PDA

View Full Version : A review of Propranolol 80mg. Alcohol experience too!

Babikins
24-07-11, 23:25
Hello there people :welcome:

I take one Propranolol 80mg slow release capsule in a morning and have been doing for the past few weeks. I also take 30mg of Mirtazapine in the evenings to help me sleep and to alleviate the depressive disposition I sometimes find myself with.

A brief review :)

Firstly we have to bear in mind that everyone is different and although experiences will be similar, there are not set guidlines for text book reactions that fit everybody!

For the physical symptoms associated with anxiety, Propranolol has been a miracle drug. The slow release format means that I recieve a steady dose throughout the day and this has been wonderful in helping me control my panic attacks and anxiety.

For me, panic attacks were often triggered by a rush of feeling dizzy, which sparked off a full blown anxiety meltdown! With propranolol regulating the uptake of adrenaline I find that the 'rush' sensation just doesn't happen anymore which in turn, prevents the attack from ever happening.

My usual blood pressure is 110/80 or there abouts, with a resting heart rate somewhere between 65-80. I have been monitoring my blood pressure (as Propranolol is of course a drug primarily used in treating high blood pressure) and I can report that it has not dropped dangerously low at any point, with the lowest reading being 100/70, and no change in my resting heart rate.

The only downside (and to be honest I cannot 100% be sure it is in fact the Propranolol) is that I have trouble falling asleep. This may well be an interaction with the Mirtazapine. It isn't dreadful and as someone who had insomnia for nearly a year before taking Mirt, I can say it isn't too bad in comparison to the old days!

Yesterday I had my first taste of alcohol since starting the Propranolol. As the ex-manager of a bar this was quite something :D!

I had two large glasses of 12% rosé (by large we are talking 250ml, just over a third of a bottle in each glass). I did feel drowsier than usual and tipsier than I normally would after that amount. To be honest i am glad I was drinking at home with friends and family as I think the drowsiness would have perhaps panicked me had I have been in a public place.

So, thats all I can tell you about Propranolol for now. I hope this is of use to someone out there :blush:

Thanks for reading!

Abigail.

tomy
25-07-11, 15:16
i was just about to ask about propranolol too

i also take 30mg of Mirtazapine an just been given propranolol 80mg slow release capsule...

but im worried about it slowing my heat rate too much..

Babikins
25-07-11, 15:39
I was nervous too, believe me! I can be a worrier when it comes to new meds, but this really has been a life saver. Combined with the mirtazapine I feel like a new woman. Be brave, you won't regret it! I have low-sh blood pressure and a heart rate that it relatively low. However as I understand it Propranolol does not slow the heart specifically, it just stopes it from going TOO high. I've not experienced anything untoward with Propranolol to cause concern at all.

Abigail.

tomy
25-07-11, 16:35
awwww thanks for replying hun.....

i WILL be brave an start taking them...i've had them here two weeks already :whistles:

i'm glad its working for you hun, hope they work for me too x

Babikins
26-07-11, 18:51
I can confirm Propranolol is causing my sleepless nights! I'm 99% sure as I have not had problems like this since I started taking Mirtazapine to help me sleep and there are no other new drugs I'm taking. This may just be me but I have read other posters complaining of the same thing. :weep:

eight days a week
26-07-11, 19:02
An interesting post, thanks!

I can say pretty much 100% that for me there is no interaction between the same Propanolol that Babikins takes and alcohol, but we are all different :)

Carrera74
27-07-11, 18:54
I took this medication some years ago and didn't have any noticable affects when drinking alcohol.

This time round the first time I had a drink I felt jittery but as the weeks have gone on I seem to not have any effects other than feeling a bit more drunk. I'm a cheaper date!

karlwirral
29-07-11, 00:24
I have trouble sleeping too. I often wake 2/3 times during night. and find it difficult to get back off.

Also alcohol with propranolol is fine my doctor said it is normal to feel more sleepy when you drink alcohol with propranolol which to be fair isnt a bad thing as i usually get a decent nights sleep if i have a couple of pints.

nomorepanic
29-07-11, 00:55
I was nervous too, believe me! I can be a worrier when it comes to new meds, but this really has been a life saver. Combined with the mirtazapine I feel like a new woman. Be brave, you won't regret it! I have low-sh blood pressure and a heart rate that it relatively low. However as I understand it Propranolol does not slow the heart specifically, it just stopes it from going TOO high. I've not experienced anything untoward with Propranolol to cause concern at all.

Abigail.

It does slow the heart down and side effects include sleep disturbance

When do you take it?

akadawny
18-12-12, 20:20
I was having issues getting off to sleep, so I started taking the propranolol (80 mg slow release)and mirtrizapine (45mg) both at night. I have the occasional night where I have trouble dozing off, but I have mostly found the sedative part of the mirtrapine overcomes it :)

I am interested about the alcohol, as I am going out christmas eve and would like a few drinks, is it safe? I dont want it to slow my heartrate down if I drink on them.

folypeelarks
22-12-12, 13:07
I have exactly the opposite opinion - for 4 months this medication (80mg) ruined my whole life.In the mornings I couldn't think about anything different except to be faster when I drink my coffee because I was so anxious that if I don't take this da*n propanolol something bad will happen to me.Every time when I took It my whole day passed away in me just staring in one point and not been able to accomplish anything because the medication sucked out my whole power.
When my panic attacks started I didn't have health anxiety.Now I'm constantly thinking about blood pressures and heart rates because my organism has accustomed to the medication and if I don't take it these two values are slightly higher and I panic.My heart is in perfect health but propanolol totally confused it and made me feel like it's not ok at all.
Propanolol doesn't treat anxiety!It's a beta-blocker - a medication for people with cardiological problems.Now I'm undergoing a therapy and my psychiatrist is totally against any kind of medications because they are not solutions - they just control the anxiety which perfectly matches with my old opinion.I'm so angry - currently I'm in a process of stopping the propanolol because I don't want to live my whole life with a healthy heart that's treated like an ill one.
Just 2 sessions with a therapist and I already feel much more confident with my anxiety.4 months on a medication that's deadly wrong to be prescribed for a person that's in a perfect physical health and my anxiety mutated into all kinds of shapes and colors.
Guys, this is my own opinion, but I strongly advise You to get rid of this sh*t as soon as possible.If anyone needs any help with stopping the propanolol than feel free to ask me for help.It's really hard but I learned few things about how to stop it with a bit more ease than expected. :)

P.S. By the way, recently few papers were published claiming that Beta-blockers do not decrease the risks even in people with real cardiological problems.There are some suggestions that in near future the production of beta blockers will stop and they will be substituted with a new group of medications with a name that currently I can't remember.

tashkia_89
10-07-17, 10:43
I've been taking bedranol 80mg to treat my anxiety. It has worked wonders but when I drink alcohol, I feel awful. I took a tablet on Friday when I was feeling uneasy. I felt fine later on then the next day I had a few drinks. On the Sunday I felt very weak, drowsy and faint. The same today. Feel very drowsy and generally tired. I didn't sleep too well either but not too sure if that's from stress?? I'm speaking to my doctor in a few days so hopefully will be able to get some more insight.