PDA

View Full Version : SADS

LC05
02-05-06, 23:18
Has anyone heard of Long QT syndrome (LQT2), also known as SADS?

I read in the newspaper this weekend about a nurse that died suddenly of this, and now I cant stop worrying.

I have posted before about jerking awake at night feeling as if my heart has stopped. I've had ECGs, a cardiac event monitor and an echocardiogram, and they were all ok. But now im worrying that it could be this, and it hasnt been diagnosed.

Should I bring it up with the doctor????
Why is it as soon as ive got over one worry, i'm convinced i have something else??? I just want to stop thinking theres something wrong :(

boy
03-05-06, 12:01
The boy the charity was founded because of went to my secondary school. He died the year before I got there.

I also have that feeling :( I read a website with symptoms and it didn't say about jolting awake feeling like your heart had stopped. It said a history of repeated fainting - at least 1 episode of fainting by age 10 (I've never fainted in my life) and unexplained deaths in ther family (none as far as I know in mine) were causes for investigation.

When you jolt awake at night, isn't that because you stop breathing by mistake?

shiv
03-05-06, 12:21
I was worried about this but have been reassured by my dad, who is in a medical career, that sads or long qt or any other congenital defects like this show up very clearly on an echocardiogram (I've had one too). There are actually people out there campaigning to have these tests done on all teens to rule out SADS. But yours was clear as was mine and I PROMISE you, you're not going to drop down dead from sads or anything like it.

I hope that reassures you mate.

Shiv x

boy
03-05-06, 23:26
This thread has really ruined my day no offence, I'll be honest. I mean now I could go to sleep and not wake up.

Or I'll be dreaming I've died. This is an evil I didn't know was so common. Howe come it's not in the news more?

LC05
03-05-06, 23:36
Sorry - i didn't mean to make anyone else worry about this, it's just been on my mind. I think it is quite rare, thats probally why its not in the news more. Its just the way i jolt awake thats been panicking me, and when i read about this alarm bells started ringing in my head.

Ive also looked up your suggestion about the jolting awake being because I stop breathing, but this is only really with heavy snorers (though not everyone that snores has their breathing stop) so i dont think it is this as i dont snore at all.

I worry every night about not waking up again, but ive just gotta try and get over it cos i always do..! Today ive been thinking that if something was gonna happen that i couldn't avoid i dont wanna waste my time worrying about it. Still hasnt stopped me worrying though!

marie ross
03-05-06, 23:43
Hi, I get these symptoms also, i sometimes just suddenly wake up with a jolt and think i'm not breathing, it takes me a while to calm down and my heart is thudding. I've had an ECG 2 times, so i know there's nothing wrong with me. It's probably anxiety and panic but it's not nice, but i suffered with them for so long when it happens at night, i know it's just one of those things and eventually drop off to sleep again.

Don't worry about it, but if it's making you so anxious go and see your doctor just to put your mind at rest.

Marie XX

sarad
01-05-07, 19:03
After suffering palpitations for four months I ended up in accident and emergency and it appears that I have a prolonged qt interval in the heartbeat. I'm waiting for further tests but have none of the other symptoms of long qt syndrome. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

spuds
05-05-07, 17:46
As I understand it, Long QT syndrome is easily spotted on an ecg. If the 'jerking awake' feeling is as you are first going to sleep it is very common. It is called an hypnic jerk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

pgw84
05-05-07, 20:42
This is the thing that my health anxiety revolves around. Long QT and other heart conditions that cause sudden death in children and young adults. I knew someone who suddenly died last year after coming home and complaining of chest pains, they were only 21. I'm now terrified it's going to happen to me as I've always had chest pains on and off since I was young, now I get so many other heart symptoms too and I'm having a hard time to accept it's anxiety, as I genuinely don't think it is and no one believes me.

I had an ECG done a few months back. I was anxious about going, which made my heart beat fast. Does anyone know if this would mask any problems that would otherwise show?

I know how you feel LC05, unfortunately. :(