PDA

View Full Version : Selfishness - A side effect of anxiety?

Babikins
26-07-11, 21:39
When I am having a 'good' day with my anxiety, I would like to think I'm very pleasant to people and I try to help others as much as I can if it is needed. I'm no mother Theresa, but I like to lend a helping hand!

But when I have a bad day, it's like 'welcome to planet Abi, this is about me!' I just cannot focus on anyone or anything other than how bad I feel, how worried, how panicked! I'm insular and moody, I inisist on being on my own one minute and then demand company the next in case I faint or some other nonsense I tell myself could happen to me!

Does anyone else ever get this feeling?

Abigail.

qrydem1987
26-07-11, 21:48
Yes i treated my girlfriend very badly during the worst of my anxiety and the rest of the family, id also be moody and sometimes abusive... infact sometimes i hated them for feeling normal and for not understand what my condition is.

But like you said in times of anxiety you ignore the world and the people init as you are tra[ed inside your head and thoughts.

Regards

James1983
26-07-11, 21:50
It can be very hard to be nice when we are anxious like we are. i can get very short tempered with the people around me when i am having panic episodes.:weep:

Babikins
26-07-11, 22:02
I completely agree with feeling a bit annoyed that others appear to be normal, it's something I have struggled to deal with for years. Funny how we lash out at those closest to us.

And short tempered, I get that too... Not pleasant!

eight days a week
26-07-11, 22:04
Oh yes, it's incredibly easy to only focus inwards when anxiety strikes - in fact I think it's the default reaction!

I was introduced to 'mindfulness' by both friends and a therapist and need to consciously use it. It's in my 'tool box', but a tool I usually pass over. That's a shame, because I think it's probably useful not only for becoming less insular when anxious, but ultimately (perhaps) bridging that gap totally between extreme anxiety and being with others.

(I think I've been given many tools over the years and need to stick to introducing just one or two at a time, rather than having a whole load I never use!! :roflmao:)

ItchyOne
28-07-11, 08:03
I am exactly like that too! When I'm having a good day, I spend more time with my wife, playing with my son, etc. But when I'm having a bad day, I can be really cranky, and unpredictable. Sometimes I wish to be left alone, while other times I demand my wife's company.