goes x

fordbird
20-07-11, 12:53
i hav similar been off 5wks now and feel so bad for bein off like i shudnt b off even tho i really need to be, u see my job involves me leaving 1.5hrs-2hrs before i start to get transport and then walk ages or cycle come rain or shine or spend quarter of monthy wage on the bus.
i stress out at the littlest thing and am so irritable made worse by my ocd.

i was supposed to go back today but i just cant cope and im petrified wat people will think of me and wat my boss will be like tho sayin that who i thought wer my `friends` havnt botherd contacting me to c how i am so i dont kno y i bother worryin.

its hard to make the decision made worse that my mum pressures me to go back and money worries and im being asked by work if il def b in nxt wk-and to call day before yet havnt been askd this til now.

all these worries but i guess at end of the day u go bk wen ur ready and not before

scoob
20-07-11, 20:33
Hi guys,

Managed two days now. Nearly walked off the plot today as just felt overwhelmed. My guv told me I have to have a meeting with HR to disuss my options, but they won't see me until the first week in August. Not really feeling up to much and avoiding the more tricky people situations, which is a bit tricky where my job is managing tenancies
Some people have been friendly and appeared genuinely pleased to see me. some have just been frosty and had a couple of digs about covering my work and how i didn't make good enough notes. Still finding it a big mission and not manged to cut my smoking down as I have to keep leaving the building just to chill for a bit.
Absolutely knackered feels like I'm dong 12 hour shifts not 6. Please tell me it getes easier.

Thanks for all the aadvice.

S :winks:

Mirabelle
20-07-11, 21:23
Hi Scoob
It will get easier. You have done really well this week and each day you go to work is a victory. I have 2 goals each day: to go to work and to stay at work.
Each time you have a panic at work is a good chance to practice you techniques for coping.
Hope all continues to go well.
X

scoob
20-07-11, 23:55
Thanx Mrabelle.

2 more days to go and then I'm on holiday for a week. I've been accepted for CBT on the phone from August and then face to face from September. I think day to day management is all I can ask for now. I think i may haveeven enjoyed some of today I just have to honour those moments and make them last longer each day. easier said than done as I found today horrible but I got thru it.

To quote a cliche, Yesterdays history, tomorrow's a mystery, todays a gift , that's why it's called present.

Think my tiredness may have just kicked in with that one so off to bed to prepare to fight the panic tomorrow.

Thank you all for the support.

S :noangel:

Mirabelle
22-07-11, 07:07
Managed to go to work yesterday. Got there for 9 and stayed til 5 for the first time in months. Had a few scary moments and was a bit jangly for most of the time. But I did it and survived.

scoob
22-07-11, 22:19
That's great news Mirabelle. I managed 4 6 hour shifts this week. Really shakey today but managed it and felt quite proud. I know it's a long road but a few baby steps is a start we all have tp make. Good luck.

S