PDA

View Full Version : Anti Social behaviour worries

Roj_V
21-07-11, 11:12
I wanted to share my story...

I always liked the snow as a boy. It was magical. It was unlike any kind of other weather! Building snowmen, throwing snowballs and throwing yourself in fresh snow were just some of the best parts of it.

I like it when it snowed at school. Mainly because if any substantial amount fell, there was the possibility of the school closing, and you being able to go home to play out!

Secondary school was a bit different though. I don't ever recall us going home early because of the snow. I do remember however, spending a lot of break times in it. We used to have "fights" in it. I use quotes as it was just really a few us having a mess around in it.

One lunchtime, it had snowed and we were all out playing in it. I recall packing together a near perfect snow ball. My target was one of the lads i knocked about with. I aimed, and i knew i was no-where near straight away. Instead, it hit another lad from a lower class full in the face. It made him upset, and i remember him coming over and pushing me with a tear in his eye. I forget what happened next. I seem to recall him getting up crying and running off. We carried on messing around at this point, and were still trying to pelt each other with snowballs!

What happened next is one of the things that has scarred my life to this very day. My mate at the side of me noticed a gang of 25+ charging towards us. The lad that i had the altercation with was in the frontline. The gang leader looked much bigger than me, despite him being younger. I remember someone saying, "They're coming for you Vaughany!" There were several kids around at this point, and they all seemed to stop to see what was happening. I had a split second decision to make. Do i run, or do i stand up to them? My mate, sensing the danger, turned and ran. Should i follow him?

I didn't. After all, what did i have to be scared of? What were a few more lads than normal going to do to me? It was possibly one of the worst decisions i have ever made.

I can't remember much of what happened next, only that i was knocked to the floor in the mud and slush, and was having snow pelted at me, and that also a few kicks were hitting me hard. I curled up and covered my face. A further barrage of kicks to the head, the back, and my body. I could sense that i was the main point of everyones gaze at this stage. I was scared - what had i done to deserve this?!
After what seemed like an age, i picked myself up. A few of them yelled abuse, and i looked at all the people who were staring at me. I was a mess.
I was back on my feet and walking back towards the main school building with damaged clothes, covered in mud, and wet through. For the last part of the break i headed to the main reception part. I didn't go back to afternoon registration - instead i went to the matrons office where i sat for the rest of the afternoon. I was sat in like a robe as my clothes were drying out on a radiator.
I remember sitting there all afternoon by myself trying to comprehend what just happened. I can't remember if i cried, but i do remember that Ijust wanted to go home. I think i left before anyone else too as i was too embarassed to be seen by anyone that witnessed my ordeal.

I do remember that night i cried. I didn't want to go back the next day in case i saw the gang of lads that did that to me again. Ever since that incident, i have feared a group of lads coming towards me. It doesn't matter where - it brings back the painful memories of that day when it changed my life.

Not surprisingly, i left school after my GCSE’s. I took up working full time, met a girl (who is now my wife), and moved in with her in 2007. We found a nice quiet flat in a block of four with an elderly couple beneath, a young lady in the one next to her who was a nurse, and a nice friendly Indian couple next to us. Within a month of moving in, the couple next to us moved out. I didn’t think this was too big a deal.

Different people then started viewing the vacant flat next to us, and before long, a really scruffy young couple moved in (illegally, may i add, as it was signed up for in his Mothers name). Anyway, they banged about, and made a lot of noise, and i remember as time went on that i started getting more upset and annoyed at their noise and coming and going at all hours, and it made me feel really depressed. I remember strong feelings that i didn’t have anything to look forward to in life anymore.

I put up with it though, and tried to keep myself busy, until one Saturday night in late summer. We had been to the supermarket, and on our return saw they were dressed up heading out. We said hello. We weren’t really “mates”, but we tried to be friendly. I was sat up on my laptop until about 12:30am, when i heard some car doors bang. I looked out, and saw them getting out of a taxi, with some other people. Then another taxi pulled up, then another, and out piled a load of drunk teenagers. I went to bed then after i heard more noise. I don’t know how i slept.

