PDA

View Full Version : Scared of being sick on the plane

CHEZ1
04-05-06, 12:06
Hi

I have emetophobia and am going away next week to Lanzarote. I am terrified of being sick on the plane. I have recently been in hospital, got rushed in with bad stomach pain. The docs still dont know what is wrong with me, they have made a guess that I have a ulcer. I am on medication for it, and am currently waiting for tests to confirm it from the hospital. I have been given antisickness tablets called metroclopramide and also diazapan to manage my symptoms. Would these things be enough to stop it? I am so anxious about it I was even thinking of not going. And have even had suicidal feelings because of it. Plus I am pain most of the time and just really miserable. I also feel quite sick with bad heartburn and my stomach is that bloated it looks and feels like I am 9 months preganant. (I am not as I have had a test and it was negative).

I just dont know what to do, I am due to go back to the docs next week, should I just tell him how I feel? I am a bit scared to tell him in fear of him laughing at me. My fear of being sick is that bad I would rather die.

Please help me!!

tammyg
04-05-06, 22:20
Hi and welcome

Yes it is a real fear so why shouldn't you tell your Dr? If he is a professional (which he obviously is) he will not laugh at you. I am sure he would be more than helpful and put your mind at rest. And if not, see a different one and keep trying. You could print some information off and take it with you if you are unsure.

I'm not sure about the tablets as I've had no experience of them but I'm assuming they would work if you have been given them. Hope you get on ok.

If you decide to go to the Drs I hope you get the understanding you are looking for. Let us know how you get on.

Tammy x

Coyote
06-05-06, 00:35
Hi Chez,

I'd recommend if you can choose your seat (quite common these days), choose an aisle seat, center rear of the plane, that way you can get access to the rear toilet, without having everyone see you.

It also has the added benefit of being near the hostess staff, who would help you should you have any issues at all.

Incidentally, I believe the drug metroclopramide is quite effective, it speeds the through-put per sae of the content from your stomach (incidentally chemotherapy patients also use it to combat sickness due to treatment etc), so I'd imagine it would be quite effective. I'm pretty sure if you manage your diet the days before the flight, and stick a couple packets of energy sweeties (like those Lucozade ones) in your carry on bag (keep yer sugar blood level up), you'll be fine. :)

I agree with Tammy about the doctor, they won't laugh at you, Emetophobia is more common than you think. Please please do discuss it with your doctor, there is no one better to put your mind at ease about your symptoms and medicines.

No one likes being sick, its awful, but natural. A symptom, not an illness. It is one of those things where the anticipation thereof, is worse than the actual occurance. They key to 'not overthinking about it' on the plane? Keep your mind distracted, by all means talk, or even buy a puzzle book in the airport newsagent and concentrate on that (wordsearches are ideal).

If all else fails, there is a natural way to combat nausea and it does work if done right. On your left wrist (underside), the two tendons you can feel with your thumb, apply pressure between the two with your thumb about an inch down from your wrist. (the Nei Kuan acupressure point).

I bought an electronic device that works on similar concepts but really DOES work, its like the method above, only it can emit an electrical signal on this point, thereby affecting the nerve that sends the 'nausea' signal from your stomach to your brain. Basically if your stomach sends the signal to your brain, it doesn't get through, a bit like phoning someone who is on the line, you get an engaged tone, so to speak.

The item is called "ReliefBand", and it worked well for me, look it up on a search engine and see what you think. You should be able to find studies on its effectiveness as well. The sensation is weird at first, but its not bad. They're also not too cheap, but see what you think.

Ultimately, you gotta know that you're gonna be alright, I promise you that. Head up, concentrate on good things and above all, look forward to and enjoy your trip! :)

mjh74
06-05-06, 18:04
Hi Chez,

I too am an emetophobe sufferer and flew last week for the first time in 13 years. I was terrified of being sick on the plane as well, funnily I got a seat RIGHT at the back there and back! I was right next to the toilet but didn't even nearly need it whilst up there. I knew before I got on the plane that I was more than likely going to be ok and that I was generating all sorts of thoughts to create and make the fear seem real. The flight was fine there and back and I'm sure it will be the same for you too! I'm a hater of anything like fair ground rides and tend to suffer motion sickness in certain situations but the flight was fine!

Mark x