PDA

View Full Version : Worth seeing someone privately?

RNB81090
24-07-11, 14:37
Hi there,

I've taken 4 different types of medication in relation to my depression and anxiety, seen a person-centred counsellor and have been on a waiting list for 7 months to see a CBT therapist. Just wondering if it'd be worth paying to see someone privately in CBT or even hypnotherapy or anything else?

What are your experiences/reccomendations?

Thanks in advance!

ElizabethJane
25-07-11, 17:37
Hi there private psychiatric treatment is always going to be expensive but saying that I see my psychiatrist privately. If you have health insurance it might be an idea to see if you are covered? An inital consultation with a private psychiatrist can cost as much as £200.00. He/she will then decide whether you would benefit from CBT etc. I have also had NHS hypnosis from a local GP. It might be worth asking your GP if this is available in your area? It is something of a rarerity. EJ

stuart39
25-07-11, 21:18
i do wonder though whether private health insurance would cover known pre-existing conditions or symptoms? many exclude them. worth checking the small print.

ElizabethJane
26-07-11, 07:04
It would depend on your level of cover. BUPA did for me with exclusions but my psychiatric cover is now used up. I still have cover for medical/surgical conditions. EJ.

annette1
26-07-11, 20:50
Hi RN

I have been in therapy with a private psychologist for 21/2yrs. When i was diagnosed with a stress disorder my GP told me i would have a long wait on the NHS (about a year) & advised me to seek private therapy.
I have no regrets, it is expensive but the support i've had has been wonderful, being private I have been able to ring or email her when i've needed extra support.

You could make an appointment to discuss therapy privately then you would know more of what is involved.