I woke up early, and looked out. I could see our communal door had been damaged. The handle was lying on the floor. My shoes outside my door had gone. I didn’t know what to do. After a while, my partner got up, then i heard noises from next door. They must have been taking drugs as they were still “high” at this stage and bouncing off the wall. I wanted to confront them about where my shoes were, and the noise last night, but i remembered the last time i stood up to a group of youths. Instead, i locked my door. It was at this stage i suffered a panic attack. I had to get out, but i couldn’t. The communal door was damaged, and we had no other way out. Besides, i would have to open our front door which was directly opposite theirs. I phoned the police, but they didn’t seem keen to help. In the end, we did go out, and didn’t return home all day. My partner was more angry, but wasn’t frightened like i was. Upon our return home, i recall different neighbours getting together talking about the events of the previous night. Apparently others had witnessed them shouting racist language, urinating against the building, and molesting girls in the group. It was nice to know i wasn’t alone.

For the next three months, i struggled. I was forever listening to see if they were in, or if they went out i waited up to see what time they were coming back in, and checking they were alone. The young man did bring a bottle of wine (with his Mother) as an apology, which was a pleasant surprise, but i didn’t want him to know it was us that had complained.

They moved out in the December. The Saturday nights before that, we didn’t stay there. We either went to friends, or family, then dreaded returning home on the Sunday for fear of what we may find. It always seemed ok though.

We never settled though, and moved out ourselves in 2008. We moved to a semi detached house this time. I began to feel better. I still had the odd memory, and didn’t like bits, but i began to recover. I also turned to God, and became a Christian that year, which also helped.

In 2009, 3 youths moved in to a house 3 doors up, and all the bad thoughts and feelings hit me again. Saturday nights were hard oncemore, and oddly, Fridays were too now. We had no trouble from them, but they liked to drive their loud modified cars quickly around the street. I started to get nervous as soon as i heard a car with a modified exhaust. I sought a Christian counsellor at this stage, and although she was nice, i didn’t feel that we fully clicked and don’t know what values i got from her. One Saturday night, they must have had a fight between them, because one of the cars parked up nearby at 12:30am, the passenger got out and smashed all their windows, before returning to the car and speeding off. I know it hadn’t directly affected us, but i was shivering with panic.
The police were round the following day, and a few weeks later, they all moved out. I was anxious to know who would move in as i thought we may get a load more trouble. One guy seemed to move in by himself, but he soon went, and now a family are in there who seem nice and quiet. I hope they stay though, because if i see them go i will fear we will get someone else who is a threat moving in.

At present though, there are two Asian youths who live with their family, who keep racing around the street some nights (it’s like an oval the street we live on), and they are screeching their tyres and revving cars up at 1am. I have reported this to the police, but it is really making me depressed. It needn’t do, as i know they aren’t going to do anything to us, but I need some help.

This is my story – it’s been so tough the last few years. I am desperate to find a way out of it all, and find the old me.

Belleblue
21-07-11, 16:52
Hi Roj :)

I've just read your very moving story. I just want to say that I really feel for you. I am currently in a situation where I have night-mare anti-social neighbours - very long story! You're not along believe me. In and of itself anti-social behaviour is very stressful for those who are at the receiving end, but it also resurrects the feelings from events from childhood/adolescence when we were most vulnerable. I know for myself I feel extremely stressed and vulnerable when I feel I am being ganged up against. I find it very difficult to cope with at times. I am being pro-active and trying to get a move from here but it take time and we are anxious not to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Anyway keep posting and let us know how you are coping :)

Belle x

Skybird
21-07-11, 22:28
Dear Roj_V - that account is one of the most detailed, resonant and heartfelt posts I have ever read. Amazingly, it also made a lot of sense of my own situation - I had no idea that some of what I have been feeling was a result of what had happened to me growing up - but it makes perfect sense now. Thank you, and keep posting - if it helps you to write, it helps us to read.
Regards
Skybird

Roj_V
22-07-11, 11:10
Skybird / Belle - thank you for your kind comments. You know, all the time through this, i have felt so alone in all of it. I have felt that no-one else suffers from anything similar, and that other people (including friends and family unfortunately) do not understand what i am going through - which kind of makes it worse.

Belle - thanks for listening - do you mind me asking what kind of issues you are having with your neighbours?

