PDA

View Full Version : Words of advice needed

Charlottie
21-07-11, 23:46
To cut a long story short way back in 2008 as an 18 year old fresh from college I was deciding what course I wanted to study at university. I really wanted to study midwifery...until I read the course requirements. A HIV/Hep B/Hep C blood test is needed...oh god NONONO! So cut to now, I did a years worth of a nursin degree and I just completed a years worth of Pharmacy degree...

But in my heart I am always drawn to midwifery and I am seriously considering it at the moment. Any advice on how to get over my fear of this blood test? I think I'm very low-risk - only ever had one sexual partner, never used IV drugs, vaccinated against hep B - but it still terrifies me. I hate all medical tests, I always assume the worst. :(:(:( I also need to get a mole checked but I'm too scared.

debs71
22-07-11, 00:13
Hi Charlottie,

I'm a wee bit confused. Did you not have any blood tests pre-nursing degree? Or is it just those particular tests that you are scared of?

My advice would be to just mentally tell yourself this is a standard test, just like ones pre- nursing course, and that everyone has them and the chances that anything is wrong are slim to none.

I was in the exact position you are many years ago. I went back to work as a bank nurse after 14months of sickness and had to have a hep b and c test and was offered a HIV test as well (it wasn't compulsory). I had also only had one sexual partner, never used drugs, been vaccinated against hep b too and like you, was nervous just the same, but I asked myself 'would you not rather KNOW if you had contracted something than NOT know?' and the answer has got to be that I would rather know and have it treated than be in the dark.

The chances that anything is wrong are always there but they are VERY slim hun. Just tell yourself they are par for the course and thousands of other midwifery students have had them without incident.

All the best.x:)

Charlottie
22-07-11, 00:23
Nope for nursing you just have a questionnaire, a set of hep B vaccs and a blood titre done for your hep B antibody levels, thats it! That was scary enough as it is :(:(:( I was convinced they were going to find HIV in my blood even though they weren't even testing for it!

Elsa_Alkaseltzer
22-07-11, 02:58
I know it sucks having tests done and waiting for results. But don't let a short wait affect your whole future. Pursue the job you love!! Your results will be fine!

anthrokid
22-07-11, 03:47
Hey Charlottie,

The best advice I can give you is to fight your fears and get the test done. If all that is standing between you and your dream to be a midwife then ask yourself, 'What is the worst that can happen?' Obviously, the worst that can happen will be that they will find HIV and you will know, and you will be able to receive treatment which will be much better for you in the long run rather than never knowing until it is too late!

And REMEMBER, you are EXTREMELY LOW RISK so the chances of you even having HIV are slim to none. When I was 18 I got a tattoo done in a shack in Cambodia. I was petrified of having a HIV test a year later (before I was allowed to volunteer overseas again) because I knew I was at risk for HIV after getting such a risky tattoo, and I didn't want to find out that I had it. However, working in rural communities overseas is my passion, and I couldn't imagine giving up on it for fear of a simple test! So I braved the fear and had the HIV text. When the tests did come back all was clear.

Get the test done, and pursue your dreams! You'll never forgive yourself if you miss out on midwifery because you were too afraid of a test.

Charlottie
22-07-11, 10:35
Thanks everybody, I'm beginning the processes to try and get on the course. Its going to be even harder for me anyway cause it will be my third degree started and the applications have actually closed for my uni but hey ho, no harm in trying! Also my family will probably kill me.

sarah_85
22-07-11, 15:59
hi hun, im a student midwife, about to qualify! i had to have the hep b vaccinations and i can tell you, it is worth it. training to be a midwife is the best thing ive ever done and don't let this stop you. if u need any help or anything pm me. good luck! xx

Charlottie
22-07-11, 19:46
Thanks sarah! I've had my hep B vaccinations already! It's the HIV test that scares me :( but I'm pretty sure it will come back clear and I can't let my fear hold me back of what I really want to do.

Charlottie
25-07-11, 11:09
So I've applied for a course transfer to midwifery :)