PDA

View Full Version : Therapist Advice

phillipa
19-07-11, 14:14
I have been seeing my therapist for anxiety/stress for the past 3 weeks, and I have voiced my concerns about the kind of medication that the doctors have suggested for me. I am currently supposed to be taking Diazepam as and when i feel anxious but no more than twice a day. Afraid to say this isn't having any effect on me at all, but the doctors keep telling me another alternative will be to go back on to citrolopram, which i didn't like as made me feel numb (in the brain not as in physically), and this actually doesn;t help my anxiety thinking they are going to put me on that! So my therapist has suggested 5HTP which my pharmicist (boots) and my doctor has never heard of! Can anyone tell me if this worked for them? Was there any side effects? Or I would be equally pleased to hear if anyone has any other advice on alternative medication?
Thanks x :huh:

jenkins
19-07-11, 14:25
i am new and need to post about my feelings to receive answers from anyone , pls could you help :)

Geoff2301
19-07-11, 14:58
I have been seeing my therapist for anxiety/stress for the past 3 weeks, and I have voiced my concerns about the kind of medication that the doctors have suggested for me. I am currently supposed to be taking Diazepam as and when i feel anxious but no more than twice a day. Afraid to say this isn't having any effect on me at all, but the doctors keep telling me another alternative will be to go back on to citrolopram, which i didn't like as made me feel numb (in the brain not as in physically), and this actually doesn;t help my anxiety thinking they are going to put me on that! So my therapist has suggested 5HTP which my pharmicist (boots) and my doctor has never heard of! Can anyone tell me if this worked for them? Was there any side effects? Or I would be equally pleased to hear if anyone has any other advice on alternative medication?
Thanks x :huh:
Just type 5HTP into Google and you get loads of info on it.......... sounds like it might be a bit of a "cranky" type thing if you know what I mean!!

kibbutz83
19-07-11, 18:11
Hiya, have you tried a multi vit with at least 50mgs of B complex? Plus magnesium/calcium? When you suffer with anxiety, the body is depleted of the B vitamins, so it's really important to replace them daily... I've found that most gp's don't agree with "alternative" ways to treat anxiety :( They prefer to give us ad's... good luck x

kibbutz83
19-07-11, 18:12
ps 5htp did nothing for me x

suzy-sue
19-07-11, 18:31
Theres a Natural Remedy Forum further down the page .Lots of different things on there .Look at the Inisitol Guide too .Sue

ljd
19-07-11, 19:33
Hi i take 5HTP it helps me sleep and works for me. It a herbal mix of vitamins b's and has serotone in it which is what the body should produce naturally, but doesn't always produce enough.