For info, i have an induction with a CBT therapist next Tuesday, and i am also starting to read a book which comes highly recommended. The good thing is, i can see light at the end of this long tunnel, which i never have before. The thing is, i just don't quite know how to get to it at this stage...

Belleblue
22-07-11, 15:29
Hi Roj - I spent absolutely ages replying to you and lost the darn thing!!

So briefly I think issues like anti-social behaviour can be traumatizing depending on their severity. The when you have had previous experiences of being traumatized, particularly by people with a pack mentality - I think a certain amount of post-traumatic stress comes to bear on the current issues which resemble the former trauma. You become ever watchful and vigilant.

I've found my current issue with my neighbours very stressful to the point of becoming almost suisidal over it all. After seven years of noise and "low level" harassment the council are eventually taking her to court - but she won't be evicted as she has children. They will just put an injunction on her to make her stop making nuisance noise. But unfortunately the victim and perpetrator still have to live side by side and she has pulled the more unsavoury element around here into this... the pack. So every day I have to run a gauntlet of glares and sometimes abuse. When I've been out I hate returning home because I feel like I'm returning to a prison. I feel dread every day - looking out the window to see who's about before I venture out. Listening to hear if that's the noise starting up again etc. etc.

But as I said before we are being pro-active and trying to get a move. It just takes time.

Anyway stay strong Roj... we shall overcome one day.

Belle x

Roj_V
23-07-11, 11:31
Belle,

That really is awful - no-one should be made to feel the way you do.

Well, i had another episode last night. I had a lovely night with my wife, brother and Dad, having a couple of drinks then a nice curry - then we came home. All was quiet - i went to bed about 11pm. I wear ear plugs now - i need to in case of noise. They must have come out however, and at 02:15am, we had our lovely neighbour at the top doing handbrake turns and screeching his wheels again. I got up to look, then started shivering with fear. I had a panic attack. I had to try and leave, but i knew i couldn't. I was trapped. It was awful. I reported it to the police, and i am waiting for them to phone me back, but they never seem to do anything. It's awful - i feel so alone in all of this. I want to move. Even my wife doesn't seem to understand and even snapped at me this morning. I can't take much more of this...

I am trying to be positive, and do little bits to keep me busy. I have a book to read, but i am too low to even open it.

I am going to try and get out today, but i know that i have to return at some point...

Man, this is so hard...

Belleblue
23-07-11, 12:41
Hi Roj - sorry to hear of your experience in the early hours. First of all you did the right thing in letting the police know about this. That's good citizenship and more people should pick up the phone about these incidents - but unfortunately most are apathetic and as a nation we are not good complainers and fear being labelled a Mr. or Mrs. Meldrew.
Secondly I think our experiences differ in that I am directly affected by my neighbours because the anti-social stuff is aimed directly at me. It's personal. The interesting thing with your current issue is that it's not personal - these yobs don't mean you any personal harm. So what would be interesting to unpick with the help of a therapist/counsellor would be why you get such a strong reaction when this sort of thing occurs. Your wife is probably sympathetic deep down, but she cannot feel your feelings and from her point of view probably doesn't understand why you're feeling so threatened by people who mean you no personal harm. I don't want to come across all shrinky, but as I said in a previous post I think this has it's roots in your former experience when you were young. How did those around you support you when that happened? ie parents, teachers.

You mentioned previously that you will be having some CBT - I really think with the help of a good therapist you will overcome this.

Believe me I do understand how this can make you feel so unsafe, fearful and vulnerable. But try not to let it ruin your week-end, try to shelve it until you see your therapist on Tuesday.

All the best,
Belle x

JT69
23-07-11, 13:36
Hi Roj,

Very very moving detailed story...really feel for you...awful what you have had to encounter. You see these things on the tv and hear about it in the news etc but until you read something as you have written you dont really realise what effects it has on peoples lives. The law is far too soft these days and people should not be allowed to get away with the things they do.

:hugs: Jo.x

Roj_V
23-07-11, 23:00
Jo - thank you for reading, and thanks for your comments. I can't see a way through this now, but hopefully I'll get there. x

Belle - The police called back and said they can issue a section 59 warranty against him, if I go in and make a statement. This would mean me not being anonymous. I'm mulling it over. I am lying in bed now expecting to not sleep, and waking in the small hours to hear the "race track" outside. Hopefully I will get a good night sleep though.

