PDA

View Full Version : New anxiety group opening in Swansea...if you are interested please read on...

~glowly worm~
29-07-11, 11:47
A bit about me and why I am doing this:

•I've been a member of No More Panic for over a year now
• I am recovering from: OCD, panic disorder, specific phobias (including travelling) and separation anxiety disorder (which is manageable if still difficult these days).
•I'm about to enter the final year of a psychology degree.
•Recognising the lack of support in our area I discovered a charity called Triumph Over Phobia, who train individuals to run recovery support groups based on the book Living with Fear (Professor I.M. Marks). I am really excited to have been accepted to set up a group locally, have found a room and am now in a position to find the first members :)

What does it cost/is there a waiting list?

•Groups presently have no waiting list and we hope to keep it that way.
•They will occur once a week for one hour.
•If you are working we ask for a donation of £5 per week. If not it is anything from £2.50 to £1.

Who can join?

Anyone with single or multiple phobias or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder who wishes to gain support in recovering from others who understand how difficult this can be.

Who else will be running the group?

A friend of mine who is undertaking her Masters in psychology, might be assisting me with the running of the group. This is so that if i cannot make it one week the group can continue so as to not jeapordise anyones progress and to provide me with support in planning exposures.

What will I have to do?

•You will be encouraged to face your fears at your own pace with encouragement from myself and others in similar positions.
•You will be asked to think about your reasons for recovery as this can help you when dealing with your exposure work.
• There is no time limit to attending but the group would ask for a commitment to recovery- again at your own pace.
• If you feel you can’t even say the words that you fear right now that is okay too, you will be helped to gently do so and go from there.
•Each week you will be set a piece of homework based on gently, progressively exposing yourself to what you fear.
•You will be asked to obtain a copy (from the library) of the book Living With Fear and to read a couple of chapters.

Is it safe?

•Deep delving will NOT be done into why you developed fears.
•The work is very surface level, meaning we tackle *solutions* rather than causes.
• It is based on exposing yourself to thing you normally avoid. So although it is not comfortable you will not be expected to talk in depth about personal issues.
•It has been developed by mental health professionals

What if i don't like it?

You are free to come to the first meeting just to find out more, there is no pressure to continue attending if you feel it is not right for you.

Will others find out I am attending?

•Only if you tell them.
•Group leaders and assistants are bound by confidentiality so nothing said will leave the room unless we have concern for you or another person's safety in which case we will tell you.
•The group will be open so anyone may join each week but we will ask that members keep what is said in the room to themselves and each other.

When will it start?

The aim is to get the first meeting off the ground by early October.

I live outside Swansea- can i join?

Absolutely! The aim is to reach as many people as possible.

What is Triumph Over Phobia?

A national charity based in Bath with an excellent track record of helping people recover from OCD and specific phobias.

To find out more please call: Triumph Over Phobia's Development Worker Trilby Breckman on: 01225 422 705

Email me: 490416@swansea.ac.uk (490416@swansea.ac.uk)

Or visit the website: http://www.topuk.org (http://www.topuk.org/) where you can apply to join.
I look forward to hearing from you :)

Best Wishes,
Anastasia.

LucyLiz
29-07-11, 20:06
Hi, would it be suitable for people with GAD & panic attacks or just for phobias? Thanks, Lucy x

~glowly worm~
30-07-11, 12:25
Hi Lucy,

I will ask my supervisor and get back to you, I'm pretty sure it will be fine as the method is straight forward but... I'll check before confirming and get back to you as soon as i know as I would hate it to not be right for you. Hope that is okay?

Best Wishes,

Anastasia.

LucyLiz
30-07-11, 13:39
That's fine thanks, I'm in the Swansea valleys so this would be something I'd be interested in if indeed appropriate for me :-)

~glowly worm~
30-07-11, 16:30
Brilliant Lucy,

I will phone my supervisor on Monday and let you know as soon as I hear, it sometimes takes a while as she is busy.
However, I hope it is suitable as it would be great to have you on board and as soon as I know i will post here.

Warm wishes,

A x

~glowly worm~
01-08-11, 14:26
Hi again Lucy,

Just to let you know my supervisor is on hols at present so will get back to you as soon as i hear anything.

Warm Wishes,

A x

~glowly worm~
08-09-11, 13:51
Hi Lucy,

Firstly I am so very sorry for taking so long to reply, my supervisor was away.

The group might be suitable for you but please could I ask you the following questions first?

1) Do you GAD and panic attacks stop you from doing things you would like to/need to do?

2) If so what?

The group would probably be able to help you if you answer yes to question one and can clarify what it stops you from doing as we could help you set goals and encourage/help you to slowly work towards doing these things so that you can enjoy them again.
The best thing to do if you answer yes, would be to come along to one or two sessions and see whether you feel it might help.
I look forward to hearing from you,

Best Wishes,
Anastasia ;)