PDA

View Full Version : Hair dye..

xJust_Sarahx
25-07-11, 18:46
Hi
So i decided today that i was going to stop been a wuss and dye my hair because i hate it when my roots come through, i always get warey when its due to dye your hair because i always think im going to have a breathing allergic reaction and i never do the strand test until of late.

Anyways so this morning i dyed my hair, had no itching no feeling dizzy or anything, just the usual opening the windows to make sure there was some fresh air in because you all know how bad the immonia smells in it.

Anyway now im sitting at the computer and im feeling breathless and struggling for air and really not with it, and im wondering whether im having an allergic reaction to the hair dye now? If i was going to have a serious one where it would affect my breathing and i needed help would it of happned this morning or does it need time to kick in? I dont know how long serious reactions take.

I cant get it into my head that its just my usual anxiety, but because i died my hair and reading the side affects that could happen im relating it to that?

Advice please :) x

qrydem1987
25-07-11, 18:58
any serious allergic reaction is instant... infact when someone has a serious alergy i.e to a food, the reaction kicks in before they have even time to finish the mouthful of food. and if its was a major allergic reaction to hair dye, it would seriously effect your head and eyes well before your breathing. Allergies normaly occure only on the surface area the chemicals, foods, touch. Your fine....

This reminds me of myself... when i started to drink caffeine and enjoy a beer again. the worry and fear before and during i was drinking. i was in a state encase it was going to cause a panic attack. Some people are affraid of useing a different toothpaste or eat different foods encase have a similar reaction...

This is all normal because the brain is on such high alert and very concious of the enviorments and products we come into contact with... Calm down you will see you be fine...

The good news is next time you dye your hair or use a similar product you will not be as scared. Well done for being brave!!

xJust_Sarahx
25-07-11, 19:02
Thankyou for the advice, :)

suspicious1
25-07-11, 21:04
Yes it would happem very quickly, and the first thing you would notice would be your head seriously burning and itching and going very red and swollen. I have many allergies, hair dye included (I now have foils so nothing touches my skin)

loveletter
25-07-11, 23:11
I have done quite a lot of research into hair dye reactions.
A reaction sometimes can take up to 48 hours to show it self.
Many people are fine until the next day.
Also if you are allergic to hair dye please please do not have foils or a streaking cap. Even if nothing touches the skin when you next wash your hair the chemicals on the hair that has been dyed leek out and you could then have a allergic reaction.
Sarah I do not think you are showing the signs of a reaction.
I had to stop dyeing my hair a year and a half ago after doing it blonde for 34 years.
I started getting headaches after doing my hair then sometime later my body was a bit itchy from head to toe but no rash or anything. Started going dizzy and felt like I could not breath but that was the panic in me.
I am unsure if I am allergic or if the whole thing was my anxiety and I suppose I will never know.
I have been blond since I was 13 years old and I have had to get used to being dark now thank God as yet have no Gray
I have researched and talked to some experts and I can assure you that no hair dye is safe even the ones in health shops.
The only thing that is usually safe in most people is Henna .

haynsey
26-07-11, 18:26
Hi, did you do a patch test 24/48hrs before dying your hair?

pussy cat
26-07-11, 20:28
hi there,
the symptoms you describe make it very doubtful that it was anything to do with the hair colour-as someone has said head,eyes & face are the most likely places to be affected-reaction is normally within hours but can occur the next day (thats why they advise a skin test 24 hrs prior)i am a fully qualified hairdresser & in all the years of hairdressing reactions to colours/perms don,t happen that often-the smell of amonia can & does take your breath but there are loads on the market now that are amonia free-to colour the hair blonde-usually by bleaching is an entirely different thing-years ago it was usually done with powdered bleach & peroxide-this did cause more cases of reaction but none similar to the lady that answered your thread-1 word of advice though DO NOT use henna-it is unbelievably strong & gives a totally unrealistic false matt effect-shop around for an amonia free product-follow the instructions & do a strand test,if all is well then carry on colouring-you will feel much better to know that you,ve conquered your fears & look lovely as well - nothing worse than roots showing is there. :yesyes:

qrydem1987
26-07-11, 21:45
Just wanted to add that yes as people mentioned.. Mild alergic reactions or mild irritation can occur over 48 hours but life threatening severe reactions i.e are instant and very obvious

haynsey
26-07-11, 23:12
Being a trained hairdresser, i was told that the patch/skin test irradicated the problem of a serious reaction, this is to avoid the salons/hairdresser getting sued for any client who has an reaction...you then could sue wella or Loreal for the own advice wouldnt be any good.....many salons wouldnt take the risk if the skin test didnt work..

MandySlade
27-07-11, 02:47
IF you were having a reaction (as was mentioned) it would be mild by this point.. and I'm adding that it would almost certainly -start- with actual scalp and ear irritation/itching. If you were going into shock you wouldn't just feel breathless either, you would feel actual swelling in your throat. BTW, what color did you dye it? Any color "can" cause the reaction, but it's FAR more likely to happen with darker colors because the reaction is almost always related to PPD (p-Phenylenediamine)... and the darker the color the more PPD. In fact, plenty of light blonde and red dyed don't have it at all.

Fly away Katie
27-07-11, 18:21
It would of happened straight away, honestly. Ive had that with hair dye too x