PDA

View Full Version : Why couldnt i breathe for a few seconds

Anxiousmess
20-07-11, 18:46
Im really scared, i was jus sitting here not really doing anything then all of a sudden i couldnt breathe, i went to breathe in and i couldnt, this happened for about 4-5 seconds.. im so scared why couldnt i breathe.. iv been anxious all day but that was really scarey now im crying and shaking wat happened to me

morganbird
20-07-11, 18:54
oh bless u I have had it to try not to worry its just ur anxiety.
If ur really worried and cant calm down call nhs direct they will help u and explain it to u.
Hope ur feeling better soon xxx

saffy f
20-07-11, 18:55
Hi Because you are panicking it's making things worse.I find that when I have high anxiety I seem to think about everything I do,breathing,swallowing everything seems to be really exaggerated and and you become aware of every ache and pain in your body when usually you wouldn't even think of it.
If you sit and try to swallow and then swallow again you will find it hard to each time as you're thinking about it.....I've tried this before and it proves a point...
Try and relax and you will be fine xx

nomorepanic
20-07-11, 18:56
Breathing is involuntary so even though it may have felt like you couldn't breathe you could

The body regulates breathing for you so it may have felt like you couldn't breathe but I bet you were really.

Anxiousmess
20-07-11, 21:44
It was like everything closed up for a few seconds, i tried to breathe in once and i couldnt, tried to breathe in a second time, it wouldnt let me then i paniced and coughed and tried to breathe in a 3rd time and i could, and that point i was litrally near enuf gasping, i really couldnt breathe in.. u dont think i need to call an ambulance??

Em.ma
20-07-11, 21:46
hi ive had this before.. dont let it worry you x

Anxiousmess
20-07-11, 21:53
but what if it happens again but this time i cant start breathing again.. and gasping and gasping for air, that would kill me :( im still shaking

Em.ma
20-07-11, 22:10
I was like that when it happened two just waiting for it to happen again and it just happened randomly weeks later when i was busy. I really wouldnt worry over it :)

haynsey
20-07-11, 22:59
I have had the same experiences myself, just sitting watching the TV and then i would loose my breath, i think mine are panic attacks....

duke246810
20-07-11, 23:05
This is something i really worry about aswell, but now i understand what it is. You can be completwly occupied and it will happen, for no reason it just does. I think its because your still anxious even though you don't realise it. Ive contemplated ringing an ambulance a few times, but it only lasts a few seconds and doesnt come back for like weeks :) Im sure you are absolutely fine, you just need to relax. Pm if you would like to talk about anything. Hope your ok x

Typer
21-07-11, 01:02
It is anxiety. Like Nic says....you will continue to breathe, it just feels as though you cant. Its a mind thing.

lindajane1971
22-07-11, 22:51
hi
this happened to my brother when he was 14 but it was the other way round.....he took a breath in and couldnt breathe out! he kept breathing in but couldnt breathe out, it lasted about 30 seconds i think.
he was taken to a and e and checked out and all his tests came back normal, it never happened again and he is 57 now
just thought that might reasure you a bit.
Linda x

HayleyLouise
13-02-21, 03:25
Is there anywhere i can contact you on? :(

Kuraimoar
13-02-21, 21:03
I have had this before for no apparent reason. It turned into a full blown panic attack and it took me a good 30 minutes to feel like I was breathing normally again. Just remember its just anxiety and can't hurt you. The best thing to do is recognize what it is and try not to react to it.

lovemydogs
16-02-21, 16:51
This sounds very much like what I was diagnosed with, laryngospasms. While they are terrifying my ENT told me they are not at all deadly. I'm on a laryngospasm support group on fb. I have them about four times a year. Causes include acid reflux, stress, etc.

I have never been so scared as I was that morning. I literally was sitting reading the Sunday paper and it happened. Once I found out what they were, I felt better, they are still awful, but knowing I won't keel over is comforting. :) An ears, nose and throat doctor can make the diagnosis pretty easily.