PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks at night

noonoo
18-07-11, 22:11
The past 3 nights i've woken up from my sleep in a bad panic at about 2-3am (same time mostly).

I've suffered with anxiety for 3 years now but this is the worst it's been in a long time.

I'm on Beta blockers for them. Last night I just felt like I was going mad and put my bin by the side of my bed as I felt so sick.

Just wish I knew what is causing them again as it's really upsetting me I've worked so hard to keep them at bay :shrug:

Anyone else experienced the same thing? xxx

terror-x
18-07-11, 22:33
do you drink lots of tea or coffee i found out that filling myself with caffeine was causeing myn at one point so i stopped it went to decafe

noonoo
18-07-11, 22:35
I only have decaf tea or coffee since I first started having attacks as the doctor told me to cut down on ceffeine.

Lauren94
18-07-11, 22:43
i've only ever once had a panic attack in the night, i woke up, suddenly coudn't breathe and had to run to get water and wait for my heart palpatations to stop - it was a scary experience and then i didn't feel comfortable going back to sleep afterwards :( i always find a balanced diet + exercise makes me feel better about myself and also makes me feel more relaxed at night, and i havn't had one for a long time. good luck x

StephieLane2105
19-07-11, 09:18
HI There,

I suffer with Night attacks more than during the day. I had one quite recently, and although I don't feel sick I know how scary it is.

I think the main problem in bed is that there is nothing to take your mind off it, you end up having to ride it out, I have to get up usually and wait until I calm down. It's horrible I know..
I don't think there is a way of stopping them altogether but you can calm down quicker, or not let them get as bad.
Things I've found which help are,
1. Have a relaxing, hot bath about an hour before you go to bed. (when your body starts to cool down after an hour that's when your body will get sleepy.
2. Have a "Pukka Nighttime Tea" These are £1.99 for 20 bags, and have valerian root in them....natural relaxant.
3. Watch something in bed you don't have to think about, nothing stressful just something you can let pass over you. I have found "David Attenboiroughs Blue Planet" works quite well.

I know you woke up, so you had already got to sleep just like me but when you do these things it calms you more before you drift off. If you're anything like me having a couple of the night attacks makes me worried about going to bed again.....my partner said, don't worry just think...mmmm bed, I'm going to relax and get some sleep!! Seems to worrk

Oh and one other thing, unless it's a really muggy night, try taking a hot water bottle with you, put it on your chest, it relaxs your heart and all the muscles, takes any focus away from palpitations etc.

I hope at least some of this helps.

Stephie xx