Thanks for your comment earlier - you are right about the big difference. I don't think I would be able to live there if people were directly aiming their venom at me. You are a very brave honest person, and after talking through these posts, I can tell you have a special personality. I would love to live next door to you!!

Take care, and God bless.

Roj. x

Belleblue
25-07-11, 13:22
Hi Roj - thank you for your very kind comments :)

It's entirely up to you what you decide to do, but I would be very wary of making a statement against these people if I were you. If it was more serious and yours or someone elses personal safety was threatened well yes you may indeed need to give a statement. But you really don't want to bring trouble to your own doorstep unless you really have to.

Just a suggestion - how about ringing the police when it's going on? It's their job to then put a stop to it. Don't do their job for them... that's what they're paid for. Let them get the evidence required to do something about this anti-social activity. In other words hand it over, but in a pro-active way if you understand.

Good luck with the CBT tomorrow. Take care now and stay safe.

Belle x

Tyke
26-07-11, 02:08
Hi Roj

Really feel for you mate. It's a horrendous situation to be in. I've had various problems with neighbours along the way and like Belle above says, I would be wary about making a statement. Belles advice on tackling it sounds worth a try and keeps you out of it. The last time I challenged an unpleasant neighbour about something I had my fence vandalised in the dark. With unreasonable people like this it can so easily escalate into something far worse. I settled for the smashed fence and didn't take it any further. The police and their ASBOs, CRASBOs and all that crap are a complete waste of time in my opinion. These youths aren't targetting you personally, so I would not be inclined to name them officially.

Hopefully the CBT will help you cope with your feelings about all this.

Tyke

Roj_V
26-07-11, 11:07
Tyke,
Thanks for taking the time to write.
I think that is the best advice to be fair. We're fortunate that we're only renting where we are, so that if there ever was any damage, it's not our house, but having said that, it is our HOME.
I am going to enjoy chatting with the therapist tonight, but i feel as though i can see this light at the end of the tunnel. The only thing is, i aren't sure how to get to it at the moment, but i will some day.

For info, the last two nights have been quite peaceful, and i was sat with my wife watching some good telly last night, and it took my mind off it for a few hours! Having the earplugs is good at the mo - but i would like to not use them, but i can't bring myself to do that yet. :unsure:

Belleblue
28-07-11, 17:00
I have been feeling really anxious and fearful since yesterday evening. A couple of my neighbours kids banged on our door and ran away. Ok so a bit of knock down ginger never hurt anyone - but I get this every other day and worse and usually I don't answer the door as I know they just want a reaction. But last night I opened my door and called after them (they were scarpering as they always do) "Excuse me what did you do that for?" Anyway one of them came back and said that it wasn't her it was the other child who banged the door on purpose and I just said ok and went inside. My legs felt like jelly and I was just way too anxious to deal with it. It's the reason they are doing it that gets to me. We have become pariahs here because we dared to make official complaints about our next door neighbour having failed to reason with her. The children take their cue from the parents and think it is their right to mock, ridicule and annoy us. I find it very painful sometimes.

About a half an hour later I'm in my kitchen, the window is open and I overhear the father of one of these say to my next door neighbour from hell "She should get a life!" and they were laughing about the episode. This isn't the first time I've overheard him gossiping about us. I've lived a couple of doors along from this man and his family for many years and we have always got on and had no problems whatsoever until this woman moved in next door and pulled him (amongst others) into her circle of gossip and now I am having these issues with him and his kids. Part of me really wants to have a word with him and try to nip it all in the bud - but my hubby thinks differently. His attitude is to hell with him, he has taken sides and interfered in something that has nothing to do with him and in doing so has made it worse, so treat him with the contempt he deserves. This man has three children and we have had low-grade anti-social problems from all of them. The elder one isn't really a child come to think of it - she's 17.

This might seem trivial - but when you have to live with it day after day it really eats away at your soul.

