PDA

View Full Version : Periodontitis and heart disease/stroke - not coping

SamanthaAU
26-07-11, 11:20
I went to the dentist last week and she confirmed that I have periodontitis (gum infection basically)

She put me on antibiotics and did a deep clean and wants to see me in 3 months.

But I googled it (yes stupid me I know) and it says that people with periodontal issues have a high risk of stroke and heart disease.

You can never really reverse the periodontitis just keep on top of it - but now all I am doing is worrying that I have caused irrepairable damage to my arteries etc.

Why why why does this stuff have to effect us so badly. I am terrified every day that I am not going to live to see my babies grow up. Can't do it anymore :(

Ingenious
26-07-11, 16:06
But I googled it (yes stupid me I know) and it says that people with periodontal issues have a high risk of stroke and heart disease.

This isn't strictly true. It is not the case that people with periodontal disease have a high risk of heart disease, rather that people have a higher risk. Even if the risk is doubled, you have to appreciate what risk means statistically. It could mean you have 2% chance instead of 1% chance. But you are still highly unlikely to get it. Always take headline statistics with a pinch of salt.

Also, articles that say people with periodontal disease have more chance of having a stroke, might mean again you have a 2 in 100 chance of having a stroke compared to 1 in 100.

Remind yourself that if periodontal disease was a major indicator of heart disease or stroke to the level you are thinking, they would have taken you into hospital or put you on major medication or given you major surgery.

I hope that makes sense and puts your mind at rest :) Remember the saying: statistics, statistics and damned lies (I may have murdered that somewhat!).

SamanthaAU
27-07-11, 10:38
I just keep worrying about the irreversible damage I have already done to my body :(

MVP123
27-07-11, 16:51
Do u mind me asking you what your symptoms are, as I think I have the same thing but haven't been to my dentists in about 10 years!!

SamanthaAU
28-07-11, 05:01
Sore, inflammed gums :)

Oh, and the tooth it was near was a teeny bit loose