PDA

View Full Version : Scared of the disease LAM

Haruka
29-07-11, 11:55
It's a lung disease that effects young women in their child bearing years... I just recently read about it and now I am scared that I am going to get it! I do have breathing problems from asthma, but it still scares me that it could be LAM. I don't have any symptoms other than a hard time breathing. I need some comforting words so I can stop being paranoid about it :weep:

Hope38
29-07-11, 12:01
What does it stand for?? Ive worked on an acute medical ward since 1995 and i've never heard of it. Asthma is hard enough to deal with. All I can say is the amount of patients i've had during the years and I'm not familar with it so I think logicaly it would be highly unlikely x

Geoff2301
29-07-11, 16:19
What Is LAM?

LAM, or lymphangioleiomyomatosis (lim-FAN-je-o-LI-o-MI-o-ma-TO-sis), is a rare lung disease. It mostly affects women in their mid-thirties and forties.
In LAM, abnormal, muscle-like cells begin to grow out of control in certain organs or tissues, especially the lungs, lymph nodes, and kidneys.
Over time, these LAM cells can grow throughout the lungs and destroy the normal lung tissue. As a result, air can’t move freely in and out of the lungs. In some cases, this means the lungs can’t supply the body’s other organs with enough oxygen.

Basically, I wouldn't worry about it...... it's so rare