Sorry to offload here. If anyone has any advice about how I might cope with this emotionally and/or practically I'd be grateful. I don't really want to fall out these people as I feel it just adds fuel to my next door neighbour from hell's fire. She's practically going around rubbing her hands in glee because we are having trouble with someone else. We are trying to move as I've said before, but it takes time and in the meantime unfortunately we have to live with it.

Belle x

Tyke
29-07-11, 00:32
Hi Belle - sorry to hear you have such unpleasant neighbours. I think the best thing is to ignore them as much as you can. They are obviously setting out to wind you up, so try not to let them. Banging on your door and saying unkind things about you is something you should try not to react to. They may well get bored with it if they feel they are not making things miserable for you.

Tyke

Anxious_gal
29-07-11, 01:09
I get nervous when I am home alone, mainly it's men that scare, drunken groups of noisy men!
I've gotten used to it, but I don't like when they are close to my house, I don't have a wall around it, just some grass and a path.
I try to remember that they are not going to try and break in!

I'm too scared to answer the door to men that I don't know when I am home alone.
Unless I know him or it's just the post man.
I really must install a chain thing!

I don't like how some times in the day time there can be a few drunken men around, I'll always keep my distance.

In terms of walking past groups of men, or pushing through them if it's busy in town, I just act confident, don't look them in the eye, maybe appearing aloof or like I didn't notice them,

Some times I put on the tough girl act, taking up the lingo and rough accent, that's often helped me as the lads are often a bit taken aback .
I picked this up after seeing how lower income, rougher type friends of mine act when groups of guys annoy them!

To the OP is sounds like you have PTSD, you were attacked therefor you brain decided that any time you see a group of males you are in danger.
I'm hope therapy is going ok for you.
I personally am scared of aggressive men, certain things can trigger of my anxiety, like drunken loud types of men.

I never walk anywhere after dark because I believe it's unsafe, and unlike the day time I get very nervous about meeting men in the dark.

Belleblue
29-07-11, 14:29
Hi Tyke - thank you for that response. In general I don't react to them but this is building up and I felt I had to say something - no matter how small. I have had no trouble since the other evening. So it could be that if they think they might have to account for their actions it might not be worth their while to annoy us. Time will tell. But you are right that I should try to not let them wind me up.

Another family in the area complained about ASB by children after 11pm and a letter was sent around by the council reminding people that they were responsible their children's and visitor's behaviour. Of course this was greeted by howls of derision by the pack and the shouting out of things like "Our kids have rights!!". It's quite depressing that this is what we've come to in some of areas of Britain today - Love Thy Neighbour doesn't come into it - it's more like don't even consider thy neighbour!!

On a positive note - I am keeping my spirits up and looking forward to the day we move :)

Roj - you've been very silent - do please let us know how you are getting on and how the therapy session went.

Belle x

Roj_V
02-08-11, 10:22
Hi Guys,

Sorry it's been a while. I have been trying to keep myself busy, and have got out and about in this lovely sunshine - it has helped.

Me and a neighbour who i am really close to were chatting about this annoyance on the street, and he spoke to our local police team about him too. Last weekend, the officer came and introduced himself to both of us and advised us he had spoken further to the youth about his driving and said they were watching him. It felt good - and i was glad something was being done.

The therapy induction last week went very well. I have my second session tonight where she is going through some "tools" i can use. She says it's all my past that is causing these modern day problems, and is keen for me to get to the root of it. I am looking forward to work with her.

Belle - i am so sorry to hear of your problems. Like me, could you try and get in touch with your local PCSO? It's good for the community. How is it looking for you leaving?

Belleblue
02-08-11, 11:28
So pleased to hear that something is being done about this ASB Roj, however small it can make a big difference. And good to know that you have some support in a like-minded neighbour. Great news that the therapy induction went so well also :yesyes:

The main issue with next door neighbour is in the hands of the local council but if the problems increase with them or others I will have to hand it over the police.
We are still being pro-active regarding move. I will post here when that happens :)

Take care now and have a good day.

Belle x

Roj_V
04-08-11, 15:38
Been feeling quite upbeat the last day or two - i think it's because i am making a stand now and wanting to be better.

