PDA

View Full Version : Weight-Neutral Anti-depressants

xhyperyogix
27-07-11, 20:34
Hey all.

Reached the stage where I think I may have to give Ad's a go. I can't see any other way. BUT, I'd become completely inconsolable if I even so much as gained a pound in weight, which is why I've never considered them before. I work in a job that means I can't get bigger!!! Anyone had good experiences and not had weight issues??? Main problem (well last 3 weeks anyway) has been good ol fashioned depression, but no panic. It's like my body is so depressed it can't even summon up any reserves to panic about it....Pretty sure they'll come back tho - they alwasy do....

PS already on Temazepams for sleep.

Sorry if this is a depressing thread..but thanks for any help....:wacko:

Love (not-so) hyper xxx

raverminx
28-07-11, 11:29
i think sertiline/zoloft is pretty good, apprently you can even lose weight on it. start up side effects are horrible. im day 3 and feel terrible. all other antidepressants have made me gain weight so ive chose this one out of the others. if i gain weight then i will stop them. im currently 10stone, the moment i get to 10.5 i will discontinue them.
i was a happy size 8/10 before i went on to seroxat and then gained 4 stone and went up to a size 16. i came of seroxat after a few years and lost 2 stone without really trying. im now a size 12 but want to lose another stone.

good luck

keta
28-07-11, 12:29
I been on Citalopram 3 times and never really put much weight on it maybe a pound or two but nothing major. When you go and see your GP tell them that you are concerned about weight gain.
Keta

xhyperyogix
03-08-11, 18:18
thanks all! just got back from the docs, and she is happy for me to try some of the natural things (5htp etc) with her monitoring me, as I feel that drugs ones is a bit of overkill with me. We had an interesting chat about actually the 'natural' things can be just as strong as the drug ones. So, if i do go that route, it's very nice to know I have her support. And also probably best for anyone thinking of taking anything natural to speak to thier gp first too. I am aware that I'm very lucky that she does know about these things as I've heard other people say that thier docs haven't been as supportive.

Love Hyper xx

xhyperyogix
04-08-11, 21:59
Doh, you know sometimes I am soo silly!! I had the biggest conversation about everything (I had a list of topics!), apart from weight gain. Doh. So, it wasn't mentioned, althougb she will know it's something I wouldn't be happy about AT ALL!

So, anyway, we talked about the natural ADs as I am a bit unhappy to be taking chemical ones as I've said. Even taking natural ones may not be a good idea for me I think...

From what I can see on my google research (into 5-htp and to a lessor degree st johns wort) they are actually sold also as appetite suppressants sometimes too!!! Which makes no sense AT ALL to me.... Everything 'herbal' seems to say it makes you loose weight, sicne that is a BIG MARKET!! It doesn't fill me with confidence..... Apparently 5htp is like putting more serotonin in your body (equiv to old style ads) and st johns wort is like ssri (stop serotonin being re-absorbed). So, considering they have the same sort of chemical pathways to eachother, then surely you'd gain weight on the natural ones too since they are effectively doing exactly the same job........

So, my conclusion is I've not tried any of these things in any consistant / scientific way so really can I comment? Probably not...

If I do try anything ( and if i do it will be with gp consent / support rather than deciding to take this and that for a few days and see what happens which is what i usually do!!), I will let you know! xxxxx Hyper xxxx

raverminx
05-08-11, 19:24
5htp is actually really good aswell as omega 3 fish oil.

many of my friends have tried 5htp and it worked for them. i have a chemical imbalance so i needed something stronger.

Davevanza
30-08-11, 07:09
Hey all.

Reached the stage where I think I may have to give Ad's a go. I can't see any other way. BUT, I'd become completely inconsolable if I even so much as gained a pound in weight, which is why I've never considered them before. I work in a job that means I can't get bigger!!! Anyone had good experiences and not had weight issues??? Main problem (well last 3 weeks anyway) has been good ol fashioned depression, but no panic. It's like my body is so depressed it can't even summon up any reserves to panic about it....Pretty sure they'll come back tho - they alwasy do....

PS already on Temazepams for sleep.

Sorry if this is a depressing thread..but thanks for any help....:wacko:

Love (not-so) hyper xxx

Hi,

At one stage, I think , back in 1996-97, I was on Moclobemide.

It's not stimulating nor sedating.

It's a Reversible inhibitor of Monoamine -A

It's a MAOI type A in other words.

The good thing is, within therapeutic dose which i took, 300mg twice daily , it required no food restriction. ( As MAOIs require restriction from food high in Tyramine).

So I was on 600mg.

This particular thing, as being RIMA, it prevents oxidation of Serotonin, Noradrenaline and Dopamine, thus making these neurotransmitters more concentrated on the synaptic clefts.

Also, another good thing of Aurorix( Moclobemide), the Brand name here in Australia, is that, The inhibition of oxidation of the amines is reversed within 24 hours, even though its half life is 2 hours in our blood.

So unlike other MAOIs, which is non selective, The inhibition of oxidation of the monoamines could be from 3 days to several weeks.

I found, that, while taking Moclobemide, I didn't lose nor gain weight.
Just neutral.

But remember, everyone reacts differently even on the same medication, and the best sound advice to ask is your own doctors who knows you better.

I hope my experience with this is helpful,

kind regards,
dave

xhyperyogix
24-09-11, 00:25
hey Dave, thanks for that post (which I've only just realised you posted-sorry). I've not actually gone on any ADs since i got into a better place again, but that'sreally useful info anyway since I know that I'll crash again as tends to happen. I'm going to google thenm.......

PS Raver, I have been taking Omega (veggie ones) for a while - and yeah I think they are very good at balancing things out...

Love yas all hyper xxx