My therapist asked me to keep a "thought diary". I decided to do it in the format of a blog, and have put it online here (http://rogersthoughtdiary.blogspot.com/):

Hope you're ok Belle.
x

Tyke
05-08-11, 01:06
I get nervous when I am home alone, mainly it's men that scare, drunken groups of noisy men!
I've gotten used to it, but I don't like when they are close to my house, I don't have a wall around it, just some grass and a path.
I try to remember that they are not going to try and break in!

I'm too scared to answer the door to men that I don't know when I am home alone.
Unless I know him or it's just the post man.
I really must install a chain thing!

I don't like how some times in the day time there can be a few drunken men around, I'll always keep my distance.

In terms of walking past groups of men, or pushing through them if it's busy in town, I just act confident, don't look them in the eye, maybe appearing aloof or like I didn't notice them,

Some times I put on the tough girl act, taking up the lingo and rough accent, that's often helped me as the lads are often a bit taken aback .
I picked this up after seeing how lower income, rougher type friends of mine act when groups of guys annoy them!

To the OP is sounds like you have PTSD, you were attacked therefor you brain decided that any time you see a group of males you are in danger.
I'm hope therapy is going ok for you.
I personally am scared of aggressive men, certain things can trigger of my anxiety, like drunken loud types of men.

I never walk anywhere after dark because I believe it's unsafe, and unlike the day time I get very nervous about meeting men in the dark.
I know just what you mean Mishel. Even though I am a mature man myself, I don't particularly like large groups of men, especially when young and drunk. They are so unpredictable and you just know trouble is never that far away. They are often so competitive and are always trying to show off to each other by being as obnoxious as possible. I've never felt comfortable in large groups. Being with one or two genuine friends seems far more civilised.

Belleblue
05-08-11, 14:45
Hi Mishel - I think your fears are well founded. You are quite right in adopting a certain type of attitude in some of these situations - so good on you for doing the tough girl act in order to protect yourself. Sometimes we need to borrow the chameleon cloak.

Excuse my rudeness in not referring to your very good post sooner - I mean't to but forgot :blush:

Belle x

Roj_V
22-10-12, 16:13
Sorry to dig an old thread of mine up, but I wanted to add to it.

After my initial story, we moved away from the area last year where he had trouble. We moved into a furnished house into a better area. We have, in fairness, had a lovely relaxing 12 months. However, we never really settled in the house. Conscious that we were simply "house-sitting" for the landlady, we were wanting to move. On the 1st October we got keys to our new property. Since getting keys, we have had problem after problem. We only just got water, gas and electricity on, and moved in (finally) this Saturday. There are still bits at the old place, and Saturday evening I went back to get some more items. At the end of our street, I noticed a gang of girls and boys, dressed up looking like they were about to have a party. I drove back to the old place nearly in tears. I was saying to myself "this is the last thing I need", and "why tonight - our first night there". When I got back shortly after, I heard they had music on and were in the house. I could not settle all evening. I didn't eat any of the lovely tea I had prepared earlier. I opted for a few drinks, and then a few more to numb it. Not ideal - I know, but it help me relax, and indeed sleep.

As I woke up in the morning, I felt physically sick. I wasn't actually sick, but thought I was going to be. It was all quiet then, but knowing someone had been making noise on our first night was hard to deal with.

I'm at work now, and am dreading returning home to my new house already. We're not fully in yet, but I feel like I have made a mistake moving here.

I just wanted to share my story. Thanks.

Tyke
22-10-12, 17:15
It might not be as bad as you think Roj. Because of your experiences before, you are expecting the worst, but it is early days yet. You have had a few problems getting the place sorted out and are feeling vulnerable. This may have just been a one-off party and you may find the area isn't that bad once you've settled in. Give it a bit more time.

I moved house once after neighbour problems and on the first day at the new house the new neighbour (a lad on his own and his riotous mates) put the music on full blast for a while and I could hear them all laughing hysterically. The walls were vibrating but I daren't say anything, just felt damn miserable and wondered what the hell I'd moved into. It never happened at that level again, I just think they did it for 'a laugh' and actually weren't THAT bad. Eventually he got a steady girlfriend whom he moved in and became a lot more civilized!

Tyke :)

Roj_V
22-10-12, 17:17
Thanks for that Tyke - those words mean a lot.

I think once we're settled in more i'll feel better. Just darn difficult at the moment, but am hoping i'll